Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Brock's back! Are you...
This poll is closed.
Excited: it's Brock! 6 4.41%
Hopeful: maybe Cormier will show up? 12 8.82%
Bored: He won't even cut a promo. 25 18.38%
Depressed: Brock vs Roman AGAIN!?! 46 33.82%
Yakuza 0 comes out real soon! :neckbeard: 47 34.56%
Total: 106 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
They already kicked Roman out under the pretense of not wanting Brock and Roman to go to blows before Summerslam. How much more time would it have taken for them to also go to Braun and make him leave too?

Braun's a loving idiot and I hate idiot babyfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Vaguido posted:

They already kicked Roman out under the pretense of not wanting Brock and Roman to go to blows before Summerslam. How much more time would it have taken for them to also go to Braun and make him leave too?

Braun's a loving idiot and I hate idiot babyfaces.

That's main roster booking for you. At least in NXT there are far fewer idiot babyfaces. Where on the main roster, its probably some sort of rule that every babyface is booked like an idiot.

WWE wonders why people demand their favorite main roster worker turns heel, and it's pretty obvious. Heels tend to be booked to be intelligent and dominant. And way more entertaining as well.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

That's main roster booking for you. At least in NXT there are far fewer idiot babyfaces. Where on the main roster, its probably some sort of rule that every babyface is booked like an idiot.

WWE wonders why people demand their favorite main roster worker turns heel, and it's pretty obvious. Heels tend to be booked to be intelligent and dominant. And way more entertaining as well.

And that is how you get Kevin Owens, idiot heel. Spite is the booker.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Wow the CiampaDidNothingWrong reddit actually has 37 subscribers. More than I expected.

Is Dana Brooke a face or a heel? Feels like its changed weekly for 2 years straight.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

remusclaw posted:

And that is how you get Kevin Owens, idiot heel. Spite is the booker.

And he's still far better off than a face Owens would be

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I swear like the top 5 toughest guys in WWE have the top 5 least tough voices https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcoZW_Q1PeU

I kinda wanna hear Lashley and Brock shout at each other to hear what that sounds like.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I feel like face stupidity has a lot to do with how they have heels cheat in either incredibly stupid ways or extremely repetitive ways. The first time you fight Jinder, maybe you fall for the interference->khallas combo. The 5th time, you loving KNOW WHAT HE'S GOING TO DO :rant:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Blaise330 posted:

Wow the CiampaDidNothingWrong reddit actually has 37 subscribers. More than I expected.

Is Dana Brooke a face or a heel? Feels like its changed weekly for 2 years straight.

Statistics are inherently evil.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lower card women like Alicia, Dana and Mickie are just whatever alignment they need to be on that particular night.

Also lol at the Alexa fans all turning into bootlickers to shield her from mild criticism. She couldn't say anything! Not like those black wrestlers who all have it on easy street and can do anything without fear of pretty reprisal from Vince, ESPECIALLY Titus O'Niel.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

VJeff posted:

Lower card women like Alicia, Dana and Mickie are just whatever alignment they need to be on that particular night.

Diva alignment.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol at anyone expecting a wrestler to be a good person

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

VJeff posted:

Unlike midcard women who remain very consistent in their alignment like Sasha and Bayley.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Twitter is literally the same thing as a promotional tour.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

dromal phrenia posted:

I feel like face stupidity has a lot to do with how they have heels cheat in either incredibly stupid ways or extremely repetitive ways. The first time you fight Jinder, maybe you fall for the interference->khallas combo. The 5th time, you loving KNOW WHAT HE'S GOING TO DO :rant:

The fact that the corporate culture in WWE heavily encourages all of the wrestlers to be essentially interchangeable personalities really doesn't help with this.

edit- Like for example the jinder repetitive cheating thing could be good heat in the right circumstances but he'd have to be the ONLY heel who was somehow getting away with this repetitive nonsense over and over again. Instead Jinder picked up the 'outside interference to win' gimmick from bray wyatt and miz and those are just the first two to come to mind. This was basically Evolution's entire run when they were together they had New Day pull this poo poo before they blew up in popularity its not just that it's annoying it's that they won't give it a break.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 31, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Twitter is literally the same thing as a promotional tour.

