Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

NowonSA posted:

Renewed for season 5, so one less thing to worry about!

Phew. It took a long time for Season 4 to be greenlit so this is great news.

I really, really want to see the final season - whenever it may be - be entirely or mostly set in the post-BB future as it transitions to color finally, and Jimmy/Saul/Gene finally takes charge of his life again and stops living in fear, even if whatever happens after that isn't a happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It turns out Gene isn't actually Jimmy, but just a replicant with implanted memories to keep him from trying to leave his dead-end job.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Eiba posted:

Jesus Christ. This show. :smith:

Remember when people thought this show was going to be a comedy spinoff?

That was literally the original pitch so you can't blame people for expecting it. It was also supposed to be 30 minutes not 60 minutes. Gilligan changed his mind/execs mind along the way.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm loving that increasingly the Gene stuff is becoming more plot heavy and showing he can't hide forever. The shows final act should definitely be set in that timeline.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

eke out posted:

at this point i want to know what happened to Kim in the present more than I want to see him deal with the many, many crimes he's running from

I mean, hopefully that's part of it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I love this show but I agree the Jimmy and Mike stuff is way too separate. And because supposedly Saul didn't even know who Gus was, I doubt they'll ever really intertwine. Jimmy will just start using Mike more for fixer type stuff on the side.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I will say this, and it's something I never thought I'd say in the first season: Howard may be the most decent person in this show aside from Kim. I feel pretty bad for him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh, Better Call Saul season 4 is currently $3 on Amazon.

It's just the first episode.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Data Graham posted:

Good point. He’s totally gonna give it all to charity and leave jimmy unmentioned, isn’t he.

Charity, that's a good one. Someone with the attitude of "people don't change" probably actively hates poors.

He'll leave the money to his Alma mater and maybe an orchestra or something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chris James 2 posted:

From the dialogue I posted of his last exchange with Jimmy, I didn't get the sense he genuinely believed "people don't change" so much as I got the sense he genuinely believed Jimmy is incapable of it, at least positive change

Can't say there's been much evidence to the contrary in that regard so far

At the end of the first season he specifically said "People don't change!"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Data Graham posted:

It would be pretty crazy for BCS to outlast BB anyway.

I disagree just because they could absolutely do a whole season of just Gene becoming Jimmy again at the end. I could see this season leading into him becoming Saul, next season being him flourishing in that role, and season six being Gene's redemption.

They haven't ruled out doing BB-era stuff so that could be another season but I think that could just be wrapped up as an episode or so, with some time jumps. BB does cover 2 years, it's not ridiculous to see what's actually happening in Jimmy's life at that time. Saul is clearly a character.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dr. Despair posted:

odenkirk has basically confirmed that BB-era stuff is coming in interviews, it's just a matter of when

Yeah so there's easily 7 seasons if they want.

Season 4: ends with Jimmy becoming Saul (needs to cover a year)
Season 5: Saul solidifies his practice. Ends with Walt walking in the door. If this happens you can bank on the season 6 renewal too.
Season 6: The events of breaking bad from Jimmy's perspective, and what's going on with Kim etc. Ends with Jimmy having to leave abruptly.
Season 7: The redemption of Gene somehow (be the ending happy or not)

They could stretch out for more but I feel like this would be a nice outline thematically and wouldn't overstay the welcome.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 8, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Durzel posted:

I get the sense that the problem is that Gus's backstory isn't really relevant to anything for two reasons - we already know pretty much everything we need to know about it from BB (the flashback to when his business partner was shot by Hector) and it doesn't involve Jimmy, or even anyone else relevant in BCS.

