Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m surprised a lot of you guys hate this show. I hope it does well enough to get a second season since I personally liked it a lot and think it could only improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m surprised a lot of you guys hate this show. I hope it does well enough to get a second season since I personally liked it a lot and think it could only improve.

The initial order was for 20 episodes, so 10 more are coming eventually.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It’s not hatred so much as disappointment. I may eventually make it through all the episodes by virtue of it sitting in my Continue Watching queue and not being outright bad. It’s just not holding up its end as the past to Simpson’s present and Futurama’s future.

It's just frustrating because I’m not particularly funny and I definitely don’t know how to write sitcoms, so I shouldn’t be able to watch a show and have flaws jump out at me. That’s not something that ever happened with Simpsons or Futurama, even for episodes that weren’t all that funny, because they were crafted so carefully.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I generally liked it. I like the intro music, though it's not at the same level as Futurama or the Simpsons, and while it's good it doesn't really seem to fit the setting as well as Futurama's theme does (Yes, I know the Futurama theme was based on an existing song).

I liked a lot of the jokes, although there are few that make me laugh audibly. I like the theme of treating the Jester or Town Crier or Royal Messenger like TV/News Radio. My favorite of those was "And now we go live to the stables...Well come along." and "Please don't shoot the messenger, ANYMORE.".

Story wise though it felt like the show didn't really know what kind of story it wanted to tell. It's stuck in this weird middle ground between having an over arching plot and wanting to do one and done episodes. Futurama was able to eventually transition to longer story arcs because it took a long time just introducing the characters in simple sitcom scenarios that only lasted one episode, which let you get a sense of who they were, what they acted like, etc. Disenchantment is trying to get the best of both worlds and didn't do a great job because (as a lot of people are pointing out) they didn't nail that sense of consistency for the characters, so when the heavy plot starts rolling in we just aren't sure what the characters are going to do. Since it's Netflix and you don't have to worry about getting canceled halfway through the episodes you wrote, they should have gone straight interconnected plot arc without the cutaway episodes.

Spoiler for Finale I also didn't like the hard U-turn they did with King Zog. Him trying to get the elixir of immortality to resurrect his wife seemed very out of touch with how his character had been presented and it undermined the emotion of the scene. It's like having a meaningless side character be the surprise villain in a story, it just works against itself. Also the ensuing plot twist was very predictable.

Hopefully the second season/part is more tightly written with the growing pains out of the way.

I'd give it a B-.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

I would not say I hate it. It just feels so absolutely bare minimum.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

using a bunch of futurama VAs is fine by me but why on earth do they have them doing the exact same voices as well

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Not good. This is not good.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i'm 4 episodes in and i'm not sure if i want to continue

it's ok and i really want to like it but meh

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Faster, Princess! Kill! Kill! is the only episode of this that I would consider, on the whole, watchable. The show is bad.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
This show isn't quite there yet. Bean is a character with a lot of potential, but its not as confident with its setting or characters as Futurama was at the same point, but it seems like she's growing to something more and more as the season progresses. I seem to like Abbi Jacobson's performance more than some critics, but some of her line reads seem like they needed a second take. Though voice actors do seem to get better as they settle into the role: remember Homer Simpson's original not-Walter Matthau voice? Dreamland needs more to make it stand out as a setting - it feels a little generic at the moment, but without the meta joke of leaning into pointing that out.

I am interested in where the story is going when it becomes more narrative driven in the last few episodes. If part 2 has more story and less stand alone/filler episodes, that will be better.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I thought Abbi Jacobson and Nat Faxon did good jobs. I was pretty disappointed with Eric Andre though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think a really good observation is that simpsons and futurama are weakest when doing pop culture stories and this is the first one of these that is almost totally divorced from it. There will probably never be an episode about iphones or lucy liu or anything like that. Which should be great but is wasted because this is the show the writers care the least about the straight subject matter.

Like futurama writers very obviously were deep deep into space stuff and math and sci-fi, simpsons was based on what the actual chuildhoods a bunch of 30 somethings in 1990 grew up with in the 60s, this one just isn't. There is no real indication anyone writing for it has any real interest in writing a fantasy story. And I'm sort of glad because I don't really want to watch someone's D&D fanfiction either, but both simpsons and futurama got bogged down with so much current events nonsense and this show being almost totally free to tell it's own story is the time no one really seems to care to. A lot of futurama was legitimate original sci-fi

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I thought this was a great start. Weaker than Futurama's start, but still very worthwhile and I've missed a show with Futurama style joke structure and was glad to have it back. There were more than a few major lol moments for me.

