Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey I'm totally new to this, a couple questions:

What is an atlas pass and where do I get it? I keep on finding barrels that need one.

What do I do with all these vortex cubes I keep finding littered about?

According to my menu I can "consume" some things. Should I be eating stuff?

E: or if there's a decent newbie guide that answers all this feel free to send me to that instead.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, thanks I was wondering what was up with the random low res ground textures.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Vortex Cubes exist to be sold. Consuming stuff will boost your life support bar a tiny bit, but that stuff can also be cooked at some point. Alas, there's isn't really a newbie guide, but there's always the wiki.
Ahh thanks, thought I was missing something important.

Fixed up my spaceship, flew to a new planet and now I’m apparently supposed to build a log cabin??

I don’t get this game. Shouldn’t I be assembling walls of carbon foam or some other space age material? I haven’t even felled a tree, just shrubs so presumably I have terrible taste and am assembling particle board in the shape of logs. This is McMansion Hell in space.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a way to find previously visited locations? I had to book it from a ruin after I pissed off some sentinels and I can't find it again.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks, building save beacons makes sense - or getting some more charts.

Man I'm super conflicted about this game. Like, it wants me to explore but every inch of every planet has more stuff so everything that has already been discovered is kinda meaningless. Kinda wrecks that feeling of discovery when I realize I can name a region but I'll never go back and the same things can be found elsewhere.