Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Hello. I am 76 hours into this damned game that I Kickstarted on a completely blind playthrough (zero help from the thread) and I am 7 bosses in. The only help I've solicited is looking up real-world Wikipedia entries for clues but no explicit spoilers. I'm loving it but the puzzles have been kicking my rear end and I'm wondering if I'm being blocked by bugs.

I'm going to ask some questions and I just want to know by PM whether or not I need to do something different or if I'm genuinely bugged. I've already had a semi-progress block lifted by one patch - being unable to get the Perfume because Chimera was infinitely respawning.

My remaining bosses are Surtr, Hel, and the final boss. I have every usable item, most of the toggle items save for two, and all but 2-3 of the key items, one being the Light Scythe, which is blocking my progression because I can't get to the Surtr fight without it. I know it's in the Underworld but I've been ripping the place up and down.

I've found Anubis but he's blathering about no proof of judgement and I know Osiris is down there but he's presumably beyond the same mound where Sakit is and I have no idea how to destroy the stone statue of the invincible chickenfucker that's blocking the way.

I've also figured out that I need to seal Ratatoskr but that I have to trace its path and I've determined that it goes through chickenfucker's room which I still can't go through in that direction. I can pop out from Eternal Prison Gloom into that room, of course. Furthermore, I noticed there's a door in the tablet image in real Ratatoskr's room in Eternal Prison Doom, but it's not physically there, and I suspect I need to destroy real Ratatoskr to force it to appear, but that again ties into the problem above.

I have all of the software except Miracle Witch. I know exactly what room it's in and I've found the obscured ladder but there's a block stopping me from getting up there and as much as I swing the whip or axe I can't get it to break. I've tried bringing a weapon fairy to beat on it but it stood around and didn't do anything. I've even tried throwing bombs all over the place and it won't shatter.

I already found all 12 Skulls and already unlocked the Corridor of Blood locks that are needed to presumably solve the final puzzle. I also have all 10 Mantras and it's hilarious that you can save yourself from the instakill by quickly switching to filled Cup of Soma because it's just damage and not a crush kill.

So. Just by PMs, no spoilers please, just tell me if I'm either glitched or if I just missed something, because I don't feel I'm anywhere close to getting the Surtr fight started.

edit: Great, not glitched. Gotta keep sleuthing!

Navaash fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Update: 94 hours in. Still spoiler free, finally burst through after realizing I had to get rid of all my money and pillars to get the judgment feather. Took a little bit to figure out the riddles but eventually got the scythe.

Surtr is a hilarously awful fight. You're supposed to be able to do this EARLIER??? Fortunately I was loaded to the gills and just DPSed him down with my mega whip. I can't imagine doing this fight as the 4th or 5th boss, holy moly.

I felt pumped when I solved the Brahma puzzle, until I crossreferenced the maps and realized it was refering to the skulls and mantras - which I already all had. Looooooooool I have played this in the most roundabout way.

Finally on Hel, which at least looks like a fun technical fight after the Surtr bullshit. Considering I'm trying to do the acheivement for killing all the main bosses with no subweapons on my first go, anyway, or I'd just shoot her.

The end is in sight!

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

(endgame) OH MY GOD THE FINAL STAGE IS HELL TEMPLE

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

COME ON.

(final boss) I got in my last hit to complete the no-subweapons achievement and... the boss flies off the screen at a hilariously odd vector, the game gives the boss kill slash, then... nothing.

No menus, no control (I was half-expecting a fakeout after Hel), waited 2 minutes and the game just didn't give me back control and I had to alt-F4 out.

drat IT. At least I know I'll be able to repeat this but gently caress off!

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

FINALLY! And successfully got the achievement to boot.

This is what order I ended up doing the bosses in and with what playtime:

1) ___Fafnir___ 00:29:16
2) ___Vritra___ 02:04:21
3) ___Kujata___ 20:21:21
4) ____Anu_____ 28:43:05
5) __Aten-Ra___ 34:10:54
6) Jormungandr 46:23:52
7) __Echidna___ 51:53:32
8) ___Surtr____ 75:35:59
9) ____Hel_____ 76:25:16
10) _9th Child_ 85:27:45

Yes, I ended up playing over half my recorded playtime WITHOUT the Feather. When you're playing with absolutely 0 hints and recording everything yourself, sometimes you can just go batty and miss things, and I might have just done the maximum amount of exploration possible without picking the drat thing up. I had the Pochette Key for the longest time, just going to myself "how in the gently caress do you get the ankh to appear??!?!" and stumbled onto the solution to the Dinosaur Figurine nearly by accident.

