Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's a really lovely matchmaking spot, because Joanna doesn't really deserve another title shot but she's also beaten the rest of the top six in the division. Safest bet is the winner of Kowalkiewicz/Andrade is the next contender, and Esparza/Suarez is on the undercard, so you probably have Joanna fight the winner of that because she'll almost certainly murder either one of them and make her case for yet another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MysteryNad posted:

he's gone to a better place

no, son, mike goldberg didn't die! we just sent him up to spend his days playing on a farm with all your old childhood fighters, like jon fitch, and frank mir, and alessio sakara, and if you're really good maybe we can go visit them someday

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

that's pretty shrewd diazing, as that's one of like two top 10 lightweight fights i think he's the better style matchup in

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

the diaz brothers are amazing fighters to watch and fascinating people to follow, and they wouldn't be that way if they weren't the diaz brothers, but doing so comes with the inevitable disappointment of being reminded that at the end of the day they are the diaz brothers

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Agitating for a cross-division superfight when you haven't cleaned out your division is already lame, agitating for a cross-division superfight ninety seconds after you win the title is hilarious.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Just caught up on the results, so I take it when Cejudo gets home, Dana White will have replaced his house with an exact duplicate except everything is made of solid gold?

He's still a flyweight, so it's more like he'll get a golden ticket good for 50% off the continental breakfast at his hotel.

edit:

Dan Didio posted:

*in a voice so deep it could never come from a flyweight* TJ/Moraes.

If they're going to not do TJ/Cejudo, then yeah, TJ/Moraes while they figure out if Cruz still exists, and Cejudo vs the winner of Pettis/Formiga.

If they are, just suspend all titles and rankings and have everyone fight in a giant pit on a 24/7 livestream until WME runs out of money.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Dangersim posted:

Wtf was garbrandt doing getting hit with the same counter 3 times in a row lol

Garbrandt is really good at fighting, but for one, a ton of his success comes from being young and faster than everyone, and for two, TJ is extremely clearly living rent-free in his head and Garbrandt has no idea what to do about it and freaks the gently caress out because of it.

Garbrandt is never going to be able to beat TJ, and I think he's ultimately going to be let down as a fighter by his loyalty to TAM and their shirtless philosophies.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

JaySB posted:

Who is more deserving of a title shot? Moraes or Assuncao?

Moraes. It's not on-paper fair to Assuncao since they fought and Assuncao won, but Assuncao also already fought and lost a completely dominant decision to Dillashaw pretty recently. I feel liek the whole thing depends on if Cruz fights again; if he does, give Moraes the shot, do Cruz/Assuncao as a title eliminator and have Cody fight Rivera or Lineker; if he doesn't, still give the shot to Moraes, then do Cody/Assuncao, then throw the whole thing out because WME will set up Dillashaw vs Faber instead.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The problem is with any other fighter you can say "here's how they've improved in their subsequent fights" whereas in Cruz's case all you can say is "I hope his bones all work"

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

I still get laugh out of Joe screaming, "Noooo! Nooooooo!" as Wanderlei is caving in Cung Le's head with knees.

This and Frank Mir's utter heartbroken silence when Miguel got knocked out are the best.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rogan's certitude that Mayhem was going to outgrapple GSP over the course of their fight, and his growing befuddlement as GSP just beat the poo poo out of him, was great.

Rogan's informality is part of what makes him a good commentator, but his bias is always hilarious.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

JaySB posted:

Vick is gonna destroy him

vick's probably gonna win, yeah

Vick's underrated, he's got half a foot of reach on like everyone in the division and is actually decent at using it, and while Gaethje is a violence elemental who can gently caress up anyone on the planet in theory, he likes to do it behind leg kicks and swarming pressure and both of those are huge liabilities against a dude like Vick who can counter them with punches from the outside--Duffy got too into the leg kicks against him and got knocked out for it. We've never seen Vick fight someone with a pressure game like Gaethje's so it's entirely possible Gaethje could break him like he's done so many other dudes, but Vick should be the favorite.

Which is unfortunate, because gently caress James Vick.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Thatch is hard to beat as a candidate. Will Brooks is up there, too. Hector Lombard's my personal favorite; he was the terror of the entire world and the dude a lot of people picked to beat Anderson, and then he immediately got beat by Tim fuckin' Boetsch and is, what, 3-7-1 or something?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I almost said Sokoudjou earlier, because lord knows he had a shitton of hype after Pride folded, but I feel like it's less shameful than most because he was getting beat up by Machida and Banha and Babalu, which is a pretty tough ask.

Vera's also kind of tough because he only became a prospect thanks to a really good winning streak that included boatmurdering Frank Mir before that was a fashionable thing to do and his losses were five world champions (and he should've beaten Couture), Ben Rothwell on a lot of steroids, and Keith Jardine, the greatest fighter of the modern age.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Noctone posted:

I wonder what it is about Vick that makes it so satisfying to see him get ktfo. Must be just one of those punchable faces, because I know very little else about him.

He's a jackass who hangs out with and defends known rapists, your instincts are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CommonShore posted:

See i thought that repeatedly kicking Hughes in the groin would be a mark in his favour

He did it before the internet was aware of how much of a horror of a human Matt Hughes was, so people still resented him for it.

SASMMA also holds a grudge against Trigg because Kazuo Misaki was everyone's favorite fighter for awhile and right after he won the Pride GP Trigg very boringly ground him into paste.

• Locked thread