Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Well yes, this is drama.

Here's my ballpark math, and it may well turn out to be wrong, but: we can either get ~$5-6k out of it without doing anything else, or we can likely see an incremental $1-4k out of it as a stroker. Yes that requires more work, but also represents more efficient profit if my market research indicates the car will go for what it might go for.

I'm carrying the risk in this thing financially. The upside for you stands to be good either way, but it will be better if it's a more desirable car when we put it up for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Listen take my advice with a grain of salt but if you can get 5-6 out of it do it now and move On to the next

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

everdave posted:

Listen take my advice with a grain of salt but if you can get 5-6 out of it do it now and move On to the next

I can sell 2 cars a year in the state without a dealer's license. If we're done for the year, so be it Dave, but selling it for that little doesn't justify me continuing to carry risk and research and annoyance AND all the financials here and to 'move on to the next' like it's nothing.

If Dave wants to make this count, then we should make it count.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, and if you guessed wrong i absolutelu believe the car is nice enough you'll be able to break even on all costs involved, and all I'm saying is I really didnt like working on cars when I quit Firestone, and I still really dont like working on cars. This isnt a dig against you, you arent doing anything wrong, but while you carry the financial risk, I would like to pay my car insurance once without my parents paying it this year, and I'd like to ride a motorcycle I paid for with my labor and got running on my own.

For all the incredible help and flexibility you guys are giving me, on top of the splitting the profit offer, I cant hardly start handing you a billable hours time card on top of everything. Thats why I said it wasnt drama, its stress because every single one of my eggs is waiting in a basket I get once its sold and my personal experience has drilled into me I can't afford to speculate on what ifs.

I literally just choke up even talking *around* anything financial around anybody. This is my layer of seperation.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

K, tough love answer in turn then; the right answer with the $800 from the 4runner was to sit on it and pay your insurance before buying a $600 in-op motorcycle. Having your cake and eating it too and then complaining about the cake is not endearing to anyone.

Once the BMW's back together and sold, what's next for you then?

PS, I don't earn on an hourly basis, and you don't either. The agreement isn't about paying you hourly, it's about splitting profits on cars that can be profitable. This is why I keep shooting down your Chryco shitboxes.

I think you need to get out of an hourly worker's mindset and start thinking about how strategically, you can either choose to make a ~$25/hr cash and untaxed wage on the work you've already done, or turn that into a ~$40/hr wage by doing more work but ultimately working less.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 7, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You guys are heading down a road that won't end well. I did the same thing with an old buddy buying and selling Miatas and guess what we're not friends anymore :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You guys are heading down a road that won't end well. I did the same thing with an old buddy buying and selling Miatas and guess what we're not friends anymore :v:

Emptyquote

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Look, swear to god the entire point of my posting was to illustrate the vastly different perspectives we have on the same event, and why I'm really, honestly not so sure if the stroker is worth it. Really, the only thing I'm sure about is I dont want to become a full time fleet sales mechanic on 30 year old European semiluxury vehicles.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Right, and that's something I'm well aware of. With that said Dave still needs to figure out how he's going to survive, and if his work experience is with cars - but he doesn't want to work on cars - again, fine, so long as he also is connecting "I don't want to do this" with "I'm actively also working toward another goal." He's not doing that, and he may well not have the luxury to do that with as hand-to-mouth as everything is and has been for him for a while.

Right now the cash he's earning is being spent on frivolities - which while maybe good for the soul, doesn't pay his insurance or get him out of a trailer in my yard. Part of the reason I have again offered this opportunity is to help him make more than he can realistically make in many hundreds of boots transactions by being efficient at using his skills. But if you don't want to do that Dave - what's the next best option?

Hence my "what's next?" question.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 8, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hell if I know what's next, Im not really sure which direction things are aiming because, like I already said, i have always 100% been unable to correctly explain what I was trying to say and people start arguing thinking I'm lowkey taking pot shots, when in the reality its something minor I sit on and bottle up until I say something wrong like clockwork. For you, worst case scenario is breaking even on this. Itll sell, guaranteed. Its nice. Worst case scenario for me is you breaking even because you guessed wrong and oops better luck next time. That's hardly an unfair statement to make with how much of a pain in the rear end working on this thing is.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

INCHI DICKARI posted:

Hell if I know what's next, Im not really sure which direction things are aiming because, like I already said, i have always 100% been unable to correctly explain what I was trying to say and people start arguing thinking I'm lowkey taking pot shots, when in the reality its something minor I sit on and bottle up until I say something wrong like clockwork. For you, worst case scenario is breaking even on this. Itll sell, guaranteed. Its nice. Worst case scenario for me is you breaking even because you guessed wrong and oops better luck next time. That's hardly an unfair statement to make with how much of a pain in the rear end working on this thing is.

No, worst-case scenario is losing money on it, and losing WAF to do anything else like this. Think beyond yourself for a minute here.

If a 30 year old, in-very-nice-shape example of an infinitely-documented, highly-supported car that still has new parts made and available for it relatively cheaply via Amazon Prime that you're not paying for out of pocket is this much of a pain in the rear end to work on, then yeah, let's button this up and call it good.

I will point out however, not without some degree of disappointment, that this is something I saw you have terrific energy in for a few days, but now I see and hear you beginning the cycle of self-sabotaging around it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Put the loving phones away. Sit down together and have a mutually-respectful discussion together.

Each explain your concerns, your goals and your thoughts.

Listen to each other.

Understand that you might never agree on what to do and work out what and where you need to draw a line under things.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

INCHI DICKARI posted:

vastly different perspectives we have on the same event,

And that's the problem mostly. I was trying to get the cars out the door, the other guy wanted to spend too much time and money on them (he had car OCD). It was my money, his shop, we didn't agree on how to handle poo poo and things went sour.

Dave if you don't want to work cars just go get a job somewhere that doesn't involve working on cars

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right now the biggest risk for Dave is wearing out his welcome, not having enough supporters to provide his hand-to-mouth otherwise, and winding up homeless (again).

Cooperating on car work plans with Tremek is not necessarily a money-making prospect, that's definitely a risk. But one of the outcomes of taking that risk is continued goodwill, and goodwill is worth a lot. It should never have been presented as a way for Dave to maybe make the critical fund he needed to accomplish X thing.

To put it another way, Tremek thought he had found something useful for Dave to do, and that'd be good even if Dave doesn't really like doing it, because no other survival option has presented itself yet.

Dave not having another plan, and struggling to even face that or have an idea of what to do, etc. is at the heart of the matter of course, and neither Tremek nor this thread's denizens are really qualified to help you with that ultimately. I really hope "help me fix up cars" isn't a condition of continued occupation of the driveway, because that sort of ultimatum is inappropriate for someone with Dave's issues.

Some thoughts.

Working on old cars is super frustrating. Being really hung up on the risks and what it means in the near term moneywise adds to that stress. This is probably part of why it's not a good career choice for Dave. Investing money and labor and stress now for an uncertain payoff soon which may or may not enable some thing which feels very very important now is the story of Dave's last couple years, all revolving around car poo poo. Dude's got PTSD around this or some poo poo like that and dude needs another fuckin' gig, dude is severely hung up on the clear and present crisis of that daunting and seemingly-impossible to achieve future.

I'm no therapist but my layman opinion which has to be taken for amateur and maybe totally wrong but based on some significant experience with family members with some similar but not identical issues is that the firm application of pressure is counterproductive in cases like this. Encouragement, yes, support, sure if you've got it, understanding and sympathy, yes in gobs. "Get your poo poo in shape so you can land on your two feet"? Seems so drat obviously the problem but is also really really really not helpful for people with this sort of psych issue.

I don't know what the right treatment is. I'm just fairly convinced this isn't it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think we found common ground on agreeing low compression motors, stroker or otherwise, are really only good for one thing.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

INCHI DICKARI posted:

[...] i have always 100% been unable to correctly explain what I was trying to say and people start arguing thinking I'm lowkey taking pot shots, when in the reality its something minor I sit on and bottle up until I say something wrong like clockwork.

Don't bottle. Walk away, take five or 10 minutes to compose the thought in your head, then come back and express it. Put that way it sounds loving simple but I've been working on just that for more than a decade and it's slowly getting easier.

