Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You keep the talents and abilities you've earned when you change careers, right? If I get a Large and Vicious Dog and then become a Soldier, I keep the dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

You keep the talents and abilities you've earned when you change careers, right? If I get a Large and Vicious Dog and then become a Soldier, I keep the dog?

Yup. Can't buy skills or talents from your old career though.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
So: one thing I'm struggling with. Where in the book does it explain how to use Parry and Dodge? In the combat section, all it does is state that melee combat employs opposed weapon skill tests to determine if someone hits or blocks, with nothing specifically mentioned about parrying or dodging. The sample combat also only gives examples of opposed weapon skill tests for melee, with no mention of Dodge or Melee (Parry) being used to defend, only Molli's Melee (Basic) skill.

Further, there's no real mention of how or even if one defends against a Ballistics test. What it describes is just a binary 'the attacker either succeeds and hits, or the attacker fails and misses' with no mention of any input on the defender's part.

So, I'm sort of struggling here. I assume that you use Melee (Parry) and Dodge to make opposed rolls to defend against Melee attacks, and Dodge to defend against Ballistics attacks, but I'm only guessing here and I can't find anything that outright says that this is how it works. I'm probably missing something, but I've read the combat and skills section a few times and I'm either missing something or else it's just not there.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the rules for fighting multiple opponents while outnumbered? Combat Master is a talent that lets you count as multiple characters for the purpose of numbers, but I can't find the rules for out-numbering themselves because this is the preview version and it refers only to page @@ and there's no index yet.

In other words please help I apparently can't read :saddowns:

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
The parry and dodge rules are currently missing from the preview and will be in the full release. Same story with outnumbered.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

psudonym55 posted:

The parry and dodge rules are currently missing from the preview and will be in the full release. Same story with outnumbered.

Oh okay, I thought I had merely gone insane.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

psudonym55 posted:

Dominic described it as complete apart from the index and maps, and yet there's a whole shitload of stuff missing, because it's poo poo.

The more I read the rules, the worse it gets

The more I read people talking about the rules, and trying to twist themselves into pretzel-like knots to justify bad game design, the more I understand how D&D 3.0 was succesful because brokebrains are everywhere. The latest idiocy is that there is no looting, because there are no rules for looting, and you cannot encounter a ranged weapon until 20 sessions into the game, and we'll just ignore the career that starts with one, and the careers that have the money to buy one.

I know that c7 did minimal playtesting, I know that their most experienced developer was left out of the process (and is now leaving the company) but they've absolutely hosed up their biggest release and have no idea how to address it, to the point they're not going to make any major changes and at best just use the wealth of feedback as a final proofread. Company is hosed within 2 years.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Think you are being a tad too harsh. Given that they are still taking the time to fix this stuff.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
tbh they should probably delay it a couple of months but they've put themselves in a bad position with getting too eager to announce. Seems pretty chaotic at C7.

Anyway I don't want to say the game is ruined before the game actually releases. At the very least they've said this is an older draft they put out and things will likely change in the final release.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hey everyone the full game is actually released. Now with a cool map as well.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_info.php?products_id=248284

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 24, 2018

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
The parry, dodge, and outnumbering mechanics are all present.

Okay, I'm ready to try to stat out Guts from Berserk

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
I'm in the USA :patriot: Does anybody know when I can easily pick up a physical copy of this? I bought some of those 5e Lord of the Rings books from this same publisher off USA Amazon

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
So on the parry rule. You need a shield to parry ranged attacks. But since damage is based on your net success levels. If for example you are hit with a 30 and they have 50 BS, but you parry with a 80 with 40 WS does that mean you take more damage from the arrow than the person without a shield who could not have parried the attack?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

psudonym55 posted:

So on the parry rule. You need a shield to parry ranged attacks. But since damage is based on your net success levels. If for example you are hit with a 30 and they have 50 BS, but you parry with a 80 with 40 WS does that mean you take more damage from the arrow than the person without a shield who could not have parried the attack?

