Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

care to post any exampls

my work gave me an elite book x360 and I like it god bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the most shocking thing about having a new thinkpad though is that the lenovo companion app ("Vantage") is actually not *too* terrible, ending a solid decade of the thing becoming more and more awful (most notoriously the previous "modern" app, which replaced a decrepit ibm thingy, but just didn't function at all). not that one needs it, but there are a few features that don't hurt. i like the battery charge limit settings despite them likely being of dubious value.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

care to post any exampls

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

do current thinkpads still have the rectangle charging port?

looks like the x1 crabon is usbc for example

i've got a ton of rectangle port chargers (even one that runs off 12V DC for telescope trips)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

actually the best computers are manufactured by Hewlett Packard inc

hewlett packard doesn't make laptops anymore, hp does

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
actually Hewlett Packard inc makes laptops. Hewlett Packard enterprise makes bad storage appliances

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Stymie posted:

hewlett packard doesn't make laptops anymore, hp does

that avatar is starting to subsume your personality

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

actually Hewlett Packard inc makes laptops. Hewlett Packard enterprise makes bad storage appliances

the company name is hp inc, not hewlett packard inc

the name "hewlett packard" is only used by hewlett packard enterprise

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SO DEMANDING posted:

that avatar is starting to subsume your personality

whoever gave it to me wanted more fishmechs

they made their choice

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I’ve been owned

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
who is hewlett packard

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jimmyjams posted:

who is hewlett packard

bill hewlett and james packard

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

do current thinkpads still have the rectangle charging port?

looks like the x1 crabon is usbc for example

i've got a ton of rectangle port chargers (even one that runs off 12V DC for telescope trips)

Yes they use the rectangle one

At least the T series do

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yes they use the rectangle one

At least the T series do

Work got me an X1 yoga, it's USB-C.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The contrast of the super smooth light X1 yoga with the humongous five+ port dongle brick everyone has hanging off of it always makes me chuckle.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I wouldn't get a yoga personally. I'd get a t25 or t480

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I like flipping the screen around

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

do you have the oled screen though?

i would never consider the yoga, but people do rave about those screens

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i want a laptop with an oled screen. would be very nice

a good one though, not a lenovo

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I'll stick with the p series, it's a boss laptop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have an og thinkpad yoga from 2014 because As A Professor And Also A Designer i actually do use the drawing on screen stuff fairly regularly, but gently caress getting a surface because i need a real keyboard. thinkpads still have the best kbs on the market

it is getting long in the tooth (screen is getting scratched and i really need more ram) but it is a great laptop. when it finally gives up the ghost i think i will get another yoga carbon or whatever is current.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

TimWinter posted:

I'll stick with the p series, it's a boss laptop

pee series

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

is the p1 any good?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This brand new T480 touchpad is utter dogshit compared to the cheapest base 5 year old macbook air I used before. Just awful.

Get your poo poo together every touchpad maker

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

This brand new T480 touchpad is utter dogshit compared to the cheapest base 5 year old macbook air I used before. Just awful.

Get your poo poo together every touchpad maker

Who the hell uses the TouchPad on a thinkpad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the nib is terrible

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the clitmouse is a pretty bad input device, its just that so are all of lenovo's trackpads

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

carry on then posted:

is the p1 any good?

I don't know. P50 is p sweet though.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the clitmouse is a pretty bad input device, its just that so are all trackpads

ftfy, even apple trackpads are garbage

The only good input device is trackball + 3D Spacemouse.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

TimWinter posted:

I don't know. P50 is p sweet though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it really blows me away that after what- over a decade now- no other pc manufacturer has managed to come even close to apple's trackpads. why is that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rex-Goliath posted:

it really blows me away that after what- over a decade now- no other pc manufacturer has managed to come even close to apple's trackpads. why is that

probably half patents half everyone who designs pc laptops has the attitude of the poster a few above because they don’t personally like gestures or some poo poo

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
iunno it always seems like i have to use a lot more force moving my finger around on apple touchpads than on Thinkpads

anyone else experience this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah that's the same for me too. apple ones feel "slow" for some reason

i have a thinkpad with the "worst" trackpad (the one with no buttons where the whole thing moves down) and i like it just fine. it's smoother than apple ones, which i really don't like the feel of, and i like the more positive click than the teeny apple *tic* although when you set it to max it's okay.

what i really miss is when trackpads had that pattern of little dots. something about that just felt better

e: this

make that pattern on the size of a modern one and :circlefap:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 1, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i have a thinkpad with the "worst" trackpad (the one with no buttons where the whole thing moves down) and i like it just fine. it's smoother than apple ones, which i really don't like the feel of, and i like the more positive click than the teeny apple *tic* although when you set it to max it's okay.

what i really miss is when trackpads had that pattern of little dots. something about that just felt better

i hate the little dots. might be because every dots trackpad i ever used was tiny dogshit though

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

funny that everything in this post is wrong

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, there are two obvious downsides mbp fans ought to know when considering the x1c (same largely holds for all thinkpad x/t's)

1. you will likely hate the trackpad. i find it functions fine (precision trackpad, so largely the same as an xps one), but it is not least *tiny*, so if you're used to a mbp i doubt you'd find that acceptable
2. the build is very different from a mbp. they are extremely durable, but if you really enjoy the unyielding solidity of the metal construction the relative flex of carbon fiber may feel cheap

can't say i fault anyone for feeling either one is a dealbreaker, pretty drat expensive stuff to not be happy about it

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

window coputer trackpads all seem like poo poo

and maybe sagedork's wrong ideas are based on having to adapt for a day to a different acceleration curve???

the nub on legit ibm thunk pads (well a t42 maybe i dunno cause that was 1000 years ago) was gr8, and because they can serve different purposes I would love to have one on my macsbooks professional alongside the actually working touch pad

but uhhh, PC computer inputs ?

farts :gas:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
iirc the t480/t480s dont have glass trackpads while the x1 carbons do

the getaway is: get an x1 carbon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted: