Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
loving pain in the rear end shift. Despite the rain, it was just a constant flow of patients in all night. Most were rapid turnarounds (including the "I was high on wet and I think I dislocated my shoulder" that I popped back in before the x-ray tech had put the portable unit away), but it's still just constant loving charting. Hurrah for August, worst month in the emergency department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Enourmo posted:

Holy gently caress my eyes been irritated all morning, it kinda hurts for a moment when I blink. Checked just now and there's a loving pimple on the inside of my lower eyelid. Doing my best not to rub it and I've got eye drops so I can rinse it out if it pops, but still, god drat.

It is probably a stye. In this scenario, do not heat up a paperclip over a flame to lance it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Wrar posted:

This practically tells itself. Yikes.

Just referring to a prior situation where this was advisable. I have seen many things, but I have not seen someone jam a red-hot paperclip into his eye or eyelid. Yet.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Maker Of Shoes posted:

you can get a stye anywhere on your eye lid there is an oil gland so that's pretty much anywhere on it or in it. it'll clear on its own in 24-48 hours ish. and yeah, they can be topped with a white head. puss-y oily goodness. your eyeball and associated parts tend to heal up and kick out gross pretty quick.

edit: gonna go ahead and hyphenate that because it sounded better in my head :v:
The word is "purulent." And yes, triage notes say all the freaking time, "Patient states absess with pussy drainage." (It's a lot funnier when it's a labial abscess, but still.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i'm extremely pleased this happens on actual paperwork

Discoverable paperwork.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

slurry_curry posted:

I guess it's finally official, I'm a dad. Even tho I spent 48 hours in the hospital taking care of her, it didn't get really real till I got her home. Now I'm sitting on my couch, baby sleeping on my chest, dog sleeping against my leg and it's ~80 degrees in here, but at least I can watch the new project binky and roadkill episodes.
Congrats! Hope your kiddo sleeps better than ours did. Five months to the day before he slept through the night.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
The loving drip pan for the upstairs air handler just overflowed, which naturally caused a ceiling leak in the nursery, otherwise known as "the nicest room in the house before tonight." Lots of wet blown insulation up there now. gently caress this week.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

slurry_curry posted:

We were pretty worried about how the dog was going to react to the baby coming home, but she is doing great so far. The biggest problem so far is that the dog assumes any blanket/pillow/etc on the couch are there for her use. Hasn't tried to get in them with the baby, but the second the baby is gone, the dog is in her spot. She's not a huge fan of the baby crying, but more in a worried way than a "make that thing shut up" sort of way.
Just wait until the baby gets toys that squeak. Our pup runs over and takes them.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: baby chat - assuming I usually work 10 hour days and have a kid next year, is there any chance of actually making it to the gym 6 days a week as I (try to) do now? I'm wondering if that's completely insane to consider as a possibility.

ahahahahahahahaha

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Oh jesus. The cousin with MRSA might have exposed her 6 month old niece to it. Everyone is panicking.

Don't. It's just a variant of bacteria living on everyone's skin anyway, and in some areas 60-70% of people are colonized with MRSA. All it means is that you have to be more selective in the antibiotics used to treat a given Staph infection.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

bolind posted:

tetrapyloctomy, can I just say that I really like you, your posting and your username?

You may, and I appreciate it! I'm glad when I can actually be helpful instead of just a sarcastic jerk (but it's better when I can be both).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Having finished Ignition! and Structures, and having begun Why Buildings Fall Down, I'd say that the first one is funny but a staggering info-dump at times, the second is dryly charming and informative, and the last thus far is "only" competently-written but is the most accessible of them all, as each chapter goes through several specific examples of structural disasters with plenty of diagrams and such. I like them all, but Why Buildings Fall Down was sort of what I wanted when I bought Structures.

Now I have to sort through my leaking A/C unit fuckery and hope that the old plaster-on-lath under the drywall on the ceiling will be okay (Oh, you thought this would be an easy weekend fix? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha), because otherwise the repair will be MUCH more of a pain in the rear end.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

That's pretty dire. Nothing's 100% certain in medicine, but it sounds like the botched it up pretty badly.

The American thing of calling surgeons doctor is still loving weird though.
... why is it weird? Surgeons are doctors who do a surgical residency.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

It's tradition rooted in a surgeon having a diploma rather than a degree, no longer how it works, but still, a medical doctor who has attained the further qualification of a surgeon, and is now member of the royal college should be referred to as Mr (or Mrs etc). Calling them Dr is somewhat rude.

Yeah, it would definitely cause offense to address a surgeon as "Mr" or "Mrs" here. (Especially the latter.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

I'll address that should it become an issue for me, I suppose.
For your sake I hope you never have to deal with American healthcare.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

I doubt you will hear much argument on that front.
Was that supposed to be some sick burn or something? My point WAS that American healthcare is deeply and tragically broken.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My irony detector is completely off today -- total poo poo week spent sleeping on a hard couch, with frequent interruptions, and now a little ill versus brewing up a kidney stone. So I honestly can't even tell anymore.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

That would be my assessment from what I've seen/heard secondhand.

In this particular instance, no, I did not intentionally imbue my comment with a burn or sarcasm.
My apologies for not giving you the benefit of the doubt. But now I wonder: so, doctors are "Dr Whatever," then when boarded surgeons are "Mr/Mrs Whatever." Are completely non-medical people routinely addressed as "Mr/Mrs Whatever"?

QuarkMartial posted:

How do rational adults vent?
You meet up with a bud over coffee or beer or liquor or whatever, and s/he foots the bill while you gripe.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

How else would you address someone when first names are not appropriate and they do not have another title?
I don't know, which is why I asked -- it seemed that reverting to Mr/Mrs would be strange unless perhaps it was used differently over there. I.e., "Doctor" is a title used to confer special standing, so why get rid of the title after additional training? It's a real point of contention in the states right now, as people with doctorates in nursing are claiming the right to call themselves Dr Whatever in a clinical setting, which is a big issue regarding patient understanding of level of training. "But professors with a PhD call themselves 'doctor' too!" is the general retort, to which my wife (a professor of higher ed) typically responds, "Not in a hospital, I don't, you shithead." We're a good match.

But the REAL problem here is that I'm attempting to logic through something rooted in societal norms.

spog posted:

This thread?
There are no rational adults here.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

You're not getting rid of it, though, it's being superseded by moving from being a doctor to a surgeon. They still have the qualification that grants the title, but now they have another. It's like how a doctor given a knighthood is called Sir, even though they're "functionally" still a doctor. The difference with a surgeon is there isn't a defined title to give them, and so the distinction over a doctor is shown through the use of the historical lack of title, if you follow. If becoming a doctor and being called Dr confers special standing, then so does latterly becoming a surgeon and being called Mr again.

I think the problem with all this stems from people regarding the title doctor as being "superior" to other titles.

This is another one - it sounds she is what here would be termed a lecturer or reader, depending on role, if she were a full professor, then she'd be called Professor, though that's not a universal approach, Oxford have associate professors for example.
It's not that I don't get that becoming a surgeon is considered superseding being a mere doctor, it's just that, from my America-centric mindset, I still find it strange that the return to the lack of a specific title is considered an honor. In the US such surgeons would have demanded a defined title: "That's Super-Mega Doctor Whatever to you!" But yes, it's rooted in the notion that Doctor is "better" than no title, and you see it across all disciplines, not just medicine. My wife, who is an assistant professor, is still Doctor Lastname, and that won't change when she gets tenure and becomes an associate professor, nor when she is a full professor.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My neighbor has an SVX with a freaking caved-in roof covered in a tarp. It's been sitting there for a few years now.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Coasterphreak posted:

I can count on one hand the number of times I've flipped someone off from behind the wheel today ... I think.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Siochain posted:

Wife and I had a good chat - she's going to go have a fairly blunt conversation with HR, and get something set up.
Just a reminder here ....

Geoj posted:

HR exists to indemnify the company from lawsuits stemming from the actions of management, not to actually assist employees.
My ex-wife had a coworker from hell and tried going to HR. She had documentation of all of the issues with this person over time, etc., etc., etc. HR did nothing to address the coworker's issues and instead instructed her boss to do whatever he could at work to make her job miserable enough that she'd just leave, since clearly the person complaining must be the problem. I don't think they counted on someone else relating this conversation to her. She got a lawyer and eventually the company settled, but it essentially wrecked her chances of promotion there forever.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

That's really cool. I have a friend with a 1996 Fleetwood who has been bemoaning the lack of replacement trim pieces and stuff, but he was pretty dismissive when I suggested 3D printing.

He also apparently needs to make a replacement ... sorta plastic skid plate-ish piece? Not sure what that would be called. Right side of the front undercarriage, I think. Can't find any of them in junkyards and such. Sounds like it's going to need to be vacuum-formed given its size. So if anyone in the Philadelphia area has that generation Fleetwood with that part intact, I'm sure he'd trade something decent for the opportunity to copy it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

everdave posted:

Unless I dreamed it some of you guys were maybe talking about popping a dislocated shoulder in a few weeks ago?

I don’t even know if that’s what I had, never happened before. I dropped a very heavy car hood on my shoulder. Started really hurting a few hours later and at 3 am I woke up and it felt like there was a hunting knife sticking in my shoulder blade. I thought I was going to have my “friend” who was over take me to the hospital it was that bad.