The Shields also provides some defense buffs while parrying. But yes that should be the case.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wait are they doing the thing where each parry degree of success reduces the attack’s by 1? If so, are you still only allowed one party a turn? Someone back during the dark heresy 2nd edition playtest laid out all the math on why that’s a bad idea, coming down mostly to the fact that partying should be an all or nothing success and that the number of bonuses you can get to an attack will far outweigh those you can get to a party or dodge.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Your autocorrect really love to party.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
You mean you don’t like to party attacks?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

fr0id posted:

Wait are they doing the thing where each parry degree of success reduces the attack’s by 1? If so, are you still only allowed one party a turn? Someone back during the dark heresy 2nd edition playtest laid out all the math on why that’s a bad idea, coming down mostly to the fact that partying should be an all or nothing success and that the number of bonuses you can get to an attack will far outweigh those you can get to a party or dodge.

Everything is an opposed roll, basically, and there are just circumstances where you can use Parry or Dodge instead of testing your own weapon skill.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

fr0id posted:

*everything* is an opposed roll comparing DoS now, and there is no limit on how often you can do that

the balance is also different than DH2 in terms of bonuses- quite a few talents add bonus DoS to defensive tests

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fr0id posted:

Nah you just gain extra armor reducing the damage overall if it is successful.

Tricky posted:

Everything is an opposed roll, basically, and there are just circumstances where you can use Parry or Dodge instead of testing your own weapon skill.

Except for normal ranged attacks, which are normally unopposed.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You can Dodge ranged, you just can't contest it with Melee unless you have Shield 2 or are at point blank range.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SunAndSpring posted:

You can Dodge ranged, you just can't contest it with Melee unless you have Shield 2 or are at point blank range.

You sure cause this is what it says on that

page 160 posted:

Ranged attacks cannot be opposed with Melee Skills unless
you have a large enough shield (see page 298), or if they
are at Point Blank range (see page 297), where it is also
allowable to Dodge.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Could someone sell me on this game?

RPG experience:
DnD 3.5, 4e, 5e, DCC, LotFP mostly

Favorite RPGs: DCC, LotFP(for simplicity and easily to adapt/change rules)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

You sure cause this is what it says on that

I mean the game has some holes and difficult-to-interpret writing, but you should definitely be able to use Dodge to oppose ranged attacks- Dodge is its own skill, not a Melee Skill, so there's nothing in the rules indicating you can't use it in an opposed test against a ranged attack

the final line is confusing, but I think its just a catch-all to indicate you've got to be in circumstances where you could also feasibly choose to dodge in order to oppose a point-blank ranged attack with weapon skill- i.e. in a close range scrum you can use a combination of movement and pressure to hamper your opponent and consequently avoid getting shot, but if your legs get immobilized by magic you can't actually parry a pistol bullet out of the air

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Could someone sell me on this game?

RPG experience:
DnD 3.5, 4e, 5e, DCC, LotFP mostly

Favorite RPGs: DCC, LotFP(for simplicity and easily to adapt/change rules)

The obvious sale point for most people is have you ever played Warhammer Fantasy Battle? Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay started out as an RPG set in the rich and detailed Warhammer Fantasy setting with rules that were easy to map from one game to the other, and the ability to drop your PCs into major battles. And despite being written in 1986 at about the same time as the Dragonlance saga the first four parts of The Enemy Within campaign still stand up as one of the best adventure paths in history and certainly superior to anything Paizo has ever written.

The rules are little you will be unfamiliar with - there's a fairly notorious Ryan Dancey review of WFRP 2e in which he praises how it had taken many of the design innovations from d20. The only problem with that review? Every single point he picked out as being like d20 (or like d20 just using a percentile dice rather than a d20) actually came from WFRP 1e and 1986.

The setting and the role of PCs is one you should enjoy if DCC is one of your favourites - you really do start at the bottom even if with no funnel; the iconic starting WFRP character is the ratcatcher with a small but vicious dog - and we mean a literal ratcatcher as a starting class. We also have a magic system that will cause regular side effects up to and including summoning hostile demons independently of whether the spell succeeded (although the more power you use the more likely it is that you take some sort of backlash). It's also the sort of setting where there are cults everywhere (and they can summon demons), where there is a secret race of ratmen living in the sewers that do not officially exist (and there's magic keeping it that way), and in which the communion wine is literally more likely to give you the galloping trots than it is to do anything to protect you from demons.

