Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Poque posted:

I agree, 4367 is unfathomable

:glomp:

e: page snipe but it stands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The smart analytical game is boring to these guys like Werth. They preferred the game with pitchouts, stealing, when guys up the middle didn't necessarily need to hit much for power. The game played for RBIs rather than solo dingers. I can respect that.

In point of fact, many fans are feeling the same way. It's not the analytics that is being complained about, but the effect it's had on the game - and in a relatively very short time.

It may simply be a generational thing, I dunno.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

*bangs fists on table*

CALL. HIM. UP.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ZenVulgarity posted:

*bangs fists on table*

CALL. HIM. UP.

*Me, sitting in the N/V thread*

vlad vlad vlad

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

*Me, sitting in the N/V thread*

vlad vlad vlad

VLAD VLAD VLAD

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
N: Vlad

V: VLAD VLAD VLAD

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Since we're talking Vlad Jr, here's this video again for anyone who hasn't seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBZCGWRnJl8

That sound off the bat.... I don't know if its because of a mostly empty park but drat.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Your Taint posted:

The very first batter hit a leadoff homer in that game, too.

Remember watching it on WGN. Can say it was ex M’s left fielder Phil Bradley without checking.

It’s one of two things I even remember about him. That and hitting the rare walk off grand slam with two outs when down by three in 1985. At least that one counted.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I disagree with Mozeliak's handling of the trade deadline, but man is the Cardinals organization world class at developing players. All these dudes from Memphis are varying degrees of good it seems

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Vlad Jr's walkoff in Montreal was probably the best sporting moment I've ever seen in person. Get him up there already (and Eloy Jimenez too)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Travis Sawchik and Ben Lindbergh have a book coming out in a few months about player development and I am very eager to read it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

GalacticAcid posted:

Travis Sawchik and Ben Lindbergh have a book coming out in a few months about player development and I am very eager to read it.

i'm excited to hear that the date's moved up from next spring to a few months

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Look man I don’t have air conditioning so in my fevered longing it’s already winter

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

GalacticAcid posted:

Look man I don’t have air conditioning so in my fevered longing it’s already winter

bro it's a long summer how do you survive

Luis Severino looked like Luis Severino tonight and for that I am grateful

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
N: Juan Soto has more ejections than Nats have playoff series wins

V: :v:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

extremely cool to go 4-3 vs. San Diego and KC

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

Ben solicited the EW Facebook group for title ideas for the book and boy let me tell you there are a lot of tremendously unfunny people out there.

R.D. Mangles posted:

extremely cool to go 4-3 vs. San Diego and KC

The insanely perfect narrative lineup of Cubs and Yankees twitter this year is amazing.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 9, 2018

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Joey Freshwater posted:

N: Juan Soto has more ejections than Nats have playoff series wins

V: :v:

Ok but this is pretty drat funny
https://twitter.com/jamalcollier/status/1027389044303556611

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bad news Cubs fans: I think Tyler Chatwood just flat out sucks no matter whether as a starter or a reliever. You're just going to have to eat that contract as wasted money.

Edit: Also, that Quintana trade is looking worse and worse as the days go by. Do yourself a favor and don't see how Jimenez or Cease are doing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kirios posted:

Bad news Cubs fans: I think Tyler Chatwood just flat out sucks no matter whether as a starter or a reliever. You're just going to have to eat that contract as wasted money.

Did anybody think moving him to the pen would help? It's not like working in relief helps a total inability to throw strikes.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

elentar posted:

He said he told the umpire the pitch in his last at-bat was a ball to “make sure he can understand and be better”
Gibson: "What are you loving Dale Carnegie now? You're gone!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Did anybody think moving him to the pen would help? It's not like working in relief helps a total inability to throw strikes.

A lot of Cubs fans and supposedly the FO did, although I can't imagine it was anything but baldfaced lies to try and justify not just cutting bait with his contract. He really needs to be EJax'd at this point: Cubs took a gamble on his ~spinrate~ and away-splits and it they lost, just accept it and move on. They plan on blowing past the CBA this offseason anyway like all the other competitors, what's an extra dead ~$20m going to change?

Kirios posted:

Edit: Also, that Quintana trade is looking worse and worse as the days go by. Do yourself a favor and don't see how Jimenez or Cease are doing.

