Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This comes out tomorrow?! How the hell did I not know this. La Mulana probably my most favorite game ever. I have been eagerly awaiting the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

poo poo, spoiler tags are already starting. Time to ditch the thread for a while.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Does anybody know what Death Village does?

Not yet in this game but I can speculate. In the original you could combine it with some other software for cool effects.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zereth posted:

I just beat that miniboss! Climb up the platforms opposite him, throw shuriken at his head, then when the big pink energy thing attack starts, drop down to the floor, then jump up on the lowest platform on the side you were just on, and jump towards the middle to get over his swoop attack. Climb up the other side and throw shuriken at his head, lather rinse repeat. If you try to get close enough to whip him, he'll go to the other side.

Has anybody found the scalesphere? Xelpud's been sending me emails acting like I should have it already.

The scalesphere is the reward for beating the Valhalla guardian.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Reminds me of trying to emulate the GBA. Someone port La Mulana to the GBA.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zereth posted:

I'm asking because based on La Mulana 1, there being a boss in the "Back Side" of an area is no indication that there wouldn't be one in the "front side".

You might be making assumptions on bad pretenses because in La Mulana 1 there is exactly one guardian for each front-back pair.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It gets even weirder though which now that I'm thinking about it throws even my assumptions of this game into question: (more LM1 spoilers) All the guardians are in the front side fields.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zereth posted:

Weren't all the Front and Back side areas the same size and shape on the map, too?

They weren't, but La Mulana had a very clever and also infuriating puzzle related to this: All the maps misled you from the fact that all the fields were actually 4x5 squares that wrap around (if exits allow).

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 31, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

Spoilers for an item in the lower-left of Immortal Battlefield:

:negative:

Is there a solution to this? I've solved the puzzle like you, but I don't see a way to it. Is it lost like the first game?

Edit: Nvm. I'm SUPER dumb. Carry on.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TeaJay posted:

I think I know where, and I bet I can use the caltrops?

e: Got it but now I get poisoned to death. I'm moving on!

The solution if you want it: You can use the rolling shuriken to depress the pressure plate and deactivate the gas trap.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Did you get the first one back from the guy who asks for it in the Gate of Illusion?

Funny thing about this, I left it with the guy but it was still in my inventory. I was able to show it to Xelpud and then go back and get it returned to me. The number I had didn't change though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm at 10 hours and I'm faffing about after beating the second guardian. I'm also just leaving the game running while I make maps and log the tablets. And standing around wondering what to do. It's kind of exhilarating really.

I needed to start making maps because when I pick up the game after a break I forget where anything is. Like I know I saw a thing I can do somewhere but I'll be damned if I can remember what field, let alone what room it was in.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

The worst part about this game is it’s impossible to work on the puzzles when I’m away from the game, so I just spend all day desperately trying to avoid clicking any of the spoilers in the thread.

I watched a certain Let's Play of the original La Mulana before I played it myself but I still felt it was very difficult regardless of my foreknowledge. I've been disciplined with not looking at spoilers so far and it is extremely satisfying to solve puzzles and beat the guardians.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just beat the third guardian, and drat this game opens up like crazy. I have like 7 places to hop around in. Glad the weekend is almost here.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This is an important question: Can I open these garb chests if I wasn't a backer?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nidhogg is a case study in remembering that you have sub weapons and they're pretty good. Toss 3 shuriken, jump over the wing attack, jump over the flyby, repeat.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dizz posted:

I really hate some of the bullshit instant death traps in this game. I don't mind joke ones that have a skeleton somewhere but i just jumped across a small gap and got crushed with no warning.

The worst part was I went through this part before to fight the hanged boss

This one got me too, and more than once because it seems like a great place to jump with no real warning of danger, that I know of.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So am I missing something stupidly obvious? Just beat the second guardian.

Got the Scalesphere, went in, picked up the dissonance that he dropped, now I can Caltrop my way into Anfwin... but if I do I instantly die to poison gas. Still have Niddhogg upstairs, but not really sure where to go next.)

There's another way to get to that area from the Roots.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Death Race 2000 posted:

What do I need to do to make the ankh for the 3rd guardian appear?

Kujata? After you get the boat, talk to the Seer in Annwfn again and she'll spawn it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's a trapped chest on the right side of Annwfn, under the boss room. Is there a way to open it? I'm leaning yes but I'm wracking my brain trying to figure it out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So I found a guy with a fairy captive. Where do I get the thing that lets me buy it from him?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Amppelix posted:

In fact I've got some other stuff I might as well ask:
Does Daji have a gimmick?
Is Jormungandr kinda supposed to be the fourth boss? I haven't seen a trace nor hint of the golden key for him, beyond needing the grapple claw apparently

You can spring the trap in Daji's room without activating the boss. Let the spike ceiling drop then fight him and he's cake.

The golden key is in the Frost Giant area. More specifically: In the hidden room to the right of the top of the elevator.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

f#a# posted:

I'm pretty early on but need some help. In Immortal Battlefield, I talked to Indra and he indicated that he made the ankh appear but I can't for the life of me find it. Apparently it's by the ship but I can't get there because it's blocked by a block with the area hexes on it. Is there some way of removing those that I'm missing?

