Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

One year after my wife and I got engaged, we went and got tattooed together. In September, ten years after we actually tied the knot, we are getting some more tattoos. My wife, being a sensible sort of person, is getting some of the embroidered pattern from her wedding dress. I, being a silly person, am getting a picture of the best lunch: a soup and a sandwich. (These are coincidentally the nicknames of our children, so it is not entirely unrelated to our marriage.) The artist has been recommended to me by my heavily-tattooed lab technician, and has asked for a source image to base the final design on.

So far, I am struggling to find a reference picture that matches exactly what I am after, the closest I have been able to find is this:

The elements I want are the black and white checked paper, a decent sandwich and a non-boring looking bowl of soup.

This is where you come in: I want the very best culinary minds available to recommend a photogenic sandwich and soup (and any garnishes) that would make an excellent tattoo. Because the very best culinary minds are not returning my calls, I have had to resort to asking GWS. I will pick the ones I like most, make them (assuming I have the necessary equipment, so sadly no sous vide), take a photo and use this as the source material for my tattoo (which I will also naturally share here).

Anyone who wants to join me in getting the best lunch tattooed on their body, please feel free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

One year after my wife and I got engaged, we went and got tattooed together. In September, ten years after we actually tied the knot, we are getting some more tattoos. My wife, being a sensible sort of person, is getting some of the embroidered pattern from her wedding dress. I, being a silly person, am getting a picture of the best lunch: a soup and a sandwich. (These are coincidentally the nicknames of our children, so it is not entirely unrelated to our marriage.) The artist has been recommended to me by my heavily-tattooed lab technician, and has asked for a source image to base the final design on.

So far, I am struggling to find a reference picture that matches exactly what I am after, the closest I have been able to find is this:

The elements I want are the black and white checked paper, a decent sandwich and a non-boring looking bowl of soup.

This is where you come in: I want the very best culinary minds available to recommend a photogenic sandwich and soup (and any garnishes) that would make an excellent tattoo. Because the very best culinary minds are not returning my calls, I have had to resort to asking GWS. I will pick the ones I like most, make them (assuming I have the necessary equipment, so sadly no sous vide), take a photo and use this as the source material for my tattoo (which I will also naturally share here).

Anyone who wants to join me in getting the best lunch tattooed on their body, please feel free!

This is splendidly idiotic. The problem, as I see it, and having devoted most of the afternoon to serious contemplation, is that most soup is not very photogenic, and that that the differences in soup, ultimately being bowls of liquid, are not very marked. That said, you do have to consider a smooth soup, chunky, or something in between. Have you considered French onion, with the Gruyere-covered crouton on top?

As for sandwiches, one must first ask: what qualifies as a sandwich?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

grilled cheese and tomato soup

simple and anyone alive before school lunches became armarak cancer remembers them well

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

since a taco is a sandwhich and I cannot find a grilled cheese taco picture I feel it doesn't apply though. sorry

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

most soup is not very photogenic

Garnish, my boy. Garnish. I was thinking of a nice gazpacho, and a reuben.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
i phtooshoped a mockup for u

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

cubano and minestrone; they're an average combo but great to look at

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Doubling down on the French onion soup option, and keeping with the theme I'd go with a croque madame.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Gumbo and a poboy

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
here's the best soup and sandwich combo

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
cup of coffee and sandwich is way better.

just find emojis of soup and sandwich

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Chickencheese

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

THIS, PICK THIS

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
there is a 890 page PYF thread that might help

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766830

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I googled 'soup tattoo'. Ramen/Pho soup is cute and not flat/boring. I think the campbells soup can is iconic but people might assume you're a warhol fanboy or something.

A bowl, an open can of campbells tomato soup and a grilled cheese sando with cheese oozing out sounds pretty tops to me

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

To me, the quintessential image of "sandwich" is a club sandwich, which I think would translate well to ink. Bright colors, distinct layers, simple shape... plus they come with a frilly toothpick!

If I have time tomorrow, I'll make one at my restaurant and do a custom photo for you. We even have the checkered paper at our sister store next door (though it's red and white, not b&w).

How big is your tat gonna be? We serve a very pretty veggie soup, but if it's a small tat that'll be tricky to convey all the mushroom slices and carrot cubes and whatnot.

Also, are you going for photo realism, or stylized?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

JacquelineDempsey posted:

they come with a frilly toothpick!

This is a good call, and I do really love a good club sandwich.

The tattoo will be on my calf, and will be around 6” square, but the artist is pretty amazing and will be able to get a good amount of detail in.

I’ve asked him to go for a sort of ‘50s style, not quite photo-realism, more like a hand-drawn image from an advert...

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You know tattoo artists are artists and can actually draw their own tattoos right? A lot of them are going to rework whatever you give them as a reference for tattoo layout purposes and general tattoo-ability anyway. I would not worry about things like composition and just tell them what kind of sandwich and soup and let them do their thing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

rockcity posted:

You know tattoo artists are artists and can actually draw their own tattoos right? A lot of them are going to rework whatever you give them as a reference for tattoo layout purposes and general tattoo-ability anyway. I would not worry about things like composition and just tell them what kind of sandwich and soup and let them do their thing.

While that's true, the more specific and concrete your vision, the better results you can expect. If you have a source picture, even better.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

While that's true, the more specific and concrete your vision, the better results you can expect. If you have a source picture, even better.

