Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

MLB N/V August: Your Favorite Player is on Waivers

My favorite local player probably deserves to be on waivers :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

Also the bat had to be round and couldn't have a flat face anymore. All the changes since then are more subtle.

I browse this page every now and then when I'm incredibly bored and I remember coming across "Ole Wagon Tongue" as a nickname.

I don't think anyone ever tried actually playing the game with an actual wagon tongue, but apparently that was a popular band of bats in this time period. I'd assume they were not round.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Counterpoint: Teams shouldn’t sign possible domestic abusers just for the slightly better percentage of winning a WS.

What about signing a man who admitted to molesting his 6 year old niece? Oh, and not in order to win a WS anytime soon. Just because he might be useful.

It hasn't happened yet but I'm afraid it will.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Reiche posted:

edit: I also tore my abdominal muscle from fry heaving during food poisoning and that made my life a miserable hell for a few weeks. No one ever told me you need your abs to do basically anything beyond being in a vegetative state

I haven't done most of the things people are talking about, and I definitely haven't torn an abdominal muscle. But I have tweaked one, and holy poo poo you feel it every single time you move at all. Want to walk? Pain. Want to sit up after lying down, obvious pain. Want to turn over in your sleep? Welcome to being awake, in pain. Want to raise your arm above your shoulder even though that's not an obvious thing that would be connected? Pain.

Like, the only thing you can do is turn your head or wiggle your toes without feeling it, and you'd better not do that too aggressively.

On the other hand it's a great argument for building core strength, because you realize exactly how often that stuff is used.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What's the lowest pitch count in an actual perfect game?

I know Maddux had a couple/few ridiculously low pitch counts in a complete game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

David Cone threw 88 in his, that's the lowest in the modern era (Addie Joss threw 74 in his in 1906).

Joss maybe seems more impressive actually with the defense back then? But dead ball era and all.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Yuniesky Betancourt was similarly terrible and played until 2013.

I'd dig up the article if I was more bored than I am but someone (an ex-political caroonist who for some reason the KC Star pays to write things about baseball now) named Yuni the Royals MVP one year.

spoiler: he was not actually the MVP of a bad team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's lovely what fans (of any team) will say about a player when they make a lot of money and suck real hard at the sport.

Mike Sweeney, who was the only legitimate MLB talent on the Royals for a few years there, was hated by a large portion of the fan base by the time he left. And he basically did nothing but rake when healthy as a Royal until the very end. But he was the only guy getting paid on several 100 loss teams and he had some injury issues so it was somehow all his fault.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 7, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Wasn't Mike Sweeney considered one of the nicest guys in baseball when he played?

Yeah he's super nice and down to earth, super religious too but not in a bad way. I was friends with a girl he went out with for a while way back when and even though it didn't work out she couldn't find a single bad thing to say about him.

e: Well I guess the super religious thing means he has some unfortunate views. But he wouldn't beat you over the head with them if you were just talking to him.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 7, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GalacticAcid posted:

Also I'm trying to determine his pitch count in that game and I can't find it :(

Huh...On the play that scored the only run in that game:

quote:

Double to CF (Deep CF-RF); Mantilla Scores/unER; Aaron to 3B; Adcock out at 2B/SS; Joe Adcock hit the ball into the right center stands for a
homerun, but was declared out for passing Henry Aaron between 2B and 3B; Aaron thought the ball had landed inside the fence; 1B Umpire Frank
Dascoli ruled the final score was 2 to 0 but was overruled by NL President Warren Giles who said that since it was only a double, then only one
run was needed to win the game;

So not only was it a 13 inning game with one hit and no earned runs there was a weird scoring thing that happened too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

the white sox have a guy named "tyler danish" in case you were wondering yes when he was put in to face giancarlo he immediately gave up a monster ding shot

also:
https://twitter.com/SoxOn35th/status/1027005708871577601

Wait a second, the catch is actually written on the wall there right where he made that?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the popes toes posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Grienke who marveled that some of the best players in the game are brainlessly stupid because (paraphrasing) "this games hurts you when you think too much."

I never figured out if Grienke was secretly smart or just an amazingly quotable version of dumb.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

beejay posted:

If a baseball player hits a home run he needs to retire from the game immediately. That is so disrespectful. Please keep the ball within the designated play area.

Frenchy apparently joined the parade of people saying dumb things in the Atlanta broadcast and called them rally killers a couple of days ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sydin posted:

They'll give it to Bioware and we'll get a buggy baseball RPG with a dialogue wheel, craftable weapons bats, a moral choice system where you renegade "problem player" interrupt to charge the mound or flip your bat, and romance options that let you bang members of your team.

Well I'm sold.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Every team loves that stupid poo poo. I see a whole bunch of bootleg TRY NOT TO SUCK joe maddon shirts or Rizzo/Bryant 2016 ones around here

The Royals had a rally praying mantis (actual bug) for a little while.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yes, and you can pry it from our cold dead hands. :colbert:

(I think Florida State does it too.)

Florida State has permission!!!!1/.1km4ljfdasnba

Florida State does have permission of a sort, but it's very sketchy. The Chiefs also do it :sigh:

To be fair it's really eerie when that entire FSU stadium does it, and they're the only ones who get everyone doing it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

There was a national broadcast game this year where the Red Sox were playing some trash team like KC and the broadcast spent the entirety of KC’s batting for an inning with the camera on a dugout interview and occasionally showing the batter in a tiny PiP window. It was hilariously bad.

The Royals are going to give Alcides Escobar somewhere around 600 at bats again for some reason this year.

I'd rather watch the dugout interview personally.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the popes toes posted:

That what I thought too. Depends on what you mean by take the mound. In the MLB, but not the NCAA, the pitcher can be on the dirt but not on the rubber or pretending to be on the rubber. It's only in NCAA that he can't be on the dirt.

I want to say high school and little league follow the NCAA in this, but it's been a while since I bothered learning about all of this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

"that's not my game, man"
-Dee Gordon, when Dodgers coaching encouraged him to try to take more walks

Salvador Perez has the coaches throw him pitches outside of the zone purposely during batting practice.

quote:

Except Perez’s batting practice regimen comes with a quirk. After hitting waist-high pitches down the middle of the plate, Perez asks his coaches to throw him pitches outside the strike zone.

Off the plate. Above the hands. And most importantly, pitches just a foot off the ground.

“I have to (practice) hitting it because I don’t take that pitch,” Perez said. “So I gotta learn how to hit it. If you’re not going to take it, at least learn how to hit the low pitch.”

Ha, I hadn't actually read that article fully, just heard it mentioned. He apparently also bought a tee that stands a foot off the ground and hits off of it every day. Unsurprisingly he had a platinum sombrero the other day.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Just tuned in and saw a Korean player strike out swinging at a pitch that was honestly above her head.

After watching a bit more it looks like this Netherlands pitcher is just all over the place. Got out of the inning though, 9-8 Korea.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Dear MLB thread,

I need to buy a Brewers shirtsey from Player's Weekend. Which one?

Cain for sure.

(I might be biased, but Cain is a cool guy)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GalacticAcid posted:

This is neat.

https://twitter.com/davemyersworld/status/1032347836854284288

For me, "Julio Teheran was the first player to debut who was younger than you."

elentar posted:

So enlightenment.rip will tell you the oldest major leaguer to enter the league who is nonetheless younger than you (for me, CC Sabathia), and also the last player older than you to play in the majors (that’s Bartolo for many, but not all of us).

Yeah Thank God for Bartolo is all I have to say about this tool.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the popes toes posted:

Is it worth the money for an only baseball content interest?

If you're interested in national stuff/reading about a bunch of different teams I'd say yes. If you're interested in local stuff it depends on your market.

You can look around a little and get deals for it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shiroc posted:

I'm going to St. Louis next month to see the Cardinals play the Giants. I have no stake in either team, but I'm rooting for the Cards for the game since I want to go to every stadium and root for the home team. Anything I should know about the stadium or downtown St. Louis?

Touring the Anheuser Busch facility at least used to be a good way to spend a couple of hours if you'll be there longer than the game itself. I haven't been in a long time, apparently they've changed some things but it would still be interesting if you're interested in the process at all. Or interested in maybe seeing a clydesdale if that's your thing (they were out doing some event when I went, much to the chagrin of someone in our group who complained loudly).

When I went you got to sample something like 8 or 10 different beers for free as long as you were 21, but I'm not sure they do that anymore without making you pay for them.

e: sample meaning they poured a bit for you to taste, they didn't just hand me 10 bottles. Although I would have loved that if they did and gone back the next day at that point in my life.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

If anything Ohtani is more valuable than just the sum of these, since he provides value at two disparate positions while only occupying one roster spot.

He's not really saving them a roster spot since they do that six man rotation when he's available to pitch though right?

I'm not sure how much that actually helps him but I guess they might as well be as careful as they wanna be with him.

• Locked thread