Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I mean they’re right, that very obviously is the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Moola posted:

Cheers this video was fantastic

It sums up what I hated about Disenchantment. All the jokes are weak with virtually no setup and no payoff

You'll probably like this essay then:

https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

this show sucks rear end.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I could not get past the first 5 minutes of the first episode. All the dialogue feels off.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The shows that have lines that work, but there are a ton of near misses or jokes that could have worked in a series. As someone else said, it is almost like the writing staff ran out of time and they just shipped it as is. Admittedly, a lot of the art is also all over the place as well (as others have mentioned).

I wonder what happened.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Whalley posted:

Seriously? The joke is that this is a culture so profoundly sweet that talking about mustard is like if someone you knew kept seriously talking about unicorns or Frankensteins. The extra things mentioned are there to show that Elfo has made complaints like this before. This wasn't poorly done at all and I'm feeling pretty confused why you want jokes to be spelled out like "Elfo, mustard isn't a real thing and the way that you reference it is akin to those moments when you talk of the other myths of savory such as vinegar, which create an idea that you are not part of our society! Lo, the very idea! Here's a honking clown horn to let the audience of this television show know that these lines i have said, about you saying the word mustard and how it is antithetical to our societal construction were in fact, a jape! Honka honk!"

He also doesn't mention vinegar or anchovies, which is why the response is so weird

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean they’re right, that very obviously is the joke

Obviously that is what the joke was going to be. And is what the joke would have been if they had given the script a few more passes or had the voice actors take a few more takes to deliver the lines right, but in context it's a really weird hanging joke that is emblematic of the show where it feels weirdly super obviously unfinished.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Moola posted:

I thought the last episode of the season was hilarious

not because it was actually funny, but because the pace and tone changed so dramatically it felt like I was watching a different show.

I probably won't say this about many tv shows, but this one really felt like it could have used the old 21 episode season length things used to get. Everything felt so rushed with regard to the characters and plot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Salt Fish posted:

its very clearly trying to be plot driven with a clear single story arc
It's very clearly not. Most of the episodes are almost entirely self-contained. There's the one apparently mandatory scene where the bad guys go "ooh look, our plan is totally working" and that's it.

dracky posted:

Did I miss something in the episode where Elfo lies about having a girlfriend, because I thought he already had a girlfriend, Kissy the elf? Why did he have to make up a story, unless she doesn't count for some reason?
Because his character (and every other character) is wildly inconsistent.

exmarx posted:

unlistenable british accents
:confused:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I do think there's a relatability problem with the cast, which was something Futurama was very good at, even with insane characters like Bender. Elfo is a weird blob of a character, Bean is the most privileged person in the world, and Luci is, well... Luci.

I think they will get there, though. But could use some variety.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I find people are super polarized on Matt Berry's accent, for one. I think he's loving hilarious and can't stop listening when he opens his mouth, but I've heard plenty of people say they can't stand the way he talks. Similarly for Noel Fielding, but I mean, dude was only in one episode and he barely sounded like himself. Then there was, uh... the chambermaid, Bunty? She had a thick British accent, but it was genuine and fit with the character. I can't think of any others with thick accents, honestly.

I agree with the person who said this would have benefitted from a 21-episode season; the characters were inconsistent, but not any more so than literally every other Groening character that's ever existed. We just had less episodes to balance out the inconsistencies. Fry goes from barely being aware of his own existence to a rainman-style secret genius to a regular excited dude at the drop of a hat, Marge goes from a depressed neurotic woman to a party mom to a crime lord depending on the episode... honestly, the closest any character has ever gotten to consistency is Professor Farnsworth, followed surprisingly closely by King Zog who is just a selfish out of touch guy who thinks replacing "actually trying" with wild honesty about his inadequacies is enough to make up for being a total dick.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well good news because that was just the first half of the 20 episode order.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Oh I know, I'm really excited for the rest; I loved this show, I just wish that all 20 had come out at once.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Obviously that is what the joke was going to be. And is what the joke would have been if they had given the script a few more passes or had the voice actors take a few more takes to deliver the lines right, but in context it's a really weird hanging joke that is emblematic of the show where it feels weirdly super obviously unfinished.

I mean, I got it no problem.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean, I got it no problem.

