Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A what is coming update for 4e.

https://www.cubicle7games.com/wfrp4-upcoming-releases/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Seems a little ambitious considering their current rate of release. Would be nice to see all of TEW before the year's out though. Shame they're still laser-focused on the Reikland, minus the Middenheim book, there's more to the Old World than the emperor's back yard.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A little more than 'quite soon' for DotR would have been nice, an actual date (even approximate) even more helpful.

I finished Bogenhafen last week, so I don't know now whether to run some side quest adventures for a bit or put that game on hold for a couple of months and run something different in the meantime.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They just announced a second batch of Ubersriek adventures. With the first one being out already. (It's pretty cool Involves a Necromancer who can summon an undead army.)

https://www.cubicle7games.com/ubersreik-adventures-2-deadly-dispatch-pdf/

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Are any of those campaigns 'new'?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cassa posted:

Are any of those campaigns 'new'?

Ubersreik Adventures are new. The Enemy Within stuff has a lot of changes and expansion, and might as well be new in many cases.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Fair. Are there any rules for making a group of hangers on into a kind of angry mob/group? My DM is currently running our seamen compatriots as individuals and it's killing me.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Give them the swarm trait from the bestiary

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any good program to make a Renegade Crowns map? I just want to fill a grid with simple colours and pictures, basic stuff.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any good program to make a Renegade Crowns map? I just want to fill a grid with simple colours and pictures, basic stuff.

Personally I think Hextml is a pretty light and good enough map maker to work with Renegade Crowns.

https://hextml.playest.net/ It has a square grid mode on it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

Personally I think Hextml is a pretty light and good enough map maker to work with Renegade Crowns.

https://hextml.playest.net/ It has a square grid mode on it.

Nice! Thanks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Started making a Renegade Crowns province. It's fun, but it seems that hextml can't draw rivers or roads in squared mode.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Rivers and roads are janky which is probably the biggest issue it has, it works via a dot system where you select a square then move to the next one but it often looks ugly. I'd say just drawing them yourselves after doing the map itself would be better probably.

I honestly think you could easily make a map in hex mode anyway given it'd make connections between areas more obvious to players wanting to explore and I just prefer hex modes in general really.

But even for square mode it isn't as hard as you think it is provided you don't try to go diagonal across a square.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 6, 2020

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Soulbound is available to order now.... well TECHNICALLY now, as the website is getting poo poo slammed. You can grab the PDF off DriveThru with no problem, the physical book is a little tougher.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Physical book is still a little while off.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
The PDF when bought directly from Cubicle 7 appears to have a limited number of downloads just fyi.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Ok, that is definitely good to know. I am greatly enjoying the many variations of dark elf classes in this.

I'm going in with no knowledge of AoS, and I don't know, the lore isn't bad! Some cool ideas in here. At least it's different from Tolkein Variant #3,482.

Please dont beat me

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Age of Sigmars setting has improved greatly with the work of a few clever writers, The novel Plague Garden by Josh Reynolds is a really good book, enjoyed it greatly as an intro.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Hrmm.... so there's no intro adventure in the core rulebook. I don't know how I feel about that.

Granted, it's not like they are ever amazing in any given rulebook, so I'm not dying over it, but I dont want to buy the starter set for the first official adventure.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

I’d agree that I’d love a pdf adventure just to give a framework to the game. That said:

The WFRP starter set was actually incredible value for an experienced GM as it was basically a city book for Ubersreik, it had a bunch of short adventures and then about 70 city locations. Every city location had a blurb describing its history, function, NPCs etc, then two adventure seeds. It meant you could play the city as a total sandbox, the players could walk into any numbered location on the map and you had an adventure hook to toss at them.

They’ve said the Soulbound Starter Set will be the same for the recently reclaimed city of Brightspear, so it’ll be great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hrmm.... so there's no intro adventure in the core rulebook. I don't know how I feel about that.

Granted, it's not like they are ever amazing in any given rulebook, so I'm not dying over it, but I dont want to buy the starter set for the first official adventure.

They normally release a free one pretty quickly. And another adventure should be coming out after the Starter set.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Including an adventure in the core book is a lot of paper for something that you’ll only maybe use once, and that’s assuming you’re a GM. It’s never made much sense to me.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So I just realized looking at the rules, despite Shadow Magic saying it ignores armor points for damage of any Lore (Shadow) spells, it doesn't have any spells that actually does direct damage.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ChaseSP posted:

So I just realized looking at the rules, despite Shadow Magic saying it ignores armor points for damage of any Lore (Shadow) spells, it doesn't have any spells that actually does direct damage.

I believe that also means it ignores armor when you're using the generic attack spells that aren't petty magic if you're a Shadow mage.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I guess you're right, I forgot via casting rules that you cast Arcane Spells with your specialized lore skill.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Thought experiment: What do you think is the weakest/worst career?

I feel like it has to be either Villager, Scholar, or Artist. They all have fairly niche skills and less useful characteristics for being an adventurer, and their talents aren't great either. Of those three, Villager has low status and the Peasant class has weaker careers imo than the Academics and Courtesan classes, so you don't even have a lot of great cheap career options. I'm interested in other people's opinions though, especially what they consider valuable in a career.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think Artist is because it's one of those extremely niche things that's fun to roleplay and can be woven into a story easy enough but just on its own it has probably the most useless focus. At least Scholar gets a lot of different knowledge things so just odds are in your favor of ONE of them helping and I think Villager has access to some useful stuff like animal handling type skills that at least make them a useful pack mule for the party.

