Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hello thread! I'd like to let everyone know that I'm a colossal dummy and I need help.

No, not where you think. Earlier. :(

I just got the Clay suit, Feather and Maat's Feather, and I discovered Heaven's Labyrinth, including the trick to rotate that area. But now, while I could progress in several places (such as fighting that Ra guy in Dark Lord's Mausoleum, or Daji for some sort of Egg, which I believe will trigger the Brahma puzzle in Ancient Chaos I keep reading clues for?), I've encountered two problems:

1. Glasya-Labolas. How the hell do you hurt that guy? I was able to hit him in the open mouth when he spawns copies, but after a while, he just... stops doing that attack. A solid seven minutes of the rush attack. What the hell?

2. Did I accidentally glitch into hard mode or something? Suddenly, there's a TON more enemies ever since I got the clay suit (and for some reason, a SECOND ankh spawned where I already fought Kujata?!). Old places now have the blue skeletons, too. Is this a normal thing that happens eventually? And no, I didn't start hard mode through the tablet in the tutorial area, every screen just started having more enemies once i killed Balor...

Please help meeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, good to know the game just naturally spawns more enemies once you have a lot of items, and I didn't unintentionally gently caress up my game.

Now I apparently just need to navigate around all the other things that can and WILL gently caress up my game. :stare: Okay, saying goodbye to Heaven's Labyrinth...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...ooookay. I think I'm officially stuck!

I couldn't really progress past Griffin, being currently glitched and all that, so I checked out the only place left: the Eternal Prison. Had to look up one of Anubis' trials (how the hell are you supposed to figure out the Mantra one?!), but hey. Got the Scythe, got access to Surtr, defeated Surtr - who was surprisingly fun, once you know how to game his AI...

...and now, I apparently need the fuckin' Mulana Talisman from the first game. The treasure chest is cursed, like in the first game.

What do I do? The only other things I got are 1) a treasure chest in a room called Buried Fortress, which I'm pretty sure is a storm vase or something, and which I can't reach, 2) the boss Fenrir, who is invincible with a blue glow, and 3) some chicken dragon in Icefire Treetop, who has the same blue invincibility.

Everything else, I believe, is something I'll need to activate later. Like the Brahma puzzle, or the seven gates in Eternal Prison (couldn't find any gates after the first one that don't kick you out).

I just want to steal Surtr's treasure you guys :(

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

how many guardians have you killed? Once you reach 5 you should receive a message from the email service that points you toward an important event.

Uuuuuuuh

I killed seven. These guys are dead now:

Fafnir
Vritra
Kujata
Jormungand
Anu
Aten-Ra
Surtr

I had the email app on all the time...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hurray, a patch...? Let's see, I didn't see any news so far.

I don't know how far from the end I am - seven major bosses so far -, but I think it's pretty alright. I'm one of those weird guys who actually likes the bosses - even absolute fuckers like Surtr and his instant death arena - for all that bullshit, I genuinely liked a boss based on CAREFUL positioning and attack baiting. Overall, it feels much more transparent too, and I like that there's more to do with NPCs this time around. Level design is okay - I'll have to see how it all stacks up in the end. I really like Valhalla, Immortal Battlefield, Gate of the Dead and Ancient Chaos, the latter especially for it's incredible music and how absurdly mean-spirited that whole area is. :haw:

gently caress blue skeletons and those enemies that wildly jump across the entire screen, though. Those... were a bad idea.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I feel like I'm getting quite close to the end of the Brahma puzzle, but SOMETING'S missing...

Okay, so I think I got ALL the tablets necessary for this.

I know I need the Ancient Battery and the Egg of Creation. Got both of 'em. The battery activated Brahma, but the Egg of Creation doesn't seem to do anything.

I managed to link each tablet to an age, from there to a metal (presumably the color that the face will have to be), and a symbol. When playing around with those three weird Yuga wheels, I noticed that the spikes popped up with a noticable delay for some ages. So I guess that's what the symbol of that particular wheel is associated with. That leads me to assume: Satya - Gold - Lotus, Treta - Silver - Sacred Text, Dvapara - Copper - Water Pot and, given that I didn't find a fourth wheel, Kali - Steel - ???. That means each age is also associated with two keywords from these: death, water, life, chaos, battle. Five keywords. I thought it might be mantras, but none of them are, and I'm missing only two, so that's not possible (even with second meanings). Unless water = sea? Eh. I'm also missing a fourth wheel; I know it has to be steel, but obviously I do not have keywords. I stumbled across the others when browsing random notes, so maybe another out-of-place artifact described on a tablet is the fourth one? Where the hell is that wheel??? I guess I'll just browse my notes for an artifact with exactly two suspicious keywords.

