Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Professor Shark posted:

I was going to ask what the timeline was so far, but then I found a site that said we're 5 years out from the beginning of BB (BCS ends in 2003, BB starts in 2008 and ends in 2010).

The same site pointed out that there are clues that the Gene timeline takes place more than 50 years after Jimmy flees, which must be some sort of oversight.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense, BCS begins in 2002 and the Gene timeline just looks like it takes place in our present-day, so 2015-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

spiderbyte posted:

Does Saul actually know Gus before BB? We know that he knows of him through Mike, but does he actually know who he is before Walt gets involved?

As best as we can tell, no; at best, Saul knows of Gus and knows that he moves meth, but he probably doesn't know his identity.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Also Mike's granddaughter has got to be the biggest continuity issue between both shows

Eh. Someone realized something during the early filming of the first season of BCS, because in the first few episodes Odenkirk (as Jimmy, not Gene) looks like he's aged 20 years since shooting Breaking Bad, and then all of a sudden they've got him all babyfaced and looking appropriately young. Unicorn blood or something, I suppose.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ElwoodCuse posted:

How many of you watched Homicide? It's quite a trip going from "Al Giardelo's son" to "meth king". Oh and yeah that one episode of Community.

He doesn't have a ton to do in Homicide: The Movie (since they tried to give a scene to basically every character from the series and cram it into a 90-minute TV movie), but the bit where he's standing on the balcony of the precinct building (really the Recreation Pier, which is now a luxury hotel), Lewis steps out from the Waterfront and is standing on Thames Street, then Lewis catches his eye, taps his heart and Mike Giardello acknowledges it with the weakest, most hurtful nod ... it's a wonderful piece of acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzVPCSao5wY&t=4817s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Raxivace posted:

Godfather Part II is the closest thing off of the top of my head, but IIRC you’re never actually revisiting events from the first film.

Yeah, the closest that movie comes to that is the flashback sequence of Vito's birthday party in 1941, where Michael announces he's enlisted and James Caan shows up as Sonny and is pissed as hell at him. They wanted to get Brando to appear, too, but he threw a tantrum because he was feuding with someone at Paramount and didn't show up on the day he was scheduled to shoot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What is this Mikes Voice thing I keep seeing mentioned?

There was some insane Internet theory that Walter was, like, subsuming the souls of people he killed, and some lunatics believed that in Crawl Space, when Walter was confronted in the desert by Gus, that one line--"if you could kill me" or something like that--was dubbed over by Jonathan Banks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R. Guyovich posted:

the people who think when actors talk about "improv" they mean actual ad-libbed dialogue rather than character choices made without rehearsal drive me up a wall.

It's like how people think the first Iron Man was just ad-libbed because of a Jeff Bridges quote in an interview. Like, yeah, sure, all of that expensive CGI and all of the plot beats were just made up on the spot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I thought it was very well executed and I just love the final shot with El Paso playing.

El Paso plays in the opening. Badfinger's Baby Blue is the song that plays over the final sequence.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cloudchamber posted:

Isn't that the opposite of what's been happening though? I think TV channels and newspapers are having trouble right now because the financial downturn brought on by the Coronavirus has caused companies to slash down on the amount of cash they were planning to spend on advertising.

Journalism outfits have been bleeding since 2004 and really turned for the worse around 2009; the rise of VC companies acquiring journalism outlets then bleeding them dry has only made things worse.

With national TV, no, generally advertisers are locked into long-term deals. Local TV affiliates are hurting, though, although there's been about a 25 percent increase in ad spends over the past few months, but for the most part after primetime hours and affiliates are just doing their syndication programming, you'll see the same four commercials three times in an hour.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, it's likely been mentioned here ITT before, but Peter Gould has said that season six will, apparently, fundamentally change how we see Breaking Bad.

Any theories as to how?

The camera pulls back from the White residence and we see it in a snow globe being held by Tommy Westphal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

roomtone posted:

jesse isn't even supposed to be 25. that's just the age he looks in s1. he's supposed to be 19 for most of the show and maybe 20 by the end of breaking bad. mike even refers to him as a teenager in el camino.

Jesse was born in '84, so he's 25 by the time of Felina / El Camino.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Speaker posted:

I know I'm not the only person to have asked this ITT, but I'm going through S3 now and at the point where Gus begins considering building the superlab.

How the gently caress would you even go about such a huge project? Is 'clandestine excavation' on that scale at all possible? If it is, how do you start? Are we expected to believe that the whole dig started with a man-sized hole underneath a washing machine, and in a few weeks they were able to assemble a backhoe underground?

And where the hell does the elevator go???

This is kind of where you have to kind of whitewash it a bit and assume that Gus has local officials in his pocket and can get the permits taken care of with some bribery.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sub Rosa posted:

Why did he need to be recast?

