Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So apparently the reason the Nats traded Kintzler (and only Kintzler) is rumored to be that they think he was the "anonymous source" leaking clubhouse woes to the press. :tinfoil:

If true I can't wait for a new round of "the clubhouse hates Darvish because he isn't pitching injured" rumors to fly around soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Who's the frontrunner for NL RotY? Is it a goddamn Dodger again? Please don't let it be a goddamn Dodger again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
NL MVP dimensions:

WAR: Arenado leads (4.4) but he's in Coors so won't win, Carpenter in second (4.3) but the Cardinals look like they'll finish at .500 so he's facing an uphill battle, then Freeman (4.0, very possible), Javy (3.9, if he stays hot and the Cubs win the division he has a very strong narrative of putting the team on his back), and then Realmuto (Marlins, not happening) and Cain (see Javy if the Brewers win the division) tied for 5th at 3.6

Dingers: Arenado (28, again see Coors) Carpenter (26, again see .500 team) Aguilar (25 :eyepop:) Harper (25, but his average is too low and the Nats doing too badly for the BBWAA to give him votes) Eugenio Suarez (24, pretty quietly having an MVP caliber year but will get no votes because the Reds) for your top 5.

RBI's (:lol: but the BBWAA cares, so...): Javy (82 :eyepop:) Suarez (81 seriously this guy is insane this year) Arenado (79, COORS) Aguilar (74, he's good y'all) Hoskins (70, would actually be a lot higher in the WAR table if his defense numbers weren't complete dogshit) top 5.

AVG (:lol:, see RBI's): Yelich (.321, hot drat son) Markakis (.319, also working basically identical K/BB%'s) Corey Dickerson (.318 :wtc:) Gennett (.316, REDS), Freeman (.316, he's good)

SB's (I'm running out of dimensions): Trea Turner (26, other numbers are pretty meh though) Marte (25, has also been worth 3 WAR, weren't the Pirates supposed to be bad?) Inciarte (23 but he's doing nothing else really) Hamilton (22 which is pathetic for Billy) Javy (run free my son) and Cain (seriously he's pretty darn good) tied at 19.

Barring somebody breaking out in a big way or a huge regression, Arenado, Carpenter, Javy, Cain, Yelich, Suarez, Freeman, and maybe Aguilar all get votes but I don't know if anybody is super ahead of the pack. I'm also leaving out pitchers so Scherzer, deGrom, and Nola probably get some votes as well although I doubt any of them win MVP.

e. I'll also idly mention that the NL is hilariously dogshit compared to the AL this year, even more so than usual.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 1, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ego symphonic posted:

I dunno, in the absence of an obvious alternative I absolutely think that Arenado could win the MVP if he keeps this up. The Coors field thing is big disadvantage in the voting to be sure, but unless there's some other consensus front runner it might not be enough to disqualify him. Plus his defensive value is well understood at this point and the altitude can't distort that.

He's on pace for the best year of his career so he'll definitely get votes, and if the Rockies make it to the post season he may have a shot. But he's been held down like crazy by the "but coors" argument so far. If the Cardinals weren't 7.5 games out I'd probably give the early nod to Carpenter, who has absolutely turned it around from his rocky beginning and has been a goddamn beast.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

Your ".500 finish" argument is harder to justify when Mike Trout is going to win the AL MVP.

In the years Trout won it was because he was so far and away above the rest of the field that they had to give it to him even though the Angels were dogshit. Even then, there were a couple years he was far and away the best and they gave it to somebody else on a good team anyway. He's also not a lock for MVP this year as he's getting stiff competition from Jose Ramirez (and to a lesser extent, Mookie).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dutchy posted:

Am I a homer for thinking Matt Chapman deserves way more attention

:same: Also he made my top ten favorites because my roommate knows him and he's apparently a pretty cool dude. Also every time I'm at an A's game I'm sitting right next to 3B and get to watch him do his thing, he's a defensive wizard.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In other news turns out Sonny Gray is the next exposed twitter shithead.

https://twitter.com/SonnyGray2/status/245962653548285953

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The world may never know now because he's already deleted his twitter.

or not i guess lol

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 1, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

FTFY

He'd be rich as gently caress.
Don't forget you can buy a 3-year warranty for $24.99 that makes it a bannable offense to post screenshots of any posts you've paid to have deleted.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

I love these .gifs

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1024972343851003904

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

Alex Reyes’ pot suspension versus Chapman’s domestic violence suspension at almost the exact same time will never fail to enrage me.

Yeah but you see pot is addictive and if you do it once you could be hooked for life so they have to come down hard to make sure you kick such destructive and illegal habit. Meanwhile domestic violence is just a one off regrettable incident by otherwise upstanding individuals and as long as they show remorse we can be sure they'll never...

I was angling for a joke but then realized this is probably how a lot of people who run/watch sports actually think, and now I'm just depressed. :sigh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/GeorgeAKingIII/status/1025068313775403009

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The deadball era was insane. I looked up the linked Ed Walsh page and in his 1910 year he was 18-20 with 396.2 IP. That didn't even lead the league and was a down year, his best was 1908 when he was 40-15 with a 1.42 ERA over 464 IP :magical:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:lol::lol::lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Late but jfc

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah those tweets were about an Astros minor leaguer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Well we found A-Rod's drinking buddy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Piece of poo poo child rapist Luke Heimlich got a contract with the Lamigo Monkeys, a Chinese Professional Baseball League team. The CPBL then refused to approve it and ordered the contract be terminated because of the league's zero-tolerance policy towards players with a criminal record.