Now, the other part of the puzzle. I found five tablets where Brahma asks some other deity what creation is. I know where Chaos and Atum are (background of a room), dunno where the others are yet, though I guess Amenomiwhatever is presumably in the Japan shrine somewhere. But they didn't give any additional clues, or do anything at all (except for that one Heaven's Labyrinth puzzle with the angels and demons). I noticed that each text mentions a color: Odin is yellow, Chaos is purple, Atum is green, Abzu is - presumably - blue, Amenoblabla is red. That is, I'm not sure if Odin mentioned yellow, but the colors match up with the sigils, so I assumed Odin had to be the only color left :p

Now it seems obvious that each of the five keywords links up with one deity, thus one color. They pretty much mention it directly, so that was easy enough. Meaning: I've now got two colors + head color for each pedestal. I've also got number of ox hooves, but I have no idea what I need those for (alternative way of matching age to head color? WTF, why would you need that when the tablets spell it out??? Am I missing something here?).

How the hell do I enter a solution? I can only switch faces and place one weight each per age. I only get skulls. Egg of Creation does nothing, neither do any random mantras (not that I have any clues for that anyway).

And that's what I got. I'm pretty sure I have a solution, but no way of entering it. I'm so loving close, I didn't look up anything yet, it's MADDENING AAAAARGH

I'm 100% sure it's got something to do with the Egg of Creation. It's mentioned as part of the puzzle, yet I found nowhere to use it. Do I have to hunt down the "Brahma asks" tablets and rub it against them or something? :(

Torquemadras fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 18, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You are very, very close to the answer. You have all the information you need, if your quote is any indication. You just need to put one more thing together...

You've almost got it...

...MOTHERFUCKER

The "motherfucker" referring to me, of course. I went over to Chaos, because that's the one where I knew right away where the statue is, and BAM, a purple light flying off. I didn't check yet what it did, but the color matches the puzzle, so I guess I'm gonna hunt down all the statues! My assumption would be Amenosomething = Takamagahara Shrine, Abzu = Ancient Chaos, Odin = Valhalla (unless it's Ymir, then... either Mausoleum of Giants or the Frost Giant Shrine). Oh well. Maybe the lights will add two additional color thingies in the Brahma room?

Oh, and I also found the fourth symbol. No wheel, but I found something about prayer beads from a tablet, which matches the pattern: nonsensical artifact that shows up nowhere else, and exactly two keywords that match the gods (fight and life - I guess you could call fight and battle the same, otherwise my whole system goes out the window).

Well. I'm glad I got as far as I did. :v:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

What removes the poison trap when you enter Anubis' map? A friend died instantly when he uncovered the room and I don't know what to tell him.

You need Maat's Feather from Dark Lord's Mausoleum. That's the only way to deactivate the trap and, more importantly, make that NPC talk to you.

You get this by solving the Dark Lord's Footprints puzzle. Remember, the puzzle has multiple solutions, due to the unique nature of the Gate of the Dead. Also, you need to find the miniboss Ammit in Dark Lord's Mausoleum first and kill it, AND FINALLY solve another puzzle in the actual room with the feather to open the treasure chest.

Basically, once you know what you need, the rest all falls into place - there's tablets for every step of the puzzle.
I got lucky, I never even got into the Underworld before I had this :haw:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I think Surtr was great fun, and I say that as someone who died against him 15+ times

Once you know how to manipulate his AI, it's a pretty fun fight where you have to pay close attention to positioning. I never had any problems with a total lack of platforms - at least for me, there was at least one present after every punch, and more than one to dodge his normal hand swipes and fire snot.

Also, best weapon for that is axe, since it doesn't hit the ground and can hit Surtr's head without jumping - find any tiny elevation whatsoever and you're free from the fire snot, you can spam the axe forever

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I can think of three important places where you probably haven't done everything you could...

Check the Footprints puzzle in Dark Lord's Museum again. There's more to it than "just" opening Aten-Ra's ankh room.

Try to get to the Underworld - and if you have been there already, try solving a certain someone's three puzzles.

There's likely some things you missed in Heaven's Labyrinth. You'll probably want the last weapon that's hidden there, and you'll DEFINITELY want to open a certain door to another area. Believe me. You'll want that door.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well! I got a bit distracted with the new Hollow Knight patch dropping a boss rush mode, but now I finally went ahead and finished the Hall of Malice.