This is pretty much what the artist said. I went in to talk to him about it: I know he’s going to put his own interpretation and style on the tattoo, but he said the better the starting image, the better the tattoo.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I actually very much disagree with this and a lot of tattoo artists would too. I am not saying all of them would, but I personally know a ton of artists who actually hate getting clients who give them exact references because it's basically handcuffing their creativity. If it's straight photorealism, that's a different story though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rockcity posted:

I actually very much disagree with this and a lot of tattoo artists would too. I am not saying all of them would, but I personally know a ton of artists who actually hate getting clients who give them exact references because it's basically handcuffing their creativity. If it's straight photorealism, that's a different story though.

With how often I see tattoos misspelled I think a reference is best.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Completely disagree. Some of the best tattoos come from the artist having total control. Source pictures can be helpful but the main creative, artistic input should come from the artist if they're decent.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Well, my guy has asked me for a source picture, and he was personally recommended by a person I trust, so I’m going to provide a source picture.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

rockcity posted:

The tattooists I know all prefer to work with a source picture. They can work without one, but especially in a situation like this where the client knows roughly what they want already, reference makes it much easier to come up with a good final drawing.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Scientastic posted:

Well, my guy has asked me for a source picture, and he was personally recommended by a person I trust, so I’m going to provide a source picture.

I think what we are mostly saying is that the source picture doesn't need to exactly represent what you're after.

Anyway, I'm not sure what exactly is in the most tattooable sarnie, but it needs to have distinct layers and some different colours in those layers. I guess that means we need to start with some greenery and tomato but make it more exciting than a BLT... Or maybe I am just really into those superheros posted above.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ask your kids for their favorites, since it's their names

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

what if the kids choose a pizza as their fav sandwich?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
FYI this is going to look like you have clipart tattooed on your body.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

what if the kids choose a pizza as their fav sandwich?

What even is a sandwich?

Get 2 slices of pizza with liquid nitrogen frozen soup as the filling between the slices.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I finally settled on what soup, and what sandwich. Despite not really being a classic combination, I went with a bowl of Gazpacho and a Reuben, largely because these are the names of my kids’ teddy bears.

To begin, I made Gazpacho:

100g stale white bread (not pictured), soaked in cold water for 20m, then squeezed out
1kg very ripe tomatoes, diced
1 ripe red pepper, deseeded and diced
1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
150ml extra virgin olive oil
2tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt
Garnishes: Diced cucumber, finely sliced spring onions, diced red pepper, chopped mint

This soup is dead simple: blend all the ingredients, pass through a sieve, cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with garnishes scattered over the top

Then, I made Russian dressing:

2.5 tbsp mayo
2 tbsp sour cream
1.5 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp finely chopped dill pickles
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp fresh horseradish/wasabi
Salt and pepper

Again, pretty simple: Combine the ingredients and blend until smooth

Finally, I made my Reuben sandwich:

200g pastrami (I couldn’t get deli-style corned beef)
100g sauerkraut
4 slices rye bread
35g butter
4 slices swiss cheese
Russian dressing

Preheat the oven to 180
Lay a sheet of foil onto a rimmed baking sheet, place the beef into the middle and turn up the edges to form walls
Add 30ml of water, seal the package and heat for 10m
In a small saucepan, warm the kraut
Brush one side of each slice of bread with butter, fry for around 2m until golden brown
Lay each slice onto a clean baking sheet, untoasted side up
Spread dressing on each slice
Drain the beef and kraut
On half the slices, mound the beef, followed by the kraut and top with a slice of cheese
On the other half, just the cheese
Toast in the oven until the cheese has melted, about 3m
Close sandwiches

Finally, I assembled all my ingredients, and took way more photos than I needed to, settling on this one.

I ate it, and it was good. I was pleasantly surprised by how good a combination the cold soup and the hot sandwich was, it was just the thing on a hot Saturday in August.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scientastic posted:

I ate it, and it was good. I was pleasantly surprised by how good a combination the cold soup and the hot sandwich was, it was just the thing on a hot Saturday in August.

This looks great. I made gazpacho a couple weekends ago and left some cucumber un-blended in the final product, added back after the rest had been pureed. It was a really nice textural contrast to the frosty smoothness of the rest of the soup.

Do you have an artist lined up for your ink?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yes, it’s been booked for a while, it’s a place in hipster-filled Dulwich. One of my friends (who has basically her whole body done) recommended it.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

The Midniter posted:

This looks great. I made gazpacho a couple weekends ago and left some cucumber un-blended in the final product, added back after the rest had been pureed. It was a really nice textural contrast to the frosty smoothness of the rest of the soup.

Do you have an artist lined up for your ink?

The best part of gazpacho is adding some garnishes. I usually dice up some cucumber and green into cubes and throw it in. Some people like to add slightly stale bread as well (also cut into cubes) as it adds another slightly different textural element.

What I'm saying is Gazpacho is great and easy and i should make some.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yours looks good but did you consider this classic combo?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's been a week since I got it, but I thought I'd share it here!

If anyone is ever in London and wants a tattoo, I'd recommend the place I got it, and the artist was great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
That's a thing of beauty, really nice!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Scientastic posted:

It's been a week since I got it, but I thought I'd share it here!

If anyone is ever in London and wants a tattoo, I'd recommend the place I got it, and the artist was great.

What are the white things on the ham? chopped onion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's sauerkraut, and that's not ham.

• Locked thread