We know Mike was Saul's PI, and was involved with Gus too, so there's plenty of tracks for the show to go down with him. Plus Mike was pretty taciturn in BB so it's been refreshing to see him more fleshed out (his turn in "Five-O" was amazing).

if I had one criticism of the show it would be that I find it a bit hard to believe that Mike was this involved with Lydia pre-BB. You never got a sense that they knew eachother at all in BB (she calls him "your partner" here, for example). It's not quite fan service, but it feels like its riding the line a bit with it. Equally if Jesse or Walt pop up in the show I really hope it is completely incidental and fleeting, rather than it feeling like there's six degrees of separation between everyone we've seen in both shows. I have confidence in Vince Gilligan that it won't get that bad though.

I can't find the scene where Lydia is speaking to Mike in a diner before the clip you have here, but I got the distinct impression they were very familiar with one another. Which is precisely why Lydia came to him to get rid of the other guys, and why she knew he was the most dangerous one and offered the one dude more money to take Mike out.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The thing I hate most about this show is that I can't talk about it with anybody because I know exactly one person who watches it. My fiancee won't even watch it despite my begging, and she loved breaking bad and suffered all the way through Dexter. How did it ever get renewed for a fifth season?

Maybe the BB era scene this year involves Walt and the execs are anticipating that piquing interest again.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

MightyJoe36 posted:

I don't get that she loved BB but refuses to watch BCS. I couldn't wait for Episode 1 and I've been hooked since.

Preaching to the choir here my friend. Though I did have a hard time with the slower pace of the show during the first season. By now I know the payoff is always coming.

The first big reveal during Pimento was better than any twist/reveal in BB, IMO. Because in retrospect, it makes so much sense, but the setup was very subtle, so much so that I didn't feel dumb for not guessing it. Not to mention the cinematic tricks of having Chuck sitting beside Jimmy in almost every shot where they were together at that table, and Howard *always* being off by himself.

I only started suspecting once Howard said "close the door."

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 9, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. The Mike doing Mike poo poo is some really good visual storytelling.

Agree again and pointed out a lot of other really excellent shows that do this sort of thing. HBO shows are sort of famous for it and I had even forgotten about Six Feet Under. Like I said, I think the writers know that the viewers already know the conclusions for the most part so they don't really have to write it that way. BCS works for me. Just wish I had some way to watch it now since I have no cable. Watched the previous seasons on Netflix but that's gonna take a while.

EDIT:

I was holding out hope that Chuck's space blankets saved him from the fire.

AMC makes each episode available on their website for 30 days free with no login. There are ads but for us non cable havers it'll do.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Blind Pineapple posted:

The big difference between BCS and BB is that the stakes felt a lot higher in BB because every character was in near-constant danger. Due to the prequel nature of BCS, most of the main characters are in no peril at all because we know they have to live to a certain point (Jimmy, Mike, Gus), or are in too much peril because their proximity to Jimmy makes it unrealistic that they would be non-existent in the BB timeline (Chuck, Kim, Howard). That isn't to say the journey isn't enjoyable, but there is an element of predetermination to BCS whereas BB was uncapped.

On the pro-BCS side, I think another key difference is that all the main characters in this show are highly intelligent, which lends itself to snappier dialogue and more intricate cat and mouse situations. BB derives a lot of its power from the raw emotion of average people being thrust into chaotic situations they aren't mentally prepared to handle.

It really just depends what type of suspense you're looking for in your tv shows, sudden and chaotic, or slow and calculating.

Its entirely possible that Kim and Howard are around, and Saul may even be going home as Jimmy to Kim each day. It may not be the likeliest, but it's possible. We only see Saul in BB in his professional capacity dealing with Walt and his associates.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought the point of that scene was that HHM couldn't afford to buy Chuck out of the company without bankrupting itself, which was what Chuck was threatening, and Howard stepped in and threw in his own personal money to buy Chuck out to keep HHM alive. I.e., this was an under the table type of deal not involving HHM. From my understanding Chuck officially renounced his retirement (out of his own "free will") so why would his estate still be co-owners of HHM? If I quit my job I don't get to keep my severance package you know?

It's different when you own 1/3 of the company. They'll need to buy his estate out.

