Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

After four seasons of BCS lost to the bad seasons of Game of Thrones I realized the Emmys are an even bigger joke than the Oscars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
No directing noms either, also they nominated Esposito but not Dalton. Absolute garbage.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's a sick, sad world out there, and we all have to live in it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

No directing noms either, also they nominated Esposito but not Dalton. Absolute garbage.

Is it possible they’re saving the awards for the last season or something? I know that’s not how it’s ‘supposed’ to work, but maybe AMC will is a bigger awards push towards the end?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Will AMC even be in business come next year

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
AMC the channel is separate from AMC the American cinema company (with like a single location north of the border in Toronto I think) so yeah, they'll be fine with TV ratings and ad-buys getting quite the boost since March. No idea if their Shudder streaming service is super profitable but it's probably doing better than Quibi!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XUso5-uMl4

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 1, 2020

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Agent Escalus posted:

AMC the channel is separate from AMC the American cinema company (with like a single location north of the border in Toronto I think) so yeah, they'll be fine with TV ratings and ad-buys getting quite the boost since March. No idea if their Shudder streaming service is super profitable but it's probably doing better than Quibi!

Isn't that the opposite of what's been happening though? I think TV channels and newspapers are having trouble right now because the financial downturn brought on by the Coronavirus has caused companies to slash down on the amount of cash they were planning to spend on advertising.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cloudchamber posted:

Isn't that the opposite of what's been happening though? I think TV channels and newspapers are having trouble right now because the financial downturn brought on by the Coronavirus has caused companies to slash down on the amount of cash they were planning to spend on advertising.

Journalism outfits have been bleeding since 2004 and really turned for the worse around 2009; the rise of VC companies acquiring journalism outlets then bleeding them dry has only made things worse.

With national TV, no, generally advertisers are locked into long-term deals. Local TV affiliates are hurting, though, although there's been about a 25 percent increase in ad spends over the past few months, but for the most part after primetime hours and affiliates are just doing their syndication programming, you'll see the same four commercials three times in an hour.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Where was the tier list of the spanish speakers in this show? Wasn't it posted here

vvvvvv hahahaha

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 18, 2020

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

several weeks late but i just realised Saul was saying "an amigo de cartel" when he got surrounded by those guys, and not "enemigo de cartel"

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Milo and POTUS posted:

Where was the tier list of the spanish speakers in this show? Wasn't it posted here

I don’t know of a prior list, but from my point of view:

A: Lalo and Nacho’s father are the only characters across the entire combined series that I can think of who both speak Spanish fluently and with the correct accent. It’s the main reason I like Nacho’s father.

B: I think Bolsa’s is fluent, but I cannot place his accent for the life of me. It sounds really off to me, but at least he speaks at a decent speed.

C: Tuco and Nacho. They’re obviously not fluent, and they speak very slowly. I think this actually fits Nacho’s character just fine, both in terms of temperament and background, but it’s really jarring when Tuco slows down in Spanish.

D: nobody fits here. when it gets bad, it gets REALLY BAD.

F: Jimmy, Eladio, Gus, & Hector. Jimmy doesn’t really speak believably bad Spanish, but he is at least supposed to be speaking it poorly, so it’s not that upsetting.

Eladio’s Spanish is hilarious. It’s incredibly slow and spoken with what I think is a very thick Cuban accent? Maybe this is competent Cuban Spanish, but it is impossible to take him seriously as a Mexican drug lord. He also has a higher prevalence of straight-up nonsensical lines than anyone else.

Gus and Hector are at the bottom of the bottom. I don’t know what to say about it. It’s not Spanish.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

To be fair to Hector, his character was mute when they cast him and they hadn't planned on a prequel. But Gus is supposed to be a Chilean so they should have tried to find a South American actor.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Someone pointed out that coatis live in every South American country except Chile.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is from a little while ago, but Peter Gould teases fans that they should keep their eye on the Zafir Anejo bottle stopper

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Chamale posted:

To be fair to Hector, his character was mute when they cast him and they hadn't planned on a prequel. But Gus is supposed to be a Chilean so they should have tried to find a South American actor.

