Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
When music critics talk about the impact of David Bowie on rock music, they tend to focus on certain periods of his music, whether it be his Ziggy Stardust phase, his Thin White Duke phase, the Berlin Trilogy, or my father's personal favorite, Old Man Bowie. Oddly enough, three of his best-selling albums in the United States are never mentioned. Actually, scratch that. Music critics never mention three of his best-selling albums for good reason - one was essentially a pop album, one has been forgotten, and one is regarded as being the dirt-worst Bowie album that does not feature a song about a laughing gnome. Well, guess what's next in line for the Bowie box set treatment?

press release posted:

Parlophone Records are proud to announce DAVID BOWIE ‘LOVING THE ALIEN (1983 – 1988)’ the fourth in a series of box sets spanning his career from 1969.

The follow-up to the award winning and critically acclaimed DAVID BOWIE ‘FIVE YEARS (1969 – 1973)’, DAVID BOWIE ‘WHO CAN I BE NOW? (1974 – 1976)’ and DAVID BOWIE ‘A NEW CAREER IN A NEW TOWN (1977 – 1982)’ will be released on 12th October.

DAVID BOWIE ‘LOVING THE ALIEN (1983 – 1988)’ will contain a brand new production of the 1987 album ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN’ by Bowie producer/engineer Mario McNulty with new instrumentation by Bowie collaborators Reeves Gabrels (guitar), David Torn (guitar), Sterling Campbell (drums), Tim Lefebvre (bass) as well as a string quartet with arrangements by Nico Muhly and a guest cameo by Laurie Anderson on ‘Shining Star (Makin’ My Love)’.

The eleven CD box, fifteen-piece vinyl set and standard digital download box set is named after the opening track from the ‘Tonight’ album and includes newly remastered versions of David’s most commercially successful period ‘LET’S DANCE’, ‘TONIGHT’, ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN (ORIGINAL and 2018 VERSIONS)’, the live album ‘GLASS SPIDER (Live Montreal ’87)’, the previously unreleased ‘SERIOUS MOONLIGHT’ live album, a collection of original remixes entitled ‘DANCE’ and the non-album/alternate version/b-sides and soundtrack music compilation RE:CALL 4.

Exclusive to each of the box sets is ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN (2018)’, a new production of the 1987 album. The seeds of this reimagining of the album were first sown in 2008 when David asked Mario McNulty to remix the track ‘Time Will Crawl’ and record new drums by longtime Bowie drummer, Sterling Campbell, along with strings. The track was issued on the iSelect compilation to much acclaim, and in the notes, for that record, David remarked ‘Oh, to redo the rest of that album’.

Fast-forward to early 2018 McNulty entered Electric Lady Studios in New York with Sterling, Tim Lefebvre on bass, who was in the ★ (“Blackstar") band and Reeves Gabrels and David Torn on guitars. All of the musicians had a history with David, so were a perfect fit for what now sound like brand new songs. Nico Muhly, whom Mario first met when they were both interns working for Philip Glass in 2001, has handled the string arrangements.

The re-workings have revealed ‘Never Let Me Down’ as a very strong collection of songs with a dark thematic thread running through them. Fans listening to ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN (2018)’ would be forgiven for thinking that they were listening to a brand new ‘lost’ Bowie record.

This 2018 version of the album will also feature newly 'remixed' artwork reflecting the album’s subject matter and features unseen images from the original cover photographic session from the archive of Greg Gorman.

Also in each box is the never before released ‘SERIOUS MOONLIGHT’ live album recorded in Vancouver, in 1983. Originally mixed at the time by Bob Clearmountain, the double album captures Bowie on what at that time was his most successful tour. The artwork features shots taken by photographer Denis O’Regan.

Also included is the 2CD / 3LP GLASS SPIDER (LIVE MONTREAL ’87) album, making its debut on vinyl (which is exclusive to the LP box). The tour’s innovative set and marriage of music and theatre has been cited as a big inspiration to acts in the 2000’s. Speaking in 1991 about Glass Spider Bowie said, “It was the first time I'd had the opportunity to spend that kind of money and do shows like that! The first time since Diamond Dogs, anyway...I thought, right! Let’s really spend some money! I had all these thwarted dreams of what I'd tried to do with rock 'n roll in the early '70s”.

Exclusive to each box is ‘RE:CALL 4’ and ‘DANCE’. The former a new compilation featuring remastered contemporary single versions, non-album singles, album edits, b-sides and songs featured on soundtracks such as Labyrinth, Absolute Beginners and When The Wind Blows. ‘DANCE’ features 12 contemporaneous remixes some of which are appearing on CD and vinyl for the first time and is named after an unreleased Bowie remix album that was originally slated for release in November 1985.

The physical box set’s accompanying book, 128 pages in the CD box and 84 in the vinyl set, will feature rarely seen and previously unpublished photos by photographers including Denis O’Regan, Greg Gorman, Herb Ritts and many others as well as historical press reviews and technical notes about the albums from producers/engineers Nile Rodgers, Hugh Padgham, Mario McNulty and Justin Shirley-Smith.

The CD box set will include faithfully reproduced mini-vinyl versions of the original albums, and the CDs will be gold coloured rather than the usual silver. The vinyl box set has the same content as the CD set and is pressed on audiophile quality 180g vinyl. As well as ‘Never Let Me Down (2018)’, ‘Dance’ and ‘Re:Call 4’, both ‘Serious Moonlight (Live ’83)’ and ‘Glass Spider (Live Montreal ’87)’.

You've got to admit that Warner Music has balls to release a David Bowie box set with just those three studio albums in it. I'd have guessed they'd throw in Tin Machine I & II just to fill it out and give it an edge, but they went in a very different direction with an extra live album and collection of dance remixes. A re-worked song originally from Never Let Me Down has been released, so you can hear what the 2018 album sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTGGb2VUmGg

Also, for the record, Too Dizzy is not in the collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I've never heard 80's Bowie referred to as his "Phil Collins period", thanks for that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bowie himself coined the term!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If that serious moonlight bootleg is the same as the one I have it’s pretty good

• Locked thread