Come up from the other side, like from Mulbruk's tent. You can get to the where you're going from the water below.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I cheesed Jormy with an attack fairy and I'm not ashamed of it.

I'm also glad I didn't soft lock the game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Perhaps someone cooler than me can point me in a direction to do stuff. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

My gear:

My mantras:

Some things I've been doing recently:

-Last guardian I beat was Jormungand.
-Explored the DLM and Heaven's Corridor a bit.
-Just got the moon mantra.
-Activated Typhon and killed a bunch of minibosses in HC.
-Found the twins chest which I think has the Cog in it, but I need some sort of vessel, which is in a chest in IB, which I can't see a way to get to.
-I'm missing one white tablet in GotD. Searched the place but I came up empty.
-Lots of NPCs speak of the Underworld but I have no idea where that might be.

I think that about covers it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Einwand posted:

Try looking at Heimdall's seal, maybe it'll remind you of something you've been using already?

Goddamn this game. Hiding in plain sight...

Thanks!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Perhaps someone can give me another hint re: the Underworld. I figured out that the Corridor of Blood is supposed to go there and its correct orientation, but there seems to be something in the way of the exit door?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What I did was to solve that puzzle was to take a picture of the same mural above Lemeza's tent in the Immortal Battlefield, which has the statues in place on it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Velius posted:

So I just possibly sequence broke the game a little. I’m the DLM in the Thunder Altar room there’s a chest that I opened some way I’ve forgotten but which was too high to reach. The tablet says I need to “clear the corridor”, but I just damage boosted up to the top and got the feather. So far I’ve gotten the corridor of blood open to the Eternal Prison but haven’t achieved anything there beyond dying since I can’t grail out. I’m guessing I was supposed to go to the corridor and just exit back to the corridor from the prison, but I haven’t tried that yet. Still I absolutely love sequence breaks so this was neat!

Yep! It's super easy to get that before you're 'supposed' to. What you're actually supposed to do is open the ceiling from the room immediately above it, which requires you to beat Jormungand first.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

While super easy to see in hindsight, the tablet in the same room as the Corridor of Blood shows a picture of someone holding up the Beherit to the corridor.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Elswyyr posted:

Are any of these things I can do now? If not, what's a good place to go spelunking next?

Elswyyr posted:

Getting the power of storms (mjolnir?) from somewhere, probably jormungandr. I've got his ankh jewel and the Pochette Key, but I haven't been able to manifest the ankh.

You're definitely ready to do this. You have all the ingredients to get the things to spawn the ankh. You're missing a key thing though... check around the Immortal Battlefield for things related to "Lokapala's protective diety", especially around chests you haven't opened.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Smornstein posted:

I'm supposed to get through the breakable wall in moon altar in the immortal battlefield from the treeptops right? Anyone mind pointing out how to reach the left ladder from the battlefield entrance to icefire treetops then?

Breakable wall from the room on the left.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I found a new way to die like a chump. Turns out if you're too jittery (or if you're using the crappy 360 dpad like I am), you can activate the elevator in the tutorial La Mulana area and have the door close on top of you, killing you instantly.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's even a tablet with a complete picture of the route of the primary way to get the feather, though that tablet is somewhat hidden.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

f#a# posted:

Five guardians down (Anu, Jorm, Kujata, Vritra, Fafnir) and I am seriously starting to wonder when I will find out how to access the Underworld. Any tips on how to learn the way?

Check out the wall behind Heimdall and see if you can apply it something you have probably been utilizing. Also remember the words of all the NPCs about what they say about getting in.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ah I see, you're missing a key convo from Izanagi in the Takamagahara Shrine. I've transcribed it below in case you don't want to hoof it all the way there, or don't want to scour the area:

"I went down to the Underworld to see my dead wife. However those who have fallen to the Underworld cannot attain life again.
Trembling with terror at the sight of my horribly decayed wife, I sealed off one of the entrances to the Underworld. To break the seal, chant the words of my mantras: Sun, moon, and sea.

Wait.
If you are to venture to the Underworld, find the mirror.
Within this mirror, made from polished bronze and infused with prayer, lies the power to illuminate the true path. This mirror will allow you to find the gate from which you can leave the underworld."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Here's a cool little thing I noticed: I think the cog of antiquity is supposed to be the Antikythera Mechanism.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah the game is definitely more hostile and that includes more instant death traps which I'm not a big fan of. It's definitely one of my primary criticisms of the game, which I still think is great overall.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Incidentally, now that I'm done with that bullshit, do I need the time lamp for Anzu? If I do I guess it's time to start looking

Yes. Also gathering all the info you need to do this is quite extensive. It's a thorough puzzle imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Ok I think I'll stop playing for today but one more: I need to find the power of flame.

Earlier Frey said that he gave it to Gerd. Unfortunately, Gerd isn't saying anything other than repeating the corridor of blood lines ad nauseam. That's the only hint I can remember ever getting on the location of the power of flame, so I'm kinda boned here. Can I get Gerd to spill the beans for me? It probably involves some speaking to other NPCs, doesn't it. Or maybe I need to solve something with the corridor before she'll say anything else? Or is she not actually related at all?

I forget which tablet or person that tells you this but one of the two will tell you of where it is: Surtr has it.