Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
the combat is engaging if you like avoid firefights if that makes sense the only thing that really sticks with me as a negative is how much you have to float around in the g.u.t.s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Fighting anything more complicated than a mimic in this game reveals how lovely the combat is.

I know you're staying away from psionics but they make the combat pretty fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I know you're staying away from psionics but they make the combat pretty fun

I think I'll play the game again in the future with 100% psi powers or something so for now I've just been buffing the shotgun to make it more powerful and stockpiling BFG ammo for when I have to find the mind control guys and the technoblobs or whatever.

Made it further today, the arboretum was cool, and im hoping to uncover a lot of personal secrets by poking around the crew quarters. i think the only thing I dont like the spacewalk stuff, bc it seems potentially rad but actually navigating the external area is annoying bc its just a large beige rectangle.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If you're going all human the L3 combat focus power is stupid good . First 2 levels don't do much of anything but then it just turns into Witch Time

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

add me to the list of people who missed this when it came out and picked it up from the sale

definitely digging the atmosphere, just got my first neuromod so still very early but excited to see where this goes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got to a later part where you meet all the survivors holed up in cargo and they're all talking over each other an the VA is all this soulless mumbling that I was gonna say was Bethesda-tier trash and then I remembered. also it's exacerbated by maybe a PC only bug where the voice volume can't be adjusted and it plays roughly 2.5x louder than everything else and has a blown out static. I can set it to 0 and they shut up but even at 1 it plays crazy loud

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I got to a later part where you meet all the survivors holed up in cargo and they're all talking over each other an the VA is all this soulless mumbling that I was gonna say was Bethesda-tier trash and then I remembered. also it's exacerbated by maybe a PC only bug where the voice volume can't be adjusted and it plays roughly 2.5x louder than everything else and has a blown out static. I can set it to 0 and they shut up but even at 1 it plays crazy loud

One thing I like is that Fallout: New Vegas style you can kill literally everyone and never interact with an NPC. Hell you can even blow up January bot when you first meet her and basically play the game with no quest direction whatsoever lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

One thing I like is that Fallout: New Vegas style you can kill literally everyone and never interact with an NPC. Hell you can even blow up January bot when you first meet her and basically play the game with no quest direction whatsoever lol

Lol cool. I was tempted to hack the cargo bay doors and just bolt and leave the typhoon mob to maul all these people but I'll save it for my mimic Chaos playthrough

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xposting my thoughts from games you beat. I played this basically all drat day lol

In Training posted:

I really loved the first uhhh 2/3rds of it. At some point they run out of new areas and kinda have you doing loops around the game but the tense exploratory atmosphere is replaced with a rushed action packed pace that I didn't enjoy as much, but by the end of the game you have so many neuromods installed and have hoarded so much healing crap you're ludicrously OP anyway so it was kinda fun to jet past enemies doming poo poo in slo-mo with a uflly upgraded shotgun. I think I'll play it again at some point on hard.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad that I started on HARD but the modifiers are sort of dumb. Repairing my weapons is way more of a nuisance than an interesting mechanic and I should've known that going in to it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I'm glad that I started on HARD but the modifiers are sort of dumb. Repairing my weapons is way more of a nuisance than an interesting mechanic and I should've known that going in to it

That's only if you check Survival mode. I haven't played that but Hard isn't bad at all and doesn't have those mechanics (Survival was only added in a patch like last month I believe) it just means you have to stealth around a little more and use environmental stuff more often

edit: i'll probably do Survival for my NG+ though just to try it. Still not sure what carries over, I think you get all your fabrication blueprints and research but not your neuromods? Idk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You only keep neuromods, nothing else

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

You only keep neuromods, nothing else

Oh lol that's even more OP then , especially if you were to do all human in your second run and didn't have to research anything . Unfortunately i'm doing it the other way around but whatever

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
jumping into the helicopter blades and dying in the intro ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Burnt Dick
May 3, 2018
Anyone else find it funny that so many of the crew have lemon peels on them, and you always find them in bins or on desks etc? Everyone walking around Talos 1 like

Burnt Dick
May 3, 2018

In Training posted:

I instantly shattered it with my wrench and yelled

I unloaded 2 or 3 rounds from my 12 gauge here. Usually I hate lazy jumpscares in games but I thought that one was really well done

