Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jimmy’s comment to Howard was arguably the most brutal thing he’s done, albeit in a funny way. God drat that was ice cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

jerk irl posted:

Yeah it was. But to me it seemed that this behavior was not due to suddenly turning into an ice cold rear end in a top hat, but due to being numb and trying to shut the whole thing out, 'cause it's unbearable for him. Later on, he'll stop being able to shut it out and have a meltdown, imo.
I wonder about that though. He was pretty much done with Chuck, and Chuck was done with him at the time. It’s 50/50 as to whether he just wanted to be a dick to Howard with that comment or if he actually feels bad about it. We’ll find out soon I’m sure. But considering we are beginning the descent of Jimmy into Saul, i can believe that he didn’t feel remorse for the insurance thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

I find I like BCS more than BB. Don't get me wrong, BB was v good, but BCS I think is better.
Overall I like BB better so far, but BCS is so much different I don't even like to try and compare it. BCS is also still going, so it's even harder to judge.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Who's to say he's lying to Kim? The copy shop interview was his first of the day and as soon as he stormed out he called another place to set up an interview. He may have in fact been productive and gotten some leads.

As for why he tanked the interview, I think a lot of it is him still hosed up over Chuck, no matter how much he whistled last episode. Chuck's constant condemnation of Jimmy is that he was always looking to take the easy way out, and Jimmy seemed prepared for an uphill battle of "yes I was a lawyer, no I can no longer practice law, no I do not have any experience but let me prove to you that I am Charlie Hustle and I will not cut corners and I will be a good employee!" and then he fast-talked his way into getting a job offer on the spot. I think he was genuinely disgusted by what easy marks they were, and lashed out in part because he did not want to prove that Chuck was correct once again, from the grave.

Also if you want to do the parallel storytelling thing between the completely unrelated Jimmy and Mike storylines, both characters wanted a work situation to be done with due diligence and all of the angles covered, while potential co-workers wanted to just take the path of least resistance.
That entire sequence with the copier people did feel like it was him going back against himself because of the stuff Chuck has planted in his head about him being a failure.

I see we also have Chehkov's Letter being put away until a later episode, where I'm sure nothing at all will happen with it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I was hoping they'd mention the buyout in the will scene. At least as an aside, or has Howard "withdrawn" the offer?

I mean back then she'd have to pay 50% estate taxes on that 8mill (besides his other assets), he could mention hooking her up with a tax attorney.
I would say the offer was withdrawn because the check burned up with Chuck and he never had interest in the money.

I guess there is a small, small chance that the check was in that mystery letter to Jimmy but I doubt it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Howard and Kim are probably the least piece of poo poo main(ish) characters on this show.

Thanks that’s my hot take.
Howard only is by default

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

One last gently caress CHUCK for his goddamn will having the bare minimum inheritance.
I mean not even that, just enough to avoid the trust being in potential legal jeopardy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

precision posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think that the whole sequence of him getting and then refusing the job is one of the best scenes of the whole series.
It was very good, but i don’t think anything will top the episode last season where Chuck testifies and proceeds to get owned

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fring is easily the best villain of either show by a mile. He’s also pretty terrifying when he feels like it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

My theory on Lalo.

He's a leader of a rival crew. Juan Bolsa mentioned to Nacho and Ponytail that rival crews would be trying to step on Salamanca turf now Hector was out. Ponytail also mentioned to The Cousins in hospital that they'd chased off a rival gang. The subject of turf war has been mentioned twice now and I think that's how they'll introduce Lalo.

Unless he's sent in as an interim replacement for Hector now that Ponytail has "disappeared". Not unlike Gaff from Breaking Bad s4.
I agree with your idea that he could be a rival, now that Hector is out of the picture. Otherwise I’m not sure where that plot line really goes from here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

precision posted:

I like some of the stuff that has come from Gus being on the show (specifically Nacho's story) but I don't like how Gus has somehow become even more superhumanly competent than he was in BB. A villain who never fucks up is not a very interesting one and right now he's like a frickin' Terminator.
Well we know from BB that he is the top meth guy in that part of the US, and he has been operating under cover as a local businessman who does good things for the community, right under the noses of the DEA. So it's not exactly shocking that he's competent in this show too.

He does screw up in BB- he hires Walt, who leads to his downfall, and he refuses to just kill Hector because he wants to torture him for revenge, but that also comes back to (literally) blow up in his face

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Caros posted:

It is either this or guilt.

She had that little meltdown at Mesa Verde and it could be that she is sort of able to draw a line of causation between her success and how she got there, basically by driving chuck even more nuts to the point that he embarrassed himself in public, lost his job over the insurance and killed himself.
Yeah her guilt is why she was kind of spacing out at Mesa Verde and then after hearing Jimmy read the letter to him that she had considered withholding.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't think it was guilt she felt in that room with the models, I think it was "holy gently caress this might just be what I do forever now oh God no."
Not sure where you’re getting that from. It happens almost immediately after the bank president mentions Chuck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My favorite thing about this show is that when it comes to the arguments between characters, everyone can be both right and wrong at the same time. It’s very open to interpretation. In some ways it’s too bad that this is a prequel, because the Chuck/Jimmy conflict would be even better if we didn’t know Jimmy becomes a scumbag lawyer like Saul.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My DVR cut off in the middle of Mike’s meeting with Gus, what happened after that started?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Gus was mad that Mike had known about Nacho's plan to mess with Hector's meds and didn't tell him, Mike gave Gus some sass and then asked him to cut the crap and tell him what the job he needs done is. Then the episode ended so we'll see that next week.
Thanks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So did Nacho get out of the car to help to keep his cover that he was attacked and it wasn’t all staged by Gus?

