Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Captain Invictus posted:

Aha, right. I remembered making some glass from silicate powder early on by accident but forgot how and thought it was just crafted directly.

I usually use this before crafting any item for an easier/cheaper way.

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I am a recent player, so it has likely been said before.
How in the hell did they gently caress up changing keyboard settings so badly?

Normally I can go into any game and change WASD to what I like and play normally.
10 keyboard control schemes? With no interaction between them if there is a conflict?
I can (almost) see having separate for foot/exo/ship but 2 different ones for quick menus and another for the actual Esc menu.

I have seen bad console ports but nothing has ever had controls this bad that I have ever played.

I have around 100h into the game and really enjoy it but holy poo poo.
I just made one change that should not have affected quick menus in any way but they are seemingly all messed up now.
Will likely have to reset them all and start over again.
It's like a loving mini game built in.

From what I can tell it was worse before recent changes have made this somehow better.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 24, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Weird, I can teleport to a base that doesn't have a teleporter.
Haven't seen anyone mention that before.

e: seemingly thats been around for awhile, and can even TP to a base thats been deleted.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Elblanco posted:

So I just started playing after picking it up from the steam sale and I've enjoyed it except the space combat. Is it just the starter ship that handles like rear end? Or is there a secret to being able to fly properly so I'm not getting shot to shut by pirates.

Also any tips for a new player to make quick cash?

The starter ship is crap, talk to other ships landing in trading posts/station and see what your trade in value is, buy up when you can afford it.
The trade screen will show you each ships stats.

My first bits of money come from chlorine, 2 salt makes chlorine.
1 chlorine and 2 oxygen makes 6 chlorine.
You just need to far enough in to buy the medium refiner from the Anomaly.
Each unit sells for 602 a full stack sells for like 6 mil.

E: also, follow the Artemis storyline it leads you into base building and you get a lot of blueprints for free, i spent a lot of salvage on stuff my first time around which I could have saved. Not that salvage isnt extremely abundant especially on Korvax worlds.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 26, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Not sure what was going on here, not a camera trick or anything.
This dude was just huge.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I don't understand when I am talking to Nada or Polo I get a 'choice' of questions. I can't ask both? There is no reason not to be able to ask both, they are usually completely separate.

Also I have a med refiner that tends to lose its items if I leave the area. Have lost millions in it so far, any fix for it?

I guess this is partially made up by the hundreds of salvaged data that shows up in my personal refiner, but still.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Elblanco posted:

So I just got a freighter and a couple extra ships but 2 of the ships have disappeared! Are they gone for good?

Did you build the room and send them out on a mission? When they return, you need to check that room first to debrief them.
In the bridge room there is a round console, where the mission dude is, one part lets you check out your frigates and see what their status is.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

runspeed melee/reload glitch

Just found this and tried it.
Its a little hard to get the hang of but its insanely fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiCOcacDq0I

Make sure your health is up as you take damage from crap you are running in to.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Is there any need to get an S freighter over my B, does it do anything more or allow more missions for my fleet.
If not i'm just sticking with what i've got.

I also finally figured out that my fleet gets upgraded. I seem to have more Bs than I had before. Which is sweet.

The other day I was in search of a ship upgrade and I came across a fighter A37+11 but after saving again in comes an S29+5 which was far cooler looking but had much less upgrade-able space for slightly more damage.
And 5 mins later in comes an exotic but its only 20+6 and no room to upgrade.
Over all I think I may stick with the A37+11 which is bigger than my ball hauler thats only B30+5.

Also, saw this which is the coolest exotic i've seen, and probably lands a lot quicker than the one I have now because the pointy part thats down needs to flip up every time.

Love to find me one of these to buy.

e: also its seem that while you can only have 3 upgrades for jetpack, You can have 3 in Tech AND regular inventory. I have jetpack for days now. Though it may have declining values. The 3rd(6th) doesnt seem to give me much more over the 2nd(5th).

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 2, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

The freighter grade only affects how far you can warp, so if you're not always warping the absolute max towards the centre of the galaxy then no.

Also, you can take every single ship up to 40 full slots even if its slot display doesn't appear like you can. I bought this guy at 16 slots:

I thought that white borderline was the max?? Can you add another 13 slots if you wanted?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So I finished the Atlas and main storyline, i'm in the next galaxy, I made the remembrance which needed a heart of the sun.
But now i'm getting Atlas missions again and the first one requires the heart of the sun, do I need to craft the long chain of items to get there again or is the mission just not letting go? One of the many bugs in this.