Retiring means he can't draw a paycheck but is still entitled to profits after everyone is paid. And he would still have a vote on major company decisions.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Are they inflating the value of Hummel figures for the show? Because while they're expensive, from looking around there's no figure worth anywhere near what the bavarian boy supposedly was. In fact the bavarian boy is only worth a couple hundred. Plus this is 2003 era money which should be worth less.

...oh god am I that guy now?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm not sure you looked very hard as there are tons of eBay listings in the thousands. Doesn't mean they're worth that much but at least people are trying to sell them for that much and that's what Jimmy was looking at.

Well for this one in particular this is listed highest price to lowest. Maybe these should be scooped up if BCS is going to ratchet them up...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bavarian+boy+hummel&_sacat=0&_sop=16

However, if I search by just any old hummel and order it from high to low I see other ones can be listed for a lot more. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-HUMME...&LH_TitleDesc=0

However, I did look at a Hummel price guide and nothing had a fair market value over ~2k or so.

edit: I just read somewhere that they're not really worth what they used to because old people who loved them are dying and nobody who's younger really gives a poo poo. So I guess it's a better scam in Jimmy's time.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 15, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I just mean hummels in general. I don't know why you'd expect that level of accuracy about the specific figure.

Well just searching eBay none were coming up in the thousands but it looks like there are a few people in denial who still list them for that much. You just have to literally order price high to low to find them.

edit: anyway, I really have a hard time figuring out Jimmy's motivation for not taking the job particularly if he wants to have Mike steal the figure. Having some inside information on the place could be helpful.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 15, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

boop the snoot posted:

Howard is what Gus would be if he decided to be a lawyer instead of a drug lord.

Howard actually has empathy and shame though, I don't think being a lawyer would do that for Gus.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Durzel posted:

Based on what? The fact Max said that Gus was his partner and that he "needed him" ? Walt has said that about Jesse several times.

What else is there that is leading you to feel like Gus and Max were lovers besides wish fulfillment?

For starters, Giancarlo Esposito has said that's his interpretation. Also Gus mentions having a family but we never see them. It's very likely they don't exist because he has no interest in women, or anyone else besides Max.

Revenge for Max was so high on Gus's mind, it consumed his entire life. All the things he had didn't give him anywhere near the joy torturing Hector did. Why not just kill him? He had to take away everything - the way Hector had taken away everything from him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I still enjoy the show but the fact it's sort of like three shows that only occasionally brush against one another is a big negative. As stated, we're well into the fourth season now. Every season I think that "next year is the year it all comes together" and it never is. It shouldn't need Breaking Bad to make it make sense.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It seems like Mike has jumped straight to being Gus's number one dude trusted with director-level responsibility(budget, resources, policy) because he can pester some guys about not wearing lift belts and straps on cargo, good on him

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ornithology posted:

Really surprised that some people would've prefered a 'case of the week' style show with the cariacture Saul Goodman rather than what we got. It's also odd that this would be the expectation given the style and pacing of Breaking Bad.

This keeps being said and I'll keep saying: the reason it was the expectation is that was literally both the original pitch and what was reported. It was going to be a half hour comedy. At some point they added Jonathan Banks and said it was actually going to be an hour-long drama.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

sticksy posted:

I’ve been wondering how he loses it terribly as he’s never shown as Saul in B.B. to have much wealth.

I'm not sure how you reach this conclusion, all of his bench ads, TV ads, billboards, etc. cost a shitton of money. I'm pretty sure he has an office in a strip mall because that's the kind of place his target demographic would want to go.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm usually quite patient for this show but Kim buying a bunch of crayons and poo poo and then saying "I have a better way" then cut to black is the slowest slow burn that's ever burned on this show. I don't think I've ever been so mad to see the credits.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

Stop literally whatever you’re doing in your life and fix that ASAP. Of course watch Twin Peaks season 1, 2 and Fire Walk With Me first if you haven’t already.

