Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Its really hard to reconcile and you can't discount his lovely behavior. I grew up watching Bonds play and a huge part of my childhood was being amazed by him. I'm just at a point where I recognize he is a gigantic piece of poo poo, but I can't just rip out all of the memories and what it meant to me watching him.

Anyway, I'm going to the game tonight and the number ceremony tomorrow wearing my Bonds jersey and it will be emotional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah it's weird. I've been a Giants fan since I was a kid and Bonds was my favorite player growing up. Obviously he's not the nicest guy ever but man I have never seen an athlete in any sport with the presence Bonds had at the plate.

He is a fascinating man when you consider the context he was playing and a lot of his animosity came from how he watched people treat his father. He's just a Wagner type of figure where you can't help but admire a man who has more intentional walks than the Tampa Bay Rays despite his off the field issues.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh my god that game against the Dodgers where he was getting in front of Eric Gagne throwing 101 at him. Who could do that, even against like, a pitching machine.

Whenever someone tries to concern troll about that era I just send them that at bat. Just absolutely insane the level of talent we got to witness.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

NiceGuy posted:

It doesn't matter what the point or objective was if it's loving true. And judging by what's on the record with Sun Bonds, who btw is decidedly not white, aww gee shucks I'm just not willing to give Barry the benefit of the doubt on this one, no matter how many times he smiles in spring training.

Thanks for justifying all my posting in this thread, though.

There's a lot to take apart with his post, but calling a Swedish woman not white is a weird one.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

I think at the end of the day its such an unproductive waste to scold everyone who ever admires a problematic person's achievements because everything in our current society is unbelievably problematic and exploitative. Culture is downwind of power, so constantly keeping track of and updating your enjoyments based off of how problematic it is isn't going to change anything. I think just about everyone who admires Bonds does it with the acknowledgement that he was a piece of poo poo.

Remember, every famous person you like is awful. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/19/us/asia-argento-assault-jimmy-bennett.html

• Locked thread