Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
- Good OP
- Thanks for the reminder
- *ding*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What was everyone's take on the way they shot the phone conversation between Hamlin & Jimmy? There were a lot of sudden cuts mid-sentence, and at one point it was like Howard was doing a mock-recitation of the eulogy rather than reading an obituary. Howard in his suit, standing behind his desk in this massive towering apartment (office?), and Jimmy hunched over his kitchen counter in a t-shirt. What do you think they were going for with all that?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It was cool to get not one, but TWO recurring It’s Always Sunny cast members for the copier job interview, helped set a bit of an absurdist comedy vibe right from the start.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Wafflecopper posted:

You're talking about The Expanse right? It's not even in the same league as BCS. It's shlocky fun at best.

You’re wrong, Wafflecopper.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jimmy is really good at convincing people to do illegal stuff (‘cept for Mike cause he’s old and grumpy), looking more and more like Saul...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I hope this crime Jimmy's planning actually goes perfectly and he faces no consequences for it except having $4,000 dollars.

I’m counting on it

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was expecting the cat burglar to be Trevor from GTAV again

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo. How did I not see Gale coming. This is loving great.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I just realized something about her: I'm pretty much always surprised by whatever reaction she has. I just can't seem to figure her out, but in a really good, believable sort of way.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bbf2 posted:

I was a little thrown off by the fact that the actress playing the girl Kim was defending (who was scared to go to court) looked like she was an Abercrombie and Fitch model. Usually the show is a little better than that at casting more realistically average looking people as New Mexico miscreant riffraff

I feel you on that, but a random assortment of humans always has a chance of a percentage of them being attractive and well put together, y'know? Just one above-average looking person here isn't all that unbelievable since, as you said, they usually cast more salt-of-the-earth folks for random appearances.

I got a real BB-style psych-up from that last line. Jimmy's path to Saul has never been clearer. He sort of loses his cool when asked what he's going to do when he's off probation, then regains focus and delivers this line, smoldering: "Yeah. Lawyer." He learned in this episode that he's good at dealing with all sorts of the criminal element, but he doesn't need to be risking his rear end out on the front lines (sort of like Walt & Jesse quickly learned in BB). The best way to do both is to do what he was trained to do: a combination of both Slippin' and litigatin'.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Really seems like they’re backing themselves into a corner with the meth lab plot. We know the job gets pulled off and the lab opens without incident (at first) 4-5 years from now. What is there to show us here?

Mike's responsible for making sure a giant back hoe gets delivered underground to the work site and a cop spots it and starts asking questions. Mike's gotta deal with the cop; will he take a full measure and kill him, making it look like an accident? Will he try to reason with him? Will he pull Jimmy in to help him cook up some sort of large-scale deception/misdirect?

I dunno man, I'm no writer but it seems to me there's tons of stuff they can do with this!

Baronjutter posted:

I'd watch a show just on its construction, that's a lot of engineering and construction to do in total secrecy.

:yeah:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

Why do you guys figure Kim is still with Jimmy, anyways? I know she finds him charming and is attracted to his rebelliousness, but I also feel like she's got a hard to believe threshold for his bullshit.

I really figured when he told her about the incident with Huell, that would be her moment of "well, I guess you really aren't going to change" and that would be that. Maybe she is staying out of a sense of responsibility at this point? That it would be too cruel to leave him when he's clearly in a tail-spin?

......you don't know the whole story.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

Someone explain the thimble

Is it a podcast inside joke

Here ya go pal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyrM7GxyzGg

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Lalo seems cool.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Was anybody else surprised at Nacho's place of residence? Looks like some sort of nice-rear end house stocked with rooms for Salamancas and their, uh, groupies. I guess that makes perfect sense, but for some reason those were not the digs I was expecting for a low-to-mid level drug dealer from a Mexican crime family to have.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m amazed Kai is still alive after all the poo poo he has pulled

I believe it’s because His Boss Needs Him

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Supercar Gautier posted:

I did forget it was Jimmy who looked at the note and not Kim, and the scam was a church group instead of charity kids, but otherwise I'm pretty dang pleased my guess was squarely in the right ballpark.

Also, I'm liking Lalo's energy, he seems like he'll be a fun villain. And I instantly recognized the actor from a bit part on Sense8, he's got a good charisma to him.

Yeah that was a nice called shot. When Jimmy was paying randos to write letters on the bus I was like "hey that one goon guessed it right! :unsmith:" Also really glad they didn't go with the faking mental retardation theory that was being floated in this thread because honestly I could see the show doing that to illustrate how grimy Saul is going to get and maybe alienate Kim a bit. But what actually shook out was so much better.

