Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

...blatantly unrelated A plot and B plot through the whole thing. And I guess a C plot with Nacho for a while now...

Blatantly unrelated? Jimmy, Mike, and Nacho's stories are all intertwined. It's what the show is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The three greatest words in the English language: Lydia Rodarte-Quayle

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Laterite posted:

Blatantly unrelated? Jimmy, Mike, and Nacho's stories are all intertwined. It's what the show is about.
They're... kind of not. I mean, they started from a common place, and they're going to a common place... but Jimmy's depressing story this episode has absolutely nothing to do with Mike's goofy one, which itself is only barely related to Nacho's own tense drama, even though those two are at least both in Gus's sphere.

Perhaps it's me just not remembering recent events well enough, but when was the last time Mike and Jimmy interacted at all?

This is not to say I've got an issue with any of these stories, just that they were pretty unrelated, tonally and in terms of plot relevance.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I didn't get it as being cold as much as Jimmy taking in the fact that he directly had an impact on Chuck's suicide. It was many words, but Howard is telling Jimmy that the thing that pushed Chuck to killing himself was Jimmy telling the insurance company about Chuck's condition.

He's being cold telling Howard it's his cross to bear, but its really Jimmy's cross to bear.

This moment is probably the true end of Jimmy McGill. With Irene last season when Jimmy saw the harm he had caused he took responsibility for his actions and made restitutions. He felt guilty and wanted to make it right.

In this scene Jimmy recognizes the role he played in his brother's death, but this time he refuses responsibility, he refuses to accept guilt. That's a problem for someone else. He has taken to heart Chuck's parting advice.

It's a breaking moment for him. If Jimmy had never learned of the insurance problem maybe he would have grieved his brother's death in a normal fashion. But this knowledge ends up confirming everything his brother had believed about him. Jimmy wanted to reconcile with his brother in the season 3 finale, but it was only after the damage had been done. Now he knows that Chuck was right, he will inevitably damage the people around him, so there is no point in feeling bad about it.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Tbh with how hellish and full of paranoia Gene's day to day life seems to be, what's stopping him from just loving off to south america/thailand aside from possibly being in debt or something? Anything's better than his current situation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn I am so happy this show is back. Mike showing up to work to do his job ruled, and Jimmy's reaction to Howard pouring his heart out did too.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Eiba posted:

Personally, it's not that they're bad storylines, but it's so weird for a whole serialized TV show to have such a blatantly unrelated A plot and B plot through the whole thing. And I guess a C plot with Nacho for a while now. When they actually interact at this point it's like an exciting crossover.

At this point, after three seasons of little development with Jimmy and the character bearing no resemblance to the fun Breaking Bad version, I'm just tuning in for the Mike and Nacho storylines. It's not much but it's something.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

My favourite little touch is Jimmy being super into taking care of his fish.

I need to go back and rewatch the last season finale to remind myself of Chuck's speech about Jimmy not feeling bad and how little Jimmy means to him then rewatch this and see how it sits as Jimmy goes through the motions.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I didn't get it as being cold as much as Jimmy taking in the fact that he directly had an impact on Chuck's suicide. It was many words, but Howard is telling Jimmy that the thing that pushed Chuck to killing himself was Jimmy telling the insurance company about Chuck's condition.

He's being cold telling Howard it's his cross to bear, but its really Jimmy's cross to bear.

I mean, yeah, I got that. But it was more that he didn't even try to comfort Howard. Before Howard said anything, Jimmy was silently blaming himself the entire episode, but Howard gave him a way out. Making Howard believe that he was responsible is his ultimate scam so far.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Uh, Better Call Saul season 4 is currently $3 on Amazon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kefkafloyd posted:

I mean, yeah, I got that. But it was more that he didn't even try to comfort Howard. Before Howard said anything, Jimmy was silently blaming himself the entire episode, but Howard gave him a way out. Making Howard believe that he was responsible is his ultimate scam so far.

Is it a scam if it was unintentional, though?

Seems like Jimmy's best-case outcome was "get Chuck fired, and teach him a lesson". But it ended up with Chuck killing himself. Does Jimmy think "Wow! poo poo I am good at this scam stuff!" ?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

This show becomes a million times better when you start skipping the scenes with Mike in them

Mike is a great character played by a wonderful actor, but I absolutely cannot find it in me to give a flying gently caress about basically any story he's involved in. Everything to do with Saul feels like it's own show with it's own personality, but most of the Mike stuff feels like Breaking Bad 2: But Even Slower. I remember all the way back in the first season being like "????why am I watching this???" during the three minute long montage of Mike looking in cupboards and closets set to cool music. Tuco, similarly, is a character whose fate we know, along with Mike's. Whatever repercussions that story has on anything are already determined to be minimal.

