Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
the dots is just a sticker, you can remove it and you get a smooth trackpad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Honestly if this T480 trackpad had even somewhat decent resolution/smoothness/non terrible clicking instead of being 100% pure dogshit to it's core it would be the ideal laptop. The jerkiness in the scrolling alone is driving me insane.

That and the keyboard backlight bleeding around the edges of the keys so much. It's like getting dazzled with a laser if you look at it from too sharp of an angle. So close lenovo...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh, yeah, the keyboard backlight on the x1c is not great, bleeds too much and no option to have it fade out when you don't touch anything

i still consider the x1c the best laptop ever, but that is a small annoyance without being a tradeoff

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

akadajet posted:

those dots and that trackpad are the cheapest nastiest feeling things

You seem to have misspelled your mothers name here?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I actually used the clit mouse on my ThinkPad R50 more than the touchpad. This was 2004.

Biggest gripe with my T470 other than the bad screen is the Linux touchpad driver barely registers tap clicking and dragging selection feels wrong.

Also just found out my SIM card slot under the battery doesn't have a mobile broadband adapter, since it seems to do nothing. There's no indication anywhere that the slot goes nowhere. I'll have to dig up the order invoice.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

nah that's the same for me too. apple ones feel "slow" for some reason

i have a thinkpad with the "worst" trackpad (the one with no buttons where the whole thing moves down) and i like it just fine. it's smoother than apple ones, which i really don't like the feel of, and i like the more positive click than the teeny apple *tic* although when you set it to max it's okay.

what i really miss is when trackpads had that pattern of little dots. something about that just felt better

e: this

make that pattern on the size of a modern one and :circlefap:

looks like poo poo op

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pram posted:

looks like poo poo op

:hmmyes:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceAceJase posted:

I actually used the clit mouse on my ThinkPad R50 more than the touchpad. This was 2004.

Biggest gripe with my T470 other than the bad screen is the Linux touchpad driver barely registers tap clicking and dragging selection feels wrong.

Also just found out my SIM card slot under the battery doesn't have a mobile broadband adapter, since it seems to do nothing. There's no indication anywhere that the slot goes nowhere. I'll have to dig up the order invoice.

You probably need to install an optional wwan card. Personally I'd use the slot for extra storage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, its 2018, just tether to your iphone (which has faster transfer speeds anyways)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, its 2018, just tether to your iphone (which has faster transfer speeds anyways)

the right solution and possible with usb if thats more desirable

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

akadajet posted:

those dots and that trackpad are the cheapest nastiest feeling things

literally the first thing i did when i had one of these dotted trackpad thinkpads was scratch the dots off

the base material was better and more needs suiting

ofc then i discovered the one true pointing device, the trackpoint

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

So close lenovo...

pcs in a nutshell

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the magic trackpad is the best pointing device ever created and you have to be mentally ill to think otherwise. everything else just pisses me off now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

trackpads are so bad at literally everything compared to the mouse, specifically the logitech g9

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

trackpads are so bad at literally everything compared to the mouse, specifically the logitech g9

Sagebrush posted:

nah that's the same for me too. apple ones feel "slow" for some reason

i have a thinkpad with the "worst" trackpad (the one with no buttons where the whole thing moves down) and i like it just fine. it's smoother than apple ones, which i really don't like the feel of, and i like the more positive click than the teeny apple *tic* although when you set it to max it's okay.

what i really miss is when trackpads had that pattern of little dots. something about that just felt better

e: this

make that pattern on the size of a modern one and :circlefap:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes, the best trackpad surface texture is that array of dots and all trackpads are still inferior to a ten dollar wheel mouse.

what's hard for you to understand?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

you

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

yes, the best trackpad surface texture is that array of dots and all trackpads are still inferior to a ten dollar wheel mouse.

wrong the best mouse is either my specific trackball or for some reason this g600 with an absolute embarrassment of buttons that has not caused wrist discomfort despite anything not a trackball bothering me after 30 minutes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is almost weird how logitech has managed to avoid loving up too badly in the usual tech company ways, have pretty much always made sensible good stuff at reasonable prices

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Can't even name a single bad Logitech product

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

the m570 had some iffy button switches, but that got fixed with the mx ergo, which is pretty pro tier.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is almost weird how logitech has managed to avoid loving up too badly in the usual tech company ways, have pretty much always made sensible good stuff at reasonable prices

they stumbled pretty hard with the revue (their google tv box) https://www.theverge.com/2011/11/10/2553406/logitech-ceo-google-tv-cost-us-dearly-no-revue-replacement-coming

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

shameful lesson learned about why no one should ever partner with GOOG :shrug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think they also had a smart remote (?) that was a shitshow, but a few dubious products will happen, i sort of expect tech companies these days to suddenly try to become a boutique brand, or start really stupid retail stores, announce that all future products will somehow be on the blockchain, outsource most of their products to a really trash chinese brand, or something like that

the fact that they have just reliably made mostly worthy products at sane prices is from that perspective surprising

sort of apropos for the thread in that it is equally surprising that lenovo hasn't ruined the t/x, since everything else they make is absolute junk

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the think light and a great nubbin' are the two things I still miss about my ol' t42 or whatever it was that got me through the mid-2000s

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

SpaceAceJase posted:

I used to have a wireless Logitech mouse which had a charging base station with two wires, one to the mains and a USB cable to the computer. Also the rubberised coating on the mouse starting peeling off in a gross way after a few years.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
the touchpad on the 6th gen x1c is probaby the best pc touchpad i have used, its actually tolerable for most things under linux

i never liked the touchpad on the 3rd gen x1c, figured it was just bad under linux, then put windows 10 on it for skype and realiezd it is just a bad touchpad altogether

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

wireless dongle because it exists instead of using bluetooth

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Endless Mike posted:

sorta shocked you would be mad about tiny dongles that people forget is even there :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think they also had a smart remote (?) that was a shitshow, but a few dubious products will happen, i sort of expect tech companies these days to suddenly try to become a boutique brand, or start really stupid retail stores, announce that all future products will somehow be on the blockchain, outsource most of their products to a really trash chinese brand, or something like that

the fact that they have just reliably made mostly worthy products at sane prices is from that perspective surprising

sort of apropos for the thread in that it is equally surprising that lenovo hasn't ruined the t/x, since everything else they make is absolute junk

w/ the smart remote they totally hosed up they ended up giving everyone who bought one free upgrades to the replacement so that goes a long way to erasing the mistake.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

bt sucks rear end

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Logitech doesn't really make a good mouse anymore. the mx master and mx performance are both sub-par replacements for the mx revolution

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

bt sucks rear end

eh flaming june was massive bitd

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

eh flaming june was massive bitd

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

bt sucks rear end

i have a bt mouse and when i want to use it i wiggle it around and it works then turns off when im done with it. no dongles, very needs suiting

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Shaggar posted:

Logitech doesn't really make a good mouse anymore. the mx master and mx performance are both sub-par replacements for the mx revolution

:agreed: but logitech mouses (sic) are still the least bad of the bunch

surprisingly, some of their gamer poo poo is actually needs suiting as long as you install a panel over your mouse area to avoid the shame of seeing gamer poo poo all the time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the g502 would be good if they moved the buttons on the top left down to the side and then replaced the manual scroll toggle w/ a programmable one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

loving life from my dying but functional used x201 from 2010

• Locked thread