Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a cliffnotes version of what's been going on with this game since release for those of us who saw the absolute mess that 1.0 was, walked away, and never looked back? From memory these were the largest complaints about it:

• 'Do anything you want' game play amounted to mining resources to fuel your ship with almost nothing else to do.
  • Buildings and reasons to build buildings were either non-existent or extremely pointless. In Terraria you built things to attract NPCs and stave off invaders, in Subnautica you built things to support deeper and deeper drives. Conan Exiles you built outposts and caches to support dungeon-diving. NMS had nothing.
  • The procedural generation was very bad, and resulted in worlds and animals that were [i]extremely[i] ugly compared to the beautiful vistas and animals of the trailers.
  • There was barely any interaction with natural wildlife, they kind of just moved around and did nothing.
  • Multiplayer was a flat-out lie with zero interaction possible, proved to be so when two players found themselves in the exact same place and were invisible to each other.
  • Space features and battles were non-existent or so close to being so as to make no difference.
  • The 'campaign' was again just fueling your ship up to go to specific planets to find the middle of the world, at which point your universe was reset and you did it again.

I think those are the biggest ones, and the overwhelming link seems to be the dev promising everything (and gamers falling for it) and not even managing to deliver a coherent experience at all, rather than simply promising "a relaxing trip you can mine minerals in" which seemed to be what 1.0 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Nah I like the idea of just kind of cruising around the galaxy seeing new things, occasionally building a hangout pad or something, meeting the locals etc, and my understanding was that 1.0 couldn't even manage that. If all that stuff seems improved and worthwhile I'll definitely check it out.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do bases have a purpose besides building a one-room hut to hide from environmental damage? In Terraria it was worth building bigger and bigger bases to attract NPCs who'd be vendors and stuff, and in Subnautica an undersea base let you construct more complex items and have more room than the tiny lifeboat, does NMS have similar things?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"I mean the game pretty neat to chill around in and build stuff but doesn't seem like a massive draw over other survival/exploration games. Let's see what the second planet is like."

"Hmmm yes okay."

"Time to play this game and nothing but this game."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Asteroids in this game seem to appear via expanding magically out of thin air when you approach space, is there some kind of hosed-up draw-distance bug or is it just how they've decided asteroids should happen?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My sole frustration so far is the UI and I really hope they dedicate some time to it in the future because it's very annoying how there are some very basic commands that should work but don't, several more commands I should be able to rebind but can't seem to, and several UI interactions that don't seem to make sense at all.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think I screwed up my free freighter mission. I rescued a freighter from pilots but either I warped away too fast for the pilot to contact me or I accidentally hit him during the fight and he didn't offer at all. Will it eventually get offered to me again?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of multi-tool upgrades the modules you can buy on the station are a little arcane in their decriptions. If I want to buy upgrades that will let my mining beam mine quicker and increase the size of the terrain re-sculptor, what stat do I need to look out for?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I mean that money goes pretty fast for me. I got 15 million units from excavating an alien ruin treasure chest and instantly spent it on some baller-as-gently caress frigates the second I entered orbit.

Frigates who have yet to make even a single successful mission run. :argh:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I had no idea the game had stargates! That was a hell of a cool surprise. Is every single monolith that points to them powered by Vykeen Daggers?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there any way to find cool-looking and interesting planets with good regularity besides getting very far into the game to activate the stargates and using the player codes to get to ones other people have found? I stopped playing last time because I wanted to find a really cool planet before I started base-building and it was really tedious scouring every system for the Bountiful (or whatever it was called) tag.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is this guide to making cash the easiest way to boost myself to riches? Had to start a new save for the first time in a very long time and it sucks being poor.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I heard the village/town stuff they added was kind of broken and didn't really work, did that stuff get fixed in the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Finished an expedition for the first time and feel bad I didn't try them before, looking from the outside they felt like FOMO but it was pretty chill and easy to get through the whole thing. It's given me the desire to start a new save fresh but I do know you can take some stuff out of the expedition into a normal game besides the expedition rewards themselves. Any recommendations on what would be spend all these credits and nanites on?