Part of the reason I got stuck for so long between Echidna and Surtr was having a genuinely hard time with the Feather puzzle since I didn't have to use the idiot in Ancient Chaos to drain my gold for the Styx puzzle. I came in with exactly 401 gold, bought the Key Fairy, then went up to pay the toll - but this then caused me to not realize about the bombs, and it took a while longer before I remembered I could quickly cycle fairies the same as the original game. Once I did that, things went more quickly.

I am pretty proud of myself that I scaled the Ziggurat of Destiny without the double jump to get to and kill Anu, though.

Final thoughts. First, I don't know what the hell was up but this game was one of the crashiest I've played in a while. My Crashes folder, to wit:

4 crashes were kernelbase.dll, which was basically my computer saying "hey you can't be watching video on your other monitor while you play this game", which is absolutely bizarre (I had the EXACT SAME issue with the first game, and that was with a different graphics card, so I don't even know what the gently caress. 9 crashes were mono.dll (sound), 2 were unityplayer.dll (I had one particularly bizarre crash where everything suddenly stopped on screen as if I'd Lamped but with no item usage, and then a few seconds later boom crash. Nothing serious enough to take down my system but I wish I knew what coding practices lead to this because oy vey. Most of the time though the game wouldn't crash more than twice in a row (usually but not always on startup) and then I could play for a while unmolested.

Second, the music is loving tremendous. My favorite tracks from the game are In Yggdrasil, Sword of Asgard, Closed Nidavellir, Insane Sun, Muspell and Niflheim, False Ruler, and The End.

None of the instant kill traps pissed me off. I actually laughed pretty hard at them, especially Glasya-Abolas's trap, which takes your knowledge of the same trap in LM and uses it against you, and the "look to the sky" trap near the double jump feather.

Doing the achievement, bosswise, I didn't use shields on any of my kills. Fafnir wasn't that hard. Vritra with only 64 health and the whip was a challenge, but this fight made me appreciate the game's much better air control physics. Kujata was damned hard because I hadn't found the axe. Anu and Aten-Ra were easy. Jormungandr, once I got the pattern down, was a good fight and I accidentally jumped over him, not realizing that the game was trying to sucker trap you into Palenque'ing him. Echidna was fairly challenging - to minimize the damage I took, I would get shot by a laser if I had to because a laser hit with the vest only did 2 damage, compared to like 10 if I was getting hit with machine gun spam. Surtr was bullshit but at that point I could just straight up race him to 0, and was happy that killing him didn't require you to be over a platform. Hel was a very technical fight, clinging to the walls and looking for a safe opening since the last phase you couldn't really control for the spear so just wanted to be as high HP as possible before getting to it. Finally, 9th child, phase 3 is some poo poo but I eventually found a rhythm for it. Also helped to anticipate when it would move to the Aten-Ra pattern and just turbo-whip it so it wouldn't drop bird on your head. As mentioned above it bugged out the first time I got it but the second time it worked as planned.

Surprised you weren't given an escape timer. Also no Spring in the Sky! It's marked on the enhanced map and the other old areas eventually opened so I was wondering for much of the game when I was going to get access to it.

Is this a better game than the original? Debatable, but at $45 (how much I paid to Kickstart it back in '14, and I wish I'd been able to give more) I think I got well more than my money's worth.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Verviticus posted:

i feel really dumb asking this, but how do i access the hot spring in ancient chaos?

From the entrance from Takamagahara Shrine, it's the screen directly below. There's a hole in the lower right corner that you may have missed. Note that it drops into a poison lava pit at first so either equip the Clay Doll Statue or mash the swim button very quickly. Be careful swinging your weapon around there as well.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Polio Vax Scene posted:

talk to his jailor

Also make sure you've defeated Surtr and Vidofnir or else a giant stone chicken will be in the way and you won't be able to access it. It's not clear from your post but take it from me, the guy that killed Surtr next-to-last in the sequence.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay, Ammit has way too much health. Two full clips of the pistol and I was still chucking spears. what a jerk.