The Nacho/Gus stuff in this episode also just feels like it’s from a completely different show :/

The show and the fans really like Mike but man, they're just not giving him anything actually fun or interesting to do.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 7, 2018

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Data Graham posted:

Seems like Jimmy's best-case outcome was "get Chuck fired, and teach him a lesson". But it ended up with Chuck killing himself. Does Jimmy think "Wow! poo poo I am good at this scam stuff!" ?

I'm not saying he's feeling good about it, it's just that's the effect of letting Howard believe he's responsible. He doesn't even put up a front, it's a straight up "Well sucks to be you" in the face of tragedy. It's actively choosing to be evil with no justification other than absolving himself of the full blame for the death of his brother. The death may be unintentional, but Jimmy had a choice to make when Howard revealed that, and he chose the dark one.

It feels like a real point of no return for Jimmy, and he'll get away with it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

kefkafloyd posted:

Jimmy was silently blaming himself for Chuck dying the whole episode yes. But, up until that point though, Jimmy wasn't blaming himself for Chuck killing himself. Jimmy basically broke inside when finding out that Chuck both likely killed himself and it was because of Jimmy's actions with the insurance company. And what was he supposed to do at the point, say, "No it was my fault, I ratted chuck out to the insurance agency?"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I love this show but I agree the Jimmy and Mike stuff is way too separate. And because supposedly Saul didn't even know who Gus was, I doubt they'll ever really intertwine. Jimmy will just start using Mike more for fixer type stuff on the side.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I like the parallels between this and the Breaking Bad episode 506 “Buyout” in which after Walt tells Jessie he can take off early because he’s upset about the kid that they killed, Jessie hears Walt whistling as he returns to the lab to work. This is the moment Jessie realizes Walt is an unrepentant psychopath.

In the same fashion, that push in on Kim looking horrified is probably the beginning of the end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Former Human posted:

At this point, after three seasons of little development with Jimmy and the character bearing no resemblance to the fun Breaking Bad version, I'm just tuning in for the Mike and Nacho storylines. It's not much but it's something.

Calico Heart posted:

This show becomes a million times better when you start skipping the scenes with Mike in them

Mike is a great character played by a wonderful actor, but I absolutely cannot find it in me to give a flying gently caress about basically any story he's involved in. Everything to do with Saul feels like it's own show with it's own personality, but most of the Mike stuff feels like Breaking Bad 2: But Even Slower. I remember all the way back in the first season being like "????why am I watching this???" during the three minute long montage of Mike looking in cupboards and closets set to cool music. Tuco, similarly, is a character whose fate we know, along with Mike's. Whatever repercussions that story has on anything are already determined to be minimal.

The Nacho/Gus stuff in this episode also just feels like it’s from a completely different show :/

The show and the fans really like Mike but man, they're just not giving him anything actually fun or interesting to do.

Fight fight fight

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Watch this all be chucks great plan to catch jimmy cheating.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I will say this, and it's something I never thought I'd say in the first season: Howard may be the most decent person in this show aside from Kim. I feel pretty bad for him.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Goddamn that last line felt like such a significant step toward Saul Goodman.
I love this so much.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

I will say this, and it's something I never thought I'd say in the first season: Howard may be the most decent person in this show aside from Kim. I feel pretty bad for him.

patrick fabian really has done a great job with that character - you dislike howard in part because jimmy hates him so much, then you progressively realize that that jimmy actually just hates himself and howard is generally a guy trying to do right

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

And what was he supposed to do at the point, say, "No it was my fault, I ratted chuck out to the insurance agency?"

A normal human might have done that. A normal human also might have at least reassured Harry that it wasn't only his fault without going into specifics.

