Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Poque posted:

Are there generally-accepted and agreed-upon cutoff dates for various baseball eras?

4/20/69 is generally agreed upon as the split between dorkball and niceball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The Braves might...have a decrnt bullpen now? I'd like to see Venters a tiny bit more but Brach looks effective again and I think Minter might make an effective closer.

shut up shut up shut up SDHUT UP

why would you JINX this

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

there's a reason why it's Braves posters who mourn the criminal treatment deGrom is getting, more than any other team including the Mets

tonight he had 1 run of support - a run he himself knocked in. The Braves had a relative barn burner against him, scoring two runs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Probably better than the multiple pages where EHF and I post often enough that someone else just assumes it's C-SPAM

aka, every page in the GDT just about

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I guess they were pretty good this week, still not a sentence I expected to read anytime soon
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1026493370489872385

Obama got a peace prize for not being Dubbya, Braves getting bullpen of the week for not sending out Sam Freeman lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

Here's the game log for May 26th, 1959 Bucs vs. Milwaukee Braves.

haddix carried a perfect game into the 13th and ate a loss lol

this is gonna happen to deGrom this year

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

iospace posted:

Someone post the Rodney gif!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

said this in the GDT but it would be just insanely hilarious if the singular factor of moving from Baltimore to Atlanta turns Gausman from a Teheran to a deGrom overnight

I didn't get a chance to watch tonight but by reports and stat line he had a really good night against a team that is known to score a run or two

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

return to AA I hope

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

fofopmf just loving lmao that Teheran has a winning record yet deGrom doens't

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

Well folks we're circling around to the point where we have to start legitimately thinking if Cardinals Bullshit is actually happening in 2018.

With the Nats, Brewers and Dodgers ahead this is basically gonna determine it.

im still mad at them for the infield fly bullshit

sorry pancakes but it'll be a f ew more years before i can see them doing well and not brood darkly

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pancakes posted:

It’s okay, I’m still mad at the Royals for ‘85 and I wasn’t even a Cardinals fan then.

Of course, the Infield Fly Rule was correctly called in ‘12 while ‘85 was a terrifying miscarriage of justice, but I assume the vitriol’s the same.

shouyld still be throwing beer bottles onto the field to this day imho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

counterpoint: he's going to be amazing forever, Maddux-like, a first ballot HOFer

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

staph gets into your bloodstream it can happen like that, and in a hurry, or maybe sepsis?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

man I know intellectually that Acuna isn't in the ROTY race because he missed like a month, but holy poo poo is this kid hot

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Intruder posted:

Just saw a commercial for the MLB tap sports baseball app, a popup to Kris Bryant that goes super high in the air so he has time to play the app. And for some reason the color guys say "You got time, why not crank a few"

Uhhhhhh

the most offensive part is that they felt like they had to remind me

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1029157427399352322

Fourth player in baseball history to accomplish thisfeat at all, and probably the youngest.

Acuña Matata, motherfuckers!

like 450 feet to center too, he doesn't mash dingers in half measures

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

the guy (probably) leading it (Soto) only has a handful more games played because he got called up about a month later than Acuna so he still has a chance if he finishes strong

that's good to hear, though Soto is also molten hot so it'll be close I think

ROTY feels like the only really competitive one, what with Cy Young obviously going to deGrom. Lots of really young talent in the NL this year

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think Cy is obviously going to deGrom, Scherzer is insanely good as well.

yeah but deGrom has a fun tragic story where he's a Met that the voters are sure to appreciate

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

deGrom deserves it because he is obviously mentally unwell due to his repeated assertions that he wants to continue to be a Met, and so his current pitching despite being in the midst of a psychotic break is incredible

put that in a stat you spreadsheet loving NERDS

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Acuna is now the youngest person in MLB history to lead off 3 games in a row with a HR and just mashed another to open the game up

he's just been utterly ridiculous the last couple series and I hope it gives him some more looks for ROTY

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

in retrospect, probably should've seen a beautiful year coming for him when what was very clearly a ripped to poo poo ACL turned out to be a strain and a bruise

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

And did all the extremely illegal poo poo the Braves FO did that got John Coppolella banned for life. Don't forget that.