V: :lol::lol::lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ostentatious posted:

The Oakland A's are much better than the raiders good thing they kept the right sports tesm

I mean, NFL is loving garbage, so they kept the right team regardless. The incredible performance is just a bonus.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh dude your new avatar is so good.

:cheers:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

In other news, Pujols has the most hard-hit outs since 2015. His BABip since then is .245, the lowest in the majors for qualified players. :(

He's slow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
From what I read the incident was captured on video by the hotel's security cameras. So either whatever it is actually isn't that bad/is ambiguous enough on film that Osuna could mount a plausible not guilty plea, or it's just lawyer tactics to get the thing Canadian goons were talking about in the last N/V thread where he doesn't have to plead guilty and gets the charge dropped requisite on good behavior + taking classes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Berzerker posted:

This is not necessarily the case at all, if Osuna pled guilty up front it could have huge impact on his immigration status. He was basically obligated to say not guilty or else he could have been out of Canada a lot faster than the trade. At least that's what I read back in June when he made the initial plea, I don't know the immigration law stuff well enough to dive deeper, just wanted to note it.

Ah, that makes sense. I wasn't aware of the immigration status angle as well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Werth is just mad that Boras is a dumbshit and completely hosed up his FA bargaining position.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Did anybody think moving him to the pen would help? It's not like working in relief helps a total inability to throw strikes.

A lot of Cubs fans and supposedly the FO did, although I can't imagine it was anything but baldfaced lies to try and justify not just cutting bait with his contract. He really needs to be EJax'd at this point: Cubs took a gamble on his ~spinrate~ and away-splits and it they lost, just accept it and move on. They plan on blowing past the CBA this offseason anyway like all the other competitors, what's an extra dead ~$20m going to change?

Kirios posted:

Edit: Also, that Quintana trade is looking worse and worse as the days go by. Do yourself a favor and don't see how Jimenez or Cease are doing.

It's pretty infuriating that Theo flat out admits they gave up an ace return for Quintana knowing he wasn't an ace, because his contract was so good. Meanwhile the Cubs let Verlander (who held out his trade to Houston to the last possible second because he want to go to Chicago, not that I think he even remotely regrets the Astros trade these days) and Rondon to the Astros because they considered both too expensive. Burn the loving luxury tax to the ground it broke our FO.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: It is believed Adrian Beltre would approve a trade to the Cubs

V: I don't even care that he's actually not that good this year, get this wonderful man, Theo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

It’s nice Morton found 4 mph somewhere.

*extreme Trevor Bauer voice* "Well you know, when you systematically cheat the system by using pine tar..."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well at least the Cubs weren't the only contenting team to get smacked around in a series vs the Padres.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Felix Hernandez has been moved to the bullpen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I will continue to contend that Felix was simply overworked to the point that his arm fell off. Between 2006-2015 he threw 2178 IP, or an average of 217 IP per season. There just aren't a whole lot of pitchers these days who can handle that kind of workload and come out the other side looking good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs sign Jorge De La Rosa after he was cut from the D-backs for being loving awful this year. Presumably because at this point Joe will take anybody who has a pulse and throws left handed to slake his thirst for matchups.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Jansen out for a month to deal with the heart issues, scary stuff.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Today the Cubs beat the Nationals. Jeremy Hellickson's final line: 5.2 IP 0 H 2 ER 4 BB 3 K

V: :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

This kid is going to be an absolute unit someday.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

I'm not saying he's certain to win or that this pace is sustainable, but hearing from all the Cubs fans at the office that Javy Baez is the only possible choice for MVP this year has given me yet another complex.

Which is funny because everything I've read is that Javy has, at best, an outside shot because voters don't like his lack of discipline. :shrug: I think he has to a) stay scorching hot (and he's already cooling down lately!) and b) the Cubs have to win the division so he can win on the strength of the narrative.

Carpenter could win it, but he's going to face the Trout problem of being one of if not the best player in the division but also on a .500 team, unless the Cardinals really go on an insane run. My guess is that barring something insane it'll probably default to Freeman since he's really good, has all the aspects voters like, and is playing on a very good team this year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ego symphonic posted:

I get how deGrom has a higher bWAR than Scherzer, but what kind of weird weighting is going on in there where Aaron Nola is worth 2.5 more wins? Scherzer's pitched more innings and has both a lower ERA and FIP :confused:

He beats Nola in fWAR, which is far more heavily tied to FIP.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1028844289684656128

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
MLB N/V August: My favorite baseball team is Mike Trout

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

"Why doesn't MLB have more young fans?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine flipping the bat in a moment of pure adrenaline and bliss because you just managed to hit the home run that every loving kid who ever played baseball in their backyard has imagined hitting but only 28 players before you have ever accomplished, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat for your team. Then the next day the sports talking heads from your own goddamn regional media browbeat you into apologizing for it.

Baseball needs a people's revolution to seize the means of play from these decrepit fucks who want every player to be a blank emotionless cog in the greater machine of their "traditional" sport.

• Locked thread