Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Developer: Frostkeep https://www.frostkeep.com/
Steam Page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/547860/Rend/
Cost: $29.99

What is REND?

This is accomplished by presenting the gods with spirits collected from PvE and PvP kills and deposited in the Divinity Stone at the center of each faction base. The shields protecting each faction base drops for an hour twice per week to allow for scheduled, strategic PvP raiding (it's also paired with a series of PvE waves in an event called The Reckoning). Eventually, one faction will collect the requisite number of spirits to win over the gods and claim victory in the saga (or match). All players on a server where the win condition is met will receive Ascension Points (meta-progression) based on how much they contributed to their faction's success (crafting, building, offense/defense, etc). AP are used to unlock special game play perks and unique cosmetics that carry over between sagas and act as account leveling. When starting a new saga, these perks and cosmetics will be available for use.

Per the developer, each faction is limited to 20 players online at any given time but may have more than 20 members each. Each server has a capacity of 60 players but Frostkeep is exploring increasing this to 90 when server performance warrants it.

We'll open Early Access with dozens of servers in multiple regions and with Reckoning times that work for different time zones so that each player can choose the best time for them to commit to a "raid night".

What is the setting of the game

You begin your adventure in Rend hungry, unarmed, and defenseless. The good news is you’re not alone: in every cycle of Rend, you’ll be in one of three factions, the Order, the Revenant, or the Conclave, each equal in power and numbers. Starting with an empty faction base surrounded by a magical shield, you’ll work together as a group to discover and harvest nearby raw resources, craft rudimentary tools and weapons, and fight to stay alive. As you research new technologies and explore distant biomes, fresh challenges will present themselves from opposing factions and the brutal environment alike.

Your victories both in combat and in crafting will bring glory to you and your faction. All of your activities in Rend will grant experience and with experience your path will become more clear. You may choose your warrior’s specialization by selecting two skill trees from four archetypes: the stealthy Assassin, powerful Soldier, arcane Mystic, and cunning Survivalist, each with its own abilities and weaknesses. Through your custom selection of active and passive talent, you’ll be able to contribute to your faction’s success precisely the way you want to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1qfePlZ-Vw

How do I win in REND?

Rend serves as the proving ground for those seeking to join the remaining gods’ army in Valhalla. To stand among the gods, each faction seeks to present the gods with warrior spirits harvested from fallen foes. These spirits act as victory points and are key to your faction winning the game.

Spirits are collected much like other raw resources in Rend but must be deposited at the Divinity Stone in the middle of your faction base. These structures are connected to Yggdrasil which stands in the center of the map and reflects the current score of each faction with three vertical runic sigils: the more spirits banked by a team, the higher its glowing sigil climbs the World Tree. When one team’s sigil reaches the top of Yggdrasil, they win the cycle and ascend victorious.

However, achieving victory is no easy task! Rend will pit the three factions in direct competition through resource node distribution, buff-granting control points, and scheduled world events called the Reckoning. Every few days, the magic shields protecting the three faction bases diminishes, briefly rendering them vulnerable to attack. Sensing the spirits within each Divinity Stone, monstrosities called the Lost will appear. In waves, these husks of dishonored warriors will lay siege to anything in their way. During these events, rival factions have the opportunity to raid an opposing faction’s Divinity Stone, stealing their collected spirits. The time and date of the Reckoning is chosen during server selection, allowing players and each faction to prepare for the event by hardening their base’s defenses and deciding on their strategy.

Additionally, the remaining gods will be observing the trials on Rend and may occasionally send down magical items to assist warriors in their trials (or perhaps to instigate battles over their loot). In rare cases, artifacts of legend once wielded by the old gods may fall from the heavens such as the Hammer of Thor, the Horns of Loki, the Steed of Odin, and other mythic items. These will imbue the wielding with godlike powers yet also make them a prime target for enemy factions seeking to claim the artifact as their own. Ultimately, every cycle of Rend, anticipated to last one or two months each, will culminate in a massive war between the three factions, ending with an absolute victor.

What does winning REND get me?

Aside from the right to ascend to Valhalla and join the army of the gods as an honored hero? Well, once the gods have named a faction victorious and those chosen have ascended, all players shall be rewarded with glory per their actions in the cycle, collecting ascendancy points that allow for meta-progression between matches. The amount of points earned will largely depend on being on the winning faction but merit will be given for your personal contributions to your team.

It should be noted that failing to win is largely unpleasant for your character: those warriors who do not ascend will have their spirits ripped from their bodies and sent back into the trial to prove themselves once more. Their bodies, now soulless husks, will become the Lost and wander the world of Rend driven purely by rage, instinct and a primal hunger to be one with a spirit again. Blissfully, as a player, you will only experience this as a server wipe and reset. Still, you may never look at the Lost the same way afterwards...