It's also pretty much what you're using this thread to do, so well done.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I think we found common ground on agreeing low compression motors, stroker or otherwise, are really only good for one thing.

Am I supposed to see the human face in this thing?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Midjack posted:

Am I supposed to see the human face in this thing?

:stare:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's a giant doll's head, a perfectly normal mechanical component. It's not an actual person and you should not listen to it.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
found Dave in the Gif thread.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

On a completely different note -- Dave, don't undersell the Grater. That's one hell of a bike and with two additional sets of tires (no matter how full of holes they are :lol: ), it's worth more than $400. Check in the YLLS thread, very well may be another goon to buy it. At least list the size, that's critical for people looking to buy a nice bike and who know what they're looking for.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just move Dave to a small car lot he is built in security and do things legal. 4runners as far as the eye can see! The money you save on sales tax should more then cover lot rent and insurance.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Just move Dave to a small car lot he is built in security and do things legal. 4runners as far as the eye can see! The money you save on sales tax should more then cover lot rent and insurance.

Well, you see Dave doesn't want to work on cars, so

-----

Yes I know what you're saying. I have been researching & talking with my wife about forming an LLC to get licensed to deal with some of these issues. However volume is required for making any of that work when there's the added burden of rent and insurance, and we're nowhere near anything like that. I also have a (stressful, complicated) day job that makes any of this work and has to come first. So as with many things, it's not quite that simple.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't like it when you guys fight.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

A few things; Dave doesn't seem to have critical funds because he doesn't have any actual bills that anyone expects him to pay. His parents are paying his car insurance and sending him pocket money, he has SNAP (food stamps) benefits through CO, I think a Goon is paying for his cell phone, and he's not paying rent or utilities.

So anything emergent looks more like a 4th-week-of-the-month critical shortage of discretionary funds for ice cream sandwiches.

As for what's good or not good for Dave, that's both up to Dave and up to the professionals that (should?) be helping him, like his psychiatrist and his newish combination case manager + therapist. If Dave doesn't want to do cars, great, but do something else remains the constant - don't do nothing, and as far as I can tell that remains the only other option he's focused on in spite of CAD, welding, and other things having been offered, presented, and emphasized not just by me but by others.

I think what Dave was trying to complain about yesterday in this thread was both feeling frustrated that he can't ride his motorcycle yet because he can't yet afford to fix it and register it, and also feeling guilty about taking his parent's money and wanting to pay for his car insurance. Well, when he had some money set aside, instead of paying the bills, he spent it within a week on the non-op $600 motorcycle, so here we are.

Now he's "itchy" about where he's going to make money next, so he was trying to pull the plug on the '88 BMW + sell his bicycle because he wants to get his motorcycle functional. As everything has been and probably will continue to be hand to mouth, when we spoke after this exchange on here I heard him saying this emotional angst was driving his feedback to me and the forum at large.

My hypothesis remains constant that with judicious application of funds, parts, and effort, the '88 will turn out well, and will turn out even better than he's expecting. We discussed this last night and he seems to mostly agree. He just doesn't trust anything or anyone, but self-sabotaging behaviors definitely reinforce those outcomes.

We're going to target getting mechanicals and hopefully cosmetics on the '88 buttoned up by EOD Friday, get it cleaned up, and see what happens. Then we'll see where things go.

When Dave and I went to the non-god AA meeting a month ago or so, one of the dudes there said to me "you can't continue to enable him. If he needs to go do more R&D, so be it. But he has to make that decision." The more I think about that the more I realize the dude's right.

I can't continue to enable Dave; in spite of the circumstances, he has to figure out how to adult and I simply don't have the bandwidth, finances, or patience to hand-hold on that front. I'm happy to offer opportunity - that's what I see these car things as - and whether he wants to participate in that or not is up to him.

Leperfish: whatever Dave needs is a very complex thing that mental health professionals and others need to continue to support him in. However, one more thing the AA guy left with me is "no one can want this more than [Dave]" - and unless Dave can dig deep and figure out how to not bite the hands that feed and help him every other week with new drama, I think that we will continue to see the same cycle of self-destruction repeat.