Anyways, need some help in the Underworld. I've actually made a quite ia bit of progress. Picked up the battery, put it in the twins statue at HL, buuut can't get to the chest, I figure that's a problem I can't solve yet. Weighed myself, got Maat's Feather... and now where the heck is Anubis, so I can get to Osiris and actually make some progress down here? Please just spoil it for me.

Enter Eternal Prison - Doom from the corridor. Drop down one screen, move right one screen. Break the wall in the upper-right corner of the room with the Yuga wheel (you can jump from below or drop from the screen above). Since you have the Feather you shouldn't need the Clay Doll Outfit.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Sockser posted:

I’ve hosed with every single statue and still nothing

...statues?

Are you talking about the Vidofnir statue, aka chickenfucker?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Amppelix posted:

In LM1, the guardians were always in the front side (yes yes, I know about that bit with Tiamat), so I was thinking about if some similar logic held for LM2.

And I think it does: All four trunk areas have bosses, and then there's one boss per branch.

Vritra for Divine Fortress/ Valhalla, Ra for Gate of the Dead/ Mausoleum, Anu for the Shrine/ Ancient Chaos, Echidna for the Labyrinth/ Hall of Malice, and Hel for Doom and Gloom, obviously. There might've been a tenth guardian in the Frost Giants' nonexistent counterpart, but alas, it's left out of the party.

If you think about it a little further, the bosses are indeed in the backsides. The Brahma map is explicit in spelling this out - aside from the trunk, the trunk specifically connects to the frontsides, the backsides connect to each other through the Corridor of Blood. Also, travel is consistent in that you go trunk <-> front <-> back <-> CoB but you can't directly go from the back to the trunk without warping.

The only place in the entire game that violates this logic is
the very last gate from Hall of Malice to the Spiral Boat, which is indeed a back -> trunk traversal. This was the very last puzzle that gave me trouble - from the Brahma map I had deduced that the way to the Spiral Boat was in Heaven's Labyrinth due to how the projections were overlapping, but scoured it for the good part of an hour unable to find a way through. I then physically drew the picture from the tablet and started hunting for rooms with long ladders, and the only room I could find with a long ladder was that pit room. The tablet had a drawing of a beast that doesn't exist in the actual room, though, so it threw me off for a bit. Eventually it dawned on me to haul a key fairy to the pit, so I did and lo and behold, when it found the wall I was happy about it, Earth Speared it down from the ladder, and made my way to the endgame.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Rather Watch Them posted:

That does beg the question: which side is the Frost Giants anyway? The "main" entrance is from Annwfn and it has a frontside Grail tablet, but it also has access to Valhalla AND the Corridor... Unless the Corridor-accessed area with the ice block boss is considered "backside". Did it cave in on itself?

It's both, but it's 95% frontside. The 5 screens are its own backside. Traversal from that frontside to the Valhalla backside and from the backside to other Corridor of Blood screens follow the rules I laid out in the post above.

The only one that's really weird per se aside from the aforementioned Halls of Malice to Immortal Battlefield rule violation is that while EP Gloom has a frontside tablet and is clearly shown as being frontside with the Brahma map it can't be warped to without Future Development Company loaded. However, my theory is that Hel is able to gently caress with the polarity to keep out casual intruders like Tiamat was able to with the Infinite/Dimensional Corridor.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Just kill Fenrir, he doesn't respawn. He apparently used to though before the current patch so that was bastardly.

Also there's an easier way to get down the tubes. Just count how many spikes are on the left of each shaft, use double jump so you have a perfect vertical fall, then swing left right after you pass the last set of spikes to grab the wall. It only took me a couple of tries and you're almost home free once you get past that room.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Yeah I came to post the same thing.

Even better pressing F12 pulled this up:

PANDA MODE :laffo:

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Nate RFB posted:

Do you know how to clear/hide that development console?

Just press F12 again.

It looks like it was quickly patched out though.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Miracle Witch doesn't gate anything. It's 100% possible to finish the game without it because you can manipulate the fairies appearing without software.