So there's a part of me that's a bit disappointed that Kim is going full-tilt with Slippin' because this means that, when she inevitably falls (speculation from her absence in BB) there will likely be more blame on her shoulders directly rather than Jimmy loving up and dumping something she doesn't deserve on her. This seems to be a much kinder and less tragic path to Saul Goodman.

And I, too, fear for Werner :ohdear:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nail Rat posted:

she's at home waiting for Saul each night

uhhh....we are both talking about the same Kim, right??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did they explain who the legal assistants (paralegals? junior associates?) with Kim were in the meeting with the Asst. DA? She couldn't have roped in actual time and resources from Schweikert and Cokely, could she? Were they more film students or something? Law students from the community college down the road?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GigaPeon posted:

It sure seems like Jimmy just took the long way around to back to doing Public Defender work. None of these folks seem like the money-having sorts.

True, but they definitely attempted to illustrate that he’s happier and more in control of things. He’s actually getting poo poo done now in a big way, mostly by tipping the scales in his favor as opposed to begging for plea bargains (I mean he’s still doing that a little but whaddya want? That’s what a lawyer does). It was also clear from Kim’s reaction that he has a super heavy client load and of course that adds up

I liked the scene where Jimmy was waiting for that DA to come out of the courtroom and he sort of got swept away by a wave of opportunities and then safely landed back in the same spot right in time for Susan to walk out. He’s definitely performing at optimal schemer right now.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

massive spider posted:

Kuby was reportedly supposed to have Steven Oggs role this episode but Bill Burr had conflicts.

I was definitely expecting him!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My father-in-law's prediction before this season started was that Kim would hook up with Howard. I dismissed it as highly improbable since we've already seen multiple scenes of Kim and Howard not getting along at all, but you gotta admit that would definitely be an effective motivator for Jimmy to become Saul and never look back.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic posted:

Hey, it's the song Eminem sampled for My Name Is which I never knew was a sample until now!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Jimmy no the sand is gonna tear right through the bags

Came here to say both of these things

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It probably doesn’t help that I’ve been replaying GTAV but I definitely also had the thought when Mike first found the survivor patrolling “just snipe him in the head, steal his car and get out of there!” I was also disappointed to see the car flip the second time around because to me it felt like a wasted opportunity for these two men suffering from extreme thirst and heat exhaustion. But I mean, the flip was cool to watch or whatever!

At the risk of being labeled a Bad TV Watcher, I felt like a real smart guy halfway through the episode when it occurred to me that the ambush might have been set up by Lalo himself to get rid of this greedy lawyer who knows things and keeps asking for more and more money. Getting him to agree to go into the middle of nowhere for a lawyer related task like retrieving bail money would be a good way to off him quietly, then just give the cash to some low level unknown to turn in. Plus, later when Lalo’s talking to Kim he says something about “if he doesn’t make it, whatever” :geno:

But now basically Vince is on record saying they were cartel adjacent, so nvm! :downs:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nep-Nep posted:

Lalo was the one who told Jimmy his motto should be "Just Make Money," so I'm pretty sure he was pleased to see Jimmy giving into greed.

Also if he wanted to kill Saul why not just have his murderous Attack Nephews do the job at the handoff point. My read doesn’t really hold up, BUT! In my defense, the show often pulls twists like this and then the writers are tasked with making it make sense from all characters perspectives. Like maybe the cartel was suspicious Saul would be packing so they used the drop off to assess the situation, then called the ambush gang. And maybe Lalo only likes greed up to a certain point.

I mean this is all a moot point but just to say that anything is possible on this show and then typically justified after the fact. For instance I still don’t really see why it HAD to be Saul to do the pickup but then Lalo presented several decent points to support that plot point at the beginning of the episode.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
C'mon with those bleep bloop sound effects :rolleyes:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if that kid on the skateboard plowing into that fire hydrant in the background was intentional storytelling or just an unfortunate twist of fate for a background extra during Bob's best take

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The very last shot before commercial, there's some kids skateboarding around in the background and one of them runs into a fire hydrant :lol:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Lol loving spider Lalo again

that was awesome, this show is once again like GTA. Way faster to just jump down so wheeee

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yep, Saul Goodman is a famous timpanist and percussion educator. I was playing etudes out of his technique books years before Breaking Bad was ever a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Gus cleaning a bathtub with a toothbrush like a loving methhead tweaker lmao you gotta love it folks