Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
REDWOOD CITY - Barry Bonds' ex-wife, breaking down in tears on the witness stand, has claimed he beat her repeatedly during their stormy marriage and kicked her when she was eight months' pregnant.

Testimony by Sun Bonds provided a dramatic start Wednesday to the second phase of the couple's high-stakes divorce trial before San Mateo County Superior Court Judge Judith Kozloksi.

Kozloski has already upheld a 1987 prenuptial agreement in which Barry and Sun Bonds agreed to keep their financial assets separate.

Sun Bonds hopes to show that the behavior of the San Francisco Giants slugger kept her from making a living, a factor that can be considered in setting permanent spousal support.

Under questioning by her attorney, Lawrence Stotter, Sun Bonds described several incidents that depicted one of baseball's highest paid players as an egotistical wife-beater who wanted to control her life.

Sun Bonds, citing an incident she said had happened in 1989 when the couple lived in Pennsylvania, told the judge that her husband had become enraged when she told him she wanted to obtain a cosmetologist license.

"He came after me and pulled me down on the carpet and kicked me while I was on the floor," she said.

At the time, she said, she was pregnant with their now 5-year-old son, Nikolai.

Robert Nachsin, an attorney for Barry Bonds, said in his opening statement that he would discredit Sun Bond's allegations with testimony from witnesses, including household employees.

"Mrs. Bonds felt that the only way she could win in this proceeding was to embarrass Mr. Bonds," Nachsin said.

"We will show Mr. Bonds supported Mrs. Bonds financially and emotionally and paid for her (cosmetology) school. . . . She made the decision after the children were born not to work."

Sun Bonds, a native of Sweden, said that her husband had told her it was her job to be a mother and homemaker and that his own mother had given up a career as a model.

Eventually, Sun Bonds said, she stopped talking about having a cosmetology career, a goal she was pursuing when she met Bonds while working as a Montreal bartender. Bonds was then an up-and-coming player with the Pittsburgh Pirates; today, he is in the third year of a six-year $43 million contract with the Giants.

Sun Bonds described several other alleged fights. After one incident in which she said her husband choked her, she said she had called police - but had not filed a report.

"Barry was this big man that was loving me one minute, and the next minute he was beating me up," she said. "I was scared. I didn't know what he would do after" the police left.

According to court records, Sun Bonds called Atherton police in August 1993, claiming Barry Bonds had hit her and pushed her down some stairs. He claimed she had attacked him. No charges were filed against either party after a review of the case by the district attorney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Pretty funny watching everyone wring their hands over Roberto Osuna in the News/Views thread while there's a tribute thread to this rear end in a top hat here

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

kensei posted:

A long time ago, an SAS mod told me it was okay to appreciate an athlete for what they did on the field while despising them off the field. That being said, I get why you are mad about Barry, but there's no one making you read this or post in here.

No but I do have to read peoples' posts in N/V and gamedays that wax poetic about SIR BARROLD which is tiresome as hell, also sorry but if you're gonna celebrate the man you should celebrate the whole man :colbert:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
What I find most impressive about Barry is that he managed to abuse his wife and child at the same time, and it's probably before he even started juicing!

You don't find two way superstars like that very often

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Ah yes, universally beloved Barry Bonds (outside of SAS). Exactly the same :lol:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
If John Lennon wasn't shot he'd almost certainly be dead now anyway, probably still the first Beatle to go too :shrug:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Craptacular! posted:

Like I get Bonds was an rear end in a top hat, but a different flavor of poo poo was flung at Michael Jackson for the same reasons.

(I’m not responding to any responses on this, I just wanted to say my opinion and now leave the soapbox.)

:eyepop:

So do you think Sun Bonds was like, lying orrrrrr

fake edit: oh right you're not responding, well thats good because your position is dumb as gently caress and i fear you may continue to restate it

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Craptacular! posted:

I didn’t say any specific woman was lying, but there were multiple women, and the steroid trial led into it. And a black man who has come into a lot of money and the public wants to destroy for steroids, it’s not unsurprising when you can find a line of women talking about his violent behavior.