Ya just can't do it. Ya just can't say "She gave a lovely answer." can you?

Incessant Excess posted:

Unlike midcard women who remain very consistent in their alignment like Sasha and Bayley.

Is "badly written" an alignment, 'cause that was consistent as gently caress for a while there.

dromal phrenia posted:

One time Mojo even said on Talking Smack after losing to Jinder "You know that's what he's gonna do." ...after losing to the interference -> Khallas combo. And he just said it in an "oh well no excuses, I suck. :saddowns:" sort of way. Six months of Jinder as champion and nobody ever thought of asking Bryan or Shane "hey can you kick these guys out of the building or something?" or just hitting them both with a chair before the match started.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have been at those fluff pieces with WWE people when they're in town. They're scripted.

VJeff posted:

Ya just can't do it. Ya just can't say "She gave a lovely answer." can you?

I said that already.

Aphrodite posted:

WWE employee in WWE promotional appearance gives WWE answer.

See?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 31, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yes her answer sucks. yes shes toeing the company line. yes she knows where her bread is buttered. alexa is a pro athlete in her early 20's and she's gonna do what the boss says while she holds the belt because it comes with being the wwe champ and careers dont last very long

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

I have been at those fluff pieces with WWE people when they're in town. They're scripted.

I said that already.

See?

Okay, fine. :colbert:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Alexa should rebuild the establishment from the inside, imo. Annihilate existing power structures and construct more equitable ones, champ.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Alexa will retain at Summerslam.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Were they chanting We Want Roman or We Want Strowman last night? It sounded like Roman on Youtube.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

That's why Ronda brought in Covington. She's trying to politic her way to the belt.

VJeff posted:

Were they chanting We Want Roman or We Want Strowman last night? It sounded like Roman on Youtube.

Both, and also "Roman sucks" was in there too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Alexa loses to Brooke Hogan at Summerslam

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

D.N. Nation posted:

I'd definitely say 2018 has been more frustrating, given the talent available. It's just....nothing is happening! Ever!

feuds do not mean anything, the only long standing rivalry is miz & DB. The formula of champion and contenders chasing the title is what ever promotion but it just seems in WWE so bland and uninspired.

Champion(s) thanks/tuants crowd for being champion and says they are a fighting champion. Contender(s) come out and challenge Champion(s). No brawl just bad jabber jawing leading to the authority figure predictably setting up a "number one contenders match." The championship match is at some random "PPV" that is too close to the last "PPV" to feel special. rinse and repeat

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

VJeff posted:

Some of the crowd was chanting "no we don't" so it must have been the former.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It also doesn't help that they keep doing rematches at sequential PPVs. The roster is so loving huge, I want fresh matchups

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Alexa loses to Hulk Hogan at Summerslam

He's gonna pick up all of her 4 foot tall 75 pound frame and slam her to the mat in front of all eight million people in attendance, brother

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Astro7x posted:

It also doesn't help that they keep doing rematches at sequential PPVs. The roster is so loving huge, I want fresh matchups

Guys on the roster Roman hasn't beaten yet:

-Brock
-Drew
-??

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

-Brock
-Drew
-??

Mike Kanellis.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I know which of three I would most like to see go 20+ with Roman.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Incessant Excess posted:

-Brock
-Drew
-??

I mean, did we really need AJ/Nak at Wrestlemania, Greatest Royal Rumble, Backlash, Smackdown, MITB, and then Smackdown again?

I know the roster split means that AJ has like 4 other heels to face (Joe, Rusev, Orton, Miz?), but it's really their own fault for not building up other people to the main event scene.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
That Raw sounds incredibly bad.

Blaise330 posted:

Is Dana Brooke a face or a heel?
Yes.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Hoss Corncave posted:

That Raw sounds incredibly bad.

Baron Corbin posted:

you have to have brain damage to enjoy raw

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Nattie's gonna cost Ronda, setting up a triple threat at Evolution. I guess.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should fire Titus Oneill and book Apollo and Dana as the York Corporation. Thank you.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

In a weird way, one of the things that makes me feel the most exhausted by the WWE right now is the use of Jinder Mahal. They randomly brought him back and turned him into a goofy comedy jobber, and that was his entire thing for half a year, followed by the Rusev tag team that lasted like a month before they sent him to Smackdown so he could finish his feud with Mojo Rawley by losing to him again.

