Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm there’s literally two “characters are gonna be eaten” episodes in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
EP 9

I knew i shouldn't have let you put stars on that dunce cap ahahahaha. The king is pretty great

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm gonna say I like the longer episodes. It definitely results in fewer laughs per minute but it also gives the show more room to breathe and gives it a different vibe from Futurama. I can see why people don't, but it's not a big issue to me.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rocksicles posted:

EP 9

I knew i shouldn't have let you put stars on that dunce cap ahahahaha. The king is pretty great

A Super King, if you will.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Just found this, and i like it! Maybe it needs a bit of time to wind up, but I'm enjoying it as a casual watch on episode 2.

Anyone know who Noel Fielding voices? I love him.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He’s the executioner in episode 5. I think that’s the episode

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Sweet, thanks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

EP 9

This is probably the best line of the whole show so far

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The first episode had more laughs than the Simpsons or Futurama pilot. Not amazing but there's potential, so I'll stay. Seriously the Futurama pilot is not good at all.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Seriously the Futurama pilot is not good at all.
You stink, loser

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished the season and yeah I definitely liked the show a bunch in the end. But MAN does it end on a bunch of cliffhangers with not enough explanation for them. Stupid Netflix and their “parts”!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Whalley posted:

You stink, loser

Really? I vividly remember watching the pilot live and it being underwhelming. Not bad, just not funny. Seriously, what funny jokes are there in the pilot? And I say this as someone who loving loves Futurama

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Really? I vividly remember watching the pilot live and it being underwhelming. Not bad, just not funny. Seriously, what funny jokes are there in the pilot? And I say this as someone who loving loves Futurama
There's almost instantly when Fry talks about how space is big and then there's a monkey at the end and then a kid says you stink loser and that's funny and it just keeps going from there what I was quoting at you

Like just off the top of my head, there's "It's the year 3000" "Wow, a million years" and "This is officer 1B-DI" followed really quickly by "We'll be there in 5 minutes" and Fry asking a suicide booth if he can make a collect call and "we have you partially surrounded" and Bender's instant flip from "You're full of crap, Fry" to "You make a convincing argument, Fry" and the whole major plot of Fry desperately wanting to not be a delivery boy culminating in his celebration of finally getting to be a delivery boy; I'm sure I can look up a script and find like 20 more good jokes that I guess just aren't to your taste.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

In the end, I really liked this! For most of its run it's kind of coasting on its wheels, decent jokes but nothing special. The end realy ramps up in quality though and I'm super excited for the rest of it!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

There's a lot of gleeful nihilism in this; it's very Futurama meets Mission Hill (only fantasy) in its writing, which is everything I wanted.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

this opening theme song is so godawful that I had to pause the first episode thirty seconds in so I could complain about it

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Phenotype posted:

this opening theme song is so godawful that I had to pause the first episode thirty seconds in so I could complain about it

this is a fair complaint, it sucks a whole pile of farts

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Made it 15 minutes into the pilot before giving up. Are there any individual episodes worth watching before i give up on this completely?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Necrothatcher posted:

Made it 15 minutes into the pilot before giving up. Are there any individual episodes worth watching before i give up on this completely?

Please finish the pilot, it's got some of the best bestiality humor I've seen in years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Necrothatcher posted:

Don't worry about it, stuff actually happens by like episode 8.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I've watched the first 4 episodes, pretty happy with it :)
It's made me chuckle a few times and smile at most of the jokes, some jokes fall a little flat but I haven't found anything to be noticeably unfunny.

Unfortunately the theme song is pretty forgettable though it's not a huge deal

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I made it four episodes in before I had to quit. It just isn't clicking for me. There are so many jokes that are almost funny but don't land properly. Like they probably were funny when they were writing it but somehow it failed to translate to the screen? I dunno, but I'm incredibly disappointed in this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Binged the entire season today and I love it. Totally reminds me of classic Futurama with the joke structure. I even like the title theme. I was really expecting for it to be passable at best by the previews so I’m pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Waiting for more is going to be rough.:smith:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 18, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FrumpleOrz posted:

I made it four episodes in before I had to quit. It just isn't clicking for me. There are so many jokes that are almost funny but don't land properly. Like they probably were funny when they were writing it but somehow it failed to translate to the screen? I dunno, but I'm incredibly disappointed in this.

