Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So do we all agree bean and elfo are half siblings and that is the shocking truth the giant tried to say instead I’d “he loves you”

Elfo deffo half-mermaid-o.

Another issue with characterization: I keep seeing the characters as conglomerations of Groening's past characters the more I think about them. Part of that is the voices, but with very few exceptions all of the characters seem like pick and mix versions from the Simpsons and Futurama.

Bean's Half Brother: Ralph + The Flanders kids.
Queen Oona (Lizard Queen): Mom (Futurama) + Patty and Selma, but as a background character.
Sorcerio: Farnsworth ÷ Homer
Odva (Three eyes): Wernstrom + Hermes
Prince Guysbert (Dumb Dead Prince): Dumb Zap Branigan
Prince Merkimer (Pig Prince): Just Zap Branigan
Sir Pendergast (Eyepatch): Another Zap Branigan

And the main Trio just seems like they put Fry, Bender, and Zoidberg into a blender and separated them out into various ratios. They're just a big mix of stupid, naivete, horny, and rear end in a top hat. They need a "straight man" (The comedy term, not the orientation) to play off of because otherwise it just devolves into simple idiocy. The scenes where they interact with King Zog, closest thing we get to a voice of reason, are the best. The main group needs someone like Marge or Leela to reign them in. I thought that Elfo would be that character but then they turned him into the stupid, horny, nice-guy. Honestly, having them team up more directly with Zog would be good because the idea of a stereotypical "Warrior King" now having to act as a parent in the midst of doing things he'd otherwise love to revel in sounds promising. Also that big of his characterization came way too late.

The most original characters are Zog and Big Joe (And even big joe has a Side Show Bob feel to him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I do wonder how much it helps that I never watched Futurama and only saw a handfull of random Simpsons episodes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Avalerion posted:

I do wonder how much it helps that I never watched Futurama and only saw a handfull of random Simpsons episodes.

It might help you enjoy this show, but at what cost?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Holy poo poo WHAT

Don't say that out loud, what's wrong with you

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think the setting is another issue. I never know where anything is. Futurama had a space ship so they could just fly somewhere new. In this they walk everywhere so it just feels like I never know where they are relative to anything. Is elf town a hundred miles away and you need a bird to carry you there or is it right outside the castle? What settings are even in the castle or out of the caste or in or out of the city walls?

Like simpsons also does the "locations swim around a lot" stuff, but it feels worse in this because they are always walking and it feels like it muddles the scope of things and also limits the scope of things, where once they walked through everything nearby we will know there is no like, orc town, unlike Futurama where everything is equally close so they can go anywhere.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

They gently caress it up themselves. In the 9th episode with the map, one of the characters tells them to go north, then cut to the map and they go loving south lol

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Holy poo poo WHAT

Don't say that out loud, what's wrong with you

First exposure to Simpsons was when I was too young (really though why was this even marketed at kids?) so I probably just didn’t get into it on account of not getting it.

The stuff I’ve seen as an adult was good, but not catch up on what by now I asume are thousands of episodes good.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Avalerion posted:

First exposure to Simpsons was when I was too young (really though why was this even marketed at kids?) so I probably just didn’t get into it on account of not getting it.

The stuff I’ve seen as an adult was good, but not catch up on what by now I asume are thousands of episodes good.

I've got some good news and some bad news for you

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alan_Shore posted:

They gently caress it up themselves. In the 9th episode with the map, one of the characters tells them to go north, then cut to the map and they go loving south lol

And I definitely don't think they need to stick to tactical map realism or anything, they should be loose with the map if they need to. But the whole structure of the series taking place in one location limits the show a lot. And they have done poorly giving the locations a sense of place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Well, there's only about 200 that are worth seeing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Watch season 3 to 7, then 1-2 then 8 (everything after 8 is at your own risk). Then watch Futurama pretty much straight through, I think the first 3 seasons are stronger.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crain posted:

Sir Pendergast (Eyepatch): Another Zap Branigan

He seems more competent and less of an rear end in a top hat than Brannigan though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I didn't get a Branigan vibe from him. I got it more from the pig dude than anyone else, really. It's also not a foregone conclusion that we'll get a McLure/Branigan type this time around, though it wouldn't surprise me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Moola posted:

I've got some good news and some bad news for you

Tiggum posted:

Well, there's only about 200 that are worth seeing.

They phrased that weirdly, but they probably mean: "It might be a good show, but it's not good enough for me to catch up with all of that."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Avalerion posted:

You're incredibly lucky because you don't have a lifetime of nostalgia and obsessive fandom giving you impossible standards that no show could ever fulfill let alone in the first half of the first season of a show that is explicitly trying to do something different and is helmed by people who only worked on like two latter seasons of the classic years. Like, Simpsons fans basically pioneered being incredibly annoying Extremely Online obsessives who were driven prodromal by watching every episode over and over during their formative years and have spent almost 20 years bickering about the exact point that the show sucked and parroting the same handful of Zombie Simpsons factoids at each other with no sign of stopping.