The original actor was busy shooting We Own This City for HBO.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

christmas boots posted:

That's kind of how I felt with Breaking Bad, but I also kind of liked that. Ozymandias was that big blow me away and even Felina felt like a wind-down by comparison, but that really worked for me.

Ozymandias was the climax. Granite State and Felina were the denouement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FireWorksWell posted:

But where's our Banks show

Jonathan Banks is 75 and has made his money, I'm pretty sure he's ready to retire outside of occasional voice work.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Well yeah. He didn’t know she confessed to hamlin’s wife

Right, this is explicitly text. He thought he was going to be able to sell out Kim to the ASA for a little more leniency because he was still mad about their phone call. Then he finds out that Kim already made a full statement and sworn affidavit to Hamlin's widow as well as to the DA in Albuquerque, and he lost his final bargaining chip. He's lying his rear end off when he says he has dirt on Kim to make her come to court from Florida, because he's being selfish.

Then at his plea hearing, he starts to try and sell the same sob story, probably because of how hurt and angry he was at Kim.

And then he decides to sacrifice his material life in order to save his soul. At the podium, Saul Goodman died and Jimmy McGill was reborn, for better and for worse.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ALFbrot posted:

He's lying his rear end off about Kim because he needs her there to see his admissions. He had made up his mind on the airplane.

Right, he's being selfish. Never got over the breakup so he lied his rear end off to get her there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Men would literally rather get sentenced to life in prison than go to therapy.

As the old saying goes, even the wicked get worse than they deserve.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Takes No Damage posted:

It was a gallon a week, not a bowl :yum:

It was a pint.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Catastrophe posted:

I'm glad that multitudes of new people have been introduced to how much Carol Burnett owns.

Though I only ever knew her as a pillar in comedy, before this show. (e: To be fair, I also only remembered Bob Oedekerk as a comedy persona before BB/BCS)

Carol Burnett had an incredible guest spot in an episode of Law & Order: SVU, alongside Matthew Lillard, in which she was a black widow who killed her husbands. Got nominated for an Emmy for the episode, I think it was in season 10.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Caesar Saladin posted:

I don't think there should be any more spinoffs, otherwise it risks becoming like, Narcos or something.

Yeah, the universe is over, the stories have been told. The Salamanca cartel has been eradicated. Chuck, Gus, Walt and Mike are dead. Jesse's safe in Alaska starting a new life. Jimmy McGill is disbarred and in prison for the rest of his natural life. Kim Wexler is trying to start over in Florida. There's really nothing left to tell.

Catastrophe posted:

What in the ever-loving heck? No way.

Searching now.. HACKING IN PROGRESS.

eeeeeee! Neat! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1248628/

Told you!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AndyElusive posted:

El Camino-like spin off movie about Flynn, Holly and Skyler post BCS/BB.

I mean, we already know what happened with Skyler; she got a deal for being complicit in money laundering in return for telling the FBI where Hank and Gomez's bodies were. The Gene scenes take place in late 2010, not terribly long after Breaking Bad ended, so she's probably serving supervised probation and raising Flynn and Holly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Annabel Pee posted:

I only realised with Saul said to Marie he met Hank a few times, did we ever see when he found out Hank was Walt's brother in law? So he met Hank a few times in BCS, then a few times early in BB, and then at some point he finds out Walt's brother in law is a DEA agent, and then some time later he finds out its the same guy he's met before. Do we ever see that point? I don't remember it. It also made me laugh thinking when he was confessing to everything, he could have also said to Marie, oh yeah actually Walt told me to call your husband once and tell him you were dying in hospital!

I think Saul figures it out early in season 3 of BB.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R. Guyovich posted:

whatever you say, guy who registered this june

2nd Amendment is a Shbodb / Vitruvian Maniac rereg. This is their gimmick. :eng101:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Last Chance posted:

What bedroom shot?

After Nacho's dad slams Mike after Mike tries to tell him that he'll no longer be a target of the Salamancas, saying that Mike is just the same as the criminals he works with, we see Mike in his bedroom, ostensibly pondering his life choices.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, I kinda want every script they’ve ever written now.

I wouldn't be shocked to see collections of the Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul scripts published at some point in the next five to seven years. Babylon 5 had its scripts published in collections a few years back, and that was a much more niche show than BB / BCS.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 18, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

christmas boots posted:

That's the reason he gave for leaving Breaking Bad (also I think he had other obligations)

Raymond Cruz was full-time on The Closer and then Major Crimes, and he really didn't have the time to travel back and forth between Los Angeles and Albuquerque.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

YOU LET VERN SHILLINGER BECOME A CHILD PSYCHOLOGIST?! :psyduck:

At the same time JK Simmons was appearing as Dr, Skoda on Law & Order, he showed up in a Homicide: Life on the Street / Law & Order crossover as a neo-Nazi anarchist trying to start a race war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

What are the scenes of Dean Norris being a drug kingpin from?

The TNT show Claws.