Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I noticed that the blouse Kim is wearing while marker-shopping is blue with red flecks- leads me to believe she's planning something that's technically above-board but will piss off the legal professional class she's climbing her way into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

eclectic taste posted:

I'm American, but was still confused and wondered why Walt didn't have health insurance through the teacher's union. You'd think that'd be one of the main benefits of being a teacher.

lol

cancer is financially ruinous to families here even if you have the best and most expensive insurance available

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

He mad an Asian massage comment at one point, happy ending implied. But yeah still not the kind of thing you'd expect if Kim were still in his life, at least romantically.

it could reveal that all of his talk of a sleazy lifestyle is just to fit in and he actually has a pretty normal home life outside of the strip mall

also he'd probably lie his rear end off in little ways like that to throw people off the trail of anyone else who he's actually close to

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

gently caress, the idea that Kim's still there in the background of BB is compelling, since of loving course Jimmy isn't going to go 'hello criminals i am saul goodman and live with my lawyer girlfriend who i love very much at 11439 pleasant road west'

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

That is how it is pronounced.

shvyk-hart w/a sort of UK English R, (iirc from classes 20 yrs ago) but as a person living in a place full of native english speakers with Germanic last names shwy-kart is a standard and very mild butchering- Schoenhaufer becomes Shawnafer, Müller becomes Myuller, Werner becomes Wurr-nurr etc etc

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

First time getting pulled out by an apparent anachronism - would a run of the mill dive in early 00s Albuquerque have a hefeweizen?

idk about Albuquerque, but I did a lot of my early bar drinking then in similar podunkdom and a Paulaner import wouldn't be out of place here or there- a lot of places would have the normal slew of domestic pilsner/lagers and one fancy beer, usually Heineken, but it really depends on what some regulars at a bar might want, or if the distributor is pushing a new import or w/e

still a lil while before the beer/cider panoply you see in even the diviest places today, or something like ABQ Brewery Cocopelli Hoppyweizen, tho

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah ok but its probably a fake tourist visa for something like 'caving' or 'going to the desert to learn my humility' or w/e

I mean yeah visa requirements and general feeling about non-americans was extremely nuts in the handful of years post-9/11, and still nuts to this day- but also they're all white Europeans so the standards are real lax there

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

one thing that stuck out to me is that, when Kim and Jimmy have that argument on the parking garage, Jimmy plaintively talks about how he was being completely sincere. Now- we know he kinda did some bullshittery with the 'keeping up with the law' question, but I think he meant that he went into that meeting with an intent to be sincere. And if he'd talked about his brother, his sincerity woulda been ugly- so he kinda lied by omission.

I also think he was sincerely inspired by ol ASU- not like by their stunning legal department, but by the fact that they put out a liferaft for a mailroom guy like him to become a real lawyer

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

NowonSA posted:

Also holy cow that look on Jimmy's face when he says it was all about Chuck the whole time at the end, that's just a pure Saul look right there. Going to be a lot of fun to see the times where he's basically just playing Breaking Bad era Saul, and to see him starting up his new office and finally practicing law again.

lol the way he immediately calls the lady on the board, "sweetheart"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

We need a spin-off investigating why the film students weren't helping Saul during Breaking Bad.

cause they all moved to a little place..... called Cicero

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

lotsa podunk 00s creatives went to Chicago and it's not the strongest correlation for a joke but also it was bad

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

kim wexler -> kim = law = blue = sky -> skyler wex -> wex - ex + height -> skyler white

its all right there, dummies

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

We are still missing a really big part of Jimmy and Chuck's relationship.

easy: theyre brothers

The Ninth Layer posted:

Namely what exactly led to Chuck displaying (or feigning) symptoms? I had originally thought it was related to something Jimmy does to gently caress up his marriage, but the opening scene in the last episode implies Chuck is already divorced by the time Jimmy passes the bar.

It's possible Chuck's condition comes about as some kind of avoidance to having Jimmy as a practicing lawyer, or an attempt by Chuck to ensure he gets sympathy and attention for something distinct from his brother. But I still feel like we haven't been given the whole story here (plus I just want more Chuck scenes!!).

