Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

precision posted:

edit: check out 18:40 for a fun surprise

That’s cool, but those creatures look super rigid and awkward. You know from what I could see since the player pussied out and ran the gently caress away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

If steam updates at the same time as the Xbone launch, which... is not guaranteed.

(I hope it is)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I liquidated my old base and all it’s living glass to sort of give myself a “soft restart” with just me and my ship and a boatload of credits (10m).

I’m hoping the freighter changes mean I can actually afford a freighter now, instead of having to grind out 110million. If someone who’s playing right when it drops finds out about the new promised “earlier” freighters, drop in and post about it so I can read from work and be jealous.

You'll be given a free freighter as part of the tutorial/intro. Not saying it'll be amazing, but you'll get one.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’d just love to have one more extra storage where I can shove one stack of each of those sorts of “secondary” resources like nickel, gold, whatever, so that if I change ships or multitools I have a nice stock build to replace fully all the mods that I liked.

...and I hope they might change how easy it is to transfer things to it, given there’s significant changes around them, else my above plan sounds pretty bunk.

Aside from your suit inventory, your suit Cargo inventory, your starship inventory, your freighter inventory and your Base Storage Crate inventories (10 of them!), you mean? :psyduck:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

why the hell cant i mouse over planets in the galaxy view to see what kind of planet they are? i get it for undiscovered systems, but I discovered a really cool 'airless' world that was literally greyscale, it was a really neat looking effect. but i can't find it now, and it's really annoying.

Don’t think anyone answered this so here -

You’re looking In the wrong place. Look in the Discoveries section of the menu, you can see all the stars and planets you’ve visited on the left. You can see all their attributes and poo poo right there when you click them, and can set a waypoint on the galactic map to a specific one when you find it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

precision posted:

I've been warping for hours trying to find a good planet for a base. Every "paradise" or "lush" planet I find has those insanely annoying Superheated Rainstorms.

I think in general they need to turn the frequency of storms wayyyyyyy down. It's not adding fun to the game to have storms last for 5 minutes and then only clear up for 5 minutes. Like on some planets yeah it makes sense to have them be constantly ravaged by storms but it seems like right now every planet with the "storms" modifier runs on the same clock, you get a storm every few minutes with no variance which is kinda not fun =\

I found a “Rainy” world with no rain and no storms at all. Building my base there. Keep an eye on those rainy worlds.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Hyper aggressive crabs were a plague of early versions of the game so I’m happy that most creatures leave you alone now.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Goddamn that is a sexy multitool. :blastu:

I see that one and raise you this

Screen taken before scanner, mining and offensive upgrades installed.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

The "webbing" look on yours looks sick. Why does rng hate me so much?

Yeah it looks nice. I found it in my second star system, in the space station, for 7.1 million units. I put a base on the nearest planet to mark it so I could come back when I could afford it. If you’re on PC I think I could get you there? Dunno if that would work actually and I’m not actually home right now to try.

And actually it was really nice to hit a top tier multi tool early because then I didn’t need to worry about replacing modules when I swap it out.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 9, 2018

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Finally killed a walker after several minutes of seemingly doing little to no damage to him with my A class ship. I think the hitbox for it is wonky as gently caress. Tons of times it seemed to eat shots and take no damage, even though the damage numbers were showing. Eventually it got to a point where finally I seemed to be melting through the armor. When I killed it, the loot barrel from it was bugging out and I thought I was going to rage when it kept vanishing as I mined it. But I finally got my goddamned walker brain.

The Walker hit box is wonky as HELL for ship weapons fire. And you need to hit specifically on the armour pieces in a specific order (head > legs > body) to actually kill the thing. It’s easier to kill it on foot once you have some survivability/damage upgrades.

E: and by that I mean one s class shield upgrade, 1 s class boltcaster upgrade, and plasma cannon with one upgrade.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 9, 2018

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Freighters being attacked only triggers when jumping into a system, right? I passed up my first one because it was ugly, and after about 40 jumps since I simply haven't seen the event occur again. Want to make sure there's not some easier way to roll for it.

