Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Edit: Or finding out exactly what Gus did in Chile. I really, really don't ever want an actual answer because some things are more fun if you don't know.

Same. I'm really curious as to what he did in Chile and why everyone fears/respects him, but I feel like it's better left as a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

The thing I hate most about this show is that I can't talk about it with anybody because I know exactly one person who watches it. My fiancee won't even watch it despite my begging, and she loved breaking bad and suffered all the way through Dexter. How did it ever get renewed for a fifth season?

Maybe the BB era scene this year involves Walt and the execs are anticipating that piquing interest again.

I don't get that she loved BB but refuses to watch BCS. I couldn't wait for Episode 1 and I've been hooked since.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

Saul also thought of Mike as "his" PI and didn't seem to know Mike was really workings for Gus.

I remember him setting Walt up with Gus telling him that he "knows a guy who knows a guy" so I'm guessing his only connection to Gus was through Mike.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

A recurring theme in these shows is about pride being people's downfalls. I'm seeing shades of Walter White in Gus lately, he's obsessed with Hector and sees himself as the only rightful arbiter of his fate, for what he "deserves". If Gus could just be satisfied with the old gently caress dying in a hospital bed he'd be so much better off come breaking bad, in fact most of his problems would not exist. Much like if Walter had just taken his rich friend's help and job offer he'd never have had to turn to becoming a awful meth man, but his pride didn't allow him.

Jimmy again keeps loving himself over out of some sense of pride or identity loving over great jobs and potentials, so did Chuck, his extremely rigid "morality" was so tied up with his pride and probably a big factor in his mental illness. Even now, is Mike really doing this security consulting because he thinks it makes for a better cover rather than laying low, or is this based on a sense of pride that he needs to be doing "real work" to "earn" his laundered money? And how will that work out for him in the end?

Howard though has been almost totally robotically corporate, everything he's done has been in a fairly reasonable best interest for the firm. The dickish personal things we thought he did were all at the behest of Chuck, who he had to placate for the good of the firm. Howard as a drug kingpin would be unstoppable, he would not let anything be personal, only do what's in the best interest of his operation.

When Jimmy got his law license suspended for a year, he could have just worked for Kim as a paralegal/assistant and she wouldn't have been burning the candle at both ends trying to juggle two major clients by herself.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Agent Escalus posted:

Keep in mind, Jimmy's verbal response is "The guy knew how to write a letter." He knows that it was all just a pleasantry, "just to be nice", a show on Chuck's part, etc.

And correct me if I'm misremembering; didn't Chuck only line Jimmy up with the mailroom job at the behest of their mother? He didn't "give an opportunity", he did it out of (his sense of) prodigal son obligation. Otherwise he'd have been fine with leaving Slippin' Squat Cobbler Jimmy in Cicero Jail without a second thought.

Wouldn't that be Slippin' Chicago Sunroof Jimmy?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

boop the snoot posted:

Walter wrote the letter.

Using Mike's voice.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Douk Douk posted:

I love how slow this show is and I wish more TV had the balls to take its time and not underestimate its viewers' intelligence.

:same:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

precision posted:

what if they do something like throw continuity out the window and make this an alternate side-universe to BB

i would love it if they had the balls to do that. do something crazy like kill off Gus or Mike and make it so that the end state is not a known quantity anymore

This would be cool and original. But, we already know that's not going to happen because we know that Jimmy ends up as Gene managing the Cinnabon.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

This keeps being said and I'll keep saying: the reason it was the expectation is that was literally both the original pitch and what was reported. It was going to be a half hour comedy. At some point they added Jonathan Banks and said it was actually going to be an hour-long drama.

Although I'm really enjoying the show as it is, I would totally watch a half-hour comedy with Saul and his client(s) of the week.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

galenanorth posted:

The camera was panning to show Kim squeezing a stressball before cutting to the public defender scenes

I think that was a rehab exercise ball since she just got her cast taken off.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jimmy and Kim aren't gonna be together much longer, are they? :smith:

As they were driving back from the party, I turned to my wife and said "Their relationship is circling the drain."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Javid posted:

I think this is the key. Kim didn't (mostly) get her jollies from scamming the court, she got fulfilled by springing a dude who was legitimately innocent but being railroaded by a dickhole cop and a DA who thinks she has an easy conviction.

I wouldn't say "legitimately innocent." He did assault a police officer. The way the DA was being lovely was in the disparaty of the charges. Pushing for max jail time when the last six(?) people who went to trial over the same thing got no more than suspended sentences or probation.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Oh snap, what if it was post Breaking Bad and it's about Saul after the statute of limitations runs out?

I don't think he's hiding out from the cops/feds. I think he's hiding out from the Nazis.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

No he's definitely hiding from the authorities. Hence all the shredding. Walt was exposed and it was only a matter of time before Saul was investigated as his attorney.

Good point, I had forgotten about that. I was just thinking about the first episode of BCS where we first see Gene in the Cinnabon and we see him almost have a heart attack because that tough looking dude came walking up and Gene thought he recognized him, like he was getting ready to be whacked.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Doltos posted:

That's why it's all stupid bullshit. It's obvious to everyone but Jimmy that he was supposed to talk about Chuck which makes the whole process useless. It meant nothing he said at all mattered unless he issued an untrue apology for the Chuck saga.

