Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's a really cool line, to be fair. But yeah, that conversation with Skyler was so obviously Walt trying to re-establish his perceived masculine dominance and they laid it on *real* thick and... it still became a meme. Oh well, happens all the time, no biggie.

I will say, however, that Walt managing to pull off things by the skin of his teeth when his enemies, who are way more experienced than him in the drug and crime business, constantly end up dead on his path *is* kind of badass. Like, dude's an absolute scumbag motivated by pride, but he did pretty well all things considered and could have gotten away with things if he hadn't gotten complacent and high off his own greatness.

I always picture the rise and fall of Walt like the Mongolian Golden Horde. They were extremely successful at upsetting the established order and absolutely handed everyone their asses just by virtue of being really really good at something that was just totally different. The established order, both in the New Mexico drug trade and Middle Ages Asia, was largely set and unchanging. There were a few border changes, territorial disputes, and skirmishes here and there, but over the generations/centuries, things didn't really change all that much.

The Mongolians came along and wiped everybody else off the map. But then they weren't all that good at holding the power they won, and within a relatively short amount of time they were gone and the established order reasserted itself.

https://imgur.com/zE4UMmA

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

large_gourd posted:

i think whatever they are doing with the anti-aging (and obviously the wig) on bob odenkirk is working pretty well. i mean if you really looking obviously his face is a bit older than it was in BB, it's been like 10 years, but the combo of the hair, him being in better shape and the make up at least suspends your disbelief that this is before he becomes the pudgier, paler guy with a comb-over we see in BB. i think jimmy is supposed to be late 30's in this which is a stretch but not too wild.

mike's really obvious if you go back to his earlier BB appearances. the actor passed that age of old, but still spry into this guy is Old during BB and it's kind of ridiculous to think this is the story of mike just becoming a hitman when really he seems like he is on his last legs in BCS. gus also looks much older. not a big deal, i don't really think about it, but since it's being talked about

i think they did a good job hiding his feeble punches in this latest episode though. compare him beating up that gang banger to deniro in the irishman for example

good cinematography goes a long way

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i loved the little moment of that girl tweeking out and him giving her a puzzle to calm her down.

there was no reason for that exchange in the grand scheme of things, but it went a long way in portraying the genuine empathy nacho has

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

did anyone else think saul was using chuck's voice when he put on the space blanket and started walking out into the road?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the writers have pulled a fast one on us in the past with hamlin in regards to his underlying motivations and character.

I'm beginning to suspect that he found out about jimmy informing that insurance clerk (?) about chuck, and that his recent turn towards Buddhism/Pacificism is a defense mechanism - his job offer to jimmy a calculated risk - as he now understands the true extent of saul's destructive potential. hamlin would rather try to control saul from the same side rather than risk hhm become the permanent target of saul's unresolved frustrations with chuck.

like with Schweikart confronting Kim, it's becoming clear that while he's able to get one over on the system, the fat cats aren't fooled by saul's antics.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

another throwback would be in episode one, when the simple act of someone snapping some breadsticks triggers a visceral response in jimmy from earlier that week when he watched tuco break the legs of a couple of skateboarding scammers, in a clear allusion to

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*old robocop smashes his car into the car of the man he's tailing, giving up his identity to the target, likely bringing two independent insurance companies into the equation to investigate the collision, and causing potentially thousands in damages*

"its an old P.I. trick"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

u brexit ukip it posted:

Helix was the best show for this. It starts out promising with the main character going to investigate what is happening at an arctic base, all The Thing-style, then rapidly spins out of control until you watch the characters discuss the base's secret level beneath the sub-basement beneath the actual basement, while everybody is being turned into zombies, or something.

oh poo poo yeah I remember that show! I got into it for the same reason, major The Thing vibes in the beginning, but then it made a rapid descent into like... soap opera/vampire love triangle territory. had to see a physician for symptoms of whiplash after that

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

keep in mind that everything from BCS to BB takes place from like 2002 to 2009. jon stewart was openly mocking trans people on the daily show at the time and "f*g" and "r*tard" were every other word out of peoples' mouths. a lot's changed in 15 years. what we consider verboten now was just kinda in bad taste back then, especially for a lawyer who has been fully immersed in the criminal underbelly of the city for years

does that make late-stage saul a little harder to relate to? absolutely. will they address that particular behavior in gene's eventual redemption arc? probably not.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

tbh i would watch the gently caress out of a season of bcs that dove headfirst into the many-worlds theory of quantum mechanics, completely out of left field

lalo slowly coming to the realization that he's a dimensional god capable of seeing all possible realities simultaneously, which in his lower state of being had previously manifested as preternatural strength/reflexes and miraculously good luck

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

tuco, warmly embracing his [cousin? uncle?]: "i was wondering when you'd wake up"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

in phoenix at least, there's no basements because of the extremely hard soil known as caliche. It makes the financial bottom line of adding basements much higher. basements also tend to be built "while you're there": the foundations of a house have to be below the "freeze line", which is how deep into the ground freezing temperatures penetrate in the winter. In the northeast US, that can be as deep as 6-8 feet. if you have to build your foundations that deep, it's not that much more to just make a basement. in albuquerque, the freeze line is definitely not that deep, so developers there typically aren't going 6 feet down to pour the foundations of a house.

all of this is to say that jesse's parents are rich enough to get a basement in the southwest, perhaps as a status symbol; but still miserly enough to not even bother finishing such an extravagance (even when dropping a cool half-a-mill on renovations in anticipation of selling it)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*Maury Povich voice*

Nacho is NOT going to die

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

christmas boots posted:

The show takes place in an American setting.

American Samoa that is.

Go landcrabs!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

1stGear posted:

Kim is that blonde woman who's house Jesse was sneaking out of in the first episode of BB.

Kim is the woman Hank and Walt Jr. spoke to in that motel parking lot

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Nacho was given guns and clear instructions to use those guns on anyone who came looking. I'm also gonna guess that the "lookout" was also paid to ensure he'd catch a stray bullet if the Salamancas were exercizing unexpected restraint, but also it's possible the plan just wasn't that thought through, it's not like the actual Lalo assassination was a master's course in planning either.

E: I assumed the car at the end was Lalo, but yeah, Hamlin having a PI on a Goodman/Kettleman connection probably makes more sense.

I figured the tail was prob law enforcement. they didn't seem very interested in waiting for the preliminary hearing to figure out where Deguizmon/Lalo was and Saul is their only lead

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

e: nvm read that wrong

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

In case anyone gets their hopes up from this, this season is split in half. The last half will air later.

the last episode airs August 15th so op was right, just about 16 weeks from today

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

By popular demand posted:

He's basically the narrator from Fight Club if he went to law school.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Kuiperdolin posted:

Also we've seen Howard smile, these aren't meth teeth.

counterpoint: rich people love veneers (see: Hunter Biden)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

after everything they had been through together, in retrospect, it was incredibly, incredibly stupid for Saul to tell Walt exactly where he was going to go undercover

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nep-Nep posted:

Close, it was Gale

lmfao hello old friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Takes No Damage posted:

Couple months old but I hadn't seen it before. Some decent BCS chat at 14:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGzkeRHG5Zw

Also Bob crushing those sauces with only a few tears to show for it.

ianad but should Bob be doing this after having a near-fatal heart attack