Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

loving sucks that he (and others) are firing talented, popular people who make them money just because of their politics. Here's me, arguing in favor of capitalism. Never thought I'd see the day.

Are we still talking about Wendig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He'll get a job at DC soon.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

This doesn't relate to Hollywood, but it relates to Marvel. They fired one of their Star Wars (comics) writers for calling shitheads such as convicted felon Dinesh D'souza and Ben Shapiro shitheads.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/sta...r%3D124%23pti21

More info here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-fires-star-wars-writer-chuck-wendig-1151966

Tweeting like this guy did might get you fired at any job, but apparently this guy had always been vulgar, political, and inflammatory on Twitter, had never been told it was a problem and in fact had been given backing from his Lucasfilm bosses, and according to him Marvel just fired him out of the blue.

Disney seems to do this a lot more than other entertainment companies, so maybe they ought to enforce some sort of uniform code of conduct as pertaining to their employee's social media activity, rather than appearing to randomly bring the hammer down on people under potentially dubious circumstances like pissing off the wrong group of fake-outrage trolls. Though that still wouldn't have done anything for the James Gunn situation, since he was fired for things he wrote prior to even being their employee.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

Not the least bit surpising. Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter is a massive Trump supporter and IIRC is even part of his administration in some capacity.

Perlmutter is one of Trump's 3 golf buddies who were given an extremely shady, undefined role as "advisors" to the Department of Veterans Affairs, which amounted to them essentially running it to make profit for their own holdings.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sucrose posted:

Tweeting like this guy did might get you fired at any job, but apparently this guy had always been vulgar, political, and inflammatory on Twitter, had never been told it was a problem and in fact had been given backing from his Lucasfilm bosses, and according to him Marvel just fired him out of the blue.

It wasn't "out of the blue", people here are currently talking about how the CEO is a Trump supporter. This was politically motivated, like it's not even a question, it's not "alleged", it's literally what happened.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Using twitter should be a fireable offense imo

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 13, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Usung twitter should be a fireable offense imo

After a certain point it stops being a "oh that sucks poor you" and more of a "what did you think would happen? You posted on Twitter"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

It wasn't "out of the blue", people here are currently talking about how the CEO is a Trump supporter. This was politically motivated, like it's not even a question, it's not "alleged", it's literally what happened.

This is just silly. Apparently some people are so accustomed to outbursts like Wendig's that they can only rationalize his firing as a pro-Trump partisanship.

If Wendig had attacked the previous administration in this manner, the same people would be mocking him and applauding his firing as a wise and appropriate gesture instead.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is just silly. Apparently some people are so accustomed to outbursts like Wendig's that they can only rationalize his firing as a pro-Trump partisanship.

If Wendig had attacked the previous administration in this manner, the same people would be mocking him and applauding his firing as a wise and appropriate gesture instead.

Um... yeah? Because the people who were writing unhinged rants about the last administration were generally Nazis and other stripes of terrible people? :confused:

If you think our problem here is that Disney took a stance on politics, you're wrong. The problem is that Disney isn't taking a stance on politics, and in this day and age, where we're fighting loving Nazis in the White House, not taking a stance on politics is complicity in evil and basically is taking an evil stance on politics. If other posters here are correct that this decision was actually made by a high-ranking Trump supporter in Disney, then gently caress Disney for allowing someone like that to rise so far up the corporate ladder.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

21 Muns posted:

Um... yeah? Because the people who were writing unhinged rants about the last administration were generally Nazis and other stripes of terrible people? :confused:

If you think our problem here is that Disney took a stance on politics, you're wrong. The problem is that Disney isn't taking a stance on politics, and in this day and age, where we're fighting loving Nazis in the White House, not taking a stance on politics is complicity in evil and basically is taking an evil stance on politics. If other posters here are correct that this decision was actually made by a high-ranking Trump supporter in Disney, then gently caress Disney for allowing someone like that to rise so far up the corporate ladder.

Not everyone you disagree with is a Nazi.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

21 Muns posted:

To be fair to Disney (ugh) Perlmutter was already CEO before Disney acquired Marvel (and had been a board member since the early 90s) and once the MCU got going they eventually cut him off of most influence in Marvel Studios because of his regressive views (he was apparently the one responsible for Black Widow not getting her own spinoff movie and when Don Cheadle replaced Terrence Howard as War Machine, he allegedly told another executive no one would notice because "all black people look the same"). I'm guessing they probably made some sort of deal in which they would allow him to do whatever he wanted with the comics in return.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AceOfFlames posted:

once the MCU got going they eventually cut him off of most influence in Marvel Studios because of his regressive views (he was apparently the one responsible for Black Widow not getting her own spinoff movie

No wonder Black Widow got her own movie so quickly after that happened.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some of them are Nazi enablers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I love that the response to Perlmutter was just "cut off his 'influence'" instead of just firing him. I mean I know why, it's capitalism and the workers have no say over who their CEOs are and are powerless, it's just kind of lovely that the company sort of pivoted in this socially progressive direction but nearly all of their money gets funneled into a far-right Trumper's bank account.

But Disney could fire him. I doubt they would though unless he made pedophile jokes on Twitter ten years ago.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Holy poo poo.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

No wonder Black Widow got her own movie so quickly after that happened.

If he was still in charge, we most likely wouldn't have Captain Marvel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AceOfFlames posted:

Not the least bit surpising. Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter is a massive Trump supporter and IIRC is even part of his administration in some capacity.