In conclusion:
gently caress the Lemean Hydra, the Chimera and Karkinos. I hate these enemies that fill the entire loving screen with projectiles! At least the Chimera wasn't so bad once I stopped trying to hit the heads in melee - I just lobbed earth spears and bombs at 'em, with an occasional clay suit laser later on. I have absolutely no idea how you're supposed to beat Karkinos without time stop. Is it just endless caltrops, with a single lucky swipe at the eye occasionally? Aaaaargh.

I only found the Gauntlet when I had finished the whole hall (except for Echidna), so it could've been much easier too :(

Honorable mention goes to Nemean Lion and Cerberus, which I did not even bother with. I murdered them both with time stop, although I only got two of Cerberus' heads.

Also - Colchian Dragon, you adorable dork. Ridiculously easy to trap in a loop. You do you, goofy idiot :allears:

After all that, I was actually surprised how easy Echidna was. She was WAY less finicky to hit than Tiamat in La-Mulana 1, and with the Angel Shield you can pretty much block everything and keep maneuvring around her slow energy orbs. Once you get used to the fact that the fight will turn into a damage race eventually, it's pretty nice. The whip and the Gauntlet absolutely DESTROY her.

With that done, I went ahead and got the dissonance according to Sakit's last words. I guess all I can do now is kill Hraesvelgr; I encountered his final form, but he keeps killing me. That little fucker just flies too high and too fast for melee attacks, I guess I'll have to stock up on earth spears...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Might also be helpful to know:

There's actually TWO Eternal Prisons, one is called Doom, the other Gloom

Progress is in the one where you CAN'T reach the grail tablet, but you'll need both eventually, of course.

Have fun. That place is really, really nasty.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I got the words of fealty by spamming every valid solution to the Dark Footprints puzzle

I'm smert :smuggo:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Elman posted:

This game does seem to have a lot of bullshit instadeaths in general. For the most part I laughed, but sometimes they went overboard like when you open the path to Nibiru and the giant pyramid crushes you as you go up. Then you dodge that but the giant disc crushes you. Then you try a third time and finally make it to Nibiru only to asphyxiate instantly.

Not gonna lie, that part made me laugh, peak La-Mulana right there. Although I did see the sun disk coming. That stupid thing crashed down in LM1, after all...

Scalding Coffee posted:

Echidna does not care about the added i-frames app. I am getting stunlocked when taking swings at her. I'll have to cap it. This boss is too bullet hell and sometimes bypasses my shield like a glitch. Staying on the platforms is awfully hard, but attacking from below is a crapshoot.

I think it helps to see the Echidna fight as a damage race. You definitely WILL take damage from all the bullet hell attacks - the real goal isn't to avoid that, but to dodge the really damaging attacks: the slow big orbs and, of course, the giant laser attack later. The laser turrets are nice if you can dodge them, since they always fire in the same order (dodge sideways - dodge sideways - jump once), but when I had to choose between taking a swing at Echidna vs. not being able to dodge an upcoming laser, I always chose to attack. The Angel Shield also helps TONS in this fight: it doesn't help you against lasers and bullets all the time if the angle is from too high above, but it DOES mitigate a lot of hits from bullet hell, and the occasional ground-level laser you don't want to jump over. More importantly: the big energy orbs that Echidna summons with a swing of her arm. Those fuckers home in and they hurt like hell, but thankfully, they fly sideways most of the time: you can block them COMPLETELY with the shield, and literally jump through them. As long as none of them hit you diagonally (it helps to be off to the side of her arm when she does the attack), you can run through them, leaving you free to get in a couple of hits.

As for hitting Echidna: I actually found that attacking her from below was extremely reliable. You just shouldn't jump too far from her center, since her arms will damage you. The axe is excellent at catching her, but I had MUCH, MUCH MORE success with the whip, holy poo poo - that thing utterly murders her with the Gauntlet. I'm talking two, three hits per jump, here. You'll want to wait for pauses inbetween her attacks: right after an arm energy orb volley that you dodged/blocked, shortly before and right after a huge energy orb (it doesn't damage you while she's still charging) and, of course, right after her giant laser attack in the second phase. The turrets and the occasional sudden bullet hell attack WILL hit you, but you can tank that, it really doesn't do a lot of damage. Always prioritize jumping to hit Echidna over dodging turrets. When you think you can afford not to block for a while, get out the flares and spam those when a jump doesn't seem safe enough (don't forget the ground-height turret though).

The platforms felt more like traps to me than anything: you're just not mobile enough there to steer the homing projectiles away from Echidna's center, so that you can jump up to attack. They're good for perfectly aiming several subweapons, though. I mostly ignored them; only during her 2nd phase laser attack, I chilled there and comfortably lobbed earth spears and bombs at her. Of course, they're also the perfect height for the gun, but I didn't have to use it.