Get a Conflict Scanner in your ship and warp to systems with high levels of conflict, you're more likely to run into pirates/freighter rescues there.

Full disclosure the conflict scanner needs a Walker Brain to craft so you'll need to take down one of the big Sentinel walkers.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

CRAYON posted:

I stopped doing the eggs once I got my freighter and realized I could make 2-4 mil in 5 minutes by doing the missions that give Superconductor, Cryopumps, Accelerant, etc from the mission terminal on the bridge.

Do you need to grind out rank with the guilds/factions to get these good missions? Mine just look like this -

The same rewards I get at the normal mission guy. My guild ranks are all slightly over halfway.

E: woops double post

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Thundarr posted:

Speaking of base building, is there a realistic way to combine rooms on multiple floors without needing to use exterior stairs or a huge connecting chamber out of wall panels?

To add to what has been said before, there are also interior stairs pieces you can learn from the BP analyser. A couple of different types. Mostly they take up one cuboid room "unit".

My own question - can someone explain how the Buy/Sell percentages on the economy scanner actually affect the price of things you want to buy/sell?

I thought I had it down but then saw a fairly large fluctuation in real-world prices when the percentages were mostly the same.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

AirRaid posted:

My own question - can someone explain how the Buy/Sell percentages on the economy scanner actually affect the price of things you want to buy/sell?

I thought I had it down but then saw a fairly large fluctuation in real-world prices when the percentages were mostly the same.

Found an answer to this on reddit, because that's where all the people with spreadsheets live apparently - https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/95elq6/the_economy_of_no_mans_sky/

The short answer is that the Buy/Sell percents on the long range scanner don't mean squat for non "trade-economy" goods. Stuff like elements, crafted items... those are outside that trading system and the price varies from terminal to terminal in any given system.

Now I'm wondering if I build 5 different trade terminals in my freighter, if I can abuse that to find a better price for my Chlorine farm. Worth a shot, I've made like 70 million in a few hours today, could have been 80 or 90 with this knowledge probably.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Since someone asked earlier, but mentioned it in connection with a bug, can I deconstruct my different terminals (along with their overseer/scientist/mad weapons dude), reconstruct them on a different planet, and not lose the base mission progress?
I cannot, for the life of me, find a scorched planet to find solanium for the refiner-unlock from the overseer, and figured I'd just rebuild entirely on a different base before getting serious about refining.

Yes you can do this.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

This million unit plant I got from a frigate mission...save for farming or sell?

Is it a green commodity? Like the background of the icon is predominately green. If so it’s only use is to sell for units.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

Hey I just did my first warp jump and when I got to the station I was gifted an A Class Multitool Rifle with 18 slots - improved damage and mining. However it has 10 slots of damaged/junk poo poo. Some of the repairs are just chromatic metal but the rest are tech modules, etc. I know repairing simply opens the slot. Is it worth repairing this early or just wait for a cleaner multitool?

Repair the easy ones and then wait for a better tool.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Reminds me I didn’t post this in here

I’m standing next to it for scale.

These things were docile. Just, you know, 50 feet tall.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm done with Nada and Polo! There's... nothing at the end of the line. Kinda disappointing. There was a 24-slow S-rank rifle on the anomaly at the time of my last turn in. No idea if that was intended or luck. That said, while finishing the scan every quest milestones I found what's by far the most hosed up creature this game has offered me:

Behold! The poor gently caress could barely lift his head.

It's a Scrab!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Thundarr posted:

If you plan to shelter in place for the survival milestones, be sure to at least move occasionally. I think progress halts until the next milestone actually triggers, which it might not do if you're 100% AFK. Basically, just walk around every 30 minutes or so to see if you get a Milestone Reached pop-up and you're good.

Can confirm this is not the case. I AFKed for like four hours and the whole thing counted. (1 "Sol" is about 15 mins realtime).