One week later, after having been a jobber for about five collective years of WWE continuity, he becomes the #1 contender to the WWE title. Over the next six god damned months, they give him the belt and put him over Sami Zayn, Randy Orton, AJ Styles, Luke Harper (LUKE HARPER) and straight-up repeatedly sacrifice Shinsuke Nakamura to him. They spend half of an entire year sacrificing people the crowd gives a poo poo about to a former jobber to make that jobber seem like an effective heel. It's stupid and the crowd hates it, but at the end of it Jinder has at least some heat and is an effective heel in the midcard where he should've been the whole time.

And then they send him back to Raw and have him instantaneously lose the title and return to his previous gimmick as a goofy comedy character you shouldn't take seriously who's constantly getting his rear end kicked. They mortgaged all those other talents to raise this dude up from nothing out of nowhere for no reason and spent tons of money and time to promote him as a thing you should care about but at least partially succeeded by brute force and made him someone people wanted to see lose and thus potentially capable of being an effective character, and then took that away from him so he could make jokes and get beat up by people like Roman, Seth and Braun who don't even remotely need it in the first place.

I don't even like Jinder, but loving why? Why would you just waste all of that time you put into him in exchange for literally nothing?

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Astro7x posted:

I mean, did we really need AJ/Nak at Wrestlemania, Greatest Royal Rumble, Backlash, Smackdown, MITB, and then Smackdown again?

I know the roster split means that AJ has like 4 other heels to face (Joe, Rusev, Orton, Miz?), but it's really their own fault for not building up other people to the main event scene.

They have Almas too. Smackdown has enough good heels. Faces is an issue though. It’s AJ, Bryan and Jeff followed by Tye I guess?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

CarlCX posted:

I don't even like Jinder, but loving why? Why would you just waste all of that time you put into him in exchange for literally nothing?

they thought they could turn youtube hits in india into wwe network subscriptions if they pushed the indian guy but it turns out no one in india was interested enough/had the disposable income to pay 10 bucks a month for it.

yes this company, with its amazing business sense, is worth far more than it ever has been and has been rewarded thusly.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CarlCX posted:

In a weird way, one of the things that makes me feel the most exhausted by the WWE right now is the use of Jinder Mahal. They randomly brought him back and turned him into a goofy comedy jobber, and that was his entire thing for half a year, followed by the Rusev tag team that lasted like a month before they sent him to Smackdown so he could finish his feud with Mojo Rawley by losing to him again.

One week later, after having been a jobber for about five collective years of WWE continuity, he becomes the #1 contender to the WWE title. Over the next six god damned months, they give him the belt and put him over Sami Zayn, Randy Orton, AJ Styles, Luke Harper (LUKE HARPER) and straight-up repeatedly sacrifice Shinsuke Nakamura to him. They spend half of an entire year sacrificing people the crowd gives a poo poo about to a former jobber to make that jobber seem like an effective heel. It's stupid and the crowd hates it, but at the end of it Jinder has at least some heat and is an effective heel in the midcard where he should've been the whole time.

And then they send him back to Raw and have him instantaneously lose the title and return to his previous gimmick as a goofy comedy character you shouldn't take seriously who's constantly getting his rear end kicked. They mortgaged all those other talents to raise this dude up from nothing out of nowhere for no reason and spent tons of money and time to promote him as a thing you should care about but at least partially succeeded by brute force and made him someone people wanted to see lose and thus potentially capable of being an effective character, and then took that away from him so he could make jokes and get beat up by people like Roman, Seth and Braun who don't even remotely need it in the first place.

Because they don't want to release anyone and creative has nothing for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

shiksa posted:

they thought they could turn youtube hits in india into wwe network subscriptions if they pushed the indian guy but it turns out no one in india was interested enough to pay 10 bucks a month for it.

yes this company, with its amazing business sense, is worth far more than it ever has been and has been rewarded thusly.

So that's why he got pinned by Apollo this week.

• Locked thread