Also I decided to upgrade my fighter S29+5 to a S48+14.
Mainly because its very Star Warsy, it even has a R2D2 on the wing.

e: Once I started buying and scrapping ships, its like they wouldn't stop coming, I gained over 20 inventory upgrades and only lost about 20mil and that was probably only because I took a few B class ships.
I probably would have gained units if I just stuck to S and A.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 3, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah I started with an S and just deconstructed Ss As and some Bs to get inventory slots. I did my fighter because this exotic plain doesn't look like it can be upgraded, the fighter at least had a grey area that looked like you could add more room. This just looks like it can't, but i'm keeping it for when I get some more, just in case.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I haven't seen a planet like the last pic yet.
I also have a base on a planet with giant dinos and crabs.
A little too brown and stormy for my tastes to stay on though.

During my Waterworld missions I came across some of these which I normally have only seen on those weird metal planets. Didn't see them anywhere on the bits of land there, just these few underwater. And they weren't scanable or even showed up under the visor.

At the moment I am trying to find a good beach spot on a waterworld to make a dual land/sea base.
Seems impossible to find a beach spot with a good energy node.
And Solar has been borking out on me, when I visit bases to snag minerals I seem to be out of solar power where I should have more than enough panels/batteries.
Not always, but just after logging in.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Is there a reason to go to the center of the galaxy?
One mission even sends you on a quest for the center but really only needs you to make random jumps.

e: ahh, nevermind

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Galaxy_Centre

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 4, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Libluini posted:

Yes, as it is one of only two ways to leave Euclid. There are more galaxies with different colors and different seed settings waiting for you! Hundreds, in fact.

It's one of my goals to get to at least galaxy 3

Well the story itself gets you to the second with no need to get to the center.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I discovered recently that building with small cuboids are the best thing to build with. I like the concrete and metal sets, but Containers instantly snap to the sides of the cuboids like Legos.

Also it really irritates me that you cannot connect some things to other things without a doorway and/or hallway connecting the two.

Also I made a huge mistake. I wanted to do a waterworld base specifically because the Nautilon has a ship scanner.
What I neglected to think of until after is that my guess that because i stupidly chose a poor system instead of a rich one that every ship I have found has been a C.
Though I can't be sure if it was just my bad luck or if that is the effect.

My intention was to just fly around, find an island, drop the Nautilon and scan, hop in the ship and zip to the closest island and hop back in the Nautilon for claiming.
Sadly, I have only found junk so far. Time to find a waterworld in a rich system.

E: also with the small cuboids you don't have to wire everything because anything connected to it is auto powered.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 5, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've had this for awhile and while it is a good looking ship I just don't like that tall rear end fin.

So I spent a good 10 hours over the past 4 days just loading and reloading in various systems trying to find a new exotic.
The best I could come up with was this.

Which is also a good looking ship but that fin just irks me.

So I succumbed and searched the reddit portal archive and came up with this one, which showed up in like under 5 minutes after landing at the station.

Now thats a hot little number.
Too bad there's no way to just give the other ships away, hate just scrapping them.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Libluini posted:

Building this farming base also taught me that batteries attach to certain spots in large rooms. And with this revelation, the time of haphazardly placed electric implements came to an end forever.

My wiring is still a bit wild, though

You should not need any wiring.
Anything inside a small cuboid or large room should be auto connected like the teleporter or health machine or whatever.
As long as you connect the outside of the room to your power everything inside is good.

I actually kinda like building on airless moons, gives me that 'space' feel looking outside.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I wish we could ride the really big ones.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

What?? I've tried but gotten no prompts.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah but since this game has screenshotting built straight into the UI, you should kind of expect lots of screenshots.
Does Imgur still do albums, i cant seem to find the feature to create one?

e: googling says they took it out

OgNar fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 9, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Minor update today.
Maybe it will fix my inability to change Exocraft forward/brake keys.
I can frustratingly remap other movement keys, but not those 2.

https://games-guides.com/no-mans-sky-update-2-26-patch-notes-on-january-22/

quote:

No Man’s Sky Patch Notes 2.26
Added fixes for some crashing.
Fixed players reported glitches.
Addressed audio-related issues.
Addressed issues related to UI.
Few exploits are now fixed.
Added fixes for framerate drop and freezing issues.
Added performance and stability improvements.

e: Nope, still gone. Dunno why they took that option out.
Problem was the option to change left and right was in there though it didn't do anything because you steered with mouse.
But when they took that out they also took out changing forward/brake also.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 22, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah when you are poor, its good to just idle there with inv room.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Han Nehi posted:

Speaking of mining, I need minerals for the engine upgrade. Am I going to have to spend much time searching for red/blue/whatever stars? I'm colorblind and this is painful. I have to check the letter designation for the stars to tell the difference.