Mulbruk's hint about it making the "voices of giants" hearable in a combo is in relation to the NIGORO dev room in Icefire Treetop, not being able to talk to Sakit.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

On a lighter note I'm almost certain that the current WoW raid has a somewhat subtle La-Mulana reference to it:

Aside from the boss name (which most people think is a Danzig reference), the back wall of the boss room looks vaguely enough like a Clay Doll/Loakpala Soldier gate just enough that it seems more than coincidence.

Also the fact that you're raiding an extremely ancient ruin.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

We need a new thread title. Some off-the-cuff ideas:

La-Mulana 2 in Lumisa Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

La-Mulana 2: Ragnarok and Roll

La-Mulana 2: This is harsh. Evaluate me (throwback joke to the Demon's Souls thread)

La-Mulana 2: Wrath of the Black Mantra (NES game reference and joke about how chanting all 10 mantras without all the dissonance absorbed will knock you dead)

La-Mulana 2: Costumes no longer sear your brain

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Looks like a patch just dropped.

quote:

Hi All

Thank you for your constant support with La-Mulana 2.

We have just updated La-Mulana 2 to Ver. 1.5.5.2.

Bug Fixes
Fixed bug sometimes preventing the player from leaving the area after fighting the guardian "Hel".
Accelerated various processes.
Adjusted various types of game balance.
Enhanced rendering where it was lacking.
Added, edited, and adjusted text.
Various other small bug fixes, etc.

We hope that you continue to enjoy La-Mulana 2.

It looks like the removal of door in C-2 of EP Doom was not intended, so they put it back in to prevent a softlock state.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Another patch dropped yesterday.

The biggest change I noticed was there is no longer a ladder from the Hall of Malice ankh point to the cog room by default. You can make it appear by entering from Heaven's Labyrinth and dropping a weight on a new platform, though. Also four particular rooms in one area have Mulanese numbers that weren't there before, though admittedly this may not be new to this patch

I'm torn on the change because while it seems necessary to prevent a softlock condition for poorly-equipped players who activate the boss rush, save, then find themselves trapped because they can't warp out and don't have the skills to kill four minibosses, you have multiple save slots for a reason. Though it feels like the crab blocking the only way out in that case is way more of a damage sponge than it was before.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

^^ Not sure. This seems easy enough to test just by grinding gold in Roots for shurikens since Nidhogg's pattern is stupidly easy.

Couple of other observations in stuff that's changed.

Minor one: you can no longer manipulate the Corridor of Blood unless the Behelit has absorbed at least one Dissonance. This definitely was not the case in the launch version of the game and for a long while after that.

Very endgame, unsure if oversight: If you travel to EP Gloom after defeating the 9th Child, most of the doors to Doom are either closed or collapsed but they left one open in the room to the left of where you get the Bombs. Regardless of if it's glowing green or red there's no way out of Doom - in the top half where you fight the doppleganger, the exit to the surface is collapsed but you can still access the Grail point and hence softlock yourself if you're dumb enough to save, and in the bottom half that drops you in the lava pit, the exit to the surface in the room where you get one of the Skulls is collapsed. Since they seem to be removing a bunch of the possible softlocks in patches it makes me think they forgot to catch this one.

Rumination related to near endgame: at least in the English-speaking world, the conditions to trigger Alsedana's death and hence get the Mulana Talisman to finish the game are very unclear. I have a hardmode save at 11 hours in that I am doing One Finger on and Xelpud's dialogue that indicates that Alsedana "ain't looking too well" has triggered and the save has: all but Hel down, only 1 skull collected (from Ratatoskr's room in Immortal Battlefield since it is a titanic pain in the rear end to collect it after you drop the floor to get to the Lamp of Time if you forget), no Miasma absorbed (this playthrough was started before they changed it so you have to absorb at least one to move the Corridor, natch), 9 of the 10 Mantras collected (only missing Night since I haven't gone up to Nibiru yet), basically only one or two Kosugi Research Journals (can't check, at work), and haven't picked up some of the boss drops due to blazing through. Nope, he's still alive.

On my first playthrough he died shortly after collecting the Lamp of Time with only Surtr and Hel still up. This one is pretty obscure, to be sure.

edit after I got home: :laffo: I actually haven't killed Anu nor Aten-Ra on this save yet in addition to ___Hel___. That miiiiiiiiiiiiight be the reason.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 15, 2019

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

HELL TEMPLE 2.0 WHERE

BTW we backers got an update mail recently from the team stating that their distributor for the console version in Japan is going to be... Konami. :lol: Talk about full circle.

