Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I bought this when it first came out two years ago, played just enough to get the fairly easy plat trophy, then put it away. A week or so ago I decided to see if NEXT was worth it and I have now put a crazy number of hours back into it. I think I've only officially jumped like five times, I just keep warping around between my bases to explore or do missions or spruce up my bases.

Aside from the usual glitches and occasional crashes, the only really weird bug involved me using the teleporter in a space station to go to another I've been to, but instead I stepped into a system thousands (millions??) of light years away that I've never visited. In this system was a "Glassy World" with no life and no outposts, just endless fields of jacks the size of buildings made of pure ferite (and "trees" made of jumbles of smaller jacks). Also a giant gently caress-off Stargate looking thing. So if I ever feel like building a city, I've got building materials to spare.

Also a tip for anybody who has worlds with giant mountains but are bad at landing on them: the Nomad exocraft can basically scale sheer cliffs with the acceleration boost. And then get some sick air on the way back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok since we're talking about pissing off the sentinels by grabbing Albumin Pearls...

I have been trying to shake off pursuit for the last 15 minutes. Sentinels search for me, I run. They get the '?' above their heads but never go into countdown mode and somehow always move towards me. I flee to space. The system authorities (for some reason) get on my rear end immediate upon my breaching the atmosphere. I kill one of them, reinforcements are a whopping 8 seconds inbound, I try to jump in the interim. Nope, enemy ship interference. lacking any other options I flee back to the planet. Despite being several miles from the location I left from the sentinels are still up my rear end. I kill them, my wanted rating jumps up and more show up almost immediately. I try to run from them, again they are somehow stapled to my rear end. I try to hide from a storm in a hole I dug in the ground. They shoot me through the ground. I jump in my ship and fly to another part of the planet. They are right there waiting for me like they hitched a ride or something. Back into space. loving system authority is still there. I have tried everything and nothing is working. What the gently caress am I supposed to do about this?

Were you doing a mission at the time that involved breaking into a secure facility? I got that once with a no-countdown wanted rating and it went away as soon as I turned the mission in.

If that isn't it and a save + reload doesn't deactivate the sentinels, your only hope may be to use a teleporter to exit the system. That may involve building a base computer and teleporter while being chased.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If I make custom rooms and install equipment in my freighter, and then buy a new freighter, does the customization magically carry over or do I lose it all?

I'm running out of different world types to build a base on, but still having fun carving supervillain hideouts into the sides of mountains. If I can find an ocean with actual rocks in it to mine chlorine and salt, I'll have to experiment with an underwater base next. And then it'll be time to actually start traveling since Times Warped is my lowest milestone marker. Or else spend a few hours making ridiculous amounts of money to buy that freighter.

I also noticed a dumb release bug still exists: I saw an S rank ship with full slots land nearby but I couldn't afford it and it left. Later it showed up again: same name, same appearance, still max slots, but now it's an A rank with lower stats and buying price. I guess hunting for S rank ships means you better have the money to get it the first time you see it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Some blueprints only come from the base computer quests (unlocked after a ways into the Artemis quest line). Those include the medium refiner and the landing pad, so if base building is your thing don't forget to do those.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm getting the Base Computer Archive bug now, except, I don't own a freighter like most of the people I have seen posting about it. It isn't pointing anywhere is the problem. Every where I go it tells me my Base is in another system, I tried making new bases like it says but it didn't care. Was I supposed to upload the bases? Do I need to warp to an entirely new system and throw a base down there? Should I get a Freighter just to see if it locks onto the Freighter and then I can do the warp fix with that? Incredible how so many baseline quests from the early game are just flat out broken.

Is the mission supposed to be labeled on the teleporter list menu? Because none of my available systems have the mission logo showing. However, there are two discovered systems in my old save that are not connected to me for some reason, that is, I cannot port to their stations. Is it possible the quest automatically defaults to your starting system? Because I can't port there, I would have to set a waypoint and try to warp there after filling up.