Perlmutter is a creepy guy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AceOfFlames posted:

If he was still in charge, we most likely wouldn't have Captain Marvel.

Maybe we could still get him back to cancel it?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

21 Muns posted:

So you want the mega corporation controlled by billionaires to be less politically neutral?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

lol lamps jumped the shark.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NovemberMike posted:

So you want the mega corporation controlled by billionaires to be less politically neutral?

They have not and never will be "politically neutral". They make their wealth off of conservative politics and will always lean and back those kinds of candidates and most likely back their opposition to be a lovely opponent. They will always lean right.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Jimbot posted:

They have not and never will be "politically neutral". They make their wealth off of conservative politics and will always lean and back those kinds of candidates and most likely back their opposition to be a lovely opponent. They will always lean right.

You just said that they were being too neutral...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

You just said that they were being too neutral...

Because being neutral is an implicit approval of the status quo, it means “the way things are is fine.”

The status quo in America right now is that the right wing has absolute power over all three branches of government. To remain neutral is to endorse them.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Nazi apologist spotted.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

What would he have been attacking about the previous administration? If he was ranting about Obama-era deportations or how drone warfare was hosed up, "the same people" would either say, "he's right," or "sure, but I don't really care about this issue." If he was furious about government overreach or some specific Obama policy he hated, I guarantee there wouldn't be enough people to "mock or applaud his firing." It wouldn't have been on anyone's radar at all, and he probably wouldn't even have been fired.

Obviously, the level of disgust Wendig has for the Trump administration is specific to the racism and rape-culture apologism at its center. The only rants with similar animus for Obama as an individual came from racists who thought he was "ruining America."

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Using twitter should be a fireable offense imo

Just delete twitter. No, I don't mean your twitter, I mean the entire site should be deleted.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Judakel posted:

Nazi apologist spotted.

It took you 25 pages?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I'm mystified as to why anyone still replies to them at this point.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Xealot posted:

What would he have been attacking about the previous administration? If he was ranting about Obama-era deportations or how drone warfare was hosed up, "the same people" would either say, "he's right," or "sure, but I don't really care about this issue." If he was furious about government overreach or some specific Obama policy he hated, I guarantee there wouldn't be enough people to "mock or applaud his firing." It wouldn't have been on anyone's radar at all, and he probably wouldn't even have been fired.

Obviously, the level of disgust Wendig has for the Trump administration is specific to the racism and rape-culture apologism at its center. The only rants with similar animus for Obama as an individual came from racists who thought he was "ruining America."

The problem is that you parse these situations through the lens of Titus 1:15. To pure people like Wendig, nothing is impure, while to the corrupted, all things are corrupted.

The thing is, Trump being bad doesn't make Wendig good. He still wrote an idiotic Twitter rant about how Winter is Coming for the Republican Party.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Plastik posted:

It took you 25 pages?
12 pages. Lamps doesn't start posting until halfway through the thread, which hasn't stopped them from making a hundred posts (the most anyone has posted ITT by a few dozen)

which gives us the answer to-

Zebulon posted:

I'm mystified as to why anyone still replies to them at this point.
-because they're the elephant in the room.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

12 pages. Lamps doesn't start posting until halfway through the thread, which hasn't stopped them from making a hundred posts (the most anyone has posted ITT by a few dozen)

which gives us the answer to-

-because they're the elephant in the room.

I can't stand BotL but they are asking questions (even if they are in bad faith) that at least half of America would legitimately ask if they read this forum, and probably asking them in a nicer way to boot.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Dunno if this is the right thread for this, but:

The "An Open Secret" people are now trying to go after Troma Films founder Lloyd Kaufman, which after reading the linked material makes me wonder if they were dropped on the head as a baby, or if these are always bad-faith efforts to try and take down "leftists." Obviously stuff like this isn't going to result in anything, but it does make me wonder just how incredibly stupid their followers are to not hit the "unfollow" button immediately.

https://twitter.com/AnOpenSecret/status/1055577456340541440

https://twitter.com/AnOpenSecret/status/1055584009219174400
And of course they tie it back to Kaufman and James Gunn tweeting to each other about NAMBLA circa 2008, something which is definitely a confession of membership by the both of them and could not possibly have been a joke. And as further evidence, Kaufman was apparently once photographed having dinner with John Podesta.

The unfortunate thing, of course, is that there no doubt are rings of pedos in Hollywood and other high places, but Cernovich, this account, Jack Posobiec, etc just further muddy the waters and make it harder to separate actual allegations from the rabbithole of pizzagate-esque insanity.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The idea of going after Lloyd Kaufman for making distasteful jokes is hilarious

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
"Why should any parents trust you to direct Troma films with their children?" reads like a goddamn parody.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

"I thought Troma was a family company! I am outraged sir, outraged!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
I remember reading a Dutch interview with Lloyd Kaufman back in 2003 where he spoke out against Roman Polanski and how Hollywood giving him a standing ovation was more disgusting than anything Troma could ever come up with.

It's summarized right here: https://www.schokkendnieuws.nl/specials/4677-dieptepunt-de-vijf-meest-geschifte-interviews

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's nothing to fire Lloyd Kaufman from.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope Lloyd's response is like Murray Martini's from Tromeo & Juliet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
The only Troma movie I've ever seen is Doggie Tails, Vol. 1: Lucky's First Sleep-Over. I am disgusted by this Lloyd Kaufman fellow.

• Locked thread