Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

iospace posted:

Also, I have a strong feeling that the NL MVP is going to come out of the Central.

Dex has some thoughts on that. https://youtube.com/watch?v=Am_sy4Kufh0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Johnny Bravo posted:

Ohtani is expected to pitch again this season, likely in September. Depending on how that goes, he could still win RoY I think.

The White Sox last 2 months would be brutal and worth complaining about if they weren’t hot garbage.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

Lance Lynn is unironically a better starter than Gray, wouldn't be surprised to see him take the mound and Gray gets shuffled off into the bullpen

I guarantee he gives better postgame interviews.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GalacticAcid posted:

but he throws real fast

Alex Reyes’ pot suspension versus Chapman’s domestic violence suspension at almost the exact same time will never fail to enrage me.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

iospace posted:

Wait, MLB has no problem with weed? :psyduck:

They don’t test for it in the majors, only the minors. After Reyes’ second positive test the Cardinals immediately put him on the 40-man so he wouldn’t be tested for it any more.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Rick Ankiel is allegedly considering trying pitching again at the age of 39.
V: I would be so happy.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Matheny getting on that Christian grift train is pretty perfect.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
We could probably make a Notable SAS/MLB dates calendar. What are the standards? Nolan Ryan/Ventura, Bobby Bonilla Day, Barrold's intentional walk RBI, Billy Mays Day all in the regular season, Randy Johnson kills a bird in spring training, etc.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Is there a specific "Crazy Crab" day you could point to? Maybe June 3 for Pedro being perfect through 9 but losing the perfecto in the 10th.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Poor Dex. You we're too beautiful for this world.

Gonna keep posting this Dex/Carp adorable video until someone acknowledges it. :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am_sy4Kufh0

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
gently caress's sake, is Tyler O'Neill hurt now?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I already did my yoga for the day and I was gonna invite Poque to come rock climbing or jogging with me, but it looks like he's dead.

Root for the Cardinals, embrace their evil power and be infused with vigor by their dark pact, y'all.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

An intentional walk to every batter who is then picked off trying to steal second. 0 pitch no hitter.

When is Urias due back with his clearly illegal pickoff move, again?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Grittybeard posted:

What's the lowest pitch count in an actual perfect game?

I know Maddux had a couple/few ridiculously low pitch counts in a complete game.

Addie Joss in 1908 with 74 pitches. Runner up is David Cone with 88 in 1999.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Cardinals claimed Tyson Ross off waivers for some reason. I guess trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

We need a MaddonShrug.gif but for the Cardinals making inexplicable player deals. Best I can find on short notice:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

elentar posted:

What is with you people leaving your baseball and Japanese pop culture thread tabs open side by side

Probably better than the multiple pages where EHF and I post often enough that someone else just assumes it's C-SPAM

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GPTribefan posted:

Only Brendan Frasier can answer that

What I always remember about him, more than any of his roles:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S1zA2_sS2_s

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Remember how the Cardinals drafted a super young guy this year named Nolan Gorman? He's doing pretty well so far for Johnson City. The past week he's hit .583/.615./1.292 with 4 dingers, 10 RBI, 2 walks & 2 strikeouts. His wRC+ is 183.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 5, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

Jessica Mendoza: I feel like the Astros traded integrity, instead of prospects.

...ouch

She's going to get some... problematic Tweets leveled at her, isn't she?

I mean, aside from her weekly hate-Tweet from Curt Schilling.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Abel Wingnut posted:

eloy up soon, maybe this week, per levine

Check out the Twitter replies to their announcement that they’re bringing up Not Eloy to replace Leury.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Not surprised Wacha's in there, but annoyed.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

:woop:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm sure he'll end up on the Mets.

The man’s suffered enough; don’t make him deal with the Mets’ handling of pitchers.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's lovely what fans (of any team) will say about a player when they make a lot of money and suck real hard at the sport.

I wish Dex were playing better too but a lot of Cardinals fans have eagerly adopted the “lack of hustle” narrative and it makes me very upset. Sure, let’s refer to a black player as essentially “lazy”. Great take, not a problem at all Cards fans. :negative:

There are many reasons I fled my hometown. The pervasive racism in southern Illinois is definitely one of them.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

the white sox have a guy named "tyler danish" in case you were wondering yes when he was put in to face giancarlo he immediately gave up a monster ding shot

also:
https://twitter.com/SoxOn35th/status/1027005708871577601

They keep spelling his name as "Tyyler" on the big screen and it's slowly driving us insane.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ZenVulgarity posted:

*bangs fists on table*

CALL. HIM. UP.

*Me, sitting in the N/V thread*

vlad vlad vlad

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

That ump better watch out for line drives in LA.

E: In case everyone else doesn't remember Matt Holliday's hilarious injury history:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=o6jpy_v6B9w

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 9, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

zapplez posted:

In the past ten or so years, has there been a single team that didnt do service-time fuckery to their star young players?

Is there any chance at all we see Vlad opening day 2019?

Is there any chance the jays try to superfuck him and not have him in the majors till 2020?

I don’t think the Cardinals have, but I feel like service time fuckery is usually for position players. Other than Taveras they haven’t really had any can’t-miss position prospects. Taveras didn’t seem like they screwed with his service time; he came up in late May after rehabbing an ankle injury and the service time screwiness usually results in April callups I thought. They tend to bring up pitchers whenever they’re ready and recently their most-heralded prospects have been pitchers.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Speaking of service time fuckery, call up Eloy you shits.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

New Concept Hole posted:

They're more familiar with the Infield Fly rule than anyone else

:getin:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Best Cardinals ones are “Jerk-Oh” and “Tots” for Bader.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

New Concept Hole posted:

Playing for the Reds is like being in World War 1

Constantly getting shelled.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Liking “Mini Horse” for Glasnow

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Kind of sad neither Yadi nor Hicks made reference to the Assassination of Yadi’s Testicles by the Cowardly 102-mph Sinker.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

news: mookie betts owns

views: not actually news

it's a shame that oscar taveras killed himself in a car accident since he has the best jersey nickname of all time MINOR LEAGUE GUY

More of a shame that he killed his girlfriend driving drunk. :negative:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

Did he get ejected in literally the last out of a game?

GET MONEY

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Timby posted:

Who's the last amazing pitcher who just suddenly fell off a loving cliff like this? I'm racking my brain and I can't think of anyone but, like, Harvey, and he was never a superstar.

Attributable to injuries, but Waino. :negative:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
A comprehensive list of players in baseball with more home runs than Matt Carpenter this year:
JD Martinez
Jose Ramirez
Khris Davis

That is all.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tom Gorman posted:

Carpenter needs to stop hitting so many dingers.

A Bad Take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Twin Cinema posted:

This thread isn't talking about Vlad Jr. more.

Currently hitting .433/.538/.800 and now has 3 homers in the past 3 games.

I was pretty excited for Auston Matthews, as a fan of Toronto-based sports teams, but I am even more excited for Vlad Jr.

VLAD VLAD VLAD

That being said, Matt Carpenter is on a 28-game on-base streak during which he's hit .353/.468/.892 with 16 homers. He's also hit 6 home runs in his last 7 games (I think).

• Locked thread