Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/sportsinsights/status/1013768795041730560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Wow those are some odds.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Seems a bit high for the Bills.

Nov 6, 2002

I love it when big guys try to catch punts or kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsDNPtDu3bU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

adam gase is now HC, OC and CB

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1023674527006564354

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
To follow up on the old thread, I don't think it's too crazy to expect Mike Gesicki to be productive as a rookie pass catcher so long that he isn't held too closely to the traditional roles of a tight end. Look at this poo poo:

Mike Gesicki
Height: 6054
Weight: 247
40 Yrd Dash: 4.54
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 41 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.10
3-Cone Drill: 6.76

Mike Evans
Height: 6046
Weight: 231
40 Yrd Dash: 4.53
20 Yrd Dash: 2.66
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 12
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26
3-Cone Drill: 7.08

The stuff that makes it harder for rookie tight ends to be productive is probably the stuff that he's going to suck at anyway. I think he's hosed if they expect him to release out of a three point stance, much less block... but if he's going to get a bunch of snaps detached, I don't see why he can't be productive early. An inability to deal with press coverage might limit his upside, but 300-500 yards seems reasonable to me considering how just his physical parameters might make him difficult to defend even on the NFL level.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So he's a slightly heavier, but also more athletic, stronger and more agile Mike Evans. That is really interesting actually, almost like the next logical step in tight end evolution. Personally I prefer TEs who can catch, block and do everything but I realize the sport is not going that direction.

What I don't like about tight ends who can't block is that defenses can clue into whether the play is a run or a pass by which tight end is in the game. But if your TE is a Mike Evans clone then that's a huge advantage which could make up for it

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can’t believe future hall of famer Mike Gesicki fell to the Miami Dolphins in the second round

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Play posted:

So he's a slightly heavier, but also more athletic, stronger and more agile Mike Evans. That is really interesting actually, almost like the next logical step in tight end evolution. Personally I prefer TEs who can catch, block and do everything but I realize the sport is not going that direction.

What I don't like about tight ends who can't block is that defenses can clue into whether the play is a run or a pass by which tight end is in the game. But if your TE is a Mike Evans clone then that's a huge advantage which could make up for it

I don't know that teams really rotate guys in based on run or pass like that at this point- teams generally just take their lumps with lovely blockers or find ways to mitigate it. Hell, in 2018 you've even got NFL coaches buying into the idea that getting serious about running the ball isn't about piling as many players in a clump as possible and creating a bunch of gaps the defense has to defend, and instead will spread teams out and just win the gaps they create.

Having a tight end who can't really block worth a poo poo is a missed opportunity though- it's really one of the components that makes the position hard to defend. You can't just stick a corner on Rob Gronkowski, if he lines up in-line you're stuck trying to defend a gap in the run game with a cornerback unless you'r'e very creative. I doubt you're going to be able to say the same thing about Gesicki.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Play posted:

More athletic and agile than Mike Evans? Just based on combine stats? I mean liked him as a player too but Evans is top 5 pass catcher in the NFL...

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bills defense looking to be pretty elite!

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/1024673580896931842

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
lol it's gonna be a real interesting offense once shady's arrested and benjamin's hurt

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Raku posted:

lol it's gonna be a real interesting offense once shady's arrested and benjamin's hurt

Crap, I'm a part time fan and I'm having trouble thinking of who else is even on the team offensively other than All-Pro Charles Clay.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

waah posted:

Crap, I'm a part time fan and I'm having trouble thinking of who else is even on the team offensively other than All-Pro Charles Clay.

They have an UDFA in Robert foster that may have caught 20 passes for Bama last year

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Good to see Josh Allen is leading the pack.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mcmagic posted:

More athletic and agile than Mike Evans? Just based on combine stats? I mean liked him as a player too but Evans is top 5 pass catcher in the NFL...

Yeah sorry I don't actually believe he's more athletic than Mike Evans, I was just pointing out his good cone numbers and the fact that his combine numbers on general are pretty good

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

waah posted:

Zay Jones?