In the 8th or 9th episode theres a bit where Bean yells "Birdman, activate!" or something and the Griffin lays a loving egg, I actually did a spit take at that it took me off guard I really like the Oracle Flame watchers as little bit characters. Another great moment is from episode 4 with The old man complaining about establishing a set of rules in a fantasy story so you can understand the consequences and blah blah he gets arrowed in the chest and his dead body slides the gently caress off the roof I like that its a bit more violent and dark than futurama or the simpsons. I probably like Elfo the least of the main 3 but they all have their good gags, Luci's "look into my eye" bit was great.

I'm looking forward to watching more of this and I hope it gets a dece run.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerkface posted:

I like that its a bit more violent and dark than futurama

Futurama had lots of that kind of random violence though?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the show does this thing where people who get cut or stabbed violently don't bleed (except when they do). i don't care for it, it looks weird.

i guess it's so they can do super nasty stuff like that ogre that gets stabbed in both eyes without it being excessively gory but i don't think it works out. they should've either committed to the violence, or toned it down.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

Futurama had lots of that kind of random violence though?

Futurama has some great ULTRA VIOLENCE bits but this definitely has more and also the application is a bit different. Due to the fantasy sword fighting aesthetic you got more dismemberment and like those guys getting impaled by the traps or dudes getting their heads cut off they're pretty dead.

I think its different from Futurama. Like I can't recall anything quite like a guy getting impaled on an iron throne and then later his brain falling out in Futurama.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
Really liked first 10 episodes. There were enough jokes and good lines for me.
Character development was mediocre, plot after episode 6 was interesting.

Reading this thread, it is 50/50 if you like it or not.
I'd say if you don't like this after 4 episodes, just drop it if you have something better to watch on your schedule.

Me myself am eagerly awaiting for last 10 episodes, which I'll most likely binge in one sitting.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think what really helps the show is that Bean is a really good main character, which helps overcome the lamer Elfo and Luci characters.

What hurts the show is that each episode can be as long as they want, so some jokes go on way too long or would be cut entirely if they had the standard 20 minutes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My god Elfo sucks. All his Nice Guy bullshit is just gross.

I like Nat Faxton though, and I liked a few of the jokes, particularly the joke about hanging elves. But, like, ouch, that little guy's a real creeper.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

The turkeys being the preferred way of sending messages made me laugh out loud.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Prav posted:

the show does this thing where people who get cut or stabbed violently don't bleed (except when they do). i don't care for it, it looks weird.

That's a thing that Matt Groening has been doing forever. He does gore in the extreme abstract unless there's an explicit reason for it (like some Simpson's Treehouse of Horror bits). Futurama would have people lose limbs like it's nothing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Prav posted:

i guess it's so they can do super nasty stuff like that ogre that gets stabbed in both eyes without it being excessively gory but i don't think it works out. they should've either committed to the violence, or toned it down.
The whole show is weirdly child-friendly despite seeming like it wasn't supposed to be. Like, in the beginning when Elfo's in bed with his girlfriend and then she specifically accuses her father of wanting to kill anyone she kisses. It stands out because it seems like they were going out of their way to say "they were just kissing, no sex happening here!" And all the bloodless violence, of course. And the weirdly consequence-free drinking. We're essentially told that Bean is an alcoholic, but that doesn't seem to mean anything.

Open Source Idiom posted:

My god Elfo sucks. All his Nice Guy bullshit is just gross.
And the show can't seem to decide whether he's an adult or not. Like, obviously he's physically an adult, but he switches between being essentially the only elf who thinks like an adult human being and being absurdly naïve and childlike.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tiggum posted:

The whole show is weirdly child-friendly despite seeming like it wasn't supposed to be. Like, in the beginning when Elfo's in bed with his girlfriend and then she specifically accuses her father of wanting to kill anyone she kisses. It stands out because it seems like they were going out of their way to say "they were just kissing, no sex happening here!"