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s cool that it’s the only jump scare in the game but it’s perfectly executed. Usually I don’t fall for jump scares, I’ll flinch a bit at most, but this one made me scream JESUS and put two shotgun shells into the wall.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s cool that it’s the only jump scare in the game but it’s perfectly executed. Usually I don’t fall for jump scares, I’ll flinch a bit at most, but this one made me scream JESUS and put two shotgun shells into the wall.

theres a second one in the elevator on the way to the arboretum at the end of the game that was lame but in retrospect that may be optional since there's alternate paths to the arboretum at that point in the game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Burnt Dick posted:

Anyone else find it funny that so many of the crew have lemon peels on them, and you always find them in bins or on desks etc? Everyone walking around Talos 1 like

I love finding all the baseballs signed by the same guy then finding out why they exist lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don't often care about Lore in games but Prey has some good Lore

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I let the test subject out so I could get his code and immediately domed him

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I let the test subject out so I could get his code and immediately domed him

You sound more like Predator than Prey.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I like the "shuttle heading towards earth" sidequest that as far as I know has no effect on anything and just exists to gently caress with you

Burnt Dick
May 3, 2018
Just completed this. The game really changes towards the end, when all the military operators appear. I'd spent all my mods and upgrade kits on powers and weapons for taking out Typhon, then all of a sudden I'm at a huge disadvantage. I'm blowing phantoms away left and right but hiding from robots, when I had to infiltrate the shuttle I summoned the nightmare to keep them all busy. Then scavenged everywhere for upgrade kits and materials for the stun gun and electroshock ability.

I had a suspicion that I was in some sort of simulation because much earlier in the game I jumped in Alex's escape pod by making myself a GLOO bridge :gizz: and heard the voices. Ended up with the ending with everyone saying how great I was, I went down with the ship as well. Hoping there will be a sequel

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I thought the game was really hard but I’m probably just bad at gaming ahoohoohoo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

theres a second one in the elevator on the way to the arboretum at the end of the game that was lame but in retrospect that may be optional since there are alternate paths to the arboretum at that point in the game

I hit this one right as I went down to the lobby from the arboretum and found the Nightmare sitting right outside the elevator, noped the gently caress back up and then the power cut out. I honestly thought it was a Nightmare specific scripted thing

Speaking of which, I never got the quest to deal with the Nightmare which was a real pain in the rear end. As far as I can tell, he always knows where you are so there's no point hiding, so every time he spawned I just went back to the area I just transitioned from, waited 2 minutes, and then went on my business. It ended up just being super tedious rather than tense or scary in any way.

I really enjoyed the game, but everything after Dahl shows up was kind of awful. At least the Apex Typhon was pretty cool.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Prey is on sale on PSN for $15 and I highly recommend it, it's a QuakeCon sale so it might be going on sale on Steam this week too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh poo poo speaking of Quakecon isn't the new Doom gameplay reveal today?

edit: it's Friday

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i played about 5 hours of doom 2016 and havent really felt like loading it back up. i got to hell and thought the real game was about to start, but it turned out i was already playing it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It was pretty mediocre at best but there were the seeds of a good game buried in it so I’m keeping an eye on the sequel

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

everyone was so sure that doom 4 was going to be so aids that i got sucked into the reverse hype of people saying how much it exceeded their expectations

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

everyone was so sure that doom 4 was going to be so aids that i got sucked into the reverse hype of people saying how much it exceeded their expectations
I thought it was really fun, but I don't play a ton of FPS games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah other than Titanfall 2 I cant think of a better single player FPS this gen than Doom. Maybe that isn't saying much lol but really

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was one of the better shooters to come out but its much worse than classic titles imo. The arena thing is unforgivable

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the big problem for me is that theres 0 tension in it, its all arena fights so you go from jogging around completely safe to big arenas where you fight a bunch of enemies which are usually well telegraphed, the takedowns are basically mandatory and make the action stilted and clunky because you're constantly locking into place so you can get the +5 health pickup. finding secrets is basically mandatory as well since thats how you unlock things so you spend a lot of time walking around empty levels going to the unexplored parts of the map after youve killed everything just so you can get your +1 movement or whatever. its not bad but extremely mediocre but i think people went wild for it because their minds has been corroded by 10 years of cod, destiny and borderlands.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I liked Doom 2016 quite a bit but yeah all arenas was kinda lame

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was expecting it to be complete dogshit like wolfenstien so it was surprising when it was less boring than wolfenstien

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

any company that manages to gently caress up a game where you kill nazis should be razed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Ive finished the neuromod division and went through the GUTS but I guess I have to backtrack for the escape pod key? I've decided to stay fully human

• Locked thread