Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im putting my redline on craigslist for $1500 tomorrow unless one of u guys wanna own a piece of AI history

i just want it out of my driveway at this point

Big old nope, and I'm local. Still, post the ad.

Feels like it should be Thursday or Friday at this point. Pretty meh week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The only advantage of 3rd shift, i've already worked 3 days this week.

That's also the disadvantage. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Goddamn, insurance is so hosed in this country. I am a salaried employee for a Fortune motherfucking TEN company...For me to get allergy shots (nothing OTC works, this is my best chance of something working since I'm allergic to literally everything) would max out my deductible ($3500) and likely out of pocket max ($5500 I think?) this year, and do the same for the next 3-5 years. They said with my insurance that it's about $5-600 per shot. You get a bunch of them up front (4-5) then monthly after that for 3-5 years since you need the shots for that length of time for permanent results.

Big ole fuckin' nope on that, I'll live with it. :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I miss having local friends, and every time I find a car group, if I ever mention I'm progressive or support emissions regs, they explode.

Good idea to talk politics right away to people you barely know. :thunk:

People are very judgmental to strangers, but less so when they get to know you a bit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

....talking about emissions regs is verboten? drat.

But I'm the problem, thanks.

You chose the one part of my statement that didn't really apply. You mentioned you're progressive...are you communicating that to people like you're a vegan or don't own a TV or just that you don't agree with rolling back emissions regs and therefore a progressive?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

He is the best.

This guy fucks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

everdave posted:

Please if this is getting tiring y’all just let me know. Ha.

Go stick your dick in whichever exhaust pipe you want and stop asking the internet.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Today has been alright. Busy at work which is unusual but good. Supposed to rain here all week. So much for riding my bike. :(

Was looking into buying a house that is crazy nice but would stretch the budget a bit (still between 2-3x our income and we don't have any other debt besides our mortgage) and I just can't pull the trigger on it. I'd rather live more comfortably in our smaller house and not have to worry much about finances. We'll keep looking for another deal to pop up but the market is stupid in our area. That 3 car garage just ain't happening for awhile.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Homelink is awesome. I bought the mirror for my car because after having it on another, I missed it too much. Nice not having extra remotes in the car that look tacked on, really cleans things up. That and autodimming, but I wonder how that will work now that my windows are tinted.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Wrar posted:

Welcome to the AI Parents club. May your child sleep so you can sleep (eventually).

My kiddo just turned one. She still doesn't sleep consistently.

Aye, congrats! It'll happen, eventually. Ours didn't sleep through the night for about 7-8 months. Now it's maybe once a week she'll yell in the night and lull herself back to sleep. She's gonna be 1 next month :3:.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:( What is it with July/August in AI?

I think it's every month at this point. :smith:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Forcing the hell out of that metaphor, are we?

Regarding other chats, I always planned to live forever, but would have laughed at you if you told me I would have a kid. I still feel like I've done a terrible thing though, both in inflicting the world as it is (especially in the US) upon my daughter, and in inflicting my daughter upon the world, sometimes. Other times, I think the world deserves it.

Aye, cut that poo poo out.

Yeah :same: on the kid front. Never thought I'd ever have kids or marry, especially as a child of divorce.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: baby chat - assuming I usually work 10 hour days and have a kid next year, is there any chance of actually making it to the gym 6 days a week as I (try to) do now? I'm wondering if that's completely insane to consider as a possibility.

:lol:

What's your significant other situation? Are they going to be home or work full time? My wife and I both work full time and daycare hours are 7am-6pm. I only work about 8.5 hour days and go in early so I can get out early enough to bike or gym it up, then pick the kid up from daycare. It's a small window but it's been nice being able to do it still to some degree.

Weekends are different obviously. But anything you choose to do forces your partner (or someone, but we don't live near family so it's just us) to watch the kid alone. There will be guilt and possibly resentment. I try to encourage my wife to do stuff as best I can and not make her feel bad for some alone time and vice versa, but it's still a tough balance.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 8, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Marauder Stig posted:

Anyone familiar with the Detroit area? I'm thinking about going to Pontiac for the Roadkill Nights thing this weekend and I'm booking a hotel in Madison Heights. Is that a dangerous part of town? Is that far enough way from the Robocop parts of Detroit?

Madison heights is generally fine. Royal oak is white yuppie bro central which is right next to it. Closer to RO vs. Warren though if you're really worried about it. Pontiac is pretty sketchy though if anything.