What do you want to hear more about? (Bear in mind that it's a new edition so we don't know everything yet)

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I don't know a lot about Warhammer. I only really got into it when Total War Warhammer came out, but I love it. Similarly I only just got into DnD, but knew I'd love if it could stretch into the Warhammer Fantasy universe.

So I'm pretty hyped. I tried looking into it a little and a bunch of people grumbling about SJW propaganda usurping all the lore, but I'm not into Warhammer lore enough to give a poo poo if they're right or not. I'm just really interested in the deadliness of the combat.

I do also strongly prefer physical books so I guess I still have to wait a bit.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 12, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

If someone mentions SJW in any negative term, anything before and after should safely be ignored.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The lore hasn't changed at all, it's just that there's a bunch of example characters in the Career part of the book that are PoC and that drives the typical suspects nuts (especially the Noble being represented by a black guy).

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
There's also one (1) mention that Rhea, goddess of love, fertility, and agriculture, has a tenet that says "Never judge whom another loves," and as everyone knows Grog Christ decreed there can't be anyone anywhere that isn't wildly homophobic in a fantasy medieval-to-early-modern setting because then you'd break the immersion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Daeren posted:

There's also one (1) mention that Rhea, goddess of love, fertility, and agriculture, has a tenet that says "Never judge whom another loves," and as everyone knows Grog Christ decreed there can't be anyone anywhere that isn't wildly homophobic in a fantasy medieval-to-early-modern setting because then you'd break the immersion.

Rhya already had wandering abuse councilors who also help out with birth control, medical care and relationship advice in 2e's Tome of Salvation, this is hardly a jump.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They’re probably also mad at the number of ladies, black people and black ladies in the art.

Or the big enthusiastic dwarf lady that is one of the class pics.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Any place still selling the regular edition? Every place I could find in a google search was sold out except for the much more expensive collector's edition.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
Have you tried cubicle7's store on their site? Pretty sure they still have them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My group is going to play this but I haven't read the rules yet; we're quite familiar with all the percentile versions of both WHFRPG and 40KRPG, any confusing rules we should watch out for, anything someone's had to talk through with their group?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

My group is going to play this but I haven't read the rules yet; we're quite familiar with all the percentile versions of both WHFRPG and 40KRPG, any confusing rules we should watch out for, anything someone's had to talk through with their group?

I would highly recommend finding a cheat sheet/flow chart for the battle system. In particular it can take players a while to get how opposed rolls work in the new edition. (In particular, that you can succeed on an opposed roll even if you fail the skill roll, as long as your opponent fails harder.)

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

so who's the golden boy this edition? the rat-catcher, the toll collector or the grave digger?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can the + 1 AP to all locations granted by the Mrymidia miracle be sacrificed to avoid a critical hit?

Edit: Our GM, at least, says no.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 29, 2018

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Glad to see this thread. I loved this game back in the 1980s and I’ve always hoped it would be properly revived.

But I’m concerned that Cubicle7 are going off the rails. The delays in launch, the questions re editing, the lack of communication, the unclear pipeline all suggest that they are running into troubles. I hope not.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
My hard copy showed up yesterday. Time to see how much of a fiddly mess it is!

I loved 2e, aside from a few spots where the math didn't seem to add up. From reading descriptions of 4th, it seems like maybe they overcorrected and added more overhead, which makes me pretty skeptical. Don't we all want our games faster and more streamlined now?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
if only there was a total conversion of 3e to star wars. 3e was good for streamlined but creative play. sw refined all the fiddly poo poo and is my ideal system right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

if only there was a total conversion of 3e to star wars. 3e was good for streamlined but creative play. sw refined all the fiddly poo poo and is my ideal system right now.

I love it too. 3e was too limiting, but the fusion of more traditional stuff with the cool dice in Star Wars is great. It probably wouldn't be that hard to homebrew it with Genesys, the generic version of that system.

Some dork out there has probably already done the work.