Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Because inevitably we’ll want to to post a FAQ to capture that 10% of people who read the OP instead of just poo poo posting away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

So apparently there’s another goon discord up and we don’t want to duplicate/split the community.

Can you please change the link to https://discord.gg/cPA3BsC

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Isn't there a trophy for getting to the centre in Permadeath mode?

How long does it take to do that if you just beeline to center?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I wish carbon still replenished your life supports, but I accept that was patches and patches ago.

At least there’s a quick menu to refill your life support and weapon, there wasn’t at launch and it was one of the most tedious things ever.

In fact I feel the big theme with all the patches has been we learned what was tedious and tried to improve it.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Left my PC running today and turned off sleep. Hopefully steam downloaded the update at some point on its own so I can jump right into dying two minutes into my play through.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

AlmightyPants posted:

Do freighters still cost a loving fortune? I was starting to grind towards one before I burned out on the game.

You get a welfare one as part of the tutorial so there’s that

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

I too like to endlessly load shaders, please tell me it doesn’t do this on every start up...

Edit: I think I loaded everyone’s shaders, you’re welcome

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

I would compare NMS's UI problems to Skyrim before SkyUI, not unusable just I would never go back once I've experience the improvements.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

So turns out I have a ton of units on my first character.

Shady goons, how do I launder all my money to my new character? Are they on the same seed pre and post NEXT?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Legs Benedict posted:

i accidentally didn't click "accept" on the Welfare Freighter and now it lets me store stuff on it but not summon it because i don't technically "own" it

grrr

Are you able to send ships off on missions? I think I might be suffering this bug too, keeps saying I can’t summon it here, no matter where I go

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Forgive me if this has been posted before but drat....

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1022148562434629632

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

So supposedly fleets of freighters or did they misspeak and mean fleets of frigates that you use for your missions?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

John F Bennett posted:

Why haven't you upgraded your jetpack yet? I can jet and sprint for miles. You should be able to do this within the first hour, they're pretty cheap.

How does one go about doing that?

Also I vaguely remember something about if you placed upgrades next to each other it boosted the whole?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

queeb posted:

Just keep leaving and joining random multi games and go to the station. Check for s rank stuff and get your suit upgrade, repeat.

So check all the vendors? These are the ones that want nanites right?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think you eventually get a call to respond when you leave a planet that starts the quest line.

Is my game funky or does that station just appear out of thin air?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

This video explained a lot of good starter tips everyone should know of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU1ITYj2jt8

Combined with the reddit post linked to above about optimizing upgrade modules and you'll do alright.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

1. The wiki is outdated when it lists regular freighters and capital freighters given that everything is capital now (perhaps capital and super capital are more appropriate now EVE:O style). Barring aesthetics what are the differences between the two classes?

2. Has anyone confirmed that you can scum your way to the large variant of the star destroyer for your free freighter ( resurgent class? Also how do S classes fit in to this?

3. Can we please start a spreadsheet of the bonus ranges for S class upgrades (we could for example require screenshots for submissions that top the current known max) so that people know what’s worth rerolling or not for the min maxers amongst us? There’s so much unknown with this game that it would be great to finally start understand the numbers behind this game.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Superconductor trick is nice and what not but what's the gimmick for nanites, need more S Ranks

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

What's the guidance on picking recruitable frigates?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Always warp with your freighter basically, it’s awesome as long as you’re not falling through the world, even then be sure to get cool photos for us.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Azhais posted:

Freighters have a very short jump range. Get some hyperdrive upgrades on a ship, economy and conflict scanners, and have the luxury of warping 600+ ly searching for the perfect system. Only end up using like 10% warp fuel per jump with good modules and you can just summon the freighter to you when you find a home.

Did not know this. How much does ship type matter for this? I found a 48 slot A class hauler I’m worried I won’t be finding anything this nice for a while.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

How much was it because I want something like that so bad right now and need a goal that isn't just "get money" or "improve stuff."

Also as an aside, do I ever learn how to make technology modules or microprocessors? If yes is it random or is there a specific path I can go down to get them faster?

It was around 110 mil if I remember correctly, remember to get your S rank scanner modules people

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Azhais posted:

My 48 slot hauler cost me 112m

There we go, I only had to hand over 108 with trade in value.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

So is there a max slot for exploration or combat ships? Do only haulers reach 48?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Waffle House posted:

So we confirmed that upgrades stack?

You can put three in your tech tab and three in your inventory

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Waffle House posted:

gently caress yes

I'm seeing a lot of A-Wing here and liking it. Also the slot count :stonk: Where'd you find it?

This is your bible, read it and know it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes. Fighters and explorers max is 38, I believe. Each class has a type (S/M/L) based on the ship's actual look. Bigger model = more slots.

I mainly get nanites from those :mad:

So do the large types of explorerers or fighters trade away their combat effectiveness or warp range for that higher slot count?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Kenshin posted:

The biggest problem with NMS's UI is it is designed with a controller in mind so those of us on PC with mouse & keyboard feel like we're navigating a crippled UI.

Ya I’ve been pretty adamant it feels like Skyrim before playing with SkyUI

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

explosivo posted:

I would kill for a UI overhaul mod for this but it'd also have to change a lot more than just the UI. This game needs an autosort or autostack button that just puts everything in a stack if it's available. I can't believe there's still no way to look at your pack inventory and your ship inventory side-by-side.

Given that all that is probably done client side I don’t see why it wouldn’t be feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

SubNat posted:

Oh boy, oh boy! Found a S-rank station, and this system has a bunch of planets! Surely I'll get a multitool I can use!

... oh. :smith:
I am hugely not a fan of how they've set up multitool categories.
Pistols just get outclassed completely by rifles, unless the only thing you want to to explicitly is mine + scan. (And even then you'll just barely, exactly be able to max out mine+scanning, though sometimes losing out on adjacency bonuses due to poor layout.

And experimental & Alien ones seem rare enough that a lot of players might never even encounter one.
I'll even settle for an A rank one of either, but no luck there either.

I just want something with a decent amount of slots, and a mining bonus to speed that up a bit. But at this point I've spent more time trying to find one than I would ever save by having a 10-30% mining boost.

What? stations have ranks? Do tell

Also there was an amazing post about frigate stats/min maxing that someone linked and I can't find it anymore. Anyone bookmark the link?