Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm desperately trying to finish Octopath in time but I think I'm gonna need a few more days. Oh well this will keep despite my excitement making me wanna dive in right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've beaten 1 guardian and gotten 1 sigil and now I'm overwhelmed with choice

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just solved a puzzle (in the Dark Mausoleum) by getting mad and mashing buttons in frustration.

I didn't realize it was an evil lying tablet... but now it's dead and the chest is open.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Forer posted:

Jesus how do people deal with jormungandr I can't even comprehend how to hit him pretty much.

Idid most of my damage with flares. Spears are good too though. The most important thing is understanding his patterns as they're completely predictable. You have to be ready to jump over him and get damage in when you can. If you have enough health at the second cycle you can tank some hits and just keep shooting flares until he dies.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 2, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

e: ALSO how come I found a fairy early on in an early area, who then disappeared after a couple screens and I've never seen a fairy since? where did that trick go?

The fairies don't trust you yet. You need to talk to their royalty.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cyflan posted:

I hate to have to ask for help, but I just can't figure out where to find the Golden Key or Dinosaur Figure.

I've been searching for them for hours, I've gotten alot of other stuff as you can see:

All I really want is a hint as to what area they are in.

Really loving the game though! Too bad I'm a pretty bad note-taker.

You've already got the Golden Key

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So I'm 4 guardians down, and have done a lot of exploring with my new item seeking a 5th guardian. I have 3 areas that I feel like I was making a lot of progress on, but then I hit a wall. In each case I feel like I MIGHT have what I need to proceed if I could just figure out what I'm missing.

Ancient Chaos: I explored all over from the Taka Shrine entrance. I figured that I need to pray to Anu at the 3 separate shrines, but what I'm not sure on how I actually pray. There's also an involved puzzle about Yugas but I only have 2 clues for that so far, plus there's a pedestal for the storm vase, so I think it's the praying I'm supposed to be focusing on.

Dark Mausoleum: I was so sure I was on track with this one. I put in the leg work to solve the Dark Lord's Footprints puzzle and was rewarded with a room with a treasure chest and nothing I tried worked there. Then I went up and killed Ammit and got a cup I wasn't looking for and don't know how to use. I've got lots of clues about the pyramid, the pyramid crystal, and mantras, but I feel like I must be missing some part of putting it all together to proceed.

Heaven's Labyrinth: I made it in and up to the grail point, and have rotated the labyrinth wheel, but I haven't been able to figure out anywhere to go after that. The most progress I made was getting one door open on the upper floor that let me press a button that unlocked a chest, but I can't actually get into that room properly without falling down.

Any hints for any of these 3 would be welcome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Procrastine posted:

Ancient Chaos: Look at the prayer spots closer. Number 3 is easiest.

Dark Mausoleum: Go look for Ra. He doesn't stay in the Mausoleum only.

Heaven's Labyrinth: Certain rotations make pedestals appear in Typhon's room.

Ah thank you very much. Off to investigate.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Procrastine posted:

Ancient Chaos: Look at the prayer spots closer. Number 3 is easiest.

Followup, I very appreciate this hint I felt both dumb and smart once I figured it out.

This boss is hosed up tho

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Argona posted:

Could I get some help with the dark lord's footsteps puzzle?

ok, so I'm like 95% sure i have it right but the door isnt opening after i chant the mantras in order. The order I have is Heaven, Sun, Earth, Heaven, Fire. Is that... wrong?

You almost had it, but you screwed up the very last one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zereth posted:

Oh, yes, while I'm here, what do I need to do to fight Jorgumadr? I believe I triggered the ankh but I haven't actually seen it yet, but a tablet says I need the "golden key" and has an image of the pochette key on it so I think I'm not actually ready.

There's a tablet that tells you how to get that somewhere. The text is: one who can cling to walls can obtain the golden key.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zereth posted:

Yes, but that doesn't say anything about where I need to use the Grapple Claw.

Alright if you wanna know the area it's in the Frost Giant place.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nvm you probably already knew this

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Decided to put off the Ancient Chaos boss and tackle the labyrinth and boy am I glad I did.

I can kill those loving blue skeletons now!!!!!!!!!! Also increased my computer app capacity but the skeletons are the real prize here.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is the Dark Lord's footprints?

It's time to hit the pavement, gumshoe. For this one there's no substitute for good old fashioned detective work.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Quick question about the ice side of icefire treetop, just looking for a yes or no answer on this one because Im baffled by it
At the point where it connects to the battlefield, there are two ladders that lead to the area with the projector or whatever. I went up the one with the seal, and the only thing it did was lower the energy gate that... let me get to the next room I could already get to. Is there a point to this, or is just a weirdly useless "shortcut"?

I briefly thought it was an alternate path in case you didn't have the grapple claw, but you can't even get there without it, can you? So I have no idea

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I saw people less far than me mention two things I don't have. Where do you get the no slip boots and weapon fairy? I got the treasure fairy so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I'm basically looking for the next logical area to explore after Japan.

I have access to Dark Lord's Mausoleum (via Gate of Dead), Ancient chaos (via Japan) and Heavenly labyrinth (via Icefire treetops) and I'm sure all of these areas can be reached by Corridor of Blood as well.

I still haven't found or fought the boss of IB either so I think I will want to look for him.