The joke there was her name was Kisso - she kisses everything

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

The joke there was her name was Kisso - she kisses everything

And "You know I can't go all the way!"

edit: all the elf name jokes were classic futurama

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
There’s an early joke I appreciated because I think it only works if you have subtitles on. Elfo does something shocking and you hear a gasp in the background, which the subtitle attributes to Shocko who is offscreen for that moment.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
It could have really used more futurama style gags about the setting to make it feel intrresting. The only one that pops to mind is the donkey cops which was great.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
So do we all agree bean and elfo are half siblings and that is the shocking truth the giant tried to say instead I’d “he loves you”

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I feel like a lot of people here have blanked out the Futurama movies & Comedy Central seasons.

They lacked jokes and also had an excessive amount of grossout humor especially towards the end.

Disenchantment was fine, even laughed out loud at some stuff. But the humor was very similar to those later seasons of Futurama, which is not surprising.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this show sucks rear end

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it feels like they took a second draft of the script and just loving went with it i guess

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think I just finished the 6th episode. I'm happy to watch further, even if I have complaints.

Zog is the best character, followed by Bean, and a distant 3rd and 4th for Elfo and Luci.

Elfo could be decent, but I'm not sure what kind of character they want him to be. Half the time he's the innocent and the other half he's horny for Bean.

Luci is the Poochy of the show, like he was created to be the breakout character but he's not interesting, nor does he get good jokes.

I also think it's a weird line between violence/sex and family friendliness they're trying to tow. The idea of more explicit adult situations is off-putting, but the way they imply stuff just falls flat.

I'm willing to give it a chance, but it's not without it's flaws.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really loved it. The thing I liked the most that hasn't been mentioned is they refused to just straight up parody D&D or Game of Thrones or the Witcher or Elder Scrolls or whatever fantasy thing you can think of. It has elements of it, and there are referances of course, but there isn't a straight up "here's the game of thrones episode". It at least tries to be unique and be its own fantasy story.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I really loved it. The thing I liked the most that hasn't been mentioned is they refused to just straight up parody D&D or Game of Thrones or the Witcher or Elder Scrolls or whatever fantasy thing you can think of. It has elements of it, and there are referances of course, but there isn't a straight up "here's the game of thrones episode". It at least tries to be unique and be its own fantasy story.

They seem to have avoided parodying any specific thing by just being incredibly non-specific though. Like, they didn't come up with their own take on the fantasy world, they just didn't think about it and ended up with the most generic world ever.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just finished the last episode, overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's not ground breaking and sometimes the jokes fall flat, but I enjoyed watching and I think the show has the potential to grow into something truly great

The twist of Beans mother turning everyone to stone (and being evil I guess?) was a decent idea to close out on but they could have pulled it off better. Having everyone turn on queen Oona and everything going according to Dagmars plan (with no planning?) was pretty lazy.
Do you guys think in the end we got the true version of the scene where Dagmar drinks the poison and turns to stone? It started to feel like when Fry falls into the cryo chamber with how many times they replayed it and added/changed details.

I have a few other questions which I guess we're supposed to speculate on
Is there any significance as to who shot Elfo?
Who's Elfo's mother?
Who bottled up Luci? Big Joe?
Why did the truth orb thing shock Bean when she tried to touch it?
Bean's comment about how it seemed like her Mother knew everyone felt a little out of place too
Also, you can actually see Elfo is dragged out of the water by mermaids

I'm definitely on board for more episodes in the future, but I'm hoping the show improves in a couple ways

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 20, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

.TakaM posted:

Just finished the last episode, overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's not ground breaking and sometimes the jokes fall flat, but I enjoyed watching and I think the show has the potential to grow into something truly great

The twist of Beans mother turning everyone to stone (and being evil I guess?) was a decent idea to close out on but they could have pulled it off better. Having everyone turn on the new queen and everything going according to Dagmars plan (with no planning?) was pretty lazy.
Do you guys think in the end we got the true version of the scene where Dagmar drinks the poison and turns to stone? It started to feel like when Fry falls into the cryo chamber with how many times they replayed it and added/changed details.

I have a few other questions which I guess we're supposed to speculate on
Who shot Elfo?
Who's Elfo's mother?
Who bottled up Luci?
Why did the truth orb thing shock Bean when she tried to touch it?
Bean's comment about how it seemed like her Mother knew everyone felt a little out of place too

I'm definitely on board for more episodes in the future, but I'm hoping the show improves in a couple ways

Enough with the hot takes being thrown out, let's get to what we're all really here for:

Baseless speculation!