Coppelella would've been .200 with 5 homers at this point, tops, good tradeoff

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

elentar posted:

I’m still curious what Coppy actually did that is so much worse than the standard extremely shady poo poo most teams do in international scouting that all that was necessary. I don’t doubt it’s something wild, but the NDAs probably mean it stays a mystery.

For all they lost, the Braves also managed to keep Cristian Pache, who has the look of a franchise center fielder in the making.

honest it's that

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He got caught

there aren't any actual standards of ethical behavior that are expected or observed in any of this stuff, but especially so with the highly opaque international recruiting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

elentar posted:

Acuña’s ascent would be properly mythological if it weren’t for that style of sportswriting going out of fashion decades ago. Still pretty incredible that he basically got better at every MiLB level, and now he’s solving MLB.

Still think there had to be some sort of flaunting of unwritten guidelines where even the other crooked operations felt they had to narc on him. Like he observed there were no real rules, but then thought wrongly that he didn’t have to pay lip service to the fake ones.

it's baseball people so he probably just shook someone's hand wrong or didn't say "sir" so they all decided he had to die

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sydin posted:

They'll give it to Bioware and we'll get a buggy baseball RPG with a dialogue wheel, craftable weapons bats, a moral choice system where you renegade "problem player" interrupt to charge the mound or flip your bat, and romance options that let you bang members of your team.

as you progress along the "problem player" track, your player's skin becomes browner and more covered with non-english tattoos

the shadowy league commish is revealed to be a 70 something white guy pining for what he believed baseball culture was like 70 years ago

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I mean I get that they probably have to claim that the pitch was accidental, but lmao when absolutely nobody in the whole world believes it was, including the POS Mets announcer who said it was just good sense

would've loved to have frankie up in the booth with him when he said it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bewbies posted:

assume urina hit him on purpose, what was his motivation? was he just terrified or what

Petty as gently caress that things are going so great for him while Jeter has turned a struggling franchise into a dumpster fire, or what's more likely in my opinion is that he didn't want to risk being the dude that MLB history was made against combined with being so petty as to actually bean him with a 98mph fastball to the elbow instead of just walking him

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bewbies posted:

like, throwing that hard indicates some sort of serious anger, right? why not just lob a nice easy curveball into his back if you're scared? did acuna gently caress his girlfriend or something?

I don't think we'll ever actually find out but dude was obviously Real Mad and it's not like Acuna antagonizes people, in fact he seems to be super friendly and likable lol

I think he didn't want history made against him and was also pissed that he and his team are doing well while his own is a rolling dumpster fire.

It's baseball tho so lol can't rule out things like he's jealous that Acuna also has the squiggly N thing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Unless something changes the Braves play in Miami next week and Urena is scheduled to pitch

I'm stoked

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Acuna in the lineup tonight

:hellyeah:

I hope he cranks a dong in his first at bat and gets the record

inshallah

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Here's hoping for Atlañññññññññññññññññññññññññta Braves

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oooooh this makes me nervous. I feel like it’s too soon. :(

remember when he did that thing that would've shredded the ACL and MCL of any mere mortal earlier this season and ended up with just a sprain?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chief Nocahoma and his wife are now homeless thanks to you PC SJW warriors!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol Hernandez openly calling for non-whites to be injured if their performance becomes good enough to be deemed threatening by him

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

don't get me wrong, I think his comments are really dumb but calling him racist over this is one hell of a stretch

He said it while chopping

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

New Concept Hole posted:

If you suspend Urena you're rewarding Jeets in his attempt to slash payroll. Fine the team imo

May still happen depending on how much of an example the mlb wants to make of this, it's pretty unlikely he was the only one in on it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ego symphonic posted:

Braves posters go back to whatever forums y’all posted in when your team was bad

What u think I don't have the chops to post both in here and CSPAM lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I’m still mad.

I was hootin an hollarin and not v happy I had eaten a 6er earlier that evening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it's all coming into focus

• Locked thread