Like I can't exactly argue with you on what joke you find funny but listening to it it's a joke that is clearly delivered and/or written wrong that got all the way through the whole process and made it to screen which just seems weird. And if the joke was supposed to be some sort of weird high art joke where the joke is they left out the setup to the joke but we can still guess it from context then that just makes the joke weird because it's the only joke in the series written like that. Like there is clearly a version of the script he said anchovies at some point.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like I can't exactly argue with you on what joke you find funny but listening to it it's a joke that is clearly delivered and/or written wrong that got all the way through the whole process and made it to screen which just seems weird. And if the joke was supposed to be some sort of weird high art joke where the joke is they left out the setup to the joke but we can still guess it from context then that just makes the joke weird because it's the only joke in the series written like that. Like there is clearly a version of the script he said anchovies at some point.
no there isn't

it's a worldbuilding punchline that responds to a statement with a mildly funny joke that also reveals information about Elfo's place in and history with elf culture, it's not the fault of the show that you would have written it worse if you were on the team

e: it's not even a deep line or serious moment, it's just a one off quick thing in a character's introduction

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm with oocc, what we got in that scene was more the skeleton concept of a joke that could have been told there than an actually coherent and completed telling of a joke

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Whalley posted:

it's a worldbuilding punchline that responds to a statement with a mildly funny joke that also reveals information about Elfo's place in and history with elf culture, it's not the fault of the show that you would have written it worse if you were on the team

I mean, it really clearly seems like an editing mistake where elfo names flavors and one food then the elder lists foods like he's repeating elfo but the foods aren't even in order of the flavors. It's not some big thing this one joke got edited weird. It just seems obvious there was some issues with stuff like that in this show.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Wizgot posted:

I could not get past the first 5 minutes of the first episode. All the dialogue feels off.

me neither

the show is dogshit

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
groening wrote an evolving plot show in the vein of adventure time/steven universe, but the audience is all simpsons/futurama fans. recipe for disaster

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
How old IS Bean meant to be anyway? They seem a little inconsisent on how she's written in terms of emotional maturity.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OldMemes posted:

How old IS Bean meant to be anyway? They seem a little inconsisent on how she's written in terms of emotional maturity.

She was four years old 15 years ago which seems like an age where they are going to write her like she's 16 almost all the time but they wanted a bunch of scenes she takes her shirt off in public so she's actually a demon who is 19 years old.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Wizgot posted:

I hated the pacing in the pilot, but the episodes after that were a lot better.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

groening wrote an evolving plot show in the vein of adventure time/steven universe, but the audience is all simpsons/futurama fans. recipe for disaster

No it's more that the dialogue and 'jokey jokes' are really poorly written

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

She was four years old 15 years ago which seems like an age where they are going to write her like she's 16 almost all the time but they wanted a bunch of scenes she takes her shirt off in public so she's actually a demon who is 19 years old.

Hey listen. If you don’t like the show, that’s fine. But you don’t have to constantly post in the thread trying to convince everyone else that they’re wrong for liking it. I’m not against negative discussion and don’t think threads should just be for fellating stuff, but you and Tiggum are just being lovely at this point. Accept it’s not for you and move on.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

People didn't stop complaining about Simpsons once they started hating it

Such is life.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey listen. If you don’t like the show, that’s fine. But you don’t have to constantly post in the thread trying to convince everyone else that they’re wrong for liking it. I’m not against negative discussion and don’t think threads should just be for fellating stuff, but you and Tiggum are just being lovely at this point. Accept it’s not for you and move on.

now i feel bad for calling it dogshit

I'll finish the first episode on my commute home and make an honest effort to not judge it as dogshit

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Whiskey_Dick posted:

now i feel bad for calling it dogshit

I'll finish the first episode on my commute home and make an honest effort to not judge it as dogshit

If you don't like it, you don't like it. There's no apologizing for that and you don't owe Netflix or Matt Groening your time if you don't want to watch more than one episode or half of one episode or whatever.

