Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jesus the tension level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"Well Howard, that's your cross to bear."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

I'm loving that increasingly the Gene stuff is becoming more plot heavy and showing he can't hide forever. The shows final act should definitely be set in that timeline.

at this point i want to know what happened to Kim in the present more than I want to see him deal with the many, many crimes he's running from

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

I will say this, and it's something I never thought I'd say in the first season: Howard may be the most decent person in this show aside from Kim. I feel pretty bad for him.

patrick fabian really has done a great job with that character - you dislike howard in part because jimmy hates him so much, then you progressively realize that that jimmy actually just hates himself and howard is generally a guy trying to do right

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Kim is legitimately my favorite character on television.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my main hope at this point is that Kim dying tragically is a far too easy and obvious narrative option for her character

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Pollos reveal was the moment that familiarity with Breaking Bad became essential to enjoyment of Better Call Saul.

Insider Podcast is up, by the way.

i had no idea this podcast existed, thanks!

re: what's going on in Jimmy's head, they say that he hates himself, is behaving erratically, and the audience is basically correct to not understand it ("I wrote the Groucho Marx line about not wanting to belong to any club that'll have me in the script")

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They're both super protective of each other.

and jimmy's been almost literally mothering her while she's in the post-crash depression

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do they still spend half the podcast constantly praising staff?

yeah definitely a love fest.

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 14, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Does kim have much criminal background? Lawyers are generally pretty hyper-focused and kim seems to be more banking/finance focused.

hamlin mcgill was doing white collar criminal defense for the Kettlemans presumably, but other than that yeah I don't really think Kim is doing much (or, currently, any) criminal work at all

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i hope nacho's ending isn't too tragic when it comes :smith:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

It was not my INTENTION for you to feel upset

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hello gail

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Was Kim crying because she read the letter beforehand and knew Jimmy was bullshiting?

It really said "Brother I have hated you since you were born and I am ashamed of you. gently caress you from beyond the grave."

i'm just going to quote the av club because donna bowman said it better than whatever i'd write

quote:

What this excruciating final scene drives home is that Jimmy really does not understand the consequences of being in a relationship. He has dealt with his Chuck problem as if he is a free agent. But the way he reads that final letter — ice cold, brittle, flippant — shows that he’s turned his heart into stone. And he never even thinks that Kim, who cares for him, wants to be there for him, even tried to protect him from Chuck’s passive-aggressive last twist of the knife, might be hurt by his utter rejection of human feeling. He’s decided to go it alone when it comes to dealing with the past and moving forward. He doesn’t see that this shuts Kim out and makes her feel like a fool for caring, for trying.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Selachian posted:

Yeah. I suspect her preoccupied attitude after the meeting at Mesa Verde was more because she suspects that Good Ol' Kevin is up to something, with his sudden plans to build big elaborate branches in a dozen cities at once and then take over the entire West. And I'd guess she wanted to go to the courthouse to look into Mesa Verde's records and try to figure out what's really going on.

also the odds that she can handle a huge rapid national expansion, even if it is possible, alone are pretty low.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rexides posted:

Judging from the way she looked at the Mesa Verde logo/cowboy/statue at the end of that scene, I think she is overwhelmed by a sense of accomplishment. In the last (few?) months she quit her job, had to fight against her old employer to keep her client, overworked herself almost to death, and it suddenly dawned on her that it was all worth it in the end and there is meaning in her work.

i'm pretty sure it's exactly the opposite, her sole client that was already working her to death announced a massive, "aggressive" expansion into like a dozen states that there's no way she can handle.

she's not disassociating out of joy and satisfaction in that scene lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

"Jimmy I have a confession"

"What is it?"

"I wrote that letter you thought was from Chuck."

"What? How could you do this?"

"I don't know?"

"Why not?"

"You see, I have come down with a case of explosive amnesia."

and Jimmy doesn't have a clue about Kim's evil twin (Evil Kim) yet

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

I see no evidence or reason to believe Gus and Gail were ever romantic. Gus bankrolled his education as a way to have a PhD chemist on his payroll when the time came to set up The Lab, and for such a long-term project of course he wants to maintain at least friendly relations between them. Gail is just his hetero-lifemate guys :rolleyes:

yeah i agree that it does not read as secret romantic affection, but rather that Gail is a good employee who is doing his job in Gus's larger scheme very well. it makes a lot of sense to be very friendly and continue to cultivate that relationship for a variety of reasons.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

We’re starting to see the seeds of why Stacy seems so distant to Mike in Breaking Bad. He really wasn’t happy to hear that she’s not thinking about his son as much anymore.

my takeaway was the reverse, that it was self-loathing there: he's doing the same thing she described, except he doesn't even recognize it and feel guilty anymore except when she brings it up.

he didn't come to that session because of his grief over his dead son or to support his daughter-in-law, he came because he wanted to show off by owning a liar in front of his quasi-girlfriend

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 28, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

massive spider posted:

We don’t know exactly what his orders were from gus. It’s probable that the Salamanca strike was “supposed” to be successful so they could hand over their territory to Gus, so when they went in like idiot cowboys and he saw reinforcements arriving he had to step in and make it so.