It's pretty infuriating that Theo flat out admits they gave up an ace return for Quintana knowing he wasn't an ace, because his contract was so good. Meanwhile the Cubs let Verlander (who held out his trade to Houston to the last possible second because he want to go to Chicago, not that I think he even remotely regrets the Astros trade these days) and Rondon to the Astros because they considered both too expensive. Burn the loving luxury tax to the ground it broke our FO.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey have you guys ever wondered what would happen if Ichiro had a DIY punk mentality?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1027392780035862528

gah

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Do moths eat trash?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

That ump better watch out for line drives in LA.

E: In case everyone else doesn't remember Matt Holliday's hilarious injury history:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=o6jpy_v6B9w

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 9, 2018

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
N: Eighty-One
V: and Thirty-Four

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had a wasp or something fly up my shorts the other day on my bike.

That was fun

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Accident Underwater posted:

Greinke talked about Brian Banister introducing him to sabermetrics, and the two of them used PitchFX data when it was first available. He has a really offbeat personality but he's definitely bright.

ya Zack is genuinely a smart guy and student of the game. Whenever he gives interviews and is in the right space to handle socialization he gives really interesting a detailed breakdowns of his performance.

also the Brewers had a hell of a first inning today:
https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-crews-3-consecutive-hrs/c-2363914783?tid=11493214
https://www.mlb.com/video/c-2364048183

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

N: Eighty-One
V: and Thirty-Four
Remember when JD Martinez couldn't get anyone to make him an offer? Yeah.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah. :allears:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In the past ten or so years, has there been a single team that didnt do service-time fuckery to their star young players?

Is there any chance at all we see Vlad opening day 2019?

Is there any chance the jays try to superfuck him and not have him in the majors till 2020?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zapplez posted:

In the past ten or so years, has there been a single team that didnt do service-time fuckery to their star young players?

Is there any chance the jays try to superfuck him and not have him in the majors till 2020?
The system actively encourages teams to send their top guys to AAA for the first month, because otherwise you are losing an entire year of team control and you would be a bad GM if you didn’t do what everyone else does.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

I disagree with Mozeliak's handling of the trade deadline, but man is the Cardinals organization world class at developing players. All these dudes from Memphis are varying degrees of good it seems

I thought more should be done as well, but I didn't care that *only* Tommy Pham left though like a lot of Cardinals fans seem to be mad about. But, Harrison Bader is an elite outfield glove. And these young pitchers all own. I wish it wouldn't have taken Mo 3 months to do what he did to the bullpen, it was extremely obvious after 2 months.

Carpenter mashing with a bunch of young dudes making amazing plays and pitching well. And no Matheny. This team is fun right now :shrug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not that his away splits are bad or anything but: gently caress Fenway.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

zapplez posted:

I don’t think the Cardinals have, but I feel like service time fuckery is usually for position players. Other than Taveras they haven’t really had any can’t-miss position prospects. Taveras didn’t seem like they screwed with his service time; he came up in late May after rehabbing an ankle injury and the service time screwiness usually results in April callups I thought. They tend to bring up pitchers whenever they’re ready and recently their most-heralded prospects have been pitchers.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I never figured out if Grienke was secretly smart or just an amazingly quotable version of dumb.

Accident Underwater posted:

Greinke talked about Brian Banister introducing him to sabermetrics, and the two of them used PitchFX data when it was first available. He has a really offbeat personality but he's definitely bright.

From everything I have read or watched about Zack Greinke, he seems like the broke brains sort of unusually smart. Like where the stuff that everyone else takes for granted he just doesn't acknowledge or care about, but then he picks up on things no one else would ever notice or think about. Also he is apparently quite socially awkward, but underneath that is a fair amount of brilliance.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Phillies brought up Aaron Nola quick.

I suppose he could have started 2015 in the majors after 11 pro starts in 2014

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FlamingLiberal posted:

The system actively encourages teams to send their top guys to AAA for the first month, because otherwise you are losing an entire year of team control and you would be a bad GM if you didn’t do what everyone else does.

I know why it makes sense, and that seemingly everyone does it. Has there been a star rookie that didnt have it happen? Would Griffey JR been service-time hosed?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/MeekPhill_/status/1027256348323524608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Ah gently caress today's Braves game is on Facebook Live.

gently caress Facebook Live

• Locked thread