Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

victrix posted:

I'm going to get completely stuck and unable to proceed 3/4 of the way through this if I don't take meticulous notes aren't I?

I got about that far in the first game and gave up frustrated. I did really enjoy it up to that point though :v:
You don't need to have a literal notebook with you. The ingame text save functionality, complemented with steam's screenshot feature, is more than good enough for the job.

Also no shame in looking up a guide for one or two puzzles you're stuck on, you can still get to have fun solving the ones past those. The sanctity of the playthrough doesn't instantly become ruined if you happen to need advice for a couple things, and the puzzles don't exactly follow a linear difficulty progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
As far as physical notetaking, I only sketched out a map and noted down where things are. My sense of direction is worse than awful. But for all the messages and puzzle hint stuff, I just took screenshots.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm on my second playthrough and I've noticed they've changed some things, like nerfing Kujata somewhat? Or at least it felt a lot easier this time around

However they also changed the part with the golden rock in Yggdrasil, since back then you could warp out and get the item that way, but now the rock resets if you do that. However, the little platform the Mimir statue spawns won't protect you either. So what's the correct solution now to do this without getting crushed?

I also tried destroying the wall quickly before the rock comes down but it doesn't work. I maybe can break the wall with the rapier but no way I'm getting inside in time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So long as you stick to the same zone it should work as you expect, last I checked. Barring that, lamp?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The intended solution is to break the wall very fast and duck inside the chest alcove, the dagger is your best bet. You used to be able to break it ahead of time with spears but they extended the rock's width to block that off. Teleporting out will not work, the rock resets as you saw. There's a glitch where you can jump between the falling halves and not get crushed, but it comes with the risk of being zipped out of bounds and having to warp or reset the game entirely.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Swilo posted:

The intended solution is to break the wall very fast and duck inside the chest alcove, the dagger is your best bet. You used to be able to break it ahead of time with spears but they extended the rock's width to block that off. Teleporting out will not work, the rock resets as you saw. There's a glitch where you can jump between the falling halves and not get crushed, but it comes with the risk of being zipped out of bounds and having to warp or reset the game entirely.

I reckon I'm gonna have to try later when I get the lamp and the attack speed upgrades because there's no way I have time to do it right now.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's been months but I think the lamp didn't do anything to help there, which surprised the hell out of me at the time.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Looks like a patch just dropped.

quote:

Hi All

Thank you for your constant support with La-Mulana 2.

We have just updated La-Mulana 2 to Ver. 1.5.5.2.

Bug Fixes
Fixed bug sometimes preventing the player from leaving the area after fighting the guardian "Hel".
Accelerated various processes.
Adjusted various types of game balance.
Enhanced rendering where it was lacking.
Added, edited, and adjusted text.
Various other small bug fixes, etc.

We hope that you continue to enjoy La-Mulana 2.

It looks like the removal of door in C-2 of EP Doom was not intended, so they put it back in to prevent a softlock state.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I discovered tonight that at some point between the game's release and my current replay, they patched Surtr so his floor is mildly annoying lava (not even poison lava), rather than insta-death bottomless pit. They did, admittedly, also patch Surtr so the fight's actual damage output is higher, but it's still a huge improvement over the fuckery that it used to have.

I also discovered that the attack fairy will cheerfully spend all her time in that fight murdering the rocks you're trying to stand on, rather than Surtr himself.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Vil posted:

I discovered tonight that at some point between the game's release and my current replay, they patched Surtr so his floor is mildly annoying lava (not even poison lava), rather than insta-death bottomless pit. They did, admittedly, also patch Surtr so the fight's actual damage output is higher, but it's still a huge improvement over the fuckery that it used to have.

I also discovered that the attack fairy will cheerfully spend all her time in that fight murdering the rocks you're trying to stand on, rather than Surtr himself.

Sounds like a good change. iirc, the weapon fairy always did that in the fight, which is pretty annoying.

On my list of things I wish they'd change is to eliminate the enemy ramp-up as you progress through the game. It made going back through areas a huge pain and I can't think of one positive aspect to it. I want to go back through old areas near the end of the game and cruise through them, not be even more annoyed by enemies than I was the first time through. Get this level-scaling poo poo out of here.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Vil posted:

Cowards!

I did that fight meticulously avoiding knockback and everyone should suffer as I did

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sivek posted:

On my list of things I wish they'd change is to eliminate the enemy ramp-up as you progress through the game. It made going back through areas a huge pain and I can't think of one positive aspect to it. I want to go back through old areas near the end of the game and cruise through them, not be even more annoyed by enemies than I was the first time through. Get this level-scaling poo poo out of here.