No but really- this is an interesting thread they can pull and yeah a lot of that is more McKean pls
It seems like Jimmy has always been a catalyst for driving his brother up the wall, but at what point does that become intentional? It seems like there's a lot of either just spite or personal gain not being enough to make Jimmy intentionally antagonize his brother, but the two combined seem to push him over that wall

Javid posted:

This would matter except lalo can obviously just skitter along the walls like a xenomorph if he wants to.

It's L.A.L.O. - Light Artificial Lectronic Organism (cue theme of bass guitar and bongos) L.A.L.O.!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

either they cut the scene where Lalo stares at the back of the clerk's head, puts both his hands over his head, does a squat, and launches into the ceiling

or maybe a bunch of goons forgot that people can climb on things

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

idk could be a lil of both
Mike was maybe a lil burned out on naive dorks

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I mean 'gum up the works' isn't an idiom for no reason

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it was a thing when you had a phone but no internet, which is still true for some folks

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it's a bit jerkoffy but if I saw the world's most proficient masturbator in action I gotta say it'd be interesting

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm a big fan of shows not needing to adhere to a strict annual Fall schedule like in the beforetimes

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

as a midwesterner, I'm pleased with BB/BCS pretty much never referencing or setting anything in LA or NYC

I grew up in Kansas City, and elements of Albuquerque remind me of home more than pretty much any show out there- there are, of course, huge differences- the prarie doesn't have the same cultural punch as the desert- but Gilligan has a really good way of portraying these places that most people aren't really familiar with. I can't put a finger on it, but most depictions of middle america seem fake, predicated on stereotypes from either 1970 or 1870, and either unresearched or seen through the lens of someone who is happy to have left it behind

(filming in southern california doesn't help either, but I can look past the trees and infrastructure and lighting being all wrong)

anyway yes do a Kim show where she has to move to fuckin Lenexa both to work as an insurance claims adjuster and to be closer to her aging parents

bonus points if she can only afford to live over in Ruskin Heights or Belton or somewhere cheap that involves a 45-60min commute on a traffic-choked 435

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 12, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

These guys are going to be in their 70's playing early 2000's versions of them selves by the time this drat show finishes.

the Bush era was just that incredibly tiresome to live through

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I think meth in the show is better if it is more pure or something even if that apparently isn't a thing in real life.

isn't it a little bit, tho? or is it the unregulated manner that people consume it that make it so much worse than pharma-grade stuff?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I feel like this is like people saying that hangovers are caused by "impurities" in alcohol

I mean clearly it isn't the alcohol itself

well I mean more like meth as medicine (not adderall amph salts but methamph salts) having way less in the way of side-effects compared to street meth-

but yeah I mean it could just be that if you're prescribed meth you'd be microdosing compared to a recreational user- wonderin if anyone has some insight on this

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

better call saul is like one of two or three weekly TV shows I watch these days and, friends, i am very excited abt it

forgot that it was a 29-day month and thought they were skipping a week with a march air date but nope, its tomorrow!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

what a fuckin great episode

the scene with Saul and Hank was exquisite; Hank, in orange, immediately cluing into 'its all good, man' and seeing through the bullshit- watching Saul's face fall as he struggles with probably his most difficult mark to date- would have been the centerpiece of any other episode, but there was so much to this one!

lalo owns and the ceiling leaping retroactively makes sense

also I didn't hear "hah!" here, I heard "clar'!", but potato potato

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Agent Escalus posted:

When we get to the thread-trend where we list our top...let's say, 5 moments from the series, "DON'T" is definitely one of my selections.

for some reason the one that sticks with me is when he laboriously climbs into a dumpster to get documents, becomes absolutely filthy and worn out, and gives up in abject disappointment before the camera pans over to show the 'paper only' recycling bin

the way the punchline was shot was, to me, the most mr. show that BCS has ever gotten

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There's an entire scene where he chooses the right item to throw at Howard's car based on weight and how easy it is to throw at the start of the episode. If there's any more symbolism, it's lost on me, but in the fiction of the show, he chose that item because it was the best for the job out of all of the ones he tried.