I suspect Gus is another character who was cast before it transpired what a big deal they were going to be.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is from a little while ago, but Peter Gould teases fans that they should keep their eye on the Zafir Anejo bottle stopper

Prediction - Kim stabs Howard in the neck with the bottle stopper, gets life in prison.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

she goes back and grabs the bottle stopper from her desk when she leaves the firm. she's going to back to grab Gene when she finds out about the trouble he's in as Gene.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Saul remembers Zihuatanejo and goes to the old tree that him and kim used to go to

He gets enough cash and meets kim on the beach in mexico and they embrace before walking to their new to them boat they are fixing up

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always assumed Eladio wasn’t meant to be read as Hispanic at all. Hector calls him “the winking Greek,” after all. How exactly he ended up running a Mexican cartel under the name Eladio Vuente is a bit harder to square, but hey.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Elaido's actor was born in Havana but they moved here when he was very young. Hector and Elaido were both in Scarface which is funny since Hector's actor is Jewish.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I always assumed Eladio wasn’t meant to be read as Hispanic at all. Hector calls him “the winking Greek,” after all. How exactly he ended up running a Mexican cartel under the name Eladio Vuente is a bit harder to square, but hey.

Well, ain't that just The American Dream, eh? He wanted to become a drug lord in Mexico, and by golly, 'twas all just good old bootstraps and elbow grease and ultra-violence!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

Saul remembers Zihuatanejo and goes to the old tree that him and kim used to go to

He gets enough cash and meets kim on the beach in mexico and they embrace before walking to their new to them boat they are fixing up

And the last half of the final episode is rerun in perpetuity during the day on weekends, only on TBS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin, or get busy dyin.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ You're goddamn right :hmmyes:

moist turtleneck posted:

code:
				GENE (V.O.) 
		I find I am so excited I can barely 
		sit still or hold a thought in my 
		head. I think it is the excitement 
		only a free man can feel, a free 
		man at the start of a long journey 
		whose conclusion is uncertain... 
		297 THE BUS 297

ROARS past camera, dwindling to a mere speck on the horizon. 

RED (V.O.) 
		I hope I can make it across the 
		border. I hope to see my friend 
		and shake her hand. I hope the 
		Pacific is as blue as it has been 
		in my dreams. 
			(beat) 
		I hope. 
Only thing that could make Shawshank better would have been keeping the original King ending, threads the needle between 'satisfying open ended' and 'too vague open ended' IMO.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^^ You're goddamn right :hmmyes:

code:
				GENE (V.O.) 
		I find I am so excited I can barely 
		sit still or hold a thought in my 
		head. I think it is the excitement 
		only a free man can feel, a free 
		man at the start of a long journey 
		whose conclusion is uncertain... 
		297 THE BUS 297

ROARS past camera, dwindling to a mere speck on the horizon. 

RED (V.O.) 
		I hope I can make it across the 
		border. I hope to see my friend 
		and shake her hand. I hope the 
		Pacific is as blue as it has been 
		in my dreams. 
			(beat) 
		I hope. 
Only thing that could make Shawshank better would have been keeping the original King ending, threads the needle between 'satisfying open ended' and 'too vague open ended' IMO.

The original stephen king ending being better? That's a first.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

... So are they going to be filming season 6 soon, or.. they’re just writing/outlining currently?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They have Johnathan banks in a bubble and in cryogenic stasis

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

... So are they going to be filming season 6 soon, or.. they’re just writing/outlining currently?

They're writing right now, and again, Peter Gould is hinting at something big...

