Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't remember this at all.

The flash forward scene with Saul in his office shredding papers after the Breaking Bad poo poo has hit the fan. He's paying off Francesca and gets her to confirm she'll take a call at a particular payphone on a particular day, which she reluctantly agrees to. From a shot of his drivers license in a different episode, industrious nerds deduced that it was his birthday. Connect "who else would he care so much about staying in contact with" to "why does the connection have to be so tenuous and anonymous" and you get Kim on the run, or perhaps intentionally distanced from Saul for safety reasons, checking in on a semi-regular basis for auditory hanky-panky with a side of empire management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Chadzok posted:

auditory hanky-panky

Is this code for learning how to mimic mike's voice

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ingmar terdman posted:

Is this code for learning how to mimic mike's voice

"If you could thrill me..."

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"If you could thrill me..."

Lol

I miss this show and Mike’s voice in general

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't remember this at all.

Athanatos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJvNAlsgs4

When she says "Talk to my attorney" that's when Saul hands her a card and tells her to say "Jimmy sent ya." Hamlin most likely, maybe Bill Oakley.

Then the 2nd part of the instructions:

"Where you going to be on November 12th at 3pm?"
-"I'll be there, but if it doesn't ring at 3 on the dot, I'm gone."
"Don't worry, it's going to ring."

This season we learn Jimmy's birthday is November 12th:

My guess is every year, 3pm on November 12th, Kim calls. That year, Francesca answered and told her what happened.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

"If you could fill me..."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Three hams will fill him, three hams will thrill him

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Three hams will fill him, three hams will thrill him

"Why don't you give him... three haaaaaams?"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oh wow. Yeah, I'm on board with this.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea seems believable if Jimmy is getting a call from Kim every year on his birthday, but it's after she gets disappeared so Francesca is unaware that it's her or what actually happened to Kim and unaware that is the person that is going to call...

Although, it's also a bit of a strange theory as there can't be that many years between where we are now and when Saul has to get disappeared in Breaking Bad...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's still nuts to me just how much ground season 6 has to cover. And I believe they WILL cover it, which is the craziest thing to me. Anyone else, I'd think 'yeah, they'll gently caress it up', but for Peter Gould and Vince Gilligan (and the writers), I have complete faith.

I'm just amazed that 13 episodes will apparently be enough to wrap this up.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea seems believable if Jimmy is getting a call from Kim every year on his birthday, but it's after she gets disappeared so Francesca is unaware that it's her or what actually happened to Kim and unaware that is the person that is going to call...

Although, it's also a bit of a strange theory as there can't be that many years between where we are now and when Saul has to get disappeared in Breaking Bad...

Yeah I think it's reasonable that Jimmy wouldn't have told Francesca he's in touch with Kim, and even this time she might not know it's Kim who's going to call until she actually hears her voice. Telling her ahead of time could risk blowing Kim's cover or leave her open to the cops/crooks/whoever is the reason she's gone.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It's still nuts to me just how much ground season 6 has to cover. And I believe they WILL cover it, which is the craziest thing to me. Anyone else, I'd think 'yeah, they'll gently caress it up', but for Peter Gould and Vince Gilligan (and the writers), I have complete faith.

I think it's a reasonable amount of air time, but we'll see. I doubt they'll show too far into Saul's post BB future anyway, which if so, they have a lot of time to fill in the blanks between now and then. I'm guessing that sequel arc will conclude relatively shortly after whatever this season is building to and if he survives, maybe we'll get a decent but short epilogue instead. All we really need to know is does he make it or does he get caught or killed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have so many questions, not the least of which include:

- what happens to Howard?
- what is Kim planning?
- will Lalo survive?
- wtf is up with those diamonds?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Kim divorces and leaves Jimmy for Howard as part of their con, but the act becomes real and they get married. Overcome with joy, Lalo gives them the diamonds as a wedding present which Jimmy then steals. Kim calls jimmy every year on his birthday to ask where the diamonds are, and after he leaves Francesca will answer the phone with Mike's voice, which kills the weird cab driver in the future. Gene was in purgatory the whole time, Walt is the smoke monster.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm not gonna lie the latest episode kind of shook my faith. I know we all love Lalo, but centering the finale around a Super Badass Cartel Hit Squad Action Scene indicates a prioritization that's so far from what I come to this show for, and leans into the worst parts of Breaking Bad.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
uhh the climax of the season 5 finale was kim doing fingerguns after suggesting doing "something unforgivable" and the cartel shootout was just tying up a loose end afterwards as a denouement

it's right there in the title

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Season 5 was the first time they ended a finale on a cartel plot instead of a Jimmy plot, and, not coincidentally, it's easily the worst season finale even though Season 5 is the best season.
Which is poetic, because the Season 4's finale is the best one even though it's the worst season.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 3, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Season 5 was the first time they ended a finale on a cartel plot instead of a Jimmy plot, and, not coincidentally, it's easily the worst season finale even though Season 5 is the best season.
Which is poetic, because the Season 4's finale is the best one even though it's the worst season.