You're gonna have a hard time with those latter two areas without an item you have to kill the IB boss to get. So I'd focus on finding him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

So, consensus on this vs. the first game? Worthy successor?

I certainly think so, but I've noticed some people be less pleased about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok I'm pretty sure that this is what's roadblocking me since I need to get into the Underworld and can't figure out anywhere else to look. Where is the Sea Mantra?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Shrine of the frost giant, at the top of the elevator where you fought a miniboss, breakable wall on the left is hinted at by a tablet somewhere

Oh my god this one wall was holding me back from two progression things I desperately needed. :negative: On the bright side I have max health now :toot:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I'd need about two more to get on level with the "push this way" door.

Are you suuuure about that?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TeaJay posted:

This is the situation I'm in.

I can only guess that in some other disc situation the left-side pillar might rise or something? But then the water level on Chaos room might also change.

Reset the puzzle and try to think about how you could get higher with just the two blocks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Underworld is a nightmare

And I'm not even sure i have everything I need to get through all the gates, but i keep dying before I can find out.

oh well nothing else for it but to keep try

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

there's like thirty enemies in this one room lol

This is the worst loving room god

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

Speaking of this, I killed the boss and opened the pit with the mantra, but I can't open the chest in the water. I can reach it and activated the switch but it just opened a wall to the side.

There's a very hard to see sigil in that wall.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think I probably am misunderstanding what I'm trying to do on my first trip to the Underworld.

I thought I needed to solve the 7 gate puzzle to get the shining scythe. But I'm making no progress there and can't find anything else productive. I found the first gate, but the second one is back on the side I started in and I can't figure out how to get back there. Can anyone give me a pointer to what my goal is and where I should be looking?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I'm stumped again.

After finding Anubis it was somewhat smooth sailing for a while. I solved the riddles, got the scythe, beat Surtr, and beat Vidofnir. I also saved Eurydice and went past her. But to my dismay after making all this Underworld progress I now was back to not knowing where to go. I've got the real entrance open, but I don't actually know how to get in there from Icefire. I'm not sure how to get past Garm or into Sakit's grave, and I think I might be missing mantras anyway since I've only got Heaven through Wind. I know I need to seal Rattatosk so I can fight his true form but I think I still have at least one of his illusions left to find.

Here's a picture of my inventory:

What's next?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Procrastine posted:

Hermod in Divine Fortress knows how to get past Garm.

Well drat so he does. I thought I'd gone through the glossary to check everyone connected with the Underworld but I must have missed him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Procrastine posted:

A tablet in Chamber of Spikes mentions Hermod has been to the Underworld before.

Yeah, and so does his glossary entry. I just meant I tried to go back and talk to everyone in my NPC list who had any kind of connection to the Underworld and somehow just missed his entry or something. Back on track now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dizz posted:

is the Pochette key even in Immortal Battlefield

No, It's not.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh god the hall of malice is a nightmare

I'm too tired for this poo poo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

I made it to japan town but couldn't figure out how to get the map but i did manage to kill the boss to get the egg and the twins to get the flare gun. I think i need 5 bosses to advance in ancient chaos don't i?

There's another way into Ancient Chaos in Taka Shrine

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

Stuck trying to get the Miracle Witch software - key fairy tagged a wall in Hall of Malice, but I can't do anything, I've tried both bombs and fire weapons and nothing works.
edit: Got it after reading the above post. Turns out the area where you can jump up is REALLY narrow and I completely failed to get into it earlier

Also, after beating Shrine of Frost Giants miniboss Fenrir, what am I supposed to do with the Mimir statue? I guess a mantra, but which area has a hint about which one?

Finally, if anyone has a full list of areas with ankh jewels in them, that would be nice.

How do you beat that miniboss? I still haven't worked that out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

Need an item that gives your weapon fire power

You need to beat Surtr

If you already have the required item and still can't beat him, You need to attack the dude inside his mouth, attack his big face to open his mouth up

Huh it never occurred to me that item would be used there too. I guess I should've tried it out. Thanks!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress this crab

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

There's a cheese strategy for it: Climb down the ladder to the left so you're near the top of the bottom screen. When you see the crab crouch, quickly climb up and hit his eyeball a few times. Staying on the bottom screen means the annoying bubbles won't spawn so you can easily climb up.

I ended up beating him using caltrops lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yay I solved the Brahma Puzzle!

I don't have to understand the star map right? Things will be on my minimap if I just go check each area?

Also I was really worried my first attempt because I couldn't turn the green light, but it was just a bug and it worked when I reloaded.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Yay I solved the Brahma Puzzle!

I don't have to understand the star map right? Things will be on my minimap if I just go check each area?

Also I was really worried my first attempt because I couldn't turn the green light, but it was just a bug and it worked when I reloaded.

E: Or maybe not. I see 1 of the two Crystal Skulls I need on my map in Ancient Chaos in a room I can't figure out how to enter. I don't see the other one on any of the maps and I don't think I see any indication of the remaining Mantras which is what I really need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Piss off the blue guardians.

Oh that helped with two things, nice.

Also I just lucked into the second to last Mantra, can't believe I never thought to check down that ladder, and that explains why it wasn't showing up on any maps! Now I just have to find the last one, but hopefully this one can help with something.