And so: survive the untamed wilds as a team, conquer your rival factions, and ascend victorious by earning the gods’ favor through presenting them with their toll of spirits. May your faction earn its rightful place in Valhalla!

What is the setting of the game

You begin your adventure in Rend hungry, unarmed, and defenseless. The good news is you’re not alone: in every cycle of Rend, you’ll be in one of three factions, the Order, the Revenant, or the Conclave, each equal in power and numbers. Starting with an empty faction base surrounded by a magical shield, you’ll work together as a group to discover and harvest nearby raw resources, craft rudimentary tools and weapons, and fight to stay alive. As you research new technologies and explore distant biomes, fresh challenges will present themselves from opposing factions and the brutal environment alike.

Your victories both in combat and in crafting will bring glory to you and your faction. All of your activities in Rend will grant experience and with experience your path will become more clear. You may choose your warrior’s specialization by selecting two skill trees from four archetypes: the stealthy Assassin, powerful Soldier, arcane Mystic, and cunning Survivalist, each with its own abilities and weaknesses. Through your custom selection of active and passive talent, you’ll be able to contribute to your faction’s success precisely the way you want to play.

World Map for REND

Resource Tactical Map - WIP
https://resourcemapmaker.com/Map.php?m=21

In what state is this terrible game in?

The game just finished Alpha, and will open its Beta via Steam Early Access, starting July 31, 2018. The game will cost $29.99: https://store.steampowered.com/app/547860/Rend/

Will I be able to run a private server for Goons in the name of Goondor?

Yes. REND suports private and dedicated servers. More info: http://www.rendgame.com/servers, the developer states that they will have official servers hosted by Frostkeep (developer) where Ascension Points (metaprogression) are carried over between servers and sagas (matches). Ascension Points will be on private servers as well but won't affect accounts across official servers. Rend private servers have a lot of custom settings and adjustable rulesets, a number of our community members are planning to make crazy-hardcore PvP servers and PvE-centric crafting and building servers.

How can I play with Goons?

You can join REND Goons Discord at https://discord.gg/XFhhUJn

Server: NA-East | Thor's Fury | Conquest
Reckoning Day: Saturdays
Faction: Order

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Pubbie Drama

We already picked a fight with the Chinese who run around labeled as TEA-

Door Drama

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 5, 2018

Adadad
May 16, 2008
Planning on buying this tomorrow when it goes into EA, have been playing the beta the last few days trying to learn how everything works. So far it has been pretty fun... did some reckoning events and some pvp along with trolling my own faction and it seems like there is much potential for loving with people. Although it seems like it is best to not gently caress your own faction over too bad as you need them to win and ascend.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Oh neat this is starting to happen, hope it doesn’t suck.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Do you lose some points when you die or something? whats to stop rampant feeders from throwing the month long game? also what about if faction blue bears and yellow yaks agree to gently caress over the green goobers and spend all day swapping kills hitting each other with sticks instead of playing the game

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
looks like an interesting
early access crafting building mmo

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Does steam drop stuff at 9pm for PST people? I forgot.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

looks like an interesting
early access crafting building mmo

Made by ex-wow devs!!!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

So it's a 20v20v20 fantasy themed team fps with PvE and base building elements where you can get points and level up depending on how well your team does?

It almost sounds more like a Battlefield game than a MMO (not that that's necessarily a bad thing)

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 31, 2018

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Flavahbeast posted:

So it's a 20v20v20 fantasy themed team fps with PvE and base building elements where you can get points and level up depending on how well your team does?

Something to that nature. Every match is set to last 1-2 months of gameplay, and its playing till there is only one team left.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tempus Thales posted:

Something to that nature. Every match is set to last 1-2 months of gameplay, and its playing till there is only one team left.

So the server is persistent until then? With teams that small it seems like one side would give up well before a month is up

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Flavahbeast posted:

So the server is persistent until then? With teams that small it seems like one side would give up well before a month is up

Developers are looking to increment that to 60 per faction up to 100 players per faction, but that will happen as they optimize the servers over the course of the EA.

There is one of the developers on our discord answering questions, so if you want more concrete answers hop over...

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Interesting ideas here. I haven't played MMOs in awhile due to time constraints, I wonder if this will work well, with just a few hours a week contributing to the faction, since there will be more people in the faction than on the server at once?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
this actually seems interesting, i wonder how they're going to ruin it or gently caress it up

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
The gameplay is something like this:

You select a server and a faction on said server and you stick with it until the end of the Round. A Round (also called a Saga) lasts about 1 month or until 1 faction wins by gathering Spirits ( little floating light balls that appear during the night) and bringing them back to the faction core. After the faction is selected, you need to work together with your faction to build up your faction base until the reckoning hits. The reckoning brings down the faction shields 2 times per week. The lost (mobs) attack your base first and after that, the base is open for PVP attacks from the other factions.