I've had my base computer missions jump around between systems where I have a base, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wants you to go back to your old base that you can't get to any more.

I'd say put down a new base computer, upload the base, then save + reload and see if the mission points you to the new base computer.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just blow up facility doors with my shotgun instead.

I could turn on the personal shield, but that thing is so terrible I feel bad about using it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bobby Cox posted:

Got this for NEXT and I'm loving every minute of it, bugs and all. I know exosuit inventory slots can be bought in space station and the price of them increases every time I get one, but if I find a few from Drop Pod coordinates will that increase the price too? Should I sit on these until I realistically can't buy the upgrades anymore and then use them?

And a fun heads up: don't exit the game in the anomaly. The next day I booted up to my dude free-floating and quickly dying in space. Polo done me dirty.

The cost of buying an inventory slot is determined by how many you already have, so getting a slot from a drop pod means the next one you buy at a station will cost more.

Basically, only use drop pods for cargo slots because they're way more expensive than the others (unless you have like 40 regular slots and no cargo slots). Some people don't bother with drop pods at all but I always carry the bits to repair them anyway so it's a quick upgrade when I find one.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, did they seriously make the exocraft control like an actual RC car and not like almost every video game car in the last 20+ years? :psyduck: My left stick is throttle/reverse and right stick is turning. WTF? I swear to god this game is a prank sometimes.

I think the weird-rear end control scheme is the only thing keeping me from using the Nomad basically all the time when I'm not in my ship. It's useless for resource collection since it doesn't even have enough slots to install all the upgrades, but can get sick air off *anything*.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is there anything frigate missions bring back that you can't find otherwise, or is it best to just forgo sending them (and save yourself the hassle of farming di-hydrogen for fuel) and keep them in system for free minerals and backup when pirates hassle you?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thanks that's all super useful information. I've been neglecting my fleet in favor of exploration and base building, but maybe I'll need to dive deeper into that too.

As soon as I finish building my chlorine grow-op. Did you know that medium refiners auto snap to the center of large rooms? I found this out after I built several with the plan of putting four refiners in each. Probably for the best that the refiners are out on the lawn now, that much chlorine in an enclosed space might have been dangerous.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah I found a toxic world where some of the large rocks naturally have chlorine as their main component. Though once you have 250 chlorine, 250 oxygen, and s medium or large refiner, you basically have an infinite supply as long as you can keep enough on hand to start further reactions.

Just make sure you don't let the merchants guild know you are selling your oxygen-thinned chlorine at full price.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It turns out that even with ten health pips and enough shielding that a drone can peck away at me for five minutes without depleting it, if I shoot a plasma grenade right as I strafe next to a rock I'm gonna die.

Is there a faster way to generate oxygen to stuff into these refiners? The atmosphere generators are so slow (and also not portable despite being in the portable tech list). Market bots only carry 90-140ish at a time and take several minutes to replenish.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm still trying to find a planet/spot worthy of being my main base. I either want beachfront, mountainside, or next to a portal, and so far I haven't found anything that lives up to my probably too harsh standards. I should really just start building in my freighter.

Speaking of building in the freighter, does your freighter base transfer over to the new one when you buy a freighter, or do you have to like dismantle everything first?

According to a guide I found, freighter customization doesn't carry over if you buy a new one. I've done very little in mine so far until I can buy a better one, since my free freighter was a lovely C rank with only 16 slots.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The ship will work fine with broken inventory slots as long as the main systems are fixed up. (Freebie multi tools with broken slots work the same way).

You may be better off conning an alien with a working A rank ship to trade for yours, but if you really like the one you have your best bet may be to hire a bunch of trader frigates. They'll give you 100 chromatic metal every 20 minutes or so just by landing on them.

750 platinum will be a pain though. You can refine geodesite or iridescite into like 500 plat but those are rare. Your can also refine 4500 tritium into 750 platinum but :gonk:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The best you can do with busted up ships is try to trade them for better ships and accept that you'll just have to pay the difference. But yeah, selling unwanted ships should be a thing as long as they're going to let us have more than one

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sadly I think you can only oxidate gases and carbon.