Which season would you say had the best finale? I'd probably go with season 2 or 3 just because of the Jimmy/Chuck conflict.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He just said, season 4. And I'd be inclined to agree, I forget if the grants stuff was episode 9 or 10, but the whole arc of Jimmy's aspiration of ever being respected as a sincere lawyer getting crushed was a real gut punch, moreso than Chuck specifically being against him. Plus it had the Mike and Werner resolution (also fantastic) and Lalo got to establish himself.

E: Not a criticism, just pointing out!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 3, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Sorry, I guess I missed then when I read the post.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Which season would you say had the best finale? I'd probably go with season 2 or 3 just because of the Jimmy/Chuck conflict.

Season 2's finale is probably my second-favorite. It has two really good cliff-hangers, and even though I very much don't like how Gus has been used in BCS the FRING'S BACK experience was just loving wild, as was the realization of just how thoroughly and effectively and heartlessly Chuck had conned Jimmy.
Season 3's finale has two problems, neither of which are really its fault. One, it has to compete with Chicanery, which just isn't fair. Every Chuck scene in the episode hits it out of the park, but they were never going to top the sheer visceral satisfaction of Chuck melting the gently caress down in front of everyone and everything he cares about. Two, as much as I love Chuck and Jimmy's final conversation, I will always be a little bit salty that we never got a scene where Jimmy told Kim about this, even though there were numerous opportunities to do so over Seasons 4 and 5, and that it's absolutely crucial to understanding his perspective.
Season 1's finale is basically impossible to judge fairly because it so clearly functions as "this is where Jimmy becomes Saul" before getting majorly walked back at the beginning of Season 2, basically entirely because Kim Wexler exists, which begins her reign as MVP of the show. The bingo monologue and the scam montage are both top tier scenes, though.

christmas boots posted:

Sorry, I guess I missed then when I read the post.

i did an edit, probably in between you reading it and you quoting it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That’s fair. I can’t really disagree with any of that and yeah I took season 1 out of the running for that exact reason

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He just said, season 4. And I'd be inclined to agree, I forget if the grants stuff was episode 9 or 10, but the whole arc of Jimmy's aspiration of ever being respected as a sincere lawyer getting crushed was a real gut punch, moreso than Chuck specifically being against him. Plus it had the Mike and Werner resolution (also fantastic) and Lalo got to establish himself.

E: Not a criticism, just pointing out!

Jimmy giving that really good and sincere speech to the reinstatement board and his subsequent freakout at Kim on the roof of the parking garage when he gets told he was insincere was 4x09, but basically all the fallout of that was the finale.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh poo poo yeah I forgot that the finale also has him calling the board suckers after the speech. For some reason my mind pushed that to the start of season 5.

Yeah, 4 takes it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Two, as much as I love Chuck and Jimmy's final conversation, I will always be a little bit salty that we never got a scene where Jimmy told Kim about this, even though there were numerous opportunities to do so over Seasons 4 and 5, and that it's absolutely crucial to understanding his perspective.

That's fair, but the whole point of season 4 is that Jimmy very actively tries to avoid processing that conversation. Talking about it would have meant engaging with it, which Jimmy was unwilling or unable to do. Of course that means it bubbles up when he has to relive it before the grants board and the reinstatement board, and it nearly breaks him.

If the show had ended in season 4, that would have sucked, but I think season 5 justified things going this way, because Kim's handling of it is part of what makes her such a boss. She's supportive throughout season 4, looking after Jimmy and nudging him to confront his trauma without pushing too far, but as season 5 revs up, she gets it. She doesn't know the details of Chuck's last words or Hamlin crushing his spirit all over again, but she heard the "insincere" story and managed to piece it together. He doesn't have to tell her his deepest traumas that he himself probably hasn't fully processed, because she knows, understands, and supports him, and it shines through despite neither party ever saying this aloud. This pretty much gets cemented when she finds the bullet whole in his thermos right after they had a big to-do about never lying to each other, and instead of being upset, she gets that he's protecting her, and returns the favor by owning Lalo so hard he has to flee to Mexico.

That's fantastic television, more gripping than a thousand cartel shootouts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think she also gives him a pass on that one because it’s not like the other times he’s withheld information where he’s doing it to manipulate or “protect” her. Even if he doesn’t say anything the coffee cup, his physical state, and literally everything about his behavior clearly tell her that something traumatic happened and for all she knows it’s something that he just can’t talk about so she doesn’t push it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well yeah, she pushes back when pushing back is needed, and she organically stops pushing back on Saul Goodman or urging Jimmy to go to therapy as she gathers the picture.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's fair, but the whole point of season 4 is that Jimmy very actively tries to avoid processing that conversation. Talking about it would have meant engaging with it, which Jimmy was unwilling or unable to do. Of course that means it bubbles up when he has to relive it before the grants board and the reinstatement board, and it nearly breaks him.