Just watch the rest of it, it's 2.5 hours out of your life. The end is really good

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Rocksicles posted:

Just watch the rest of it, it's 2.5 hours out of your life. The end is really good

Nah, I have other things to do with my time. I very much dislike the episodes I've watched and see no reason to keep going. This show just isn't for me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

Totally reminds me of classic Futurama with the joke structure.

That is my biggest issue. It feels like they had an old bucket of futurama jokes and everyone falls across a couple characters so instead of having personalities everyone has like percent bender jokes and percent fry jokes

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I watched it all today, too. I'd agree and say this is basically on par with Early Futurama, though it isn't really as good as Futurama in its prime. I kinda wish they used the Netflix format more to do poo poo they couldn't really do on normal TV, like ramp up the cartoon violence a little bit or have some "real" swearing.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm about 3 episodes in, and it seems pretty great so far. Seems to be some jokes that don't quite land, but for the most part, yeah I like it. Definitely can tell it's by some of the original Simpsons crew.
Doesn't seem like they're really taking advantage of the lack of restrictions from Netflix, but it's also the first season, so I can see them opening it up more as they get more comfortable with it. I'd be happy to see a second season.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I'm totally shocked at the bad reviews. I thought the pilot was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Sure the comedy isn't cutting edge, but it's still drat good. My biggest criticism is that the soundtrack doesn't really set the right vibe for the show. Aside from that, the jokes are rapidfire and they land pretty well, the voice acting is fine, and the writing is better then any of the critics led me to believe it would be.

I've watched the first two episodes so far and they were both very unlike The Simpsons or Futurama. Disenchantment took its own footing pretty early on. I appreciate the show for it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thanks alot assbag posted:

the jokes are rapidfire

very unlike Futurama
Were we watching the same show?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's super different than Groening's other stuff, which I think is throwing people. It's really good too.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I like others was going to give up on the show, it wasn't that laugh out loud funny. But I kept going and by the end I can't wait for more episodes. I think it builds on itself and you definitely need to like dark humour. Hopefully it gets a few more seasons to grow.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Why does it look so bad

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

exmarx posted:

Why does it look so bad

??

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Show looks pretty nice to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've seen a lot of complaints about the show looking bad all over the place, but I don't see it myself.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Whalley posted:

There's almost instantly when Fry talks about how space is big and then there's a monkey at the end and then a kid says you stink loser and that's funny and it just keeps going from there what I was quoting at you

Like just off the top of my head, there's "It's the year 3000" "Wow, a million years" and "This is officer 1B-DI" followed really quickly by "We'll be there in 5 minutes" and Fry asking a suicide booth if he can make a collect call and "we have you partially surrounded" and Bender's instant flip from "You're full of crap, Fry" to "You make a convincing argument, Fry" and the whole major plot of Fry desperately wanting to not be a delivery boy culminating in his celebration of finally getting to be a delivery boy; I'm sure I can look up a script and find like 20 more good jokes that I guess just aren't to your taste.

Didn't it have if anyone asks you're my debugger when he got asked if he got called a romo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've seen a lot of complaints about the show looking bad all over the place, but I don't see it myself.

Really? They're nuts, the animation and style are really profoundly good.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

FrumpleOrz posted:

That’s how I felt. Like ep3, when they had that part referencing The Slits/Ari Up. ‘Wow, musicians and bands, so zany, amirite?’ That part fell flat on its face.

A few jokes still land, but for the most part I feel like it’s one of those ‘I might put it on for background noise’ type of shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Finished it up, it did get better but still, the pacing is all wrong and it sounds like they recorded lines separately, it doens't flow very well when there is a conversation.

Zogs writing is pretty bad, flipping between foolhardy king and then the long pause/awkward moment jokes like family guy or adventure time.

• Locked thread