That's the irony of the whole thing. They didn't reinstate him because he came off as insincere but had he been really insincere - dropping Chuck's name - he would have been reinstated.

Kim told him as much. Sounds like she knows how the game is played better than Jimmy.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Gus is going to sit them all down and make them shake hands.

Maybe the vegetables will be eaten this time.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Javid posted:

I can see Kim betraying him in some way, and he just loving annihilates her like they did Chuck's credibility, and his surrender to the dark side is then complete.

One thing I noticed on re-watch that I didn't catch before is how much of a bad influence Kim also is on Jimmy. More than once she just gets done berating Jimmy for not giving his job at Davis and Main a chance, or cutting corners doing something "extra legal", then in the next scene she's calling him up from a bar wanting him to partner with her in a petty scam. She also seems like she doesn't really know what she wants. She gets her own cushy job, then she's in court trolling for public defender clients.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Maybe he recognized him from a Better Call Saul commercial.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

The cab driver thinks he's got Kevin Costner as a fare.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

Lone Gunmen HD remaster + new Netflix season when?

Didn't they all die in an X-Files episode?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Selachian posted:

Saul showed Walter how to launder his profits (at least, until they got too big to launder through the car wash), helped Jesse cover up Jane's death, and he was also the one who introduced Walter to Fring in the first place. I'm sure that would have been enough to allow the feds to dig through his business, and who knows what other, non-Walter-related, crimes he was involved in.

When Mike was being shadowed by the feds - Hank and Gomie - Saul was representing him with his "harassment suit" against them. I'm sure that was enough to put him on their radar when the whole thing blew up.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

He did. But if you're good at watching TV, he quite literally is working for Gus during Breaking Bad. Also a good chance he's the middle man between Saul and Gus. And having him clean up Jessie's mess isn't exactly a stretch when Gus had just paid him and Walt for their meth not too long before then...

Yeah, when Walt was trying to sell all that meth and Saul said he "knows a guy who knows a guy" I'm thinking it was Mike who was the middle man between him and Gus.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

massive spider posted:

Yeah most of the stuff jimmy has done has been shady borderline. Things like using psychology to get people viewing a case sympathetically and so on, not lysing about the material facts of the case, but moving on to straight up fabricating witnesses would be a step up.

Well he did already fabricate evidence for Squat Cobbler guy.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

To be fair the BCS that was announced was fairly different from what we got.

Wasn't it supposed to be a half-hour comedy about Saul dealing with wacky clients?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

The Vile Stuff posted:

I'm sure we all agree, joking aside, that the next spin-off should be, nay - must be Hamlindigo Blue.

Yes, with Hamlin taking over the meth business in the vacuum left by the death of Walt and the nazis. The DEA starts seeing a new, even more powerful version of the blue meth show up.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised if the BB/BCS universe was already part of that.

Edit: Oh, lookee here...

That's a rabbit hole I think I want to go down.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

oh jay posted:

No need to watch the Office. I'm just ruined it for you.

The hell with the Office. I want to watch the XXX Summer Olympics. :getin:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I hate to be a killjoy but the XXX there is just Roman Numerals for 30, it's the XXX Olympiad, the official name for the 2012 Olympics.

:thejoke:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Yup:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/better-call-saul-final-season-premiere-date-1235090261/

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In a shocking twist, Kim ends up becoming Spooge's annoyed wife

drat, that meth really messes you up.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

ghostwritingduck posted:

Any good recap videos out there for the most recent season? It’s been a while and I’d love a reminder without having to rewatch.

https://youtu.be/7FUfX3u0PFw

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Unless its a comedy, nobody is really interested in just watching a person be an rear end in a top hat all the time.

IDK, House lasted 8 seasons.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, this has been picked up on ever since Kim mentioned where she was from seasons ago.

Also, the one interesting thing about the Gene/Kim/Nebraska thing is that when Ed tells or shows him he'll be going there, Saul asks "What's in Nebraska?".

I bet that's a line the writers wish they could fully retcon.

I think one thing that's being overlooked in speculating about a possible Gene/Jimmy/Kim reunion is that if Kim did use the Vacuum guy to disappear, I doubt she'd go back to Nebraska, where she's actually from.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:suspense:

:tviv:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Astro7x posted:

Marvelous Mrs Maisel did did two episodes at a time. That was kind of nice.

BOSCH: LEGACY is doing that now. I'm fine with it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Lupus Rufus posted:

you say that like Hank isn't insanely racist.

Hank is a stereotype; a racist, sexist, macho cop who ends up being done in by his own hubris.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

counterpoint: everything mike did was really really cool, while walt had like 3 cool moments in his entire life

Attacking those bullies who were making fun of Walt Jr., and blowing up Ken's car are the only two that come to mind.

Maybe coming clean to Skyler in the end and telling her that it wasn't really about taking care of the family, it was that he was really good at something and it made him feel good.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Totally forgot about that one. You're right.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

While BCS is on break, I've been watching two new AMC series:

The Old Man: I'm having a blast watching The Dude as an aging, poor man's Jason Bourne.

Dark Winds: Pretty good so far, and it's re-awakened my interest in learning more about Native American culture.

MightyJoe36 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Also, I may be about the only person on Earth who didn't see BB before watching BCS, but man, am I looking forward to seeing how everything fits together if/when I watch the "sequel".

I did see BB, but when this is all over I plan on doing a re-watch of BCS followed by BB.