Otherwise I don’t know why he would put his life in jeopardy like that, but i assume it was to keep to the idea that this other group hit him and tried to kill him but failed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like we have not had much Jimmy and Kim this season yet. Especially considering how much screen time Nacho seems to be getting in the last 4 episodes.

The frustrating aspect to me this season is that it doesn’t seem to be building up to anything like last season did so well. I guess that could change soon if we get a lot of ‘Jimmy doing shady poo poo for those cellphone customers’.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Was that scene from the Breaking Bad timeline old footage or new footage?
All new. I think one of the producers had let it slip before the season that we were getting some scenes this season that take place during BB, and that is probably what they meant

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Selachian posted:

I assumed he was faking sales receipts so he could sell the burner phones for cash and still have a paper trail to show his boss to account for the phones missing from inventory.
Yeah I think this is more likely. Otherwise they would know he was buying large numbers of phones.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Then there's whatever is up with that "Be at a phone (probably a payphone from the sound of it?) on November 12th at 3 p.m." instruction Saul gave her...
He’s sending her to talk to the same vacuum cleaner guy from the end of BB that helps people disappear

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This describes something I didn't even notice. Jimmy IS going to see a shrink, until he realizes that if Hamlin is seeing one and is still that hosed up, what's the point?

Except he still technically needs to see one, despite what he thinks, and the PPD officer plays the role of one, inadvertently.

Well done.
Yeah I liked that little scene with the PPD officer where Jimmy just starts talking like he’s in therapy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I also got a bit of a Gale vibe from the German guy, where his grouchiness and nausea was slowly replaced by feelings of trepidation and excitement. He's not sure he's up to the task, but he's grateful for being given the opportunity and will certainly do his best. That's exactly the kind of guy whose loyalty Gus knows how to win, and he was pretty clearly sold by the time Gus spoke to him in perfect German.
Yeah I did get the same Gale vibe. He’s clearly competent and not as interested in bragging as the other engineer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Dammit, I want to see some Hank and Gomey before Walt and Jesse.
I do wonder if one or both of those guys will show up either at the end of this season or the next.

Did they confirm that the appearance of the 'major Breaking Bad character' they had been hinting at was Gale? He was only in the one scene so I would hope that was not what they meant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What, nobody cared about dead commercial lady from Season 1?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wake_N_Bake posted:

When we look back, this is the episode that Wexler-McGill failed.
Kim is making the correct decision for her. She has her poo poo together but Jimmy can’t even practice law for I think he said 10 more months. The added bonus was her finding a way to help Mesa Verde while also doing her pro bono work.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I hope Jimmy rustled Howard enough to fix up HHM. For some reason I'm really cheering for Howard at this point, something I never thought I'd ever say. Jimmy's a fairly good dude in his own way, he hates seeing Howard so depressed and needed to give him a pep talk. I think it's unsettling to Jimmy to see Howard and HHM in decay like that.
Jimmy’s right though, that Howard was the salesman of HHM and not the legal mind. The firm just may not be able to survive without Chuck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Jimmy's pep talk wasn't addressed at Howard. He was pretty clearly psyching himself up to go all in on his new criminal law scheme.
It can be both

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Last night I watched the episode of BB where they decide to cook in tented houses and Saul says he’s been pulling the Vamanos pest people out of legal trouble for five years.
I think someone caught that the guy Jimmy hired to steal the Hummel was one of the Vamanos guys.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nude posted:

I think this season finale will show us what happens with Jimmy and Kim.

Although to the show's credit I have no clue what that will be. They hinted at the partner thing again and perhaps something there will be the last straw for Jimmy.
It feels like they may be done by the end of this season. Or at least in the process of breaking up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

it'd be funny if it got more seasons than bb. doubtful since all signs point to the series wrapping with 5, but still.
It does feel especially in this episode like things are moving fast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Remember the scene where she stopped to take a look at the framed thank-you note from one of her clients? What if she's gonna gin up a bunch of cutesy "thank you Huell" messages and drawings to create the narrative he does charity work or something with kids.
Yeah that makes the most sense to me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think he gets that money in time to spend it on the Saul Goodman deal. At this point in time he is mostly broke (although I guess he is saving the cell phone money for an office space).

It does continue to crack me up that no matter how much money he earns he still drives that same car

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Never Follow Lalo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's a section under Contact Us that lets you put in an email for updates

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I now think that it's unlikely that something seriously tragic happens to Kim. Maybe they split up, maybe they are forced to split up, but it doesn't seem like she's going to end up dead. Saul in Breaking Bad does not seem dead enough inside for that to have happened.
Every time this show acts like we're about to see the full descent into Saul they pull back up. I'm wondering how many seasons they planned for.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

clown shoes posted:

Lalo: "You're gonna die."
Yeah that line was (seemingly intentionally) foreboding.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

timp posted:

Was anybody else surprised at Nacho's place of residence? Looks like some sort of nice-rear end house stocked with rooms for Salamancas and their, uh, groupies. I guess that makes perfect sense, but for some reason those were not the digs I was expecting for a low-to-mid level drug dealer from a Mexican crime family to have.
He clearly makes a lot of money and we did have that time skip of 9-10 months since the last time he appeared.

He seemed completely uninterested in the women and I’m not sure why he would let them in there though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Last Chance posted:

do both of you realize that nacho is now a drug kingpin in ABQ and how silly the question "why does this drug dealer have a large house with women :confused:" is?
No i get that, I’m just saying that he seems to have them there out of obligation. Like he’s playing the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m amazed Kai is still alive after all the poo poo he has pulled