I like the Echidna fight. :(

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I legit do not know why so many people have trouble attacking Echidna from below :psyduck: Like, just spam that whip man, you can easily get in 2-3 hits per jump

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did you fight Echidna since the patch?

Jepp

Only fought Echidna after the patch that made the Griffin possible again

...unless there was another patch after that?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Blind Duke posted:

Abuto's statue was the second one I messed around with, nothing. Even Sakit's fist. Unless there is a specific bit of lore not in my notes of a specific place where this took place. Or I have to use a specific wine with them. Or maybe there's statues to these giants outside of the La-Mulana ruins.

The lore tablets there pretty much spell out directly what you have to do! Here's some progressively more revealing hints:

Read the very last tablet in the room, the most-right one.

The relevant statue is the only one on whose arm you can stand.

Even if not highlighted, keywords that are also mantra words are very important.

Get up on the arm of Ledo's statue, then chant the Sun mantra. That'll reveal the dissonance.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So the translation got some changes too, huh?

Just curious - did they also fix that one Anubis trial tablet that's outright missing another paragraph from the Japanese original?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hurray, got through the 7 Gates of Hell puzzle without any hints :toot:

Out of curiosity, how are you SUPPOSED to do it?

I pretty much figured out the order by process of inclusion: once I knew where the gate was and where it went, I noticed that most of them required items to enter or leave. I got the order of items taken by the gates from the guard, so I knew which gate had to come when. Obvious enough which item was which, reading the descriptions. Once I had beaten Hraesvelgr (an incredibly bullshit unfun fight - and with the newest patch, not even timestop works on him anymore?! Oh well, at least it stops projectiles), the order resulted naturally from that. Now I'm staring at Hel. Gonna take her down, whoooooo

What else is there? All the relevant gates had symbols, and I knew all taken items were associated with a name in Divine Fortress (Brynhild, etc.). Do the symbols match the names as well, somehow? Is there some tablet that tells you which symbol goes with which name, which links the symbol to an item, which tells you where in the order it is? I never found a link like that, but it worked out well enough once Hraesvelgr was dead and I had tried each gate once. I feel like I missed another clue to the puzzle that might, theoretically, allow you to solve it even without trying each gate at least once.

Also, I have an inkling that there might be multiple solutions to the puzzle, using the doppelganger's green gates. Since those are effectively shortcuts to the upper half of Gloom Eternal Prison...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Well, it took 25 hours, but this game has finally brought me here because I can't figure out how to acquire the feather.

I turned the Corridor of Blood so I could get into the Dark Star Lord's Mausoleum, and then crushed the frog miniboss using Mjolnir. That allowed me to drop onto the chest that a tablet has suggested contains the feather... but it won't open. The tablet underneath the chest says that it will "pass to those who can harness the power of storms, and clear the corridor." Pretty sure I just did those things. Am I missing something?

Oh, that's probably my favorite "little" puzzle in the game, mostly for the trademark La Mulana humor involved. :allears:

Hint:
There's a tablet in the same room as the chest that might tell you more.

Better hint:
Okay, there's a chance you actually died after doing exactly what the tablet said. Congratulations, if so. :haw: Now consider this: there's ANOTHER tablet out there that might explain why what happened happened, even though you followed the tablet exactly...

Ultra premium deluxe hint:
Another tablet warns you of a fake tablet that lies to you.

Outright solution:
That tablet in the chest room leads directly to your death when you follow it. That's because it's the fake tablet mentioned elsewhere. You're supposed to destroy that tablet, so hit it a few times - it's the only tablet in the game that can be destroyed. Once you do that, the chest opens, and you can drop down again from the frog miniboss.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Amppelix posted:

This is the worst. Puzzles should never be arranged in such a way that you can convince yourself you've tried a solution and it didn't work, except you were right and the game just didn't accept it.

Unfortunately, La Mulana (both games, really) has quite a few of these puzzles... As good as they are about laying out all the clues if you're just thorough enough, some just slip through. :shrug:

And about that puzzle specifically, which Tendales mentioned:

How are you even supposed to find that door normally?

As for me - I just stumbled across it due to sheer dumb luck. After beating Hel, I just wandered aimlessly through Hall of Malice, trying to find some glossary entries I might've missed. And I randomly jumped down the pit to the Chimera again - only this time, something hidden behind the wall reacted in some way. I later figured out that was the 9-seal door opening after Hel's death, but in that moment, that was the only clue I had that there was even anything there at all. From there, I just kinda figured there had to be SOMETHING nearby, and I discovered the breakable wall.