I didn't read much symbolism into it at first but now that I think on it- for decades (p much until video games), bowling was the social center of working-class communites. My parents played in work leagues from the late 70s until ~10 years ago when they increasingly didn't wanna risk injury from repeated and regular play-

when he spots them, it's like an epiphany- he has found the Perfect Item, and maybe he doesn't even really know why. But of course Jimmy (and Saul, if we're to treat them as separate) has always identified more with the working class, the "little guy", than with the elites. He tried blending in with them and it not only didn't work, it hurt his soul, it put him at a distance from his people, the ones he feels true solidarity with.

There is no better symbol to show how offended he is by an attempt to drag him away from the life he's chosen and back into the maw of isolation and alienation than the humble bowling ball, especially to a guy Jimmy's age

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean maybe Howard is legitimately trying to make amends for what he has done in the past. But who knows with him. I feel like some kind of selfish reason is involved.

It can be both- Howard's whole deal seems to be a struggle between being a good person and a good corporate lawyer. I read his NAMASTE plate as one facet of an attempt to bury these contradictions in comforting mysticism.

He wants to make amends because it's eating him up inside- he seemed twitchy and self-agitated during the barefoot phone call. He is a wealthy liberal attempting to be one of the 'good ones' and missing the forest of collective society for the trees of InDiViDuAl ReSpOnSiBiLiTy- he cannot truly be free from sin with societal and economic pressures acting upon him, unless he goes Saul, which would be abhorrent to his sense of decorum. So, he buys indulgences in order to sleep well at night.

it is a rly sad story

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's Gen X and we loving rule. The new Silent Generation. Head down, no huge feelings one way or the other, been through 3 economic crashes (possibly 4 if you're old enough for the dotcom crash), and had to endure the New Coke era.

indistinguishable from a boomer brag

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1239229901586169857?s=19

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Chadzok posted:

Maybe it's just me but I feel like I caught a little bit of Kim feeling a thrill when Jimmy told her about the cartel stuff.
I felt like she was verging of saying something like "I bet you could get him out."

Oh for sure, she was also gleefully joking with him about the mansion they'd buy with all that cartel money

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I was joking about the cg but they should have done something for Todd. It was ridiculous.

no
it is not the show's job to somehow fool you into thinking it is a firsthand depiction of things that actually happened- you know its not, and vince gilligan knows you know this

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

rip subaru esteem :(

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

stev posted:

Genuinely one of the best performances of the entire show.

What an incredible episode. My heart was actually pounding for the last ten minutes.

It reminded me of confrontations in Disco Elysium that are about to go wrong but end up going well, right down to Kim stepping in to save their partner

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What did Kim pick up from her desk when she quit?

you didnt watch the other seasons?

thats the talisman of k'tar durot, destined to be carried by the harbinger of the laat manan at the Final Tribunal

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

wow both of you are wrong and rly bad at watching tv

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

It's my assumption that he took what Kim said both at face value and to heart, and is going to make Nacho drive him down there to get his house in order

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I think that scene also showed some flaws in Lalo's thinking and mode of operation - flaws that he usually papers over with his subordinates through panache and authority, effective use of posturing

Like a cop, he uses the threat of violence to make a suspect repeat their story over and over, looking for holes. Unlike a cop, he doesn't intuitively know that a lawyer, even a straight-laced type, is very proficient at withstanding that kind of pressure- he's treating Saul like he would any other subordinate who he suspects has a hand in the cookie jar. Saul and Kim are a little out of their depth in the criminal world, but the inversion is also true, and I wonder if this flaw will end up being Lalo's undoing

also if the next episode doesn't have Mike telling Nacho that he, 'better follow Lalo', this whole show will have been for nothing

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Vegetable posted:

The idea that a kindly wage slave like Lyle would work his rear end off to satisfy his boss's neurotics is about the most true-to-life thing to happen in the Breaking Bad universe.

until the end of this sentence I thought I clicked on the achewood thread and I was like 'whaaaat lyle pours half-empty table drinks into bags hidden in plants, he is not here to satisfy neurotics'

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

by the end of season 6, kim will be running the plains midwest Salamanca territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm just getting a little tired of all this meth. Move on to some other drug

tell that to rural america