While I am not colorblind I do wear glasses and also have a hard time telling what color a system is supposed to be sometimes.
Is there an easy way from the description to tell.
Could use a handy legend.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

That is a damned good looking base.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Han Nehi posted:

I think I'm about done with this game for now. Should I bother going to the galactic center? I heard it takes a few hours. I did all the other main quests.

Once you finish the listed quests you still have to finish the main quest.
Explore all the planets in the galaxy.
Then you can stop.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

doingitwrong posted:

What are the things that get you free stuff that I might otherwise miss. For example I've been saving up for a Freighter but I guess I could have just had a random encounter that gave me one?

After a few hours of game time, and you make 5 jumps, you get caught up in a fight when jumping in and the freighter invites you aboard and gives it to you.
Always smart to make sure that 5th jump is to a rich system for a higher chance of a nicer freighter.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

General_Failure posted:

Any idea when it hits the PS4? My PC doesn't run NMS amazingly. Not enough video ram of all things. So yeah. I checked the PS4 just now. No updates. Last one was in January :(

According to this, you should have got it 2 days ago.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/02/19/no-mans-sky-living-ship-update-sails-today/

If you can check your version it should be 2.30

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

blarzgh posted:

"The Living Ships can only be obtained through purchasing a Void Egg and following its questline. After the first, subsequent Living Ships cost 10,000 nanites to obtain, rather than building it from scratch."

So after we get one, we can upgrade with nanites

I just read something that implied you have to 'nurture' your ship to upgrade.

hmm, heres another link that gives suggestions to upgrading.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/no-mans-sky-how-to-upgrade-a-biological-ship

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Kadath posted:

Apparently some people have been giving them away in the nexus. I don’t think there is any way to get them outside of buying or getting one as a gift right now.

Khraze posted a vid stating he got one in a system, which is linked in the first comment.
Ive spent about an hour there so far and nothing yet. Both station and trading post.
Though I didn come across an exotic, but i've got like 3 of those already.
When you zone in there are a ton of comments stating that nothings there, but you know how people are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h-47x0XgSM

hmmm, wonder if its in experimental only

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They're actually random so it isn't guaranteed that it'll be better.

But if you make sure that you land in a rich system on those last jumps it ups your chance of getting a good one.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah i'm getting stuttering playing again that I never had before.
Comes and goes.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

ded posted:

I didn't play for a few months and now my paradise planet activated indium farm is now an overgrown xeno-colony. :catdrugs:

edit : oh and it now has some animals that are machine based and eat batteries

Yeah this also happened to me, my cactus planet is now an irritating place to be
Also everything needs to be rescanned.
As if i needed any more money.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

After all this time they have allowed you to remap every key you want.
Except for exocraft which can still only be controlled with W and S + mouse.

I use ESDF for everything so when I get in one I instantly get back out because E is the exit key.
Also the Exocraft are all still pretty much useless because its just easier to hop in your ship anyway.

I did get to meet and ride these 2 guys though. Have never seen them before.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 30, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Is there a point to bigger freighters?
I mean, mines a shorty but what would a bigger one get me, other than looks?

Also, i'm finally full up on exotics besides my fighter which is also S class, but can't decide what style to switch to.
Gonna have to dump one if I ever go for the living ship.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

No doubt. They are way cooler looking.
But at this point i've got so much cash I dont even bother sending the fleet out.
Maybe after I max out an exotic.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I thought I had my S fighter decked out pretty well, but after building up an exotic I'm glad I switched.
Lost some damage but all the other numbers more than make up for it.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 1, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This is the first I've experienced the new storms.
Didn't use my jetpack the whole ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVU_NpGvV0

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Dwesa posted:

I recently finally bought NMS and I am going through some first missions that seem to function like tutorial. Is there certain point after which game tells me I know enough and I have unlocked all the basic stuff and I am free to roam and explore as I wish?

As Mailer mentioned you do get some stuff for free from the tutorials.
If you want to save a little follow the one chain at least until you unlock farming and the EXOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Having some graphical problems.
Yesterday container 0 disappeared, still there and accessible but not visible.
And today, my tabs in inventory for backpack, ship and multitool are all gone though still accessible.
The rest of the screen is perfectly fine, just the actual tabs are gone.
Drivers all up to date.
And card is good enough.