Man oh man was it hard to get through season two but agreed.

quote:

I am no longer Jimmy McGill. From now on, I will henceforth be known as Saul Goodman, criminal *winks at camera* lawyer. This is the moment that I, Saul Goodman, am born.

*Jimmy staggers backwards after knocking Howard out of a window with his lawyer skills*

"What have I done?" He sits down.

Bill looks down at him and smiles. "You are fulfilling your destiny...petty with a prior."

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 21, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

timp posted:

Yeah that was a nice called shot. When Jimmy was paying randos to write letters on the bus I was like "hey that one goon guessed it right! :unsmith:" Also really glad they didn't go with the faking mental retardation theory that was being floated in this thread because honestly I could see the show doing that to illustrate how grimy Saul is going to get and maybe alienate Kim a bit. But what actually shook out was so much better.

So there's a part of me that's a bit disappointed that Kim is going full-tilt with Slippin' because this means that, when she inevitably falls (speculation from her absence in BB) there will likely be more blame on her shoulders directly rather than Jimmy loving up and dumping something she doesn't deserve on her. This seems to be a much kinder and less tragic path to Saul Goodman.

And I, too, fear for Werner :ohdear:

Kim isn't in Breaking Bad because it isn't her story.

I think it makes it interesting if she's at home waiting for Saul each night and then one day he has to leave town and never speak to her again.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It was an american dude asking for a heefeeweetsen, and the original asker was wondering if a hefeweizen would be something that a lovely New Mexico dive would have/a dive patron would recognize/a dive bartender would know about in 2004.

I'm not a beer guy but I grew up about two hours from the NM border and it's a fair question. It's a region where everyone loves beer with "lite" in its name and saying the word "lager" would draw blank stares.

I think it's entirely possible personally.

The difference is nowadays there are a lot of bars where asking such a question would get you a "which one"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Huelle and Kuby: The Real A Team

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Lol, there is no consensus, about anything. Where did those girls in nachos house come from?????

one becomes Jane, the other becomes Andrea.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Finally watched the season finale and holy poo poo. The ending for Werner, who shares a name with Heisenberg, mirroring the Learn'd Astronomer and then followed up by a scene with Gale...it was amazing.

I was less happy with Jimmy's ending because they'd been implying that actually Kim liked scamming people for the past two episodes. She talked leading into the hearing and coming out like playing the audience was a goal, yet somehow she was appalled that Jimmy did just that. I think the writers can't decide if she's slippin or not.

Nacho died on the way back to his planet.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

And the Western Union guy wouldn't be dead for no reason. Good job Mike.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Data Graham posted:

“Knocked out” is one of those things that gets used an awful lot as a narrative device in fiction but it hardly ever happens in real life, nor is it something with specific predictable mechanisms.

See: when Chris tries to knock out a waiter with a brick on The Sopranos.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Solice Kirsk posted:

He won't get a happy ending. He'll wind up in jail.

Few pages back, but I think especially in the universe of the show, there's plenty of ways he could get off. What evidence is there? Forensic evidence of him cooking for them would be circumstantial, and he'll have just as much evidence that he was forced to. As far as his confession tape which the cops will find at the ranch, it's filmed in Hank's living room with no one to corroborate that he was read his rights or anything, or that it wasn't coerced at gunpoint. Any good lawyer would get that tossed immediately.

And by a good lawyer, I mean a good criminal lawyer.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Still disappointed about how Omar went out, but it's all in the game I guess.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Entropic posted:

Omar getting some big badass epic exit would have been a betrayal of the spirit of the show.

Yeah I know, hence the second part of my statement.

Also everything everyone else said in spoilers is very much on-point, it's a good end for the character just I had a twinge of wanting him to get better - but I'm glad the show doesn't indulge that like others would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I was ready to be mad until I remembered the new season is season 5. Six is good. I just hope we get at least like one full Gene episode at the end to see what the gently caress happens to him. It's been years of teasing and if Jesse gets a denouement it's only proper for Jimmy.