Tbh in Warhammer my only real value for a class is 'can I have fun with this' and for all of them the answer is 'yes perhaps', and any GM should be able to slip some stuff in to at least give the most 'useless' classes some moment to shine. Mr artsy pants can't contribute a TON beyond general social skills, but hey maybe this town has strange rumors of cultist stuff going on, and oh gee looks like Slaanesh cultists are behind it, those guys like art, good thing we got artsy pants is here who can tell us which art is legit and which is spoopy cult art, or make some stuff to get their attention, or whatever.

My biggest point of ranking classes, though, is how can they progress. Not just in terms of class evolution (some classes are good as is and don't need to change if you don't want!) but do the upgrades and skills and all you get as you play your class help you be a better (whatever you are). The best ones let you go from mr dipshit kinda poo poo bandit to a highly skilled thief even without having to start the next class in the 'sneaky stabby class' chain, that feels really good to do and it fits the Warhammer vibe of 'even the coolest heroes probably poo poo their pants and tripped over the poo poo as they ran from a single skaven at least once'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 13, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Death on the Reik comes within the next three weeks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have a good fillable character sheet that they'd recommend, preferably one that doesn't require a pdf reader to edit? I'm having trouble editing documents on Mac preview and I do not have access to a printer otherwise I'd just print character sheets.

edit: managed to find this character sheet manager: https://warhammer.matpb.com/home

It works pretty well and is free!

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 17, 2020

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Am I reading something wrong or does Shallya not have a miracle to put wounds back on?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ego Trip posted:

Am I reading something wrong or does Shallya not have a miracle to put wounds back on?

4e Shallya seems to be primarily about cancelling conditions and undoing crits rather than being able to heal wounds like she could in 2e.

Considering critical effects are much longer lasting in 4e and you're more likely to get critted without the fight just being over, that might be more important.

Still weird to me that Shallyans can't just restore wounds but other kinds of magic can, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

4e Shallya seems to be primarily about cancelling conditions and undoing crits rather than being able to heal wounds like she could in 2e.

Considering critical effects are much longer lasting in 4e and you're more likely to get critted without the fight just being over, that might be more important.

Still weird to me that Shallyans can't just restore wounds but other kinds of magic can, though.

There is a generic miracle for curing wounds that all Blessed can learn. Those Miracles count as belonging to whatever god gives you powers. (Spells are similar)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It doesn't heal very much, though. Blessing of Healing does have the advantage over the 2e version where you can use it more than once on the same person, but it's mostly for out of combat healing.

Compare to the 'get d10+Mag wounds back' version in 2e, which can really make it hard as hell to kill a geared and armored fighter, and Shallyans really aren't as good at that same job here. They retain their other anti-BS powers, though.

E: Also the 4e version of Martyr is much better. Though their anti-BS spells like cure disease and their corruption cure now hurting the Shallyan is kinda eh.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any good free scenarios/adventures to run for new people? Looking to run Night of Blood since that shouldn't take longer than a session or two.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Regarding 2e, would the following house rule, make the tyranny of swift attack lesser.
Mighty shot, mighty strike, when full attacking/ aimed attack, add A characteristic to damage?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Night10194 posted:

It doesn't heal very much, though. Blessing of Healing does have the advantage over the 2e version where you can use it more than once on the same person, but it's mostly for out of combat healing.

Compare to the 'get d10+Mag wounds back' version in 2e, which can really make it hard as hell to kill a geared and armored fighter, and Shallyans really aren't as good at that same job here. They retain their other anti-BS powers, though.

E: Also the 4e version of Martyr is much better. Though their anti-BS spells like cure disease and their corruption cure now hurting the Shallyan is kinda eh.

Given you don't really need weapons as a Shallyan, going full absolute tank with Martyr is probably good enough if you throw it on someone vulnerable to being hit. It shouldn't be that hard to just get 4 TB as a Priest with average rolls meaning you're taking 8 Wounds off any damage taken with Martyr, not counting armor.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 17, 2020

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

I think Artist is because it's one of those extremely niche things that's fun to roleplay and can be woven into a story easy enough but just on its own it has probably the most useless focus. At least Scholar gets a lot of different knowledge things so just odds are in your favor of ONE of them helping and I think Villager has access to some useful stuff like animal handling type skills that at least make them a useful pack mule for the party.

Artist feels a lot like a 2E basic career, in that unto itself it's sort of scattered and the only thing it does better than another job is knowing/making art, but there's a lot of little things there like getting Strength raises and Stealth at tier 1 that make you go "oh, you could transition from this into another career and build a stronger adventurer off this base", like Duelist or Spy.

It's weird bc 4E design doesn't really work that way as often, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The funny thing is in 4e, fighting as a Shallyan is actually more viable than ever. Quarterstaves aren't terrible weapons, Strike to Stun is an awesome talent, you have the 'pulling punches' rule to ensure you don't kill anyone, and the strictures changed to explicitly allow defense of yourself and your patients.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Verisimilidude posted:

Any good free scenarios/adventures to run for new people? Looking to run Night of Blood since that shouldn't take longer than a session or two.

Not free but the Ubersriek adentures series is pretty helpful. Gives a lot of material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Night10194 posted:

The funny thing is in 4e, fighting as a Shallyan is actually more viable than ever. Quarterstaves aren't terrible weapons, Strike to Stun is an awesome talent, you have the 'pulling punches' rule to ensure you don't kill anyone, and the strictures changed to explicitly allow defense of yourself and your patients.

Yeah I think the direction they took Shallyans is just a more interesting playstyle than spamming your Healing miracle.

Also I gotta say crossbows are still useful albeit being 5gc certainly makes it harder to start out with one. But 9 Wounds is still nothing to gently caress with.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 17, 2020