Vil posted:

If increasing enemy spawn density is any indicator of that same behind-the-scenes game progress tracker, skulls actually contribute quite substantially to that. So if Navash has been avoiding picking them up and is only at 1/12, that's probably a contributor.

Yeah I deliberately haven't been collecting skulls until I absolutely have to on this run just because of how much of a pain navigation is with more skulls.

Mercury_Storm posted:

What do you mean by summoning a boss by destroying the ankh? Is there another method of starting a boss fight other than using an anhk jewel?

I'm not sure what SCoffee means, because the ankh jewel is a subweapon in and of itself whose only use is to destroy ankhs. I'd think it would be weird for it to count towards the counter. I don't think having 99 shuriken counts at all towards game progress, for example.

Also holy crap ____Anu____ is a lot harder on hardmode when you're trying to do no-subweapons, in terms of just hitting the little poo poo.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Aw yeah, I'm happy about that. It took a few tries to figure out how to dispatch 9th Child on Hard and a few near-misses. Tip for the wise: you can get in a lot of damage on it when he's throwing Anu gears around with the axe if you stand near the left side of the screen - it'll break its AI and most of the gears will roll in such a way as to not bounce back towards you.

Just need to finish up Encyclopedia Completionist and I'll finally have 100%'ed this game until when (if) we get Hell Temple 2.0.

On another note: just out of curiosity I went to go see if Deceased Crab was going to have a hilarious reaction to Spiral Hell being Hell Temple. Turns out he ragequit his playthrough 5 months ago because it just happened to intersect the period of time when you could softlock yourself in EP - Doom, he did indeed softlock himself, and he couldn't be bothered to go back one save and just replay the section. What a loving child.

Edit since I don't see this necessary to bump the thread just for this comment: I am sure glad this is one of the few Kickstarted games that's been drama-free, in light of all the recent fiascos with KS games ending up on EGS. this is the only game I've ever backed on KS

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE: I read out that he did eventually go back and finish his playthrough, but was such a baby about it that when he finished the game he did so in contemptuous silence. You suck, Crab. Work out your rage issues or something with a therapist because you clearly need to.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 24, 2021

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I hope they fix the issue plaguing the music since the last PC patch. (if you're not aware something got screwed up with the sound renderer and all the music sounds wrong)

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There's a lot of areas you just straight up need to kill guardians to enter, and after killing guardians, more enemies show up to clog up the screen.

This is tied to collecting the skulls and not anything else. Because of this, except for the skull held by Ratatoskr in the Immortal Battlefield, because it is an absolute rear end in a top hat to attempt to grab if you lower the platform in that room without getting it, don't take ANY of the skulls until you can't make any more forward progress in the game. The game gives you no indication this is the case, by the way. You will eventually have to grab them though since the Alsedana death flag and hence the Mulana Talisman is tied to the skulls in some manner. It's 100% possible to kill all of the guardians except for Hel and him not die if you've collected everything else that is possible to pick up to that point but only one Skull.

On another note: FIX THE loving MUSIC ALREADY. gently caress, I hope this wasn't something mandated by Konami after they took up the publishing duties in Japan.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Amppelix posted:

What's wrong with the music???

Go listen to the OST on Youtube (which should still be the unaltered tracks). Then compare to how the sound renderer is playing them in game currently.

It was fine until the most recent patch (which was July 22 last year, so the problem has been around for drat near 9 months), but it's off in ways that are unpleasant to people like me that think very highly of the soundtrack. I'm hoping that it's an unforeseen glitch in the sound renderer that was introduced in that build that went unnoticed and that they'll wrap back around to fixing it someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is every special item (not main/sub weapons) including those skulls. Said item also costs 4 points each. It works by using a points based system using your collection, whether your collection meets a minimum points count depending on the room, and if the room has multiple tiers to spawn different sets of enemies. On one of my multiple saves, I collected two special items and more enemies appeared. Using a previous save, I broke an ankh and collected those two items again and no extra enemies appeared.

:hmbol: Holy hell that's confusing. On my hard mode one finger playthrough I deliberately didn't collect any skulls until the end so I thought what I thought was the case.