Not Jimmy though. He responded by reinforcing Harry's feelings of personal guilt and then whistled happily to himself while he fed his fish. That was the biggest step toward being Saul the character has taken so far.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Thanks for the heads up, just grabbed it!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It's just the first episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well Caesarian Sectarian, I guess that's just your cross to bear.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Calico Heart posted:

Mike was given a fake job so he could launder money but was bored so he decided to actually do that fake job instead. The whole scene was confusing but had a great payoff when it was revealed what he was doing. I love that so many of Mike's scenes like this are silent. They're little vignettes of pure cinema on television. Without these scenes, the show turns slightly more into regular level television and we don't need another loving Walking Dead that's all soap opera exposition.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

A normal human might have done that. A normal human also might have at least reassured Harry that it wasn't only his fault without going into specifics.

Not Jimmy though. He responded by reinforcing Harry's feelings of personal guilt and then whistled happily to himself while he fed his fish. That was the biggest step toward being Saul the character has taken so far.

A normal human being would not be able to cope with the knowledge that their petty indulgence set in action a chain of events that led their brother to suicide. There's not really any going back from that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Ninth Layer posted:

A normal human being would not be able to cope with the knowledge that their petty indulgence set in action a chain of events that led their brother to suicide. There's not really any going back from that.

The 'I've never really cared for you' line MIGHT, I don't know, make someone like Jimmy even more morally flexible.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Jimmy is a true Goon.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

#ChuckWasRight

quote:

Chuck: Jimmy, this is what you do. You hurt people over and over and over, and then there's this show of remorse.
Jimmy: It's not a show.
Chuck: I know you don't think it's a show. I don't doubt that your emotions are real. But what's the point of all the sad faces and the gnashing of teeth? If you're not going to change your behavior, and you won't...
Jimmy: I can change—
Chuck: ...why not just skip the whole exercise? In the end, you're going to hurt everyone around you. You can't help it. So stop apologizing and accept it, embrace it. Frankly, I'd have more respect for you if you did.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
The song playing at Chuck's funeral was the same one we saw him practicing in Season 2. Nice callback there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chris James 2 posted:

#ChuckWasRight

This is the marking of a great character and great writing. Everyone hates him, he's considered a villain... And he's loving right.

He sees through Jimmy's bullshit 100% of the time and it just makes things worse.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And yet nothing feels predetermined, which is indicative of the great writing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Ninth Layer posted:

This moment is probably the true end of Jimmy McGill. With Irene last season when Jimmy saw the harm he had caused he took responsibility for his actions and made restitutions. He felt guilty and wanted to make it right.

In this scene Jimmy recognizes the role he played in his brother's death, but this time he refuses responsibility, he refuses to accept guilt. That's a problem for someone else. He has taken to heart Chuck's parting advice.

It's a breaking moment for him. If Jimmy had never learned of the insurance problem maybe he would have grieved his brother's death in a normal fashion. But this knowledge ends up confirming everything his brother had believed about him. Jimmy wanted to reconcile with his brother in the season 3 finale, but it was only after the damage had been done. Now he knows that Chuck was right, he will inevitably damage the people around him, so there is no point in feeling bad about it.

The thing is that if Jimmy were, say, Walter White, he could easily rationalize this by saying that the insurance agent would have found out about this eventually and all he did was speed up the process.
But Jimmy isn't interested in rationalizing.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The 'I've never really cared for you' line MIGHT, I don't know, make someone like Jimmy even more morally flexible.
No one will ever find out that saying this vicious lie is what made Chuck relapse, and Jimmy will for the rest of his life think that it was just as true and accurate as everything else Chuck said to him that day.
Just like Howard will for the rest of his life think that Chuck's suicide was his fault.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 7, 2018

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nail Rat posted:

It's just the first episode.

Amazon receipt says Season 4, not episode 1. A similar situation happened with Ducktales.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

eke out posted:

at this point i want to know what happened to Kim in the present more than I want to see him deal with the many, many crimes he's running from
I keep hoping maybe Kim will show up in one of the future/present/whatever-this-is scenes.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
This season is going to get loving ugly. It tore me apart to see Howard look so broken and defeated.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah fuckin' Howard "Hamlindigo Blue" Hamlin of all characters is just not someone I ever expected to be this invested in. They've done such a great job with his character.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Douk Douk posted:

This season is going to get loving ugly. It tore me apart to see Howard look so broken and defeated.

Wait'll we see how Kim reacts to seeing Jimmy's callous take. And if (when) she finds out what Jimmy did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I buy all my episodes on amazon so I get no recaps/previews. Wow I was totally lost even though nothing happened the first half of the episode. There some pre premier recap out there because as much as i love the show rewatching season 3 is ughhh?