So people hate Bonds for being black, and that somehow made women accuse him of abuse.

Jesus shut the gently caress up dude, I'd admit as much as anyone that Bonds took a bunch of poo poo for his skin color but this is decidedly not that. Curiously enough, most well-adjusted adults don't care what the purported reason for abuse was. Not to mention the countless other athletes who have roided up and managed to not beat the gently caress out of their wife and kid.

I bet you think Chris Brown was persecuted too

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Remember that time David Ortiz got named in the Mitchell Report and then it came out that he was a horrible domestic abusing monster?

Me neither

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Craptacular! posted:

The countless other roided athletes who aren’t abusers would actually disprove the government’s argument in having Kimberly Bell tell abuse stories.

Bonds being a piece of poo poo domestic abuser is a completely different argument from Bonds being a piece of poo poo cheater, and I'm not sure why you try to keep lumping them together.

quote:

I’m not saying Bonds never abused any women; the Sun Bonds story is from 1995, before Bonds began working with Greg Anderson. But some of the horrific stories, including graphic threats of murder, came as a result of an ex’s testimony to help a federal prosecutor lock him up on an unrelated matter.

My dude, I just read that article and lol it really doesn't paint the picture you so vigorously claim. You can't just scan for the word 'golddigger' in an article and then claim that proves the victim has ulterior motives. Sounds an awful lot like poisoning the well to me.

quote:

And if you think prosecutors don’t coach witnesses to embellish stories and twist details without getting themselves in trouble, I don’t know what to tell you.

Tell me something that's actually substantive about race w/r/t Bond's domestic abuse. Because you haven't, you just projected on everyone, including the woman crying on the witness stand.

quote:

And no I didn’t think Chris Brown was being unfairly persecuted, because Rihanna isn’t white. If that was the conclusion you reached then you missed the whole point.

So by this logic, Chris Brown would have been unfairly persecuted if Rihanna was white? :raise:

The conclusion I've come to is that you've conflated two separate issues and don't care because SIR BARROLD

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I feel I have to reiterate that Barry Bonds was absolutely 100% poo poo on constantly for being a successful black man, there's absolutely no denying that. I'm just saying that it doesn't enter into the domestic violence stuff.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Craptacular! posted:

I know it doesn’t vibe with the Sympathize With The Woman Always motto that’s in fashion, but I’ll go ahead and admit I have greater skepticism for white women accusing black men of victimizing them, if you can admit the whole point of that testimony had very little to do with whether Bonds knowingly took The Clear and a lot more to do with ruining his public image.

It doesn't matter what the point or objective was if it's loving true. And judging by what's on the record with Sun Bonds, who btw is decidedly not white apparently quite white, aww gee shucks I'm just not willing to give Barry the benefit of the doubt on this one, no matter how many times he smiles in spring training.

Thanks for justifying all my posting in this thread, though.

NiceGuy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 19, 2018

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Whoops, my mistake! Her last name and complexion made me think otherwise! It’s still a dumb point.

Edit: although I’d love to hear what you’d ‘take apart’ from what I said other than that error though :allears:

NiceGuy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Eegah! posted:

I think at the end of the day its such an unproductive waste to scold everyone who ever admires a problematic person's achievements because everything in our current society is unbelievably problematic and exploitative.

Everything is bad so don't criticize bad stuff? That sure is a thought.

Eegah! posted:

Culture is downwind of power, so constantly keeping track of and updating your enjoyments based off of how problematic it is isn't going to change anything.

I'm not, and neither is anyone else who brings it up. It's just gross when Addison Russell's name draws cringes but Sir Barrold gets the god treatment :shrug:

Eegah! posted:

I think just about everyone who admires Bonds does it with the acknowledgement that he was a piece of poo poo.

You'd be forgiven for ignoring Craptastic!'s posts on most occasions but it's pretty obvious you're ignoring it here because it doesn't play to your point (spoiler: bitches be lyinnnn I mean right guys?)

Nah that's just how terrible people rationalize the equally awful world we live in.

• Locked thread