If you see a mission that rewards iridescite, do that and process it into a shitload of platinum that will keep you covered for a long time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I seem to have bugged out the mission board on my freighter. I got to the last step on one of those missions, then I somehow was allowed to turn it in at a station and it got completed that way while I was turning in a bunch of other things. Now on my freighter if I go to its board, the mission comes up like it's in progress but no way to remove it, so I can't get new ones.

They aren't nerfing the sale price of chlorine in the patch are they? I put a lot of time into setting up this Walter White poo poo and I've only sold a few freighters full of it so far!

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 10, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

There are 256 galaxies?! :o

It seems the only way to get to that later ones is to travel to the center of your current galaxy over and over, so having a base in galaxy 256 is basically a sign that you have played this game way too loving much.

According to the wiki there are even more galaxies than that!

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 10, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The game kept offering me S rank upgrades for the Cyclotron Ballista so I went with that as the main weapon on my fighter. It's similar to the rocket launcher with less damage per shot but you can pop off a good ten or so shots before it overheats, so a miss isn't nearly as bad. It rips through enemy ships pretty fast when they are flying straight at your for their attack runs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is it normal that if I just install storage containers in the back area of a freighter in the spots they snap to, the hull around the sides of the containers is punctured and I can see outside into space? :staredog:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It looks like the patch reduced the base sale price of many / most things by 20%, which is unfortunate but not catastrophic. On the other hand, it unfucked my freighter's galactic mission board and I have a recipe for stasis units (which still sell for 15+ million post patch, and the freighter missions directly provide the components). Time to get my Scrooge McDuck on.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

One of my underground bases re-filled with rock despite the rooms and equipment all still being there. Since you can't use the terrain tool while inside a base, I'd have remove and re-add everything to put it back together again. At least that only happened at one of my bases.

If you find yourself in a different galaxy, can you still teleport back to your old bases or are you cut off forever?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Since the patch I've repeatedly had frigates come back with a part double-broken. Basically I land on them, they say they have 8 broken parts (damnit) but only 7 waypoints. It remains in a damaged state until I warp to another system, re-summon my fleet, and land on it again, at which point I'm directed to a part I already fixed.

Not the worst bug in the world but it slows down sending them out on repeat missions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just click the base computer for renaming and uploading!

Also happily, your learn how to grow the mats for glass early on once you hire a farmer.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Man I sure can't wait until they fix the bug where the game runs at 10 fps while a galactic commission job is active.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

gently caress, black hole jumped into a space fight around one of the giant star destroyer looking freighters, kill the pirates, captain invited me aboard... and it's just a C class with a couple more slots than the lovely freighter I already have. Stop teasing me HG.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is there any way to remove a storage container without actually targeting it? Several of my bases won't let me build container 1 (all the rest work) but I've never placed it there before.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GruntyThrst posted:

I think there's a bug with container 1 in that it is completely unique- you unlock container 1 before you unlock 0,2-9 and I think the game treats it differently. So you can only have a single container 1 anywhere.

Welp. At least it's at my main base with a teleporter. I guess I'll stuff some useless garbage in that one too make sure nothing important gets stuck on those slots (everything about storage containers is everything more hinky than every other subsystem in this game).

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So... the log text of The Purge says to go to Galactic Center and the pop-up help for it says ATLAS 1/16 even though I have two glyphs (and the quest never told me to look for glyphs). On the galaxy map, if I am specifically for the core it's 714,000 LY. If I specify an Atlas station it's 1.13 million LY away. I guess I'll... go to the center?

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 12, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah I've given up bothering to look for crashed ships. If I happen to find an S rank, awesome. That has yet to happen and I'm already spinning my wheels too much on basically everything else this game offers for you to do.

At least now I'm up to 140 million after a good run of galactic commission jobs, so if I happen across an S rank 48 slot ship or freighter I can just straight up buy it and be done with it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The economics of this game can be weird sometimes. An S rank Explorer ship with 17 slots sets me back less than 2 mil total, but C rank Hauler with 30 slots is tens of millions and an A or S rank Hauler with max inventory slots is 100+ million. Though I guess inventory space is probably the single most valuable resource in this game, so it makes sense in that regard.

I don't even want the hauler to fly around in, I just want one with the full 48 slots so I can park it on my freighter forever to serve as a marginally less inconvenient storage area.

Also, continuing on with The Purge seems to have completely and totally broken the Anomaly and Atlas quest lines for me. The nearest Atlas station is an absurd distance away, and the Anomaly hasn't appeared for a long time now, so I guess I just miss out on whatever other recipes I hadn't gotten from them yet. Not sure if that is intentional but given the context of the Purge it'd make sense if you aren't able to do all three main story lines concurrently.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 12, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I found a fairly pleasant, resource-rich jungle world with a nice color palette. Occasional boiling rain but I've only ever found one jungle world that didn't. Better yet, it has lots of floating islands with perfectly flat surfaces. In other words, excellent base locations!

After I start putting together a base, I think to myself "what if my dumb rear end falls off this floating island while my ship is still up there?". So I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon building the ladder from MGS3 so the base has ground access. I don't recommend the construction process of free-floating, glass-bottomed metal floors if you have vertigo issues.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 13, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Speaking of base building, is there a realistic way to combine rooms on multiple floors without needing to use exterior stairs or a huge connecting chamber out of wall panels?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The ladder kind of refuses to connect nicely to a lot of things, but i can play around with it more.

I guess what I mean is, I kind of wish there were interior room objects specifically for going between floors since building a cuboid room with a ladder in it to connect large rooms together doesn't look as nice.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That underwater base is rad as hell, and i keep forgetting I can change the color of rooms as they are placed.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It won't be anything crazy. A couple of prefab rooms with a ton of decorations, healt/shield/economy terminals, and of course the portal. If I can figure out how to place storage containers underground without making a mess I'll set up a vault nearby.

The way that works best for me to create an underground fault is to start with a large room built partially into the side of a hill (you can level out a bit of the front with flooring panels), one straight hallway into the hill from the back of the room, and then you can use intersections branching out from there to attach storage rooms to. They have to be at least one space separated from the main room though, or it won't let you place them.

Also, rolling hills work way better than mountains. With mountains you're likely to run into granite that room objects can't excavate before you get all your storage crates set up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

quote is not edit, again

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Welp, turns out you stack large buildings on top of each other first and *then* it lets you use ladders to connect them. :downs:

It's also a good thing I already built the MGS3 ladder since either due to where I placed the base computer or just a game geometry thing, if I teleport to the floating island base my ship appears on the surface a couple hundred feet below me.

I've heard the all-sunsets planet with the message orbs is only 5000 LY from the center, but if you use the portal to get there doesn't that prevent you from using the galaxy map so it doesn't work as a shortcut?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Plop a base computer down while you’re there then teleport to it.

That works. Ancient aliens with their old analog portals being shown up by players and their disruptive build-anywhere teleporters.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A trading post can seem nice as a location, but when you warp to it your ship won't be an a pad anyway (no free liftoffs), shop bots you build will largely share inventory with the trading post and every other planet-side shop, and the aforementioned frame rate issues plus constant airport noise.

I'd shoot for a scenic location in a wealthy star system, ideally one with several different world types so you can shuttle around collecting valuable plants and materials until you have your own garden established. If you're near some mineral veins that you can drop auto miners on, even better.

If you want easy portal access you'll probably want to build sort of near it, just to make sure you don't lose track of where it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I guess one thing I should clarify if my plan is to go to a different galaxy before setting up a permanent main base there: can a portal take you to a planet in another galaxy or only in the current one? It'd be a shame to set up a sweet base in the one peaceful spot in a hellscape galaxy if nobody will ever be able to visit since they stayed in Euclid or went somewhere else entirely.