I get the plot reason behind it, so I appreciate it from a sense of gameplay/story integration, but I'm right there with you from a pure-gameplay front.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i remember being worried about that when i first heard about it but by the time it became an issue i was strong enough that none of it mattered. enemy density and placement really only annoyed me in one or two places

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/LaMulana/status/1116586375371870210

That says the game's coming to consoles 27/6

As they note, it's a year after the PC release. We don't even have to change the thread title!

Hopefully the game can get some attention now. The original release was practically stealthed out. Nintendo might promote it a bit.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gonna buy this again because, holy poo poo, gaming on the Switch rules. I'll demonstrate the underworld gate puzzle to people on the go and they'll call me insane.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Another patch dropped yesterday.

The biggest change I noticed was there is no longer a ladder from the Hall of Malice ankh point to the cog room by default. You can make it appear by entering from Heaven's Labyrinth and dropping a weight on a new platform, though. Also four particular rooms in one area have Mulanese numbers that weren't there before, though admittedly this may not be new to this patch

I'm torn on the change because while it seems necessary to prevent a softlock condition for poorly-equipped players who activate the boss rush, save, then find themselves trapped because they can't warp out and don't have the skills to kill four minibosses, you have multiple save slots for a reason. Though it feels like the crab blocking the only way out in that case is way more of a damage sponge than it was before.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Did they ever buff Nidhoggr? It's kind of supposed to scare you off from the treetop entrance for a good long while, probably until you've found the other entrance from battlefield, but from what I've seen most players either beat it right away or as soon as they clear the roots. I mean, I like that it's not impossible to beat right away but it kind of muddles the sequence of the game for a beginner.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

^^ Not sure. This seems easy enough to test just by grinding gold in Roots for shurikens since Nidhogg's pattern is stupidly easy.

Couple of other observations in stuff that's changed.

Minor one: you can no longer manipulate the Corridor of Blood unless the Behelit has absorbed at least one Dissonance. This definitely was not the case in the launch version of the game and for a long while after that.

Very endgame, unsure if oversight: If you travel to EP Gloom after defeating the 9th Child, most of the doors to Doom are either closed or collapsed but they left one open in the room to the left of where you get the Bombs. Regardless of if it's glowing green or red there's no way out of Doom - in the top half where you fight the doppleganger, the exit to the surface is collapsed but you can still access the Grail point and hence softlock yourself if you're dumb enough to save, and in the bottom half that drops you in the lava pit, the exit to the surface in the room where you get one of the Skulls is collapsed. Since they seem to be removing a bunch of the possible softlocks in patches it makes me think they forgot to catch this one.

Rumination related to near endgame: at least in the English-speaking world, the conditions to trigger Alsedana's death and hence get the Mulana Talisman to finish the game are very unclear. I have a hardmode save at 11 hours in that I am doing One Finger on and Xelpud's dialogue that indicates that Alsedana "ain't looking too well" has triggered and the save has: all but Hel down, only 1 skull collected (from Ratatoskr's room in Immortal Battlefield since it is a titanic pain in the rear end to collect it after you drop the floor to get to the Lamp of Time if you forget), no Miasma absorbed (this playthrough was started before they changed it so you have to absorb at least one to move the Corridor, natch), 9 of the 10 Mantras collected (only missing Night since I haven't gone up to Nibiru yet), basically only one or two Kosugi Research Journals (can't check, at work), and haven't picked up some of the boss drops due to blazing through. Nope, he's still alive.

On my first playthrough he died shortly after collecting the Lamp of Time with only Surtr and Hel still up. This one is pretty obscure, to be sure.

edit after I got home: :laffo: I actually haven't killed Anu nor Aten-Ra on this save yet in addition to ___Hel___. That miiiiiiiiiiiiight be the reason.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 15, 2019

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For your last rumination, my guess is that plot progress may run on an invisible "points" counter similar to what LM1 used to determine Xelpud and Mulbruk's generic/repeating dialogue (and three emails). Except this time actually triggering meaningful gameplay.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have absolutely no clue what triggers the funeral. All I know is that I had absolutely nowhere to go, but I recognized the cursed treasure chests from LM1, so I bit the bullet and looked up where you could get the talisman. No clue. I literally ran out of things to do that might've triggered it.

Then came the first patch.

And IMMEDIATELY upon launching the game, I got the notification for the funeral.

So it might just be tied to various bosses/skulls, and bugged to an uncertain degree on top of that. Who knows.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If increasing enemy spawn density is any indicator of that same behind-the-scenes game progress tracker, skulls actually contribute quite substantially to that. So if Navash has been avoiding picking them up and is only at 1/12, that's probably a contributor.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those special items you pick up (not main or sub weapons) brings you closer to several tiers of enemy spawns. If you summon a boss by destroying an ankh, you lose that point. Pretty sure it won't remove the new spawns if you go below that flag.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Vil posted:

If increasing enemy spawn density is any indicator of that same behind-the-scenes game progress tracker, skulls actually contribute quite substantially to that. So if Navash has been avoiding picking them up and is only at 1/12, that's probably a contributor.