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This guys BCS scene breakdowns are usually pretty good so I'm wondering if he's onto something here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKav4qRPjBk

tl;dw he proposes that there's something Jimmy and the audience doesn't know about Kim and his relationship.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

massive spider posted:

This guys BCS scene breakdowns are usually pretty good so I'm wondering if he's onto something here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKav4qRPjBk

tl;dw he proposes that there's something Jimmy and the audience doesn't know about Kim and his relationship.
I just rewatched the whole saga from Breaking Bad series one until "Something Unforgivable" (including El Camino) trying to find elements that point the way forward and I have to say none of Ological's 'flags' showed for me. In fact whether his whole thesis carries any weight whatsoever hinges on the question he first poses, "What is slipping Kimmy up to?". I'd answer that she's up to dunking Howie. I really don't see Jimmy being even collateral damage because there just isn't time for it. https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/better-call-saul-breaking-bad-timeline-explained/ By the start of Breaking Bad, four years hence, Jimmy is still (once again?) a lawyer. There are no circumstances where his automatic prosecution by defaulting under the DDP scheme would make this likely. And that's not considering the overwhelming evidence the Kim is passionately devoted to the deeply flawed JMM.

I kinda want some big surprises out of Season Six but there has to be a flow and a continuity to story arcs. Big bumps just won't have time to play out. There is so much territory to cover in one short/split season. The whole prequel has taken five seasons to grind through two years. Doing four years in one season? They will be flat out tying off loose ends. These are loose ends that they, to an extent, HAVE to tie off because they are running in to the established canon of BB. This is already problematic.

Jimmy - What moves his relationship with Francesca so far South? Especially regarding all of the sexual sleaze that has in no way been a part of Season 1-5 Jimmy. Which leads onto.

Kimmy - Clearly not together with Jimmy for BB (not mentioned/unseen in the background don't kinda work because of the nature of his exit. This is also a problem with the 3 pm birthday call foreshadowed in BCS). She has to be out of the picture. There's a strong case for her being out of New Mexico entirely (And even dead). The fallout from her vendetta against Howard would seem to be enough to cover all the necessary outcomes and still fill season six with drama. One of the dilemmas ahead for Kim is dealing with her direct involvement with the cartel through Lalo. That one could be sealed off with Lalo's death but that leads us to.

Lalo - I don't see any way for him to survive into the BB timeline. All of the subsequent BB cartel shenanigans can't move forward with Lalo sloshing around in Mexico. He pretty much has to die. How and who by? Leads us to.

Nacho (and his dad) - Is Nacho the Jessi Pinkman of BCS? Does he get to escape the cartel and the law and restart his life somewhere else? The main problem here, apart from Lalo, are the other two cousins. What possible circumstance has Nacho escape from Lalo and then survive the vengence of the murderous cousins for the next four of five years? When we leave season five of BCS Nacho is in deep poo poo with Lalo and the resolution of this is clearly a focus for the next season. Clearing this up while leaving the cousins available for BB is only one of the conundrums already facing the writing team (well assuming they don't take the Hector Salamanca approach).

The only other big screen time player is Mike. His time will be taken up with secret drug lab construction montages but he probably has a role to play in any of the other stories.

Apart from cameos by Walter White I hope they redux the Kettlemans post Pa Kettleman's short jail stay.

Prior to a this rewatch I would have unequivocally said that BCS is the best TV available. I'm still broadly of that view but I did find Season Three to be much weaker than I remembered it to be from several rewatches prior to this one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Along with wanting to see the general awesomeness of this show and how it might put a new lens on Breaking Bad, I'd love to see a highlight reel montage of Saul from Breaking Bad dealing with Walter and all the trouble he brought with him. Mixing in Breaking Bad clips along with seeing how Saul set up Brock to be poisoned and a few other clips of the other stuff Saul got up to during that time period would be great.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The last scene is huell getting skinny again because he's still waiting in that motel room

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What if BCS is actually a sequel to BB, not a prequel? I think they can make it work

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

What if BCS is actually a sequel to BB, not a prequel? I think they can make it work

Yeah, they could do, like, flash forwards to post Breaking BAd or something and make a whole plot out of that

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, they could do, like, flash forwards to post Breaking BAd or something and make a whole plot out of that

Nah, that's something they'd have to have been setting up since, like, the first episode of season 1. Way too late to start something like that now :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've been watching a lot of Seinfeld lately. A TON of BB/BCS actors were in it but none more prominently than....

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A RAGING antidentite.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jerry: "I think THIS guy got into the empire business for the JOKES!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/squatchland/status/1299953479251824640?s=21
"my DADDY and my MOMMY"