If the show had ended in season 4, that would have sucked, but I think season 5 justified things going this way, because Kim's handling of it is part of what makes her such a boss. She's supportive throughout season 4, looking after Jimmy and nudging him to confront his trauma without pushing too far, but as season 5 revs up, she gets it. She doesn't know the details of Chuck's last words or Hamlin crushing his spirit all over again, but she heard the "insincere" story and managed to piece it together. He doesn't have to tell her his deepest traumas that he himself probably hasn't fully processed, because she knows, understands, and supports him, and it shines through despite neither party ever saying this aloud. This pretty much gets cemented when she finds the bullet whole in his thermos right after they had a big to-do about never lying to each other, and instead of being upset, she gets that he's protecting her, and returns the favor by owning Lalo so hard he has to flee to Mexico.

That's fantastic television, more gripping than a thousand cartel shootouts.

I keep coming back to that moment in early Season 5, where Jimmy is showing Kim the house and she could not more clearly be done with his poo poo. That's the moment where I think she and him should have had a real conversation about things. They didn't have to put everything on the table, but Kim going ride-or-die with him would have been a lot less blatantly self-destructive if he had given her something right there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

returns the favor by owning Lalo so hard he has to flee to Mexico.

God I think about that scene every so often and it's just incredible. She just OBLITERATES the man, I'm surprised he didn't just turn into dust and blow away on the wind.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
What rewatching both shows the last couple months has made me understand is just how loving much is packed into each episode

There were many scenarios that I remember as taking place across multiple episodes that are set up and resolved in under 20 minutes. Lol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jerusalem posted:

God I think about that scene every so often and it's just incredible. She just OBLITERATES the man, I'm surprised he didn't just turn into dust and blow away on the wind.

When you think about it Lalo is a corncob.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I keep coming back to that moment in early Season 5, where Jimmy is showing Kim the house and she could not more clearly be done with his poo poo. That's the moment where I think she and him should have had a real conversation about things. They didn't have to put everything on the table, but Kim going ride-or-die with him would have been a lot less blatantly self-destructive if he had given her something right there.

Oh yeah, that scene. I'd somehow managed to forget it. Yeah, that one screams "have a conversation!"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
At something of a loose end, I watched Bob O's new film Nobody last night.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Was not expecting him to join Keanu, Liam and Denzel in the 'old fella annihilating the absolute crap out of everyone' genre, what the Christ.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love how thanks to his physical fitness for that film basically coinciding with the upcoming final season, we're essentially seeing that between the end of BCS and the start of Breaking Bad, Saul obviously went on a STEEEEEEP decline.

Also yeah, Nobody is a ridiculous film but really enjoyable, and Odenkirk is shockingly believable as a middle-aged action hero dad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jerusalem posted:

I love how thanks to his physical fitness for that film basically coinciding with the upcoming final season, we're essentially seeing that between the end of BCS and the start of Breaking Bad, Saul obviously went on a STEEEEEEP decline.

Also yeah, Nobody is a ridiculous film but really enjoyable, and Odenkirk is shockingly believable as a middle-aged action hero dad.

I genuinely did not know just how much I needed Jimmy McGill hugging a Claymore, Doc Brown on a shotgun rampage, and RZA 360 no-scoping suckers with a sniper rifle in my life until now. And yeah, if anything, Odenkirk's kinda inspirational in it in fitness terms, given how he was in Breaking Bad and S1 of Fargo, he looks in amazing shape now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I rewatched BB recently, and obviously the passage of time changes people, but trying to reconcile "early Saul" with "right now IRL Bob Odenkirk" is quite the thing. Saul started very slimy, higher pitched voice, mullet... what a decline Jimmy's going to have to take.

... and then return from, because later Saul, like S5 Saul, is pretty much Odenkirk now but with a bit of a mullet. That "Best case scenario, I'm in Omaha" scene is essentially Jimmy but with longer hair.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's gonna be a flashback to an extra line we never heard in BB.

"Best case scenario I'm in Omaha running a Cinnabon.... and absolutely loving ripped. Just goddamn shredded."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

There's gonna be a flashback to an extra line we never heard in BB.

"Best case scenario I'm in Omaha running a Cinnabon.... and absolutely loving ripped. Just goddamn shredded."

I legitimately :lol:'d at this, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i hope that jimmy's plan to resolve the jeff situation is to just absolutely clobber the poo poo out of him with all the high-class assassin skills he learned off-screen