That's not even Detroit you pussy. Even downtown Detroit isn't a big deal nowadays. At least during daytime. Wife works down there and I'm not worried for her nowadays.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Marauder Stig posted:

oh, that's all I needed to hear, thanks. My dad used to work at an oil refinery(or something like it) in Detroit in the 90s and the stories he had about just trying to get to work were completely insane...or probably exaggerated. He wasn't exaggerating about a coworker getting murdered in the parking lot, though. :smith:

Yikes. Surely there are still bad areas but I think you'll be fine. Have fun!

Seminal Flu posted:

Car advice needed --

What's the best way to get the best $$$ for a 1-owner 1993 LS400 Coach Edition with ~50k miles in the Bay Area? It's an old man's that can't drive anymore. It's supposedly pristine, but I cannot vouch for that.

My first thought is to just take a bunch of pictures and put it on BaT to see what it brings. It's kinda an oddball, since it's towards the end of the first generation. I happen to be a fan of the second generation, so I haven't been following the first gens much. Also, what would a something like that sell for? I"m thinking $6-7k?

Keep in mind that BaT curates their ads and you may not get approved even if it's a nice example. My FiL had a 924 that he wanted to sell on there and got turned down. He was pretty pissed at the snobbery. :lol:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Those people are bad and should feel bad.

:wrong:

It's basic and lame. I also feel ok not asking the internet for advice about who to gently caress, :lol:.

Who knows, maybe to everdave a Ferrari is really a badly done Fiero kit car. And the Camry has a real bad case of Camry corners. As an internet person I'm fine not knowing, whatever the case may be. You do you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Also work is giving me a Nintendo Switch unless I want to get some other ~$300-ish piece of gear for my anniversary gift but I can't think of anything else to pick really. So let's hear your Switch game recommendations too!

Botw is amazing, make this priority 1.
Mario and rabbids was a waste of money, imo. It's ok but was too long and tedious.
Mario was just ok. I think I grew out of this genre. No desire to keep playing after the final boss, too much poo poo to collect and the controls didn't do it any favors.
Golf story is fun. Would recommend if you like golf...or RPGs... It's funny and quirky.
Steamworld dig 2 is a great Metroidvania.
Okami hd just released today and is supposed to be very good. Probably my next pick up.

If you want multiplayer games I've got nothing for you. Friends? :lol: Outside of a few big releases, there's a ton of indie stuff that's good. I'm kind of mum about the system currently and it doesn't get a lot of playtime anymore since a lot of the big games are multiplayer and not to appealing to me (smash, kart, Splatoon, etc).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

What's the most offensive joke I can make about something unexpected under the hood?

Something something front mount intake system. The thing ricers put on to look like an intercooler that weren't.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Grakkus posted:

I have a problem.

If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Always cool to see old French stuff we (probably?) didn't get over here.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno gets teabagged by AI once again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You guys are the ones who will have my dna on your balls without me having to touch any of you.

Edit: it would be amusing if one of you decides to forgo a vasectomy just because of my association with the production of the material.

I don't think anyone views you important enough (besides you :v:) to care about such things. And it's a medical environment, your nasty should be sterilized off of it beforehand.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anyone else watch the MotoGP race? What a great race, drat.

Not yet but probably later today. Always the best racing in that series.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It's not boring when it has not only power but reliability. :v:

Having driven a couple ls swapped 7s, it's a pretty slick setup for a lightish car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

If you are going to just turn every car into some copy of an American car in a different body, then what's the point?

But it's not? It's the same car with almost negligible weight gains generally for the aluminum LS versions, so it doesn't really change the chassis feel or weight distribution much. It's nice in an RX7 with an independent rear end.

By your logic, a 4th gen Z28 and a LS swapped RX7 are the same car. :iiaca: One weighs about 1000+ lb more than the other, and goes only in a straight line.

Yeah, it's the "easy button" of engine swaps but it's done commonly for a reason. :feelsgood: Drive one before getting all sadbrains and judgemental about it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Commie, if nothing else at least you're passionate...about some strange things. :) To each their own.

AI fit club: I've been biking a lot this summer so far, down to lowest adult weight I've probably ever been. Saw 191-192 on the scale and I'm usually chilling around 200 and have been since college, 10+ years ago. I was at a max of 217 when I had surgery, though. So far so good, I'd like to get down to 180 and see how that feels. Less to push on the bike, if nothing else. :v:

Edit: ^^ yikes. I'd try to cool down for a day or two before deciding to go to HR about it. I too would want to do something, though.

No matter what this sounds like a tough road. :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ha ha jeez, squats are a hard no with my knees. I'm actually back to using myfitnesspal which had my goals and stuff in. Tended to work pretty well about tracking stuff. I'm totally not opposed to gutting this poo poo out, but it's always going to be gutting it out - even when I was consistently doing it, it was gutting it out and making myself do it.