As you said, he doesn't have a whole lot of goodwill out there left to exploit. But the (positive) other side of that coin is that he has an infinite amount of goodwill he can create - but, as discussed in the previous thread - he has to "do the work" of self-care, engaging in positive behaviors and patterns, stay off the goddamned meth, work on his own ambitions and not just complain into the abyss that is FB and this cesspool, etc. and, well, do the work.

Ain't nobody have time for a whiny manchild that can't help himself, but lots of people have time for a person investing in their own well-being and trying to learn how to not be a pain in the rear end.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 8, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's better.

Go kiss him.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get a job and get back into the grind Dave, yeah it sucks but you need to get into a routine that involves full time 40+ hours a week. Once you get used to it again the routine is like breathing and you just do it, then the next thing you know you have money to ride motorcycles, get an apartment and get your cat, etc.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tremek posted:

Ain't nobody have time for a whiny manchild that can't help himself, but lots of people have time for a person investing in their own well-being and trying to learn how to not be a pain in the rear end.

Ironically, to me what kicked off everything yesterday was trying to articulate that I dont know how to discuss things that are actually bothering me without sounding like I was whining, because I would like new and interesting things to complain about.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

INCHI DICKARI posted:

Ironically, to me what kicked off everything yesterday was trying to articulate that I dont know how to discuss things that are actually bothering me without sounding like I was whining, because I would like new and interesting things to complain about.

Bitching about how hard the car is to work on was whining. The constructive conversation we had later in the evening about how you were feeling wasn't whining.

Do you understand the difference?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tremek posted:

Bitching about how hard the car is to work on was whining. The constructive conversation we had later in the evening about how you were feeling wasn't whining.

Do you understand the difference?

I understand, I'm saying I dont know how to default to that style

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I understand, I'm saying I dont know how to default to that style

It's gonna be a learning process, and you're gonna make mistakes. That's OK.

Learning and developing new tools for how you perceive things and communicate with others is really not an overnight thing.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://www.westword.com/location/rhines-cobbler-school-5174909

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got showed this

https://youtu.be/j5B5IGqyy2s

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Compromise is King?

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice
Shorts and thongs are the only appropriate apparel for a wrecker.

E - sorry Yanks, flip flops :airquote:

G-string is not OK around wrecks :colbert:

E2 - been drinking, reading thread. Feel sorry for Dave. Dude can feel joy working on cars, it's clear. Its rewarding, having a win over a recalcitrant car. Find somewhere to work as a technician, rather than a mechanic. Diagnostic work pays well, at least in Aus. Pays well, and the ability to diagnose and rectify faults in modern vehicles is a marketable skill. Godspeed dude

Aquatic Daredevil fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 9, 2018

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Aquatic Daredevil posted:

E2 - been drinking, reading thread. Feel sorry for Dave. Dude can feel joy working on cars, it's clear. Its rewarding, having a win over a recalcitrant car. Find somewhere to work as a technician, rather than a mechanic. Diagnostic work pays well, at least in Aus. Pays well, and the ability to diagnose and rectify faults in modern vehicles is a marketable skill. Godspeed dude

He and I were sort-of having a conversation like this the other day. I asked him something to the effect of, what if you could build cars you liked to build, not just wrench on them - wouldn't you enjoy making money and seeing people drive cool cars that you built? And he replied something close to the thought hadn't ever occurred to him.

He does in fact like wrenching on things, but this comes back to resilience & agency: the bitching of a few days ago seemed to mostly be due to being annoyed at small things, but that then magnifying into an expression of existential angst. He just doesn't have sufficient coping skills for managing angst & frustration... yet...

Yesterday we went and raided that iX parts car for a ton of stuff and came away with a treasure trove for cheap. If we decide to do another e30 at some point we have a bunch of nice-to-haves that will make the next car easier and that I didn't pay much for.

Currently, we need an i head, or, i valve springs and cam, + an i cluster, and then in theory we're in business to have this thing juiced up.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
press F to pay respects to Tremek's furbabb'ys balls today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

INCHI DICKARI posted:

press F to pay respects to Tremek's furbabb'ys balls today

RIP big dumb furbuffalo's nuts, 2017-2018