What do you mean by summoning a boss by destroying the ankh? Is there another method of starting a boss fight other than using an anhk jewel?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

HELL TEMPLE 2.0 WHERE

BTW we backers got an update mail recently from the team stating that their distributor for the console version in Japan is going to be... Konami. :lol: Talk about full circle.

Vil posted:

Yeah I deliberately haven't been collecting skulls until I absolutely have to on this run just because of how much of a pain navigation is with more skulls.

Mercury_Storm posted:

What do you mean by summoning a boss by destroying the ankh? Is there another method of starting a boss fight other than using an anhk jewel?

I'm not sure what SCoffee means, because the ankh jewel is a subweapon in and of itself whose only use is to destroy ankhs. I'd think it would be weird for it to count towards the counter. I don't think having 99 shuriken counts at all towards game progress, for example.

Also holy crap ____Anu____ is a lot harder on hardmode when you're trying to do no-subweapons, in terms of just hitting the little poo poo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was watching a playthrough and noticed some changes to spiral hell I didn't know about, like how the valkyrie palette swaps there no longer have their attacks affected by the crucifix (which i always though was silly, you're guaranteed to have that item by spiral hell so these enemies just do nothing) and there's now a tiny little extra cutscene after the final boss. The game really is getting better and better for the console release, which is feeling more like the Real Release and the PC version was more like an early treat for backers. Which I don't really mind, I had been salivating for more mulana when the game came out and it was finished enough to enjoy.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

And some day, they may even give the giant sword in the ice giant shrine a purpose! :haw:

Definitely double-dipping on this game

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Aw yeah, I'm happy about that. It took a few tries to figure out how to dispatch 9th Child on Hard and a few near-misses. Tip for the wise: you can get in a lot of damage on it when he's throwing Anu gears around with the axe if you stand near the left side of the screen - it'll break its AI and most of the gears will roll in such a way as to not bounce back towards you.

Just need to finish up Encyclopedia Completionist and I'll finally have 100%'ed this game until when (if) we get Hell Temple 2.0.

On another note: just out of curiosity I went to go see if Deceased Crab was going to have a hilarious reaction to Spiral Hell being Hell Temple. Turns out he ragequit his playthrough 5 months ago because it just happened to intersect the period of time when you could softlock yourself in EP - Doom, he did indeed softlock himself, and he couldn't be bothered to go back one save and just replay the section. What a loving child.

Edit since I don't see this necessary to bump the thread just for this comment: I am sure glad this is one of the few Kickstarted games that's been drama-free, in light of all the recent fiascos with KS games ending up on EGS. this is the only game I've ever backed on KS

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE: I read out that he did eventually go back and finish his playthrough, but was such a baby about it that when he finished the game he did so in contemptuous silence. You suck, Crab. Work out your rage issues or something with a therapist because you clearly need to.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 24, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well here it is, finally: https://gematsu.com/2019/08/la-mulana-1-2-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-and-switch

It's... a collection of 1 & 2? Coming sometime next year?

This implicitly means La-Mulana 2 isn't getting a console release on its own at all, which is an odd choice. But it also means we should be getting the Vita version of 1 on some more platforms now!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Makes sense to bundle them together and expand the audience.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have never preordered a game so quickly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This collector's edition looks pretty alright! Not that I'll buy it, mind.
https://twitter.com/NISAinEurope/status/1167390662418939904?s=19

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I hope they fix the issue plaguing the music since the last PC patch. (if you're not aware something got screwed up with the sound renderer and all the music sounds wrong)

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
it would be a crime against humanity to have that horrible version of the music forever engraved into physical media for future generations to suffer when the patch servers no longer exist

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They're actively patching the console versions right now, so I'm sure they will.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Navaash posted:

I hope they fix the issue plaguing the music since the last PC patch. (if you're not aware something got screwed up with the sound renderer and all the music sounds wrong)

I thought it was a huge improvement :v

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I bough La-Mulana 2 at launch and it didn't run full speed on my laptop, looking getting it on Switch!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

not sure if most people like randomizers, but one exists for la mulana 2 now. its pretty insane to play through but doing everything in the wrong order in this game is kind of funny. https://github.com/Coookie93/LaMulana2Randomizer

i suggest using a tracker or something because remembering how to do what in vanilla la mulana 2 was hard enough

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, today is the day: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/LA-MULANA-2-1728715.html

la-mulanas 1 and 2 are on switch. and other consoles too?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Came out on the 17th in North America and nobody bothered to resurrect this thread lol

I bought La-Mulaba 2 day one, but I want to finish Switcher before I jump into it. Probably won't be posting here until I get stuck and need help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I just wanna know if the console release will finally give us the Hell Temple (La Mulana 1 end-game spoiler) equivalent for LM2.