Long story short I couldn’t take it and I bent my arm behind my back and just jammed it against the wall and it POPPED and it was instant relief. Like immediate. Is that what this was? A dislocated shoulder or just nothing?

Main reason I ask is bc now it is just a dull ache. Never experienced this.

You absolutely could have gotten an anterior dislocation if the hood fell on the shoulder from behind, but the rest of the history doesn't fit -- with an anterior dislocation you're going to be more or less stuck with the arm rotated out a bit and with the elbow away from the body. "Touch your right shoulder with your left hand" (if the left arm was affected) would be a no-go. People generally don't come into the hospital in a delayed fashion with anterior dislocations, and there's often a pretty obvious step-off at the shoulder that you look at and go, "Yeah, that's hosed up."

On the other hand, if the hood hit from the front, you may have given yourself a POSTERIOR dislocation, which is much more rare but often patients report pain with movement as opposed to immobility per se. You fix anterior dislocations with external rotation of the humerus, so, as you might expect, you can treat posterior dislocation with internal rotation, which is sort of* what you're describing here.

So ... maybe? Hard to tell without having seen you. Regardless, if you dislocated your shoulder in either direction your ligaments are lax or partly torn, so you're going to have to take it easy with that shoulder as it is much easier to dislocate a second time.

* At least my read of it, which is that you put your arm back there like you were tucking in a shirt.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 17, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Square on top could cause an AC tear but that ain't gonna feel any better with moving it around. You could have had a teeensy little inferior subluxation (a partial dislocation, basically).

All of these things point to, "Huh, be careful with it and consider an MRI if it's still hurting in a few weeks." Hope you feel better!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
NES Classic looks fine, and it's super-easy to load on more games.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

ilkhan posted:

I thought it was a closed system? How do you add more games?

There's a program you can Google. Works well.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is there an N64 Classic coming out yet?

I think some people got an N64 emulator to work on the S/NES Classic.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
You get the right ROM, baby, right ROM; not the cartridge, baby: right ROM, right ROM.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
You're lucky. My dog doesn't detect gas, only generate it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

wallaka posted:

Picked up a little something at the hospital today.

GIVE IT BACK BEFORE THE PARENTS FIND OUT, YOU MONSTER

Edit: Cute kid, by the way. A lot of newborns look like constipated, reptilian old men.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

QuarkMartial posted:

Well gently caress. Just found out a friend of mine was hit head on by a 17 year old that was texting while driving. He had bleeding in the brain and didn't make it, but his 4 year old grandson survived just fine, thank God.

Don't text while driving.

Christ. Sorry to hear it. I'm glad his grandson is okay..

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Enourmo posted:

hosed up that you can gain mastery in over two-thirds of a subject and be considered a failure. No wonder we're neurotic as a country.

Nah, because that's not what grades necessarily measure. In an intro course you can ace a test and it doesn't mean you've "gained mastery" in 100% of a subject. In Chem E classes my friends took, on the other hand, in some cases 50% was the highest grade and it was curved as such, because it DID mean they'd mastered enough of the subject to be a competent engineer. For my written boards (which confers no license, only demonstrating that you are qualified to take the oral exam in Chicago), you needed to get a 75% to pass, and I think it's hard to argue that you'd want to lower the standards to be board-certified in my specialty. It's all context-dependent.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Wait... why?

Dude... lawyer. Is this something there needs to be documentation of? CPS? I mean.. that's...scary.

Yeah, this.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
McCain was worse than most will remember.
http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2018/08/mccain

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Seminal Flu posted:

Shocker, a medium-to-far Leftist doesn't like McCain. That exemplifies the polarization that I said earlier on. Everyone circle jerks their polar views and nothing good can come of it.

Shocker, someone posts an ad hominem response rather than acknowledging McCain's decades of disgusting and/or corrupt behavior. He was not a guy to admire, by and large.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
It is an ad hominem when you use his political position to dismiss his points as mere polarization.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
No, pretty sure it still constitutes an ad hominem to completely sidestep all of the points made and dismiss an article based on its author. You've chalked everything up to a leftist circle jerk when, in fact, McCain was a loathsome dude.

Edit: not denying that broadly you are correct re: polarization. Just too brief because of phone posting, which makes me also sound more irritated with your original post than I actually am. I just think in this case that you're wrong.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

redgubbinz posted:

My nuclear hot take: he was a greedy, uncaring rear end in a top hat but I'm not glad he's dead. Bing bong so simple!

On to more important questions, I'm going to the fair and need to know what to eat first so I can maximize my unhealthy food/time ratio.

Funnel cake. Then more funnel cake.

• Locked thread