Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Never watched a lick of Japanese women's wrestling before but if the NXT sign overs are any indication of the level of talent they have... I may have to check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
:shepspends: Subbed and started night 1. Thank you for the awesome OP. Trying to figure out who's who is a real puzzler right away but I am already 4 matches in and I can tell it's going to be worth it.

coconono posted:

Stardom book Jamie Hayter more, please.

Yup. She seems pretty awesome. drat.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

coconono posted:

here's the spot where Tam's back got hosed up:

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1031942991122980864

That was a great match. I'm really diggin' on Utami Hayashishita as my favorite so far next to Konami, Hazuki and miss Hayter.

Night 2 had a lot of surprise last second reversal pins for shock value. Almost like they were trying to get across that anyone could win at any time.

I really enjoy not having an announce team. Just lots of screaming and hard hitting. I figure there is some history between certain wrestlers that I'm missing out on but it doesn't matter all that much when the matches get going. I'll start getting used to who uses what finishers eventually and can guess on some of the belt holders to have taken them from a few of the others in the past I'm sure.

Speaking of belts, what is the system here? White, silver and red? Which one is best. How many belts are there exactly? What does the winner of this tournament get? Shot at a title like in NJPW?

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Oh, well I found this that helped

http://www.stardom-world.com/champions/

Noticed that last years G1 winner signed with that other company's UK division. Gross.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Go RV! posted:

Man I could have not typed all that :argh:

Not at all, I appreciate the explanations. Pictures only do so much. Thanks for getting us all into this.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Phenix Rising posted:

I really hate Kimber Lee's stupid split counter. It looks dumb every time and she just winds up getting grabbed by her opponent anyway. Also, her, Klein, and Ellering is like the least interesting trios team ever.

Hah, this is a good point. I'm not familiar with her but I read she's been wrestling everywhere for quite some time. So when I saw her do it the first night, I thought "huh, must be some unique move she does. Kind of neat." Then the second night was like, "okay, I saw that already and why are you doing this again? It doesn't seem to work." The finger wave isn't an unstoppable taunt. It's a annoying mom move that makes you look pretty dumb. Especially when most everyone else is throwing angry heat strikes and power moves.

After watching Momo's third match against Natsu, I'm starting to see why she's been booked as strong as she is. At 18, that's a little rear end kicker in the making! Fun to see some of the vehement hatred after the match between Oedo Tai and her given their history. Hopefully QQ will be able to thrive without Io. That seems like a pretty big loss.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Jamie Hayter's knees have been SUPER soft the last two matches. She completely missed against the ropes vs Nicole Savoy. That match... I dunno. Disappointing.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Just got around to the Saki Kashima vs Kelly Klein match... there's a happy medium somewhere with the knees strikes and that wasn't it. That was a bit uncomfortable to watch but to be fair, looks like she tripped in to it almost. Lucky there was nothing broken. Solid finish with one last heavy knee (double slap) for a grueling 6 minute semi-squash for women who is triple Saki's size. Glad she didn't kick out of that.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

It was nice to hear Stardom brought up during the Observer Report's live fan Q&A before All In when the last question was from a female fan asking why women's wrestling is terrible and where could she turn for quality stuff to get in to.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

coconono posted:

06 Blue Stars
Mayu Iwatani vs Natsu Sumire
SHENANIGANS Natsu does her usual schtick and then things get wild. Would be match of the night.

I can't remember the last time I saw a wrestler drug out the front door of the venue and thrown out in to the street. ECW from the 90's? The run down the street was comical. Loved it.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Go RV! posted:

Konami/Ellering is notable because Ellering gets Real Mad at Konami for being so stiff and throws a temper tantrum the back half of the match. It gives her some intensity that she needs as a wrestler, but the whole thing is real weird.

Yes, I'm glad someone said something about this as I was watching that end and going... "what the hell was that all about?" It was funny seeing Chris Hero hand off an energy drink from the table in the back to Rachael as she storms off. The look on his face was frustrated embarrassment.

Also that night Nicole Savoy got a few colored streamers thrown at her for what looked like the first time ever. :3:

Hey Go RV!, can you post that tournament spreedsheet in an excel format or something instead of a just a picture? I've been keeping track of winners and losers and could share with everyone but my MS paint filling red/green looks pretty horrid. We could maybe figure out the standings together more easily that way.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Go RV! posted:

It's a little weird that Konami and Nicole both only have two matches left, but Kimber has five.

That is weird. Incoming splits spots for days I guess?

Good recap on the points. Thanks for that.

coconono posted:

I can't tell wtf KONAMI did to Rachel but she needs to do that more. gently caress people up, Rach.

I can only guess that maybe she has a legit sore shoulder or something and Konami gave no fucks and kept cranking and cranking on it over and over to the point of Rachel having had enough.

Demtor fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 10, 2018

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

9/8 - Nicole vs Mayu - They had good chemistry together in ring. It was a great match too up until the end which kind of ruined it. If my math is correct, Nicole is now eliminated and she lost out via a hosed up rollup. Too bad as she is probably the best of the western women in the tournament.

Kagetsu vs Jungle Kyona - Love it when Jungle goes berzerk with her screams and lariats. Very convincing offensive stuff to back up that anger and those top rope dives she and Tora do, look like they'd really hurt! Kagetsu is just a main event machine though. What's this, three in a row and this one a DRAW?! Didn't see that coming. Good stuff though. Super convincing ref assault, muahaha.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Tora's growing on me. Her match against Kagetsu there and then the match against Tam from 9/9 - BIG win for her, wow. :woop: She can really bring it. I haven't seen the last two matches from that night yet, but I'd say the bar was set high there. They really went after each other. Lots of great knees and viciousness from both women. Three top rope dives. THREE!! I had flashbacks of watching Tanahashi chaining high fly flows for a second. Props to Tam for selling on the ground like she's really struggling to get up but just can't.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Huh. 9/9 - I guess draws aren't that rare in the Stardom's tourney. Not sure how I feel about that.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Go RV! posted:

I'm not sure that's correct, Momo is 18

That still boggles my mind and is an awesome fact to throw out to others watching her for the first time.

It's really too bad we couldn't get the 9/16 matches when things are coming so close near the finish for some of these wrestlers. I would have loved to see Mayu Iwatani vs Hazuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Go RV! posted:

The Finals of the tournament is up early, when there's a big match, they generally throw it up before the rest.

:siren: If you don't want to know who wins the blocks, don't click on the finals block on the match listing! :siren:

e: FINAL MATCH SPOILERS
The final match was... fine. It was fine. I wouldn't even say it was a highly recommended one if it was just a block match. Mayu bumped around for Utami like a goddamn pinball, though. They really attached a rocket to Utami this tourney, considering she had literally only one match previous to this. I hope it pays off, because she's good, but she's still very green. But since Mayu just faced Kagetsu right before the GP, this probably means that Momo is going to take both belts this weekend.

Super excited to see the rest of the card.

:what: Why did they do this?? First it took them a reeaaally long time to post the 9/16 matches (glad they did finally, but drat) and then I click to view the awesome arrangement of the 9/24 matches and WHAM, there is the final. Welp, guess I know the results of all the other matches now. So much for diligently following the points race to build the tension for the last matches. Thanks for that. *eyeroll* What the hell? Pretty hosed up way to finish a tournament's final day by making GBS threads on all the other matches with the finalists shown first.

• Locked thread