I have no idea how you're even supposed to find that normally! Is there any clue whatsoever? It's obvious enough you need another seal door to go to the spiral boat, but it could be literally anywhere. I guess you could find it by dragging a key fairy everywhere, but the only clues for key fairies I ever found all specifically referred to the Eternal Prison only. How are you supposed to do this???

Then again, I seem to have a talent in these games to haplessly stumble onto solutions before I even realize there's a puzzle, so I'm sure there's SOMETING out there...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Finished the game. Whooooooooooooo

45 hours. About on par with the first La-Mulana, timewise. Naturally, I immediately tried to see how speedrunners are doing with this game.

Like, holy poo poo
There's a CHILD VERSION of Echidna you can fight instead?!?! How the hell do you even get that fight? Is this just a thing you get when reaching the boss fight super-fast? WHAT. And here I was wondering what that one bit about Echidna "reverting herself to child form" was about.

Let's see how much of a completionist I want to be for this one.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Copycat Zero posted:

Speedrunners run the game on the unpatched version (the one I watched explicitly said he was running on 1.0.0.0, and I imagine most of the others are the same because a lot of the tricks they use have since been patched out). So it's possible that there isn't actually a child/young version of her in the game anymore, and they updated her art each time they made her harder in a patch. I could be wrong, though.

Nah, I don't think that's the case.

Here's the current world record on speedrun.com:

https://www.speedrun.com/La-Mulana_2/run/zp0178nm

It's glitchless, and on version 1.3.3.2. And sure enough, the runner gets the youngest child version of Echidna. It's where I learned about her other forms from!

Of course, this might just be weird rules of the site and an actual world record with glitches is even faster. Sooooooo the mystery still holds!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Procrastine posted:

I finally got around to finishing my no-subweapon hard mode run. It looks like this game doesn't have the varying credit sequence like the first game did where more people appear based on various conditions. All that's left for me to do is try to fight young Echidna then wait for Fish Temple DLC.

Wait what

DLC? I'm not finding anything here about DLC

Is this a cruel joke, forums poster Procrastine

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, maybe the fish people just were super nice and chill all the time, so they didn't have to be hellbanned to La-Mulana Prison

I'd love to see more locations, though. Gonna watch out for the console versions first, I guess.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Mr Snips posted:

I started playing this again after I got stuck a few months ago, and man Echidna is turning into a major roadblock for me. None of the other bosses have given me this much of a problem

Get the fast-swing thingamajig from the upper-left corner of the ice shrine area, if you haven't already. And in the Hall of Malice itself, you can buy the Angel Shield all the way to the right, behind where you fought the skull with the snake heads. The Angel Shield is extremely useful in blocking most of Echidna's attacks. Just keep in mind that her three turrets attack from above as well, bypassing the shield, but always in the same order. And you can't really dodge the bullet hell attack; just do your best blocking some, the fight will be something of a damage race.

It's honestly one of the most fun fights in the game, if you ask me

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Vil posted:

I discovered tonight that at some point between the game's release and my current replay, they patched Surtr so his floor is mildly annoying lava (not even poison lava), rather than insta-death bottomless pit. They did, admittedly, also patch Surtr so the fight's actual damage output is higher, but it's still a huge improvement over the fuckery that it used to have.

Cowards!

I did that fight meticulously avoiding knockback and everyone should suffer as I did

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gonna buy this again because, holy poo poo, gaming on the Switch rules. I'll demonstrate the underworld gate puzzle to people on the go and they'll call me insane.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have absolutely no clue what triggers the funeral. All I know is that I had absolutely nowhere to go, but I recognized the cursed treasure chests from LM1, so I bit the bullet and looked up where you could get the talisman. No clue. I literally ran out of things to do that might've triggered it.

Then came the first patch.

And IMMEDIATELY upon launching the game, I got the notification for the funeral.

So it might just be tied to various bosses/skulls, and bugged to an uncertain degree on top of that. Who knows.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

And some day, they may even give the giant sword in the ice giant shrine a purpose! :haw:

Definitely double-dipping on this game

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I love the Gate of the Dead for that exact reason. It's an absolute rear end of a level that goes above and beyond loving you over in increasingly convoluted ways.

I'm also that guy who loves that one screen in Ancient Chaos, just for how ridiculously hostile and evil to navigate it is

Hurt me La-Mulana

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Yessss. Time for more goofy obscure exploration shenanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Procrastine posted:

Hell yes Fish Temple is real
Excited for that Deep Fishman Lore

I'm this guy: