Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Since they work like ships now, can you scrap multi-tools in addition to upgrading/expanding them? Would like to finally get rid of my starter tool + accidental purchase from early on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Regarding freighter base building, I've been using this mod for about two weeks now and nothing has broken yet:

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1096

Some stuff is a little buggy, like you can place message nodes but can't actually leave a message (guessing this is linked to base computer proximity), but it definitely makes your freighter more of a proper base. You can build a viewing pod or underwater prefab to get a nice view of your frigate fleet, and it also expands the scale/rotate/color options for regular base parts. My main base is kind of integrated with a planetary archive where a bunch of random cranes and tanks are strewn around so I've thrown in things like giant atmospheric harvesters purely for ambience.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

As far as I know the only advantage conferred by an S-class freighter is longer warp range which is pretty much meaningless since you can just warp with a ship and summon it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Are there any guides to the ByteBeat advanced waveform generator? The melody and sequencer tabs are very straightforward but I have no clue what the mathematical and logical operators mean in the context of a waveform, let alone the various branching/chaining/numerical offsets.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Captain France posted:

Been using this forever, but somehow never considered glass on the freighter. I know what I'm doing after dinner.
Another fun thing you can do with this mod is rotate decals in three dimensions, and while the viewing angles can get a little janky, it enables neat touches like using the edge of a Vy'keen decal to put a nice authentic blood spatter on your sickbay operating table.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Just wait around for a while in different trade hubs or the station and it'll appear as a better class

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I've definitely gotten screwed by those artifact terminals before by putting in a 200k artifact (from out of system) and getting a 150k one back. I assume they're either bugged or there's some obtuse risk-reward mechanic that I'll wait for others to figure out.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

What are the non-mission sources for freighter tech units and freighter storage units? I've been sending my fleets out on every mission for a week now and which has gotten me lots of money, materials, and ship storage units but just one tech unit and gently caress all storage for my freighter. I'm jonesing for that matter transmitter now that I have a capital with ten inventory rooms.

Also is there a list of freighter tech modules? The wiki only lists the hyperdrive upgrades and matter transmitter but I gather from upthread that some derelicts will give you always-on frigate mission buffs? Any source for those other than derelicts?

Elotana fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 14, 2020

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

They should just make it clear to new players that capital class freighters exist and your first offer isn't one of them.

It'd be kinda cool to have freighter specializations the way ships do. Have an explorer freighter with extra warp range and the ability to instantly scan all planets, a hauler freighter with more inventory and maybe the ability to mass-gather space materials when you summon it in an asteroid field, and since freighters don't really fight, a carrier freighter with more frigate capacity and missions that regenerate on completion instead of a timer.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Navigation data also seems to stop mattering very soon in the game, they could stand to tone it down in the loot tables or at least let it refine into nanites like salvage data

Same with drop pods, which ought give you a random mod from the damaged machinery loot table once you have all your slots maxed

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I spam shotguns in every game I play so scatter blaster and positron ejector for me thanks

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Where do I get the cube window and the orange wall screen? This is my second playthrough and they're empty in my catalogue, I had to look them up online\

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Is there anything to do with the derelict freighters that spawn with no HUD icon? I know the red icon means you can loot the pods and the purple icon you can land on for the mini-mission, but sometimes one will just be looming in space with no visible interaction anywhere

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I've gotten plenty of tetracobalt and superoxide too. They simply haven't updated the frigate mission loot tables.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I'm probably close to getting bored too but that's par for the course with these kinds of games. A month of fun gameplay for $20 is very fair, even having only played the game in 2020 I can infer from the memes and DLC lists how livid I would've been pre-ordering at $60.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The save editor is safe to use right? I just want to unlock the orange panel engram for flavor and you can do it there, but I could theoretically cheat myself integer overflows of nanites and still play multiplayer?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

What's bugging me about the frigate game is that I've yet to see a single four-star or five-star mission even though my fleet is now half S-ranked and almost all A ranked. The exception being the industrial frigs since I also have seen like one industrial mission ever so I've taken to just letting them tag along balanced missions with the fuel-bonused support frigates, so they can at least get some cheap experience. Does my freighter have to be in a blue system or something to get hard missions?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Hyperactive posted:

The difficulty rating appears to be relative. You are doing max difficulty missions but because your fleet is so powerful they are showing as 3 stars. If you traded your S-class frigates for a bunch of C-class then that 3-star mission ought to suddenly become 5-star. You’re getting the same rewards either way.
I never saw any even when they were all C-class!

Another dumb gear-grinding bitch I have is that you can sell things from your exosuit or starship inventory but not your freighter inventory, even if you're selling at a terminal literally on your freighter. The biggest time-sink for missions at this point now that the frigates aren't getting dinged up is moving all the loot from my freighter to my exosuit. (This isn't nearly as annoying as frigate repair, but still.)

Elotana fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I sell from freighter inventory all the time, unless you mean the storage boxes. It wouldn't surprise me to hear you need the freighter's matter transmission tech to sell directly from it even if you're on the freighter though.
I just checked again and I definitely couldn't do this. I had 5 iridesite in my freighter's base inventory (not any of the storage tabs) plus the matter transmitter tech and i still couldn't see it in the sell menu on the freighter itself. Moving it to an exosuit tab or my active starship lets me sell it but not the freighter