The thing is, the actual milestone popup wont trigger until you get into your ship and out again. But you'll have the time racked up in the Milestones page.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Thundarr posted:

I don't think I've ever found a flying or swimming critter that counted as a predator.

I think this guy did.

But I can't be bothered to find him in my pokedex to look at his behaviour.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

But what's the point of that if it a) isn't an open area and b) you cant put anything in it because more than half the space is taken up by pillars?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

What's the advantage to building these huge bases on planets with lovely environmental effects, rather than just plunking it down on a beautiful one?

A victory for bloodymindedness? :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Blindeye posted:

I thought each system's freighter was class locked too? If so, I have passed through 3 star destroyer rescues and all 3 were C class.

Nope. If you jump to a system and there is a freighter battle, kill the pirates, find the class, and if you dont like it, load a save from pre-warp and warp to the same system, and you'll get the same freighter cosmetically, but new class and slots.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

Also I'm not sure if it's me or the game that doesn't know how to count:

This is a weird thing that NMS does but doesn't tell you about, except in a popup which is gone in 2 seconds - two of those creatures are variants of the same species. When you scanned it, you'd see a message in the bottom right saying "Creature belongs to already discovered species". You still get money for scanning a "new" species but it doesn't count towards the "unique" species scanned for that planet.

Yes, this is pretty much bullshit. Specially when you have 15 creatures scanned but only 10/11 Species on the drat list. :argh:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Hopefully this means a re-work of how useful caves are.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The first Submerged ruin I find, and...

"Submerged".

The underwater stuff is pretty cool though. Does the quest chain give you a way to boost the Nautilon or is it always that slow?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Thundarr posted:

It's surprisingly annoying to hunt around for a toxic world with water.

Hot take: It's the one we live on.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

limaCAT posted:

see landscapes, meet squirrels the game

New thread title?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I jumped through the hoops for the Atlas pass and didn’t get one :saddowns:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

A planet filled with sentient vacuum cleaners?

(Yes I know what a Dyson sphere is)

So I was playing last night with my little girl watching. I was digging up buried tech and she asks what I need that for. I said “blueprint data”. She asks “Blueberry potatoes?” Then runs off to shout to her mother “daddy’s getting blueberry potatoes!”

So now I dig for potatoes.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 10, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

In my last save I kept a spare starship in my Freighter stocked with all the materials repairs needed, so I could just fly that out to repair stuff. It was fairly trivial to keep that one starship stocked up, even if it never left the immediate vicinity of the freighter.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Can you position the frigate so you fall towards a planet? And if so can you survive the fall? Aim for water or Save your jet pack til nearing impact maybe.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Grah them by the pussy

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

evilweasel posted:

So what are units good for? If I’ve got 200m and can get 60m per day by collecting from my indium farm at what point do I have more than I could ever need?

The best freighters and ships cost hundreds of millions of units. I’d say if you’re that flush, keep 500k on hand at all times in case you run across that perfect space boat that you must have.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I have stolen this for my desktop wallpaper rotation, thx.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I've jumped back into this (again) for the first time since, Beyond or something, is there a consensus on the best multitool/ship weapons? I only really wanna have one for each. And plasma grenades. All the plasma grenades.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

blarzgh posted:

Best ship weapon in my opinion is the shotgun one. Just sit and wait for enemy ships to strafe you and BLAMBLAMBLAM they're dead.

OK Sweet but what's that one actually called?

And any recommendations for multi-tool weaponry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The Teleport module in the Freighter upgrade tree (same place the hyperdrive upgrades are) is a game changer too. Transfer poo poo to your freighter inventory from anywhere! I'm pretty sure it works when your freighter isn't even in the same solar system.

I think I am going to struggle to replace my pre-order bonus ship this time around. It's slightly low on cargo space, but that's upgradable to 25, but it has SEVENTEEN technology slots, meaning all my tech upgrades are in there and the hold is free for actual stuff. Might actually try and get the 85K nanites required to bump it to S class.