I hope Taiwan Jones is still on the team because his name is real cool.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Counterpoint : There is no winning move here, its the Bills. If those QBs did well, we would be like :rip: defense.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Gonna use this as my new Omar thread

https://twitter.com/bigj9797/status/1024784790086709248

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

oh shi

https://twitter.com/omarkelly/status/1024792255473872896

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Raku posted:

The Bills have apparently transcended the need for "points" and "scorers".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hot fire.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Robert Foster is taking first team reps for the Bills? Guys, I'm not sure he took first team reps at Bama. Ridley, Jeudy, Devonta Smith were all clearly better.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

pasaluki posted:

The Bills have apparently transcended the need for "points" and "scorers".

You only need to score a field goal to win the game if your defense is good enough.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

You only need to score a field goal to win the game if your defense is good enough.

Not true. A bad offense can give up points, too.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

torgeaux posted:

Not true. A bad offense can give up points, too.

Sure, but the great thing about Tyrod is his ball secu... Wait...:(

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Sure, but the great thing about Tyrod is his ball secu... Wait...:(

I hope Josh Allen puts up amazing garbage time stats so that people can tell me how much better he is than Tyrod.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I should say that as bearish as I am on Allen, it is insanely loving dumb that he's getting almost exclusively third-team snaps.

Nov 6, 2002

Nobody puts AJ Mccarron in a corner.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

fsif posted:

I should say that as bearish as I am on Allen, it is insanely loving dumb that he's getting almost exclusively third-team snaps.

No other team would have split the first team reps as evenly has they have this far. Especially for a rookie that struggles sometimes with screen passes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

He should start. Sitting young QB's is dumb.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

IMPORTANT UPDATE to the omar kelly and jordan phillips saga

https://twitter.com/bigj9797/status/1025037922637172737

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Raku posted:

No other team would have split the first team reps as evenly has they have this far. Especially for a rookie that struggles sometimes with screen passes.

They haven't been split that evenly. Peterman and McCarron have alternated working primarily with the 1's while the other works with the 2's. Allen has only been getting like 8 first-team snaps at the end of practice and doesn't even ever play with the second team.

The Bills drafted him to be their franchise quarterback. They shouldn't be so concerned with a bad journeyman and a fifth-round, second-year player's development.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

They haven't been split that evenly. Peterman and McCarron have alternated working primarily with the 1's while the other works with the 2's. Allen has only been getting like 8 first-team snaps at the end of practice and doesn't even ever play with the second team.

The Bills drafted him to be their franchise quarterback. They shouldn't be so concerned with a bad journeyman and a fifth-round, second-year player's development.

The could be having instant buyer's remorse, like the Jets did with Hack two years ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The could be having instant buyer's remorse, like the Jets did with Hack two years ago.

You can't bury the 7th pick in the draft the way the Jets buried a 2nd rounder.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Omar has now named Phillips a top performer for today and is taking credit for motivating him hahahahaha

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

fsif posted:

He's also a project quarterback even if you're in the minority that thinks he'll be good one day. They shouldn't even plan on him seeing the field this year because he's not good at football yet.

Nov 6, 2002

Raku posted:

He's also a project quarterback even if you're in the minority that thinks he'll be good one day. They shouldn't even plan on him seeing the field this year because he's not good at football yet.

Yeah I kinda agree here. If they actually recognize his limitations and are willing to wait and see if he can develop there's no reason he should be running with the 1st team offense all camp. Leave that to the guys who are actually going to start this year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Raku posted:

He's not going to get good by sitting. Let him play and suck and throw picks and you will see signs if he's going to be good. Thats how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

mcmagic posted:

He's not going to get good by sitting. Let him play and suck and throw picks and you will see signs if he's going to be good. Thats how it works.

I don't know why you would doubt the coach who had the bright idea of starting Nathan Peterman???