Pretty sure it's the one-eyed guard who shot Elfo. While obviously not to degree of the prince-turned-pig, he was occasionally somewhat of a creep towards Bean. I did like his line "Well, now that we are courting..." My theory is that, since the three-eyed chancellor is probably NOT evil at all, he shot Elfo because he's jealous and saw him as an obstacle. A small obstacle, mind you (I kinda hope they do NOT get Bean and Elfo together...), but hey, he saw his chance.

Easiest guess as for who bottled up Luci: just the exorcist again. Dude seems pretty much unkillable, I could imagine that being his thing: always coming back from the dead, increasingly crippled, yet unfazed. And speaking of that exorcist, I wonder if there's anything up with the assassin that the evil kingdom sent. He kinda just went "Whelp, fulfilled my job, bye" and committed suicide IMMEDIATELY, which was pretty funny. But I'm curious if that's really all there is to him...

I'm guessing the orb shocked Bean because she's developing evil magic powers or something. Her mother is apparently in league with the summoners who sent Luci; with Dagmar turned to stone, they tried the next best thing: corrupting Bean so that she may walk the same path as her mother. I guess their evil plans required an offspring of whatever Dagmar is, and a human/king. Then the Elixir of Life suddenly happened, and they suddenly have BOTH Dagmar and the possibility of turning Bean evil. They'll probably try awakening her evil magic powers. Who knows if it'll work, she DOES have her father's dumb fighter genes!

Glad to hear there are at least 10 more episodes on the way. I hope they bring it to somewhat of a conclusion already.

Kinda sad so few people like Luci - to me, he was less faux Bender and more of a weird troublemaker cat with LOTS of great animation gags. I absolutely love his design.

If there's any character that I think needs some work, it's Elfo. His deal seems to be that he's naive, but desperately tries to be taken seriously - hence all his doofiness, with the occasional outburst. There's one gag that pretty much sums him up - he's being called adorable, gets tickled, giggles along, then all of a sudden yells "ENOUGH". That was great. I hope they turn down the Nice Guy-ness down a notch, tho.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AngusPodgorny posted:

Take the joke about “we need your best trackers / they’re lost.” It’s technically a joke, but if you’re going to go with something that hackneyed you should do something with it. There was no build-up leading to the punchline, like the King overselling their abilities. It wasn’t used as an opportunity to cut away to a funny scene of them being lost. And it didn’t lead anywhere, since they just took some other guys that tracked Bean down just fine. That was the entirety of the joke, like a placeholder so that they could remember to come back and punch it up later, but didn't.

There's no buildup to any of the jokes, it's like they didn't want to risk you getting confused if there was more than 3 seconds between set-up and punchline.

Like the bit with the spy in the wall also being the chancellors secretary - we get introduction, then straight into the joke, then we drag it out some more, then we drag it out some more, then she's never seen or heard again. It's an alright gag, but there's no rhythm to it, it's just the show putting a halt on everything to be silly.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's a great example. It felt rushed, like they didn't do that many drafts (some of the classic Simpsons episodes had 40 drat drafts). Is there any information on the production? This season definitely lacked the polish, detail and finesse of classic Futurama. I'll give season 2 a chance, but they can do better. Define Elfo and Luci, define the world, more consistent jokes.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's no buildup to any of the jokes, it's like they didn't want to risk you getting confused if there was more than 3 seconds between set-up and punchline.

Like the bit with the spy in the wall also being the chancellors secretary - we get introduction, then straight into the joke, then we drag it out some more, then we drag it out some more, then she's never seen or heard again. It's an alright gag, but there's no rhythm to it, it's just the show putting a halt on everything to be silly.

This, classic Simpsons and Futurama had jokes with multiple layers. These feel more like modern Simpsons.
I feel this part of Super Eyepatch Wolf's video about the Simpsons sums it up pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk&t=500s

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Three episodes in and yea it’s... okay. Bean is cool, king is cool, snake queen is funny, I like the setting and background characters overall. Elfo sucks, and I don’t know what Luci’s point is. It really does feel inconsistent in parts (Elfo’s characterization, and Luci everything - in the first ep he sleeps in fire, in the third he’s threatened by it?) but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mulderman posted:

This, classic Simpsons and Futurama had jokes with multiple layers. These feel more like modern Simpsons.
I feel this part of Super Eyepatch Wolf's video about the Simpsons sums it up pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk&t=500s

Cheers this video was fantastic

It sums up what I hated about Disenchantment. All the jokes are weak with virtually no setup and no payoff

Moola fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 20, 2018

• Locked thread