The Big tree at the center has a bar that fills up as you put in more spirits. The first faction to completely fill the bar in the big tree wins. If the core in the tree is hit, some of the spirits you gathered will disappear. So in order to repel this, factions build walls and other defenses around the base for the attack. After getting rid of the Lost (the npc's that attack the bases) the shields take time to recharge. During that time the other factions can attack you and try to steal your spirits.

The entire map is full loot. Only if you die inside your shielded area will you keep your weapons and ammo with you on death. And yes that means that you can go and gank the other factions outside the reckoning time. You don't lose the research you have made so far (all research is faction wide) and the core cannot be destroyed. That being said if your entire base gets destroyed, while it's a major setback, you still have a chance of a comeback. Once the game is won by a faction Meta progression points will be rewarded to everyone. The winner gets the most.

One of the devs in the Rend Goons Discord was able to give a bit more explanation about how this mechanic works...

FK Scape wrote: "Rend's meta-progression, the Ascension System, rewards Ascension Points which are used to unlock perks and cosmetics that carry over between sagas (matches). Upon completion of a saga, bonus Ascension Points are rewarded based on the AP you earned during the saga. So say you played a saga and earned 100 points and got to the end and won, you'd get a bunch of bonus points for winning if you lost you'd still get bonus points, but a little bit less.

If you're jumping servers, you're likely never going to get the winning bonus and joining after the rest of your team has won the saga means you're minimizing your time spent on the winning team and thereby your total AP earned.
"

The game itself gets reset and you lose all your items, perks levels etc at the start of the new round. Basically, you start like you did before and only the meta progression points stay.

Meta progression will allow you to unlock new stuff. Some will be cosmetic updates and others will be in the form of unlocking new skill trees that are just as powerful. Meta points are locked to the server your play on and do not take over to other servers, they only carry over if you are playing on Official Servers. On non-official servers, the meta progression is locked to the server you are playing from.

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 31, 2018

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

can i just murder hobo people and be useful?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pass

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
so whichever group of 20 guys poopsocks the hardest wins every time?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm still not sure I'm wrapping my head around this. Looks like another ark or fortnite but with persistent servers?

Not really interested, the generic art direction rubs me the wrong way.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Interestingly being a wannabe lone wolf seems to have a detrimental effect on the overall teams progress so in theory team works going to be king, in practice pubbies gonna pub.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

clone on the phone posted:

Oh neat this is starting to happen, hope it doesn’t suck.

It's headed by Wildstar dudes, that should tell you everything about how much it'll suck.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Bombogenesis posted:

It's headed by Wildstar dudes, that should tell you everything about how much it'll suck.

Ex Wow Devs, that went on to do Wildstar, that.... yeah

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Been playing and it's not as bad as I thought, its very team oriented, and the faction wont do well if the pubbies in it don't communicate.

The good thing is that within the faction, you can make a clan. So goons can organize themselves like that.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

so what happens when i play on a server and then it's max capacity and i can't log into it? do i just have to start over?

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED

Tempus Thales posted:

Been playing and it's not as bad as I thought, its very team oriented, and the faction wont do well if the pubbies in it don't communicate.

The good thing is that within the faction, you can make a clan. So goons can organize themselves like that.

Day 1 - Started war with chinese tea clan who dont have the decency to name them selfs after subtypes of the beverage.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
anyone want to find a server and join that one team that is always 10/20

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
there are servers that let you attack the enemies main base 24/7 not sure if thats good or bad

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Added the "World Map" to the OP.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

this game is unplayable outside of the first 3 hours.

1) everyone that starts losing leaves their server and finds another one

2) when you start winning all the retards want to join your side so the wait times for you and your friends skyrockets so you just gotta start over

this game is going to be utterly unplayable in pubs, but if they fix the above issues this could actually be good

feller
Jul 5, 2006

how many cupcakes are in this game

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Senor Dog posted:

how many cupcakes are in this game

zero, do not buy

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

zero, do not buy

not hardcore enough for cupcakes

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I don't understand how games keep coming up with even more amazing terrible ideas

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i'm collapsing under the multiple body blows struck by the phrases "early access" "survival" and "crafting", i think a battle royale game might kill me right now

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

"Lets make a game with all this cool poo poo, but still be so horribly inept that we forgot people will be dicks."

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think the biggest thing they need to work on is getting the teams fighting each other asap. PvE in these games is a bore, it's not a mmo

Weebay
Apr 8, 2008

Reality is a question of perspective; the further you get from the past, the more concrete and plausible it seems - but as you approach the present, it inevitably seems incredible.

Flavahbeast posted:

I think the biggest thing they need to work on is getting the teams fighting each other asap. PvE in these games is a bore, it's not a mmo

I've seen a lot of PvP in the game so far.

There are control points that are worth fighting over which has lead to a lot of PvP, that and attacking personal bases.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
The games real bad yall, I refunded it just in time. They could still make it a good game... maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I’m so happy/mad that the screenshots ended on that pun

• Locked thread