If you ever do get around to watching it just start from the beginning, stop when you stop enjoying it, and go out of your way to avoid reading anything from the fans until you're done.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hello friends. I found Disenchantment to be pretty funny and quite enjoyable. I am looking forward to season 2.

Though, I felt like Oona gave me a rather different impression of what Dankmire would actually be like.

Perhaps it's considered rude to do lizard things in public.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 20, 2018

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

Three episodes in and yea it’s... okay. Bean is cool, king is cool, snake queen is funny, I like the setting and background characters overall. Elfo sucks, and I don’t know what Luci’s point is. It really does feel inconsistent in parts (Elfo’s characterization, and Luci everything - in the first ep he sleeps in fire, in the third he’s threatened by it?) but eh.

The “point” of Luci is to pressure Bean to do self destructive things. He’s essentially the show’s main antagonist in contrast to Elfo who functions as the good angel on Bean’s shoulder. The problem is the show forgets this almost immediately and by episode 3 Elfo is drinking, swearing and generally enabling Bean while Luci is suddenly her friend for some reason.

They also never address why Bean likes Luci at all since he overtly says that he’s there to screw her over. They really needed to either have Luci be much more cagey with his true intentions or have Bean be way more skeptical towards his suggestions and their relationship more antagonistic (at least at first). As it is now it’s really inconsistent to the point where it can be distracting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crain posted:

They need a "straight man" (The comedy term, not the orientation) to play off of because otherwise it just devolves into simple idiocy. The scenes where they interact with King Zog, closest thing we get to a voice of reason, are the best. The main group needs someone like Marge or Leela to reign them in.

I will never understand the need to have a boring character in a show.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

readingatwork posted:

The “point” of Luci is to pressure Bean to do self destructive things. He’s essentially the show’s main antagonist in contrast to Elfo who functions as the good angel on Bean’s shoulder. The problem is the show forgets this almost immediately and by episode 3 Elfo is drinking, swearing and generally enabling Bean while Luci is suddenly her friend for some reason.

They also never address why Bean likes Luci at all since he overtly says that he’s there to screw her over. They really needed to either have Luci be much more cagey with his true intentions or have Bean be way more skeptical towards his suggestions and their relationship more antagonistic (at least at first). As it is now it’s really inconsistent to the point where it can be distracting.

She's very lonely.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

At her point in life, "I want you to do evil, but I want you to do the evil that YOU want to do" is genuinely one of the nicest and most encouraging things anyone's ever said to her

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Torquemadras posted:

At her point in life, "I want you to do evil, but I want you to do the evil that YOU want to do" is genuinely one of the nicest and most encouraging things anyone's ever said to her

Which totally seems like how they could have written things, the just seemed to not bother. This seems like a character driven show that was extremely disinterested in setting up any characters to have any motivation at all.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I liked the joke of "Can't we have one family vacation where we..." that seemed to be pulled straight from The Simpsons

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I'm with Zog, Luci should be a talking cat. Still just as destructive and murderous, but at least then there's a reason to keep Luci around, for the petting.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

She's very lonely.

Why is she lonely though? She has free run of the city, the populace seem fairly friendly and outgoing. Where are the kids her age?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I thought the last episode of the season was hilarious

not because it was actually funny, but because the pace and tone changed so dramatically it felt like I was watching a different show.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Why is she lonely though? She has free run of the city, the populace seem fairly friendly and outgoing. Where are the kids her age?

At the beginning of the party episode she climbs up the side of her tower with a guy she met at the donkey auction and when he finds out she's the princess he leaves, saying that anyone who gets involved with her ends up dead because of her father. I'm sure some of the drinking people she hangs out with are around her age, but they're not her friends. Celebrity isolating people and making them feel alone even when they're the most well-known person in the world is real thing.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i just can't feel bad for the literal princess, who is selfish and spoiled and who also kills people all the time

but i feel that the show expects me to sympathize with her because, uh, well it's not really giving me any great reasons

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Then watch Futurama pretty much straight through
No, don't watch any Futurama from after 2003.

Guy Mann posted:

a show that is explicitly trying to do something different
If that was their aim they failed miserably, because everything about this show screams "fantasy Futurama" except the quality.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I didn't dislike it, but I didn't laugh out loud at pretty much any of it.