For the rest... look, what I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure that my reaction to the idea of improving my life with exercise (the kneejerk reactions to it etc) are a symptom of completely untreated depression that probably has a bunch of other effects on poo poo in my life that are more easily masked. For example - it's easy to look at lack of success in jobhunting / career stuff and say that it's because I'm a worthless human being - it kinda blends in with lack of success. When I react that way to the idea of diet and exercise though... it's more obvious that something's askew and once I start seeing that there's so much other poo poo that's on the same pattern.

So I think in addition to trying to do diet and exercise, I'm going to try to see if I can get some of my sadbrain poo poo worked on.

Reading your posts before this one, I thought "sounds like textbook depression." I've struggled with it in the past (though I'm no expert) as well, and I'm sure many people you know have at some point or will. See somebody. And start doing some form of exercise that you actually enjoy, so you continue doing it. If you like outdoorsy stuff, just go for hikes or bike rides and poo poo. Exercise releases endorphins, which helps depression in the first place. Weight loss and looking better will probably help your self esteem and such so that may help as well.Two birds with one stone.

InitialDave posted:

Returning to the subject of Rhyno's bad idea RX7, while that was an FC, the potential for a cheap engine was raised, and I was wondering - what sort of money is an FD 13B turbo unit in "serviceable" condition in the US?

8-15k probably.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

I think the question was misinterpreted - I mean, I'm seeing a couple JDM engines on ebay for $3k.

Yeah, I thought he meant the entire car.

Why would you even buy a 13b TT? :mmmhmm:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Facebook is full of dummies, but there are a few small niches that are ok. Just don't, it's not worth it. I have an account so I check the local trail conditions for biking and that's it. No friends, no posts, nothing else. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You're worried about how very pixelated games look in HD. Now read that sentence again. On another note, I swear you and everdave come to the chat thread with some really silly questions before taking 5 seconds to just google it. :v:

Nintendo will probably offer a really dumb online service since they suck at that stuff historically. So far they've said it will include NES games only but I doubt you'll get to keep them and they may rotate by month or some time period. Who knows until it officially launches, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Congrats on the little fella. And good luck.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My portable washing machine

What? Why?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Anything with a dial gauge.

My lovely HF dial one and the one on my ryobi inflator are both 6psi low vs. my digital pressure gauge. The digital one is the only one that would make my TPMS sensors STFU when I inflated to that pressure, so I trust it more. I just bought a $10 cheap one off amazon, but it's not available anymore.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Unrelated, gently caress being sick. I'm lucky enough that I only get sick every 2-3 years but this weekend was it. And I didn't have my kid around and had cool weather., and tons of tasks lined up. gently caress.

:(:hf::(

Amen. I've gotten sick once a month since the kid has started daycare, including now this weekend. It's loving hell. I feel wiped.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Canceled my Prime membership officially to not renew. Increasing prices, better competition for 2 day shipping (walmart and target do this too), and a bunch of the "benefits" I never really use (Music, video-not much on there worth using it for, etc). And they just chopped the 20% preorder discount on games, so gently caress 'em.

:feelsgood:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Headphones. Or say you're sick and go to a conference room to "quarantine" yourself from getting them sick. I'm actually sick and this is what I'm doing currently, it's the best.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's no loving way Aust politicans are as dumb as ones in the Uk and well and truly not as loving retarded as the USA ones...... but drat are they trying to prove otherwise right now. And no Russian interference needed

Welcome to hell.

I saw something today while driving to work that forced me to slow down 20mph to do a double take. I wish I could have gotten better pictures, but alas:

Yes, that is a Prius and a Baja grafted together in one of the worst mashups I've ever seen. The roof line and windows don't match up at all. That wheel base is like a drat school bus now too. And no, it isn't this one, so there are at least two now in the midwest. :wtc:

https://jalopnik.com/5622844/pruck-priubaru-prius-baja-mashup-defies-your-silly-names

After more googling, this is apparently not as uncommon as I thought.

Meth is a serious problem in the US.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But street cred!

If they miss out on having the first real hybrid truck (no the Silverado doesn't count) they're idiots. I'm gonna laugh if Ford or Chevy does it first.

Sure it does. If you're not first, you're last!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

I vote for no anime in AI, there's a whole forum for that.

:same: times infinity

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Biodome posted:

Came to Les Schwab to get some new tires and they pointed out my car is missing this black plastic cap that secures the wheel from moving around while driving? Anyone know what it's called? Trying to find one on the cheap. Apologies for my gross car.

https://imgur.com/a/bR83uq0

Left is what it's supposed to look like. Right shows the mushroom cap is missing.

Edit: he said it’s the upper strut mount.

Definitely not a big deal. The rubber cap is more for looks than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

ABCF, with A being 93+, and C being 77+.

gently caress that noise

• Locked thread