Nachos caught between two sides but the twins dying because of his failure pisses off both.

unless he had the keys to that car, it seems like there's a pretty reasonable chance he gets killed too if the twins were to lose

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in my opinion, the show is actually very good and these posts that want it taken away from us

Ditocoaf posted:

Now I'm kinda hoping that they wrap up BCS in as few seasons as possible, so I can see the people behind the show move on to make new things. All this incredible talent, this stunning quality of writing, filmmaking and acting, built around a core spine of "man, it's too bad Breaking Bad had to end. Can we pretend it didn't end?".

are not.

also: i listened to the most recent podcast and i definitely did not expect the cousins to have voices that sounded like that

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's weird how people the show is about jimmy mcgill when it's obviously the story of Kim Wexler, the best character in the franchise, and her no-good boyfriend

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Either too cocky, or Gus was mad that he just dropped information on a past client with almost no prompting. He wouldn't want a guy who's going to talk about turning an industrial laundromat into a SUPERLAB in the future.

that makes a lot of sense actually, i didn't get it either

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah finally jimmy is doing some crucial networking

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

kim the ethical thing to do is probably just tell Mesa Verde you can't represent them anymore

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh howard good lord

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Huh? Can you explain? I’m curious and don’t want to waddle through 20 min of them saying how fantastic their staff is.

the lady who plays Paige in BCS was talking about voice acting gigs - she was one of the NPCs in that series

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

"Well, we're being given the signal to wrap up. I just want to get one quick thing in that I liked the superlab survey scenes. Ok, who's going to say "better call saul" this week?"

lol it's so weird how people itt have this complex about a podcast that's like, happy and collegial, to the point that the main criticism is they're just all being too damned friendly!!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the cold open with jimmy and kim flirting while passing out mail, then the restaurant scene combined to be incredible. especially where he leaves the table and hyperventilates as the restaurant noises swell up around him, then smash cut sitting back down and telling kim of course she should do it and it'd be wrong of him to ask otherwise.

they legitimately have done a hell of a job with this couple throughout multiple seasons, i can't put my finger on exactly why it's so good (apart from rhea seehorn being brilliant) but it's managed to be unlike any other relationship i've seen depicted on tv.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Data Graham posted:

This is the rabbit hole that I ended up down:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouteria_lucuma

ohh that makes a lot of sense, i was wondering what fruit that was when he said it tasted like caramel

quote:

Its unique flavor in such preparations has been described variously as being similar to sweet potato, maple syrup, or butterscotch.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Kai put himself on Mike’s shitlist. People who get on there tend to end up proving that they deserve everything that’s coming to them. Jesse is the only one who made it off of there, and I guess we’ll have to wait and see how much loyalty lies beneath Kai’s disruptive behavior.

we haven't seen Mike develop an improbable pseudo-son on this show yet, i'm hoping for a bizarre bond with the dumb german

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I know most people credit Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul's success to Vince Gilligan, but there's also a full writing room, and he's co-showrunner with Peter Gould on BCS. This is not really related to Kai or German prostitutes, just something that I thought was worth keeping in mind, especially considering how much these shows appear to benefit from ignoring the auteur structure.

on their podcast there's a surprising (to me at least) amount of "Hey, how'd you do [some scene Gilligan thinks was cool]?" I get the impression his role is more limited to running the writer's room than managing as much of the day-to-day stuff as he did on Breaking Bad.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that's a good point, he didn't get any teens drunk

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Huell is the best.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oh no this is not good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

a lot of the interviews with writers/showrunners about Kim discuss how we've seen her genuinely enjoy conning people, how there's a certain dark streak in her that makes her more like Jimmy than she often wants to admit (perhaps due to something in her past, which we know very little about), and how she's not someone who's there to play the stereotypical role of trying to 'save' her corrupt boyfriend.

i think Kim just leaving him or them breaking up because Jimmy has decided to be a Bad Guy is the really obvious move here, and it's going to be something else more complicated than that

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

Jimmy laying low in Texas for some reason

he's gotta mail these from lots of different places i assume

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dr. Despair posted:

good ole slippin' kimmy

:five:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

finally, all the thread's serious LaloHeads can be happy

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Incidentally, anyone else feel like they've done a good job of showing that as a couple they're very... insular? Like, obviously TV shows very rarely have incidental friends who aren't relevant to the plot since that costs money and time and poo poo but like, early in Breaking Bad they had parties with lots of people and you got the impression Skylar and Walt had you know, lives outside of what we were seeing. Whereas I've kinda gotten the impression that Kim and Jimmy kinda don't have much else going on outside of their work and each other, also I feel like the actress who plays Kim sometimes plays her as the kind of person who gets on with people professionally but doesn't form friendships particularly easily. Just like, another reason why she's throwing so much in with Jimmy maybe.

this is a good point and while we do a lot of talking about kim's future, we know very little about her past - she's seemingly totally devoid of casual friends and, unless i'm forgetting something, we never see her talking to family, talking about family, nothing.

i feel like we're at the point where we're overdue for some backstory about what her life before HHM looked like and why she decided to become an attorney in like, her early 30s i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

timp posted:

Did they explain who the legal assistants (paralegals? junior associates?) with Kim were in the meeting with the Asst. DA? She couldn't have roped in actual time and resources from Schweikert and Cokely, could she? Were they more film students or something? Law students from the community college down the road?

they were definitely associates from her firm, presumably junior. i imagine spending an hour of your time for a show of force as a personal favor to a partner like Kim is a no-brainer