Luci fell flat on pretty much any line though and after the first few episodes most of his lines didn't even seem to be interacting with the rest of the cast. Sometimes they wouldn't even react with different facial expressions and it made it feel weird.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I really like it. I don't think it's fair to compare it to futurama or the simpsons because its very clearly trying to be plot driven with a clear single story arc. I like that it's not trying hard to be funny and I think you have to stop yourself from thinking of it as a comedy show.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if it wants to be plot driven it needs to have plot in more than like two episodes

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One very disappointing item: during the intro to this show there wasn't a wacky message on the billboard before the ship crashes into it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Salt Fish posted:

I really like it. I don't think it's fair to compare it to futurama or the simpsons because its very clearly trying to be plot driven with a clear single story arc. I like that it's not trying hard to be funny and I think you have to stop yourself from thinking of it as a comedy show.

I agree, though I also think it's a funny show.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Salt Fish posted:

One very disappointing item: during the intro to this show there wasn't a wacky message on the billboard before the ship crashes into it.

The intro reminded me of the intro to that Jonah Hill cartoon from ages ago that I don't want to remember the name of, only the rest of the show turned out to be pretty enjoyable instead of making me curse God and all of existence for making me watch it (so yay for clearing the lowest of hurdles I guess).

I'm 6 or 7 episodes in and it's pretty entertaining, not mind blowing yet but it doesn't really have to be. It has a charm to it.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

So far there were a few funny moments here and there, and I like Bean as a character, but it plays like a watered down Futurama.

I really can't get into Elfo at all. Making fun of sugary cheerful Christmas elves, smurfs and the like has been done to death, Futurama already went to that well a bunch of times, and so has the Simpsons and Family Guy and Robot Chicken and Shrek and etc etc. When Elfo isn't being naive and childlike he's being whiny and passive aggressive. He has a couple funny parts where he's cheerfully oblivious to horrible things, but it's pretty one-note.
I really hope they don't make Bean and Elfo a couple. It's a total retread of the Fry and Leela dynamic except Fry had lovable qualities in addition to being naive and a loser.

Did I miss something in the episode where Elfo lies about having a girlfriend, because I thought he already had a girlfriend, Kissy the elf? Why did he have to make up a story, unless she doesn't count for some reason?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I just rewatched the first elf part to try to answer the kissy question because that made no sense to me either, it does look like they knew each other for about 5 minutes and their whole relationship was directly from him stealing a kiss to them immediately going to bed, which she's done with every single person in town.

However I just noticed how the next joke is like, written wrong? or something.

quote:

Elfo: I wanna taste something other than sweetness.I want to cry salty tears, learn bitter truths.I want to take a big, meaty bite out of life and dip it in mustard.

Elder: Mustard, vinegar, anchovies? These are the ravings of fools.

It's really weird and feels like they had a joke there then edited it and left the punchline. Or the joke is he was interpreting what elfo said literally then it was delivered all wrong. It's a little thing but it's really weird.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's really weird and feels like they had a joke there then edited it and left the punchline. Or the joke is he was interpreting what elfo said literally then it was delivered all wrong. It's a little thing but it's really weird.
Seriously? The joke is that this is a culture so profoundly sweet that talking about mustard is like if someone you knew kept seriously talking about unicorns or Frankensteins. The extra things mentioned are there to show that Elfo has made complaints like this before. This wasn't poorly done at all and I'm feeling pretty confused why you want jokes to be spelled out like "Elfo, mustard isn't a real thing and the way that you reference it is akin to those moments when you talk of the other myths of savory such as vinegar, which create an idea that you are not part of our society! Lo, the very idea! Here's a honking clown horn to let the audience of this television show know that these lines i have said, about you saying the word mustard and how it is antithetical to our societal construction were in fact, a jape! Honka honk!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Whalley posted:

Seriously? The joke is that this is a culture so profoundly sweet that talking about mustard is like if someone you knew kept seriously talking about unicorns or Frankensteins. The extra things mentioned are there to show that Elfo has made complaints like this before. This wasn't poorly done at all and I'm feeling pretty confused why you want jokes to be spelled out like "Elfo, mustard isn't a real thing and the way that you reference it is akin to those moments when you talk of the other myths of savory such as vinegar, which create an idea that you are not part of our society! Lo, the very idea! Here's a honking clown horn to let the audience of this television show know that these lines i have said, about you saying the word mustard and how it is antithetical to our societal construction were in fact, a jape! Honka honk!"

If you say so

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Crain posted:

Another issue with characterization: I keep seeing the characters as conglomerations of Groening's past characters the more I think about them. Part of that is the voices, but with very few exceptions all of the characters seem like pick and mix versions from the Simpsons and Futurama.

I actually appreciate this. It is clearly a different show from them, but at the same time it's still like, Yep this is Matt Groening's work.

It's kind of the same line as Beavis & Butthead and King of the Hill. Like they are totally different shows, but you still can appreciate the similarities coming from the same artist / writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Tiggum posted:

I don't know about Jewish, but I did notice that it was unusually American for that kind of fantasy setting.

especially the unlistenable british accents

• Locked thread