I mean, I liked it and I think it's not as bad as some people in this thread are saying and repeatedly posting but I am also a weirdo who liked the Futurama movies (except Bender's Game, that one is lame) and the Comedy Central episodes soooooo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah unless you start responding to every question someone has with “they did it poo poo because it SUCKS AND IS BAD” you cool

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was actually worried this would just be Benders Game, but nope.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

hahah unless you start responding to every question someone has with “they did it poo poo because it SUCKS AND IS BAD” you cool

it got better, and I even watched most of the second one...some cute stuff, but no laughs yet. The jokes sort of remind me of unfunny dad jokes that you laugh at just so his feelings don't get hurt

The art style is cool though

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Escobarbarian posted:

Her age seems legitimately weird. Like they wrote her like she's a minor teen that is sneaking out of her bedroom at her parent's house but they also needed her to be old enough they could show her having sex and drinking and stuff so they picked the age of 19 which is like, simultaneously too young and too old for the various ways she's written.

I mean, simpsons has the same issue but opposite where bart and lisa are clearly in highschool where bart is in 4th grade and has like, a pregnant girlfriend at one point. and lisa is in 2nd grade and has a locker and stuff.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Her age seems legitimately weird. Like they wrote her like she's a minor teen that is sneaking out of her bedroom at her parent's house but they also needed her to be old enough they could show her having sex and drinking and stuff so they picked the age of 19 which is like, simultaneously too young and too old for the various ways she's written.
Like seriously is there any response you could read that would get you to stop sounding like a dummy

I've known a few rich kids who weren't literally royalty and they've been exactly like Bean up until around 23 or so. 19 isn't like a crazy mature age either - and parents tend to keep rules on kids that stay at home, and kids that stay at home tend to mature slower. Bean has exactly the emotional maturity of a 19 year old privileged douchey kid with an over protective parent who has also given up on really trying anymore with their kids. You don't hit 18 and instantly get osteoarthritis and a mortgage and opinions on capital gains taxes

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

where bart is in 4th grade and has like, a pregnant girlfriend at one point.

I’m sorry what?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Whalley posted:

a 19 year old privileged douchey kid with an over protective parent

And maybe there is some other show where they remembered to write king zog even remotely like.

IUG posted:

I’m sorry what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Big_Girl

Bart starts using Homer's car for his own pleasure, but is eventually tabbed for family errands (mostly chauffeuring Homer). Bart flees to North Haverbrook, where he meets a 15-year-old girl named Darcy, who believes Bart is much older. They begin a romantic relationship and Darcy soon proposes marriage, revealing that she is pregnant and, upon realizing that Bart believes pregnancy can be caused by kissing, implies Bart is the father. At the court house, Bart reveals his age, whereupon Darcy admits that Bart is not the father - the real father is a Norwegian exchange student, and she wants to get married because her parents would be upset about her extramarital pregnancy. Bart agrees to marry Darcy, and they drive to Utah, where marriage restrictions are looser and they can start a new life together. Eventually, Homer, Marge and Darcy's parents catch up with them to stop the wedding, where Darcy's father tries to reason with Bart as he believes that Bart took advantage of a girl much older than him and got her pregnant. Darcy confesses to her parents that Bart is not the father, and that she didn't want her parents to be disappointed by her pregnancy. Darcy's mother, thrilled, confesses that she is pregnant too, and the family agrees to pass the two babies off as twins. Darcy and Bart end their relationship, while Bart assures her they will meet again, to which she agrees. Later, Bart admits to Homer that he looked forward to being a father, and Homer cheers him up by going with him on a ride around town at night.[1]

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And maybe there is some other show where they remembered to write king zog even remotely like.
the rest of the sentence dude

and they did do exactly that

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I’ve tried watching this show three times and I’ve fallen asleep three times.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

There's a simplicity to the show that I like. You could view that as a negative but I really got tired of Futurama post Bender's Big Score with how overwrought everything started to seem. Basically, one probably has too high of an IQ if they don't enjoy this show.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Dork457 posted:

There's a simplicity to the show that I like. You could view that as a negative but I really got tired of Futurama post Bender's Big Score with how overwrought everything started to seem. Basically, one probably has too high of an IQ if they don't enjoy this show.

To be fair, you have to have a very middling IQ to enjoy Disenchantment. The humour is extremely plain, and with a solid grasp of medieval history, most of the jokes will bore a smart viewer